Abel to Yzerman

A Fan Asks Gary Bettman For Answers: Transcribing Fingernails On A Chalkboard

A lot of people find it difficult to listen to Bettman interviews.  Some mentioned in the comment section of this post that they couldn’t listen to all of my interview with Gary at the recent Shanahan Summit.

The A2Y interns are not fans of Bettman, either.  When I asked them to transcribe our interview, they kept muttering something about wanting hazard pay and trauma counseling for the job.  Knowing A2Y’s budget has been blown on hookers, puppies, fire-trucks, and H2H bail, I sent them home and started to transcribe my interview with Gary Bettman myself.

As part of A2Y’s fair and biased forum, I will simply give you the transcript of our interview now.  I’ll save my commentary for another post, including my feelings on Gary Bettman referring to the 2004-2005 lockout as “the offseason”.

VooX: So I write for a blog called “Abel to Yzerman”, you may or may not know about us.  I will say this, I respect you coming and talking to me, because we have said some pretty mean things about you in the past.

Gary:  I hadn’t noticed.

VooX:  That’s okay.  We’re not looking for any extra viewers, we’re okay with 19.  Question to you from a fan, first of all, what gave you the idea to do this?

Gary:  Well, it’s always good to be reflective of what you have, and what you might be able to do to make it better, or to conclude that what you have is good enough the way it is.  We did this five years ago, during the offseason, and it has paid excellent dividends in terms of the way the game is being played now and the way the game has evolved.  So the thought was this is a good time to, since we’re coming off a season where I think most people think the game is as good as it’s ever been on the ice, that this was a good time to take a good look at it; and having Brendan Shanahan working with us, I thought it would be a good project for him to do.

VooX:  Going back, Shanahan has had his run-ins with your office for disciplinary issues.  He’s one of the grittier players, and a credit, maybe, to bringing that type of player into the NHL.  What made you reach out and offer him a position?

Gary:  I’ve known Brendan over the years, I’ve always respected the way he’s conducted himself on and off the ice.  I think he’s had a hall-of-fame career, and I think he is a smart guy who is passionate about the game.  And he was looking to do something after his playing career ended, and we both thought coming to the league office would be a good fit for both of us.

VooX:  Is he going to be a good fit as well coming up to the new CBA negotiations?

Gary:  We haven’t focused on that yet.  I’m not sure why people are focusing on our CBA negotiations, they are a couple of years away ‘til we reach the end of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.  It was just extended an extra year.

VooX:  Okay.  I have a question regarding the cap.  Now, there’s mixed emotions about caps, I’m sure you’ve heard a lot of arguments.  In economics, we learn that if there is a salary cap, or a price ceiling or floor, you generate not only inefficiencies in the market, but you also generate what’s known as “black markets”.  Now, obviously, the NHL doesn’t have a black market, but the KHL is thriving.  Does the salary cap give the KHL more opportunity to get players they who otherwise fit in, and give them more legitimacy in Europe?

Gary:  First of all, I’m not sure that everybody would agree that the KHL’s “thriving”.  And secondly, the fact is, overwhelmingly, the players that want to play in the best hockey league in the world, want to play in the NHL.  But we’re not concerned about the KHL.  We wish them well, but we don’t view them with concern.

VooX:  Would a way to have NHL make, maybe, some inroads into Europe as having a development league for, maybe, teams or players who can’t fit under the cap to play in another league that’s NHL-based, not KHL-based, would that be a good way to break into Europe?

Gary:  Well there are leagues in Sweden, and Finland, and Germany, and so your question presumes that the only two leagues in the world are the NHL and the KHL, and that’s just not the case.  And we try to be very respectful of those other leagues, and what they mean for their countries.

VooX:  Okay.  Another question I have is regarding fan access to online content.  You’ve mentioned before that you consider NHL fans to be among the most media-savvy and technology-savvy.  And yet I know, we’re Red Wings fans, we have a lot of people spread around the country, because of Michigan’s economy, who have a tough time following games particularly on networks like, maybe, Versus where it’s not available in their area.  Are you happy with the situation with Versus?

