Abel to Yzerman

As A Fan, This Detroit Red Wings Season Has Been…

Brutal.

Expected.

Eye-Opening.

Way too long.

Tough to watch.

The season for the prospects.

I don't know, stopped following.

Choose from the above but I am sure most of you have your own opinion.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

As A Fan, This Detroit Red Wings Season Has Been…

More of the same, with no indication that anything is going to change.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 03/18/19 at 12:08 PM ET

calquake's avatar

As A Fan, This Detroit Red Wings Season Has Been…

A “process”.  cheese

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 03/18/19 at 12:22 PM ET

I’d have said expected. Particularly with the injuries from the beginning of the season.

Posted by teldar on 03/18/19 at 12:30 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

A “process”.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 03/18/19 at 12:22 PM ET

downer

Status Quo with the same process.

It nice to see Larkin and AA grabbing the cheese though.

The Live Blogs are still fun and usually hilarious, no matter what! The 19 rules!
cool smile

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/18/19 at 12:41 PM ET

As a fan this year has seemed aimless

Posted by akwingsfan on 03/18/19 at 12:49 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Expected, but still slightly painful to watch.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 03/18/19 at 12:52 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Points minus Games Played

Ott -16
LAK -13
Det -12
NJD -10
Ana -5

Posted by RWBill on 03/18/19 at 01:00 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Will be nearly impossible to finish other than bottom 2-4, which still could result in a disappointingly later pick.

Posted by RWBill on 03/18/19 at 01:03 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

At this rate they have a 2/3 (65%) chance of NOT getting a top 3 pick.

Posted by RWBill on 03/18/19 at 01:06 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

At this rate they have a 2/3 (65%) chance of NOT getting a top 3 pick.

Posted by RWBill on 03/18/19 at 01:06 PM ET

Good stuff RWB, thanks

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/18/19 at 01:11 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Expected and lately frustrating with the wins and the talk of resigning the guys that they should let walk or have traded at the deadline to make the rebuild move faster. Talk of Blash being extended isn’t what I wanted to hear either.

Hoping for Yzerman but still looking at it as an outside chance until I hear differently. I have more hope for next fall with more kids maybe making the team… unless Kenny constipates the roster.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 03/18/19 at 01:17 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Expected.

The CBA and lottery system are designed to punish winners and reward losers, we won for far too long and then kept floating around never let the ship bottom out.  The last 2 season and next season were going to happen, needed to happen, and we will be better for it.

If we would just play Howard down the stretch, this Bernier getting hot and winning us games needs to stop.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 03/18/19 at 01:21 PM ET

Expected and will be disappointing if they don’t get a top-3 pick.

Posted by George0211 on 03/18/19 at 01:21 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

What we needed.

anddddd (bonus answer):

What we need for a couple more years.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/18/19 at 01:55 PM ET

Tough to watch.

Posted by Probie4Prez on 03/18/19 at 02:00 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

10 games to go!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/18/19 at 02:10 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I really like our team.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/18/19 at 02:20 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I don’t know if there’s any good place to put this, so why not here…

I was at the Griffins game Friday night.  I don’t know how many of you have watched the Griffins this year, but I have to say - I was absolutely not impressed with any of the players.  None of them showed any reason why they should be in the NHL.

HOWEVER, there was one exception.  There was one player who was all over the ice, had great opportunities (but couldn’t quite hit the net), and looked like he has great potential to be in the NHL.

Marty Frk.

So the point is, it’s easy to say, “let’s call up all these guys and see them in the NHL!” but when you see how they actually play in person against similar talent, it becomes clear that maybe they aren’t as good as we think they are.  Frk was the best player for the team, hands down, the night I was there.  But he couldn’t cut it in the NHL and didn’t get picked up on waivers.

Unfortunately Zadina wasn’t playing; I would have loved to see how he did.

Rybar was in net and he’s got some serious work to do.  He vastly over-commits on cross-ice plays and doesn’t handle the puck well.

Sulak was disappointing.  I expected more but he was behind the plays and not quite positioned well.

Givani Smith was unnoticable.

Jake Chelios is sort of like Glendenning; he goes where the puck is, pressures well, and covers a lot of ice.

Anyways, that’s my game summary.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/18/19 at 02:39 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Brutal as far as lack of veteran leadership goes. Hard to watch re;  Blashill saying one syllable.

Fun to watch any game with the 19. So, it’s not all bad… wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 03/18/19 at 02:49 PM ET

...overwhelming evidence to bring back Blashill, Kronwall, Howard. Maybe Vanek too. Can’t have a roster of 20-year olds!

Posted by rogerrab on 03/18/19 at 03:01 PM ET

Expected.

