Abel to Yzerman

As Big Freighters Go, Franzen’s Bigger Than Most. He Might Want To Consider Playing Like It.

Two things before we get started.  1. Donate.  This is the time of year to do it.  Paul is tireless and he does this for you guys. Donate.   2.  Carolina. If the Wings are done after two more games, you can look back to a Friday game against Carolina as the real culprit.

Rumor has it that Sergei Fedorov was on the training table in some dressing room, maybe St. Louis or even Denver, in '97. Steve Yzerman, a man some would consider the greatest Captain of any team in the history of organized sports, hobbled in and pretty much called him a name typically reserved for felines and 63 percent of all Denver males.

Yzerman, according to lore, informed Fedorov (the original Enigma) that pain is pain and men are men and that pain doesn't stop a man from doing the job other men need him to do.

I don't remember how Fedorov played the rest of that series but I distinctly recall thinking he should have won the Conn Smythe that year instead of Mike Vernon.

Henrik Zetterberg returns tonite. Reports conflict as to how much he'll play but the latest I saw was that we could expect "limited minutes."   Having observed Zetterberg for greater than a decade I'd guess "limited" will equal 18-20.

But what he does on the ice could be minor compared to what he should be doing this minute, and that is establishing residency inside Franzen's head and needling his strange brain with barbs. He should be reminding Franzen what he's capable of and what a shit show he's become.

Zetterberg needs to pull an Yzerman to Franzen's Fedorov.  The challenge should not be as tall, considering they're most likely close friends. I do not sense Yzerman and Fedorov shared that type of relationship.

Franzen could very well be hurt, as Fedorov probably was in '97, and as Yzerman was in '02 and Shanahan was in '98, as Zetterberg undoubtedly was last year and in '08, as almost every hockey player is during the playoffs. Every single year.  No athletes play through the kind of pain hockey players do during the playoffs. Didn't a hero of Franzen's almost lose a testicle in '09? I don't remember. So, yeah, he's probably hurt. Got it.

So play through it. I know it's easy for me to say but guess what? I don't make the millions Franzen does to be a hockey player who lives up to his potential.

Tonight has got to be it.  And, I'm sorry George, but I'm not buying the glove theory.

12 goals in '08.  13 in the '09 playoffs.  No more than six in any playoff since then.  Johan Franzen is living off the reputation he established for himself over two postseason years.

Marian Fuching Hossa.  Jesus, Kenny.

So here we are. This is, indeed, the live blog, bitches.  If you look back about a week and consider who gave the Wings a shot to win, cut that number in half.  This morning on Sirius, Mick Kern and Mike Rossi asked Dennis Potvin if the Wings had even the slimmest chance of winning this series.  Potvin said absolutely not.  Even if Boston falters, the Wings can't compete in any area. None. They're done.

We'll see.  If the Wings lose, this series is indeed over.  But...if it gets all crazy and Detroit pulls this one out?

We shall see.

As stated, it's a Live Blog, bitches. Oh..and in the Zetterbergian fervor I almost forgot to mention...

...there will be a serial killer on the ice tonite, for what it's worth.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 9 10 11

stonehands-78's avatar

game

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/24/14 at 11:10 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

And thats the shit that goes in, un-fuching-believable

Posted by Hootinani on 04/24/14 at 11:10 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I have no words. Fuch. See you bitches next time.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 04/24/14 at 11:11 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

oh…....that stinks…...Still believe Gus was Huge!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/24/14 at 11:11 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Heart broken. But what a battle. Proud of our team.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/24/14 at 11:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

wow what a lucky goal, but they had been stacking the odds against us for 30 minutes.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/24/14 at 11:12 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 04/24/14 at 11:13 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

good effort,

gutsy.

see ya Saturday in Beantown, 19.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/24/14 at 11:14 PM ET

VooX's avatar

A tale of two games.  In the first half, we controlled the narrative.  In the second half, it was the Bruins’ game.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/24/14 at 11:15 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

yes it was.  barring a freak bounce the odds were with the Bruins.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/24/14 at 11:22 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

What a shitty pool bank shot to end such a close game. Time to cue the bandwagon trolls. Gus deserves another game after that performance.

Here’s hoping Nike and tinkey are soaking this all in. They are having a rough time in this series so far. Until Saturday 19

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/24/14 at 11:29 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Saturday.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/24/14 at 11:35 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I agree that Gustavsson earned another start.  Sounds like Uncle Mike might agree.  In the post-game press conference, someone asked about Howard’s availability for Saturday and Uncle Mike said, “Well, I thought the goalie played well.  So we’ll get that sorted out.” (I’m paraphrasing.  It tickles me the way he calls Gustavsson “the goalie.”  Guess he doesn’t have a Babcockian nickname for him yet…)

If nothing else, the “kids” are learning a lot, which bodes well for next year.

But it ain’t over yet, so…

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/25/14 at 10:11 AM ET

For all the excuse making about officials and dives, when not only did the Wings receive double the PP opportunities in game 4 along with making a habit all series of grabbing onto Boston’s player’s sticks at every opportunity, along with their normal clutch and grab interference laden backchecking. I think my only question is when do Detroit fans hold their players and coaching staff accountable, rather than blame everyone else but.

Posted by realmk on 04/25/14 at 10:49 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by realmk on 04/25/14 at 10:49 AM ET

Criticizing others for bitching about the way the games are being called by bitching about the way the games are being called.

I guess my only question is when do half-ass trolls hold themselves accountable for such third-hate trolling rather than blame everyone else?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/25/14 at 11:48 AM ET

Just calling things how I see them. At the end of the series it’s the players that make the difference. I think the refs have been pretty good in this series on letting the boys play for the most part. I feel Boston is simply the tougher team in regards to depth. And that has shown itself to be true throughout this series.

Posted by realmk on 04/25/14 at 11:52 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

You mean aside from the part where you bitch and whine about how they let Detroit get away with all that “stick grabbing” and “clutch and grab interference-laden backchecking” (which you seem to think is unique to one team in the league)?

Sorry, my bullshit detector says you’re still bullshitting.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/26/14 at 02:50 AM ET