Gary:  Absolutely.  They do a great job covering the game; they’ve grown to about 78 million homes.  People have gravitated to watching Versus and, in fact, I think the first two rounds in the playoffs were the most viewed ever on national cable TV this year, which is a testament to Versus.

VooX:  I’d like to mention that there was the Versus blackout on DirectTV last year. What was the NHL’s position trying to get them back on the air during that time?

Gary:  Well, the problem has been fixed, DirectTV is now carrying Versus, as I said, as are most of the other major cable and satellite providers.  It’s not unusual, in this evolving area, for there to be carriage disputes.  This was one of a number that happened last year.  But it’s been resolved, and it’s behind us.

VooX:  Is the resolution of that dispute due to the NHL’s pressure or was it more due to the pressure of the UFC, who was having their first televised event that same week (the resolution was solved)?

Gary:  I don’t think it had anything to do with either.  I think it had to do with the fact that Comcast, which owns Versus, and DirectTV were able to reach an agreement on the terms of carriage for a long period of time.  One event never defines the carriage agreements, that’s a naive view of the world if you think that’s how those decisions get made.  Much longer term focus goes into that.

VooX:  Coming up, there will be re-negotiations on other networks.  Do you expect similar resistance to Versus’ request for more carriage fees?

Gary:  You’re presuming that Versus is going to ask for more carriage fees.

VooX:  Okay, that is an assumption.  Assuming that they do, do you think that people will be amenable to it?

Gary:  I don’t try to speculate as to what people may or may not do, on things that may or may not happen.

VooX:  Okay.  Just a couple more questions.

Handler:  One more question, I need him.

VooX:  Okay.  Before your time as commissioner, did you get a chance to pay for many games in the NHL to have a chance to watch them?

Gary:  Did I what?

VooX:  Did you pay for many tickets before you became commissioner of the NHL, were you a fan before you became commissioner?

Gary:  Yes.

VooX:  Going back, can you tell us a little bit about how you got into hockey?

Gary:  I grew up in New York, where we went from one to three teams during the time I was growing up, and I was a huge a fan when I went to Cornell University, being a season ticket holder for my four years there.

VooX:  Thank you for your time, Gary.

Gary:  Thank you.

VooX:  I appreciate that.

=====

If you wish to download the .mp3, here it is.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

VooX's avatar

Posted by RWBill from a place 2 miles from the Duck pond (honda center). on 08/29/10 at 02:09 PM ET

That looks like what Ken Hitchcock’s new role in Columbus will be.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/29/10 at 06:00 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I see all these teams and what they’re paying to keep their players, and it hits me time and again what a genius Tick Tock is.

Stempniak just re-signed in Phoenippeg (of all places) for $1.75mil a year.

in ‘09/10 he had 28 goals and 20 assists in 80 games for an even 0 +/-.  that’s a .6 PPG average.

‘09/10 Modano had 14G and 16A in 59 games and was -6.  that’s a .51 PPG average.

we got Modano for half a mil less.  it would be interesting to calculate what all the Wings’ players would have expected pay-wise to play in Phoenix.  same players, same league, different team.  I bet the team salary would be at least 10% higher.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 08/30/10 at 12:15 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

The sample of those who were studied included individuals between ages 55 and 65 who had had any kind of outpatient care in the previous three years. The 1,824 participants were followed for 20 years. One drawback of the sample: a disproportionate number, 63%, were men. Just over 69% of the never-drinkers died during the 20 years, 60% of the heavy drinkers died and only 41% of moderate drinkers died.

Full story…here
via an adater tweet

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 08/30/10 at 04:20 PM ET

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 08/30/10 at 02:20 PM ET

I raise my Jameson’s to that.

No, not that Jameson’s:

Ah, whatever…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/30/10 at 04:32 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 08/30/10 at 02:20 PM ET

Awesome. That means I don’t need to cut back to “moderate” drinking for another 20 years.

