Abel to Yzerman

All The Wings Cleared Waivers

Elliotte Friedman's twitter has all the people claimed.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Lots of hand-wringing about a 1st rounder possibly being lost for nothing. Unsurprisingly nobody wanted to take a chance on him.

Posted by MZ2215 on 01/12/21 at 12:08 PM ET

Geno cleared.  I’m shocked (I’m not)

Glad to still have him in Detroit.

Would still love to see this kid make it, but odds are stacked against him at this point.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 01/12/21 at 12:52 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Surprised at no claim on Oliver Kylington from the Flames.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/12/21 at 12:53 PM ET

Paul's avatar

In case you are wondering, today is an off day for the Wings. Practice tomorrow, host the Canes on Thursday.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/12/21 at 01:23 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

And I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that Yzerman—once again—knew exactly what he was and is doing.  I guess the gratuitous and deliberately antagonizing-for-fun label of “yzerholland 2.0” doesn’t apply…again.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/12/21 at 01:27 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I stand by my frustration that Gagner and Ryan are on the Wings roster and Svech isn’t.  But I am relieve to hear he cleared.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/12/21 at 01:36 PM ET

Svechnikovs center his draft year was PLD.  I think most GMs believe PLD was the reason for his standout success.  A first pick means nothing if they dont develop and his injury history has made it hard.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/12/21 at 01:41 PM ET

I’m a little surprised Kylington wasn’t claimed too.

I thought Svechnikov might be claimed but also
argued why he might not be, while admitting i have
zero professional experience in hockey.

Was that “hand-wringing”?

Was someone else actually lamenting his loss to a hysterical degree?
I didn’t see it. If someone did it might be the normal reaction of a fan
who had invested something in a long-time prospect who’s had terrible luck,
wanted to see him do well in Detroit, and would prefer to see him get a chance with
the Wings.

What’s obnoxious and pointless is someone showing up when he’s not claimed
and mocking other commenters for “hand-wringing”.

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/12/21 at 01:42 PM ET

Obnoxious and pointless account for most our conversations about the wings Lefty lol.  I dont think Master Chief was directing it towards you as Im aware of the antiyzerman commenters here as well.  So theres merit.  Everyone here i imagine would agree youre pretty level headed about hockey.  I would at least.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/12/21 at 01:50 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/12/21

Beautiful!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/12/21 at 02:03 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

For the record, I don’t mind hand wringing. We’re all experts at it by now.  What I mind is the people who rip Yzerman just to be contrarian because baby jesus, all 11 pounds, 4 ounces of he/him, invented the internet for contrarians.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/12/21 at 02:21 PM ET

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/12/21 at 01:42 PM ET

Sorry for not being more specific. There was a lot of hand-wringing on twitter yesterday (as well as some here) by some personalities that may have RW podcasts and/or another website/message board.

Looked back at your specific post in the original waiver thread and definitely wouldn’t lump you into that camp. Think i agree with just about everything you said regarding his skill level/history/etc and how that would possibly appeal to another team.

Posted by MZ2215 on 01/12/21 at 02:55 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

@Iwo, good to see an old name! I haven’t been on this site in earnest in almost a decade, but used to post all the time in the game threads in 08-11. Good to back. I wonder if any of the oldies are around still, KatefromPa etc. Go Wings.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/12/21 at 02:58 PM ET

Ha - guess I took it a little more personally than was
warranted. Sorry guys and gals.

Thanks for explaining and, most of all, I’m glad (for us?)
Svechnikov wasn’t claimed. Is it possible under the laws of this universe
the kid can stay healthy and actually play, say, half the games this season?
Maybe show just enough to get some meaningful mins by the end?
I wonder if he wishes he’d been claimed, though, if only because it might mean
he’d be more likely to play NHL games sooner.

I’d not realized PLD was Svechnikov’s center in the Q.
Those are two big strong forwards on one junior league line.

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/12/21 at 03:08 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I certainly remember you Itrusteddrrahmani. Even though my eye site is not very good, I still trust in you.

I imagine you will see more old names in the Live Blog we have foe every game.  Kate does those but if Mr. Houlihan ever wants to step in, he knows the blog is his.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/12/21 at 03:10 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Great to hear Paul, and great job with the site. Here’s to a solid season of Wings hockey, and an improvement on last year’s campaign (which should be doable).

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/12/21 at 03:13 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Good news.  cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 01/12/21 at 04:06 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/12/21 at 01:27 PM ET

Clearly you miss the point, the label fills the bill like a finely tailored suit.

Yzerholland2.0 isn’t a label given with the view that Holland was a dunce that sucked one thumb and hid the other between his seat cushions while he spun around.

Instead what Yzerman did is the same thing this entire fanbase kicked and screamed and cried (and cried and cried and cried) about for the last 10 years, which is bringing in 3 or 4 Vets at the tail end of their careers who have no future here, that push kids we want to see off the NHL roster, the bench, or to the 5-8 minute a night roles. Hence he’s Yzerholland2.0.

And guess what, like Holland, in most these similar cases, it panned out, the young player who lost that tie to the vet, or needed to grow up to play in the mans league did that or flamed out.  I am not surprised he passed through myself, given his injury and the requirement that he would have to stay with the big club for about 30 days.

Guess what, in a season projected to finish bottom 5, with no elite talent on the roster, i’d rather see what Svech has than watching Samuleson and Williams, I mean Gagner and Erne.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/12/21 at 04:22 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Bummer about Andrew Ladd. When Healthy he is a 20 goal scorer but the injury bug has been biting at his heels to often.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/12/21 at 05:16 PM ET

I remember you as well Doc.  Your name made me laugh evrryime I read it.  Still rocking the same profile pic.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/12/21 at 06:05 PM ET

It’s amazing how many power forwards like Ladd,
fairly gritty guys who play hard games and have enough skill
to pot some goals, fall off around the same age and never recover.
But it’s not so surprising why.

It seems like a career season or two strung together, a big, long-term contract,
an unsustainable points total that relied on prime age, health, the right line mates, puck luck, etc sets them up for expectations that are too high, just as they are wearing down from injuries playing a hard game and are due to regress hard to the mean - a mean that’s realistically declining with age anyway. But because power forwards have been in such demand, someone always overpays. Maybe the new team is an adjustment - new players, new systems, lots of distractions and logistics moving across the continent. They get off to a bad start. Or get hurt but feel pressure to keep going. The press and fans start to ask “what happened?” and begin to pile on.

Could probably list a dozen guys within a few recent seasons off the top of my head.
Power forwards hitting about thirty and signing big deals.

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/12/21 at 06:12 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Still rocking the same profile pic.

Haha, yes I was surprised myself when I logged in and saw that thumbnail.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/12/21 at 07:21 PM ET