I’m really enjoying the crash. for almost my entire time rooting for this team they’ve been beating up the league to the point it was a little embarrassing admitting I’m a long time Wing’s fan. Now, seeing the team struggle, make bad decisions and play some awful games allows me a chance to experience what other fans have faced while I enjoyed the seat at the top. In short, it’s a nice view from the bottom and I’m glad to see the team have new challenges rather then who are we going to get on June 1st. Heck, I forgot there was a Draft Lottery to care about.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/18/19 at 03:38 PM ET

Frustrating. Immensely frustrating.
Watching the excuse making for an inept coach from the start of his contract and continuing through his next!
It irks me to no end watching Vegas and NYI build success out of a largely nondescript group but our guy has permission to suck because he’s not getting carried by some superstar.
Sadly, all indications are that next year will bring more of the same.

Posted by Ventr on 03/18/19 at 04:20 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Just about what I expected…..

And next season not a whole lot better, unless:

1. Wings win the lottery

2. Zadina takes big steps

3. Someone from GR, or Junior ( Hicketts, Sulack,Valeno…etc) comes in and steals a roster spot.

4. The Wings tender an offer sheet to a RFA.

5. They don’t bring back any one legged defenseman

6. They find a way to magically disappear several awful dead weight contracts

Ahhh..I can hardly wait to training camp to begin….. sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/18/19 at 05:04 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Concur

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 03/18/19 at 05:06 PM ET

Frustrating. Immensely frustrating.
Sadly, all indications are that next year will bring more of the same.
Posted by Ventr on 03/18/19 at 04:20 PM ET

Yeah the NYI story is an interesting one. Lou comes in with energy and a plan. Meanwhile Holland comes off in recent years having this defeatist attitude, like his job is such a chore. First thing Lou does is fire the GM and the entire coaching staff. Goes out and hires Trotz coming of a Cup win. He had a great 2018 draft with many analysts declaring NYI as one of the draft day winners. He then let’s Halak walk and adds Lehner. Great move. Also replaces the goaltending coaches. Another great move. Goaltending is now the strength of their team rather than the weak link. He brought back useful guys like Filppula, Komorov on nice contracts. Locked up Hickey to a nice deal. And basically has started a culture where the organization stops making excuses and starts getting more respect. Illitch could have had that here…

Posted by rogerrab on 03/18/19 at 05:12 PM ET

Expected, but can’t be graded until summer.  The season if just the first step, the next steps will be more important.

Draft
Free Agents(both ours and others)
RFA Offer Sheets?
Trades?
Blashill’s future?
Possibility of Stevie Y’s future.

I guess a lifetime with the Lions has prepped me to look forward to the off season…

Posted by murph1jj on 03/18/19 at 05:52 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Brutal

Posted by w2j2 on 03/18/19 at 06:16 PM ET

Posted by rogerrab on 03/18/19 at 05:12 PM ET

Here we go again. anyone sensing a pattern with Roger’s comments? they sure remind me of someone…..........

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/18/19 at 06:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by rogerrab on 03/18/19 at 05:12 PM ET

Posted by howeandhowe

Yep, and the pattern has been stopped.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/18/19 at 06:32 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/18/19 at 06:32 PM ET

thank you.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/18/19 at 07:31 PM ET

Sort of worse than expected, actually.  I kind of knew that the Wings were gonna be out of the playoffs for a third year, but I didn’t really anticipate the Lose-For-Hughes phenomena.  The games that I did get to watch, it was a lot of fun watching the kids skate, but they were skating back and forth.  They chased the play…a…lot.  Way too much for way too many games.

Can we just forfeit these final games and take our chances in the lottery early?

Posted by SYF from Jackie Redmond's blue eyes on 03/18/19 at 07:34 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Pretty much as expected.

...until after the trade deadline where they got smacked good a couple times. Then it got real painful.

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/18/19 at 07:36 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

What I hoped to see was progress from the younger players this season, and I did. The older players were disappointing this season, along with an atrocious defense.  sick

Posted by bigfrog on 03/18/19 at 09:43 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 03/18/19 at 02:39 PM ET

Good points, TK. I love Hicketts, but I’ll admit that Chelios looked to be the best defenseman in the games that I watched this year. That’s not exactly encouraging.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 03/19/19 at 08:10 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

As A Fan, This Detroit Red Wings Season Has Been…

Expected.

In consideration the final results the previous two seasons along with the off-season moves, it was clear the downward trajectory from 2012 would continue.

Tough to watch

Hard to tell if if’s poor talent, bad instruction, bad systems, or (most likely) combination of all three, in conjunction with a poorly balanced team, the hockey is atrocious with scattered glimpses of individual stand-out play. It is boring and tedious to watch.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 03/19/19 at 09:39 AM ET