Thanks Gramps.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 08/30/10 at 05:32 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thanks Gramps, i’m at chicago o’hare airport waiting for the second leg to richmond so i’ll have a second goose island IPA!  I owe ya, again.

USA Today, an imitation of a real newspaper, has an article ab the Wings as Western Conf favorites.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/30/10 at 08:02 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 08/30/10 at 02:20 PM ET

I just shared that with one of my managers.  He said “Oh, I have an extensive collection of literature that dates back to the early 90’s on this subject.  It’s wonderful.”  I agree with him, and would be interested to see what else science can tell us about being a bunch of dr()nks.

Scary thought:  Larry Murphy outlives all of the 1997 and 1998 Stanley Cup Champion Detriot Red Wings.  And most of the 2002 and 2008 winners, as well.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 08/30/10 at 08:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Regarding the subject interview,

“I’m not a proctologist, but I know an *#$%@& when I see one.”

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/30/10 at 08:34 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

“I’m not a proctologist, but I know an *#$%@& when I see one.”

Damn curse blocker.  Should read:

“I’m not a proctologist, but I know an a88h0Le when I see one.”

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/30/10 at 08:37 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

“I’m not a proctologist, but I know an a88h0Le when I see one.”

Posted by RWBill from a place 2 miles from the Duck pond (honda center). on 08/30/10 at 06:37 PM ET

I thought it was “I’m not a pharmacist, but I’ll lick an an a$$hole if I see one” ?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/30/10 at 10:00 PM ET

monkey's avatar

“I’m not a pharmacist, but I’ll lick an an a$$hole if I see one”

Posted by monkey from Finland on 08/31/10 at 08:00 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by monkey

Well played sir.

Posted by Osrt on 08/31/10 at 12:11 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

RWBill I am so jealous of you right now. My favorite brew right now is:

Greatest beer in the world. You lucky bastard, did you enjoy some delicious beers there? Do tell.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 08/31/10 at 01:48 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

No one cares: Corinthians turns 100 years old tomorrow.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/31/10 at 10:20 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Way to go herm, that’s almost a century!  very nice pic.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the poopship. on 08/31/10 at 11:48 AM ET

I actually had a couple of the Ruination on draft.  Nice place to drink, too expensive to eat there, which I didn’t remember until we got there.  As good or better food at Olive Garden for 60% of the price.

But the beers at Stone aren’t unreasonable, though not cheap ($5 16 oz draft).  And the bar or outside in the fresh air are exceptionally good locales to wash the Ruination around in your mouth in big swigs.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/31/10 at 10:48 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Gigantic slowdown in posts, everyone resting up for the push comes with camp at TC and filtering out the roster in the preseason.

Looks like Drew or Rittola may be gone.  I know Mike and The Gang like Drew’s contributions and he’s still young, may be tough for Rittola to oust Miller out of there, or conversely, thanks Drew but we’ve been grooming Mattias for 3 years and it’s his turn.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/31/10 at 10:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

No one going to comment on this?  I said a few days ago thinking of his preseason knee problems made me flacid.

Red Wings’ Niklas Kronwall has surgery to fix knee

Read more: Red Wings’ Niklas Kronwall has surgery to fix knee | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/01/10 at 12:55 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

An early Helm, or more like an earlier Justin Abdulkader….

The Buffalo Sabres have re-signed unrestricted free agent forward Matt Ellis, a former Detroit Red Wing, to a one-year contract.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/01/10 at 01:04 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Sorry, commented on the main page article about it: http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/kronwall_had_knee_surgery_this_morning/

Fleshed out slightly more at Winging It In Motown: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2010/8/31/1661262/niklas-kronwall-has-knee-surgery

I’ll summarize here too though.  This news was enough to harden my dick back up.  We knew there was something wonky with Kronner’s knee; today’s news is that it’s a minor bit of wonk compared to what it could be.  A lateral meniscus tear is nothing extraordinarily serious and he should be in fine shape by the start of the year.

My estimation: makes it more likely that the Modano/Salei gamble was the right call over the Willie Mitchell (or any other $3M D-man who could play the 2nd pair, but would likely play the 3rd).  Then again, there’s never going to be a way to prove that unless you’ve got a flux capacitor and 1.2 Jiggawatts of power to run through it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/01/10 at 01:11 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/31/10 at 11:11 PM ET

Yes sounds as good as “a minor knee operation” can sound.  Miracle scoping sh1t.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/01/10 at 01:18 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by RWBill from a place 2 miles from the Duck pond (honda center). on 08/31/10 at 10:55 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/31/10 at 11:11 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from a place 2 miles from the Duck pond (honda center). on 08/31/10 at 11:18 PM ET

I’ll be limp ‘til I see something like this:

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/01/10 at 02:56 AM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Hey RWBill, ever tried this guy?

It’s serious business.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 09/01/10 at 05:30 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Re: Kronwall.  This is not anywhere near as bad as I’d feared it might be.  Man I knew that guy was never quite right after the injury—just didn’t have the same ability to jump up on the play and make himself a factor offensively and the big bone-jarring hits he’s known for were few and far between.

I’m relatively optimistic about all this.  Does anyone remember how well he was playing before that douche-nozzle Laraque train-wrecked him last year?  He was lights out good and arguably the best D-man on the team up to that point.  To say “Norris good” might be a stretch, but he was seriously having a break out year.  If he returns to that level I think you boner-popping perverts will be more than satisfied!!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 09/01/10 at 06:33 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by stayouttamalibu from Temporarily in Tempe, AZ on 09/01/10 at 03:30 AM ET

Ninkasi…great line of beers.  Brewed by patchouli-smelling hippies in Eugene.  Still, I gotta hand it to ‘em, they turn out some damn fine fermented beverages.

RWBill, if Stone is your thing, you owe it to yourself to check out either of the IPAs they make: “Total Domination” (very straightforward, big hope, yet still balanced and crisp), and its big brother “Tricerahops” (Imperial IPA - full throttle on the hops, higher in alcohol, somewhat bigger malt profile)...check ‘em out!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 09/01/10 at 06:43 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

damnit!...by “big hope” of course i meant big hops…but you hop-heads knew that, right?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 09/01/10 at 06:45 AM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 09/01/10 at 04:43 AM ET

Totally. Tricerahops is fuching 8.8%. It gives Ruination a run for its money for sure.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 09/01/10 at 06:48 AM ET

edillac's avatar

thanks Drew but we’ve been grooming Mattias for 3 years and it’s his turn.

Posted by RWBill from a place 2 miles from the Duck pond (honda center). on 08/31/10 at 08:55 PM ET

yup

Posted by edillac from isolation on 09/01/10 at 09:41 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Kronwall

His knees scare the death outta me. And with Lidstrom and Rafalski in the end of their careers, I’m kinda worried about who’ll take the lead in our defense. Kronwall is injury-prone (and not all that dependable), Stuart is inconsistent as fuch, Kindl is not what we hoped him to be, Ericsson has to prove he’s for real… And I can’t say anything about Brendan Smith, but I hope he’s as good as people think he is.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/01/10 at 11:02 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

If Kronwall plays more than 60 games I will be pleasantly surprised. There are too many opportunities for him to have his knees taken out by some lunkhead, and too many lunkheads in the NHL in general.  Plus the opportunities for fluke injuries that can hit any athlete at any time.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 09/01/10 at 12:40 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Looks like Drew or Rittola may be gone

Thank goodness that reads “OR” and not “AND”.  I really liked Drew’s contributions last year, he was stellar for the price and was always fresh for the PK.  He and Eaves were great PK guys, and when they weren’t saving potential scoring chances by botching the setup, Stuart would clear the line and save actual goals that got past Jimmy.

I know we’re a club that is all about giving our youth a shot, but I really liked what Miller’s done.  I think we should keep him instead.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 09/01/10 at 01:24 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thanks for the tips.  I’ve tried probably close to 40 IPAs by now but have never heard of Ninkasi.  May not distribute it here.

Stone IPA isn’t my fave but certainly good stuff and a standard from which to compare others.  Considering it’s often known as “San Diego style”, one of my faves is a New York brewery “Southern Tier”  Unearthly Imperial IPA, and their “Gemini” blend of Unearthly and Hoppe extra pale ale.

A more affordable and high hop blast comes from Lagunitas Brewery “Hopstoopid” with an IBU of 102.

I’ll definitely look those suggestions up, it may have to wait until whenever I can afford to visit the west coast again.

Is it October yet?  Heck no but it IS September, bitches!

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/01/10 at 01:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I really liked what Miller’s done.  I think we should keep him instead.
Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 09/01/10 at 11:24 AM ET

Yes I think Miller earned himself a place that will be hard for Rittola, or Maltby, to dislodge… A dependable and energetic skater who teamed well with Helm and Eaves.  We don’t have to think back very far to remember what it was like to have a sieve for a PK unit.  Those guys were a building block for the team last year.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/01/10 at 01:39 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

That shit sounds dank. Makes my mouth water. We don’t get that here in Chicago that I know of. Has Dark Horse made it out to you yet? They are in Marshall,MI. Bunch of hippies as well. Crooked Tree would probably the one to make it out there.  It’s an above standard IPA but no Ruination. We should all bring at least one six of our favorite craft to H2H2 and have a bad ass tasting.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 09/01/10 at 01:55 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Our extra forward situation makes my dyck hurt. Put them all on Ninja Warrior and whoever makes it furthest gets the spot.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 09/01/10 at 02:03 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Glad we agree on Miller, but on beer…I’m just not too big a fan of the West Coast beer scene.  Colorado beers for me.  For a good, hoppy beer with some strength that you can buy in 12oz bottles and not bombers, I prefer either the Breckenridge Small Batch IPA or their Small Batch ESB.  Both are really well done and in the lower echelon of extreme IBUs and mid-range in terms of % ABV.

Great American Beer Festival, in the Dive, is in another week, yeah?  Or is it two?  I don’t recall, but I was there last year (a little later in September, think it was the week before Hockey started) and it was a fantastic trip.  Got to meet many founders of smaller microbrews I really like.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 09/01/10 at 02:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the poopship. on 09/01/10 at 11:55 AM ET

Oh Bitch!  I was thinking the same thing reading here this morning.  We’d have to crash at Paul’s so we wouldn’t be out face down in the curbs getting hassled by The Fuzz, or decent law abiding citizens trying to explain to their kids why that man (or Aimee) was face down sleeping in the street.  Maybe there’s some dive Motel 6 out in Romulus so we wouldn’t have far to go to the airport.

Not that I drink to get drunk, I don’t, but you start swilling this 7-11% stuff awash in your mouth like you should to taste beer properly, and it sneaks up on you.  Then you start calling everyone “honey” and even coyotes start lookin good, then a mix of acid reflux, bile, hops and malt begin mixing in your mouth and you end up trying to inch down to the floor slowly by reaching your hands down and patting for the carpet not knowing if the wall is really the ceiling then you wake up to an acrid smell of vomit and sticky beer-glue with people inside your head beating you with picks and axes…. and who needs that.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/01/10 at 02:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by RWBill from God’s steam bath. on 09/01/10 at 12:27 PM ET

When did we start talking about playoff hockey again?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/01/10 at 02:38 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

For the record, I have Miller higher on my depth chart than Ritola, depending on the need.  For as much as we worry about Ritola not clearing waivers, I think it’s a guarantee that Miller wouldn’t.  Miller will likely be the 14th forward who comes in to spell injuries, unless something goofy happens that means we need a guy with a questionable scoring touch (not named Ville Leino) on the 2nd line, where we’d call up Ritola.  I’m just not convinced we lose Ritola to the waiver wire.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/01/10 at 02:48 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/01/10 at 12:48 PM ET

I feel like if he goes to waivers, we will see him in a T.B. jersey.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 09/01/10 at 02:55 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

On the other hand, there are quite a few quality forwards still on the market so I can see your point JJ.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 09/01/10 at 02:57 PM ET