Abel to Yzerman

A Throat Is Perfect Place To Put A Skate, Especially Near A Big Bonfire

This will be quick. It's May 25th in Michigan, which means the weather should be simply stunning.  Judging by the jackets at last night's Tiger game, that may not be the case.  It doesn't matter.  Nothing matters.  Go about your day.  Frolic. Bounce and swim.  Grill.  Develop and teach your children (well).

Because when all that's over?

Horror awaits. Just like the last three games, something is nagging at you. Something is telling you there is no way the Wings win this one.

Bathe in that thought.  It's literally a security blanket for us.  You've worked it out, why you feel that way. If you expect it, the crash won't be so bad.

And if the opposite happens?

Oh my.  I'll be at the softball fields. All. Day. Long.  As I told Trish, the DVR will be my huckleberry. Live Blog will follow later.

God help us all and LGRW.  Burn. This. Conference. Down.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

MarkK's avatar

Wedding rehearsal today in preparation for our wedding tomorrow. The reason I know she’s the one? “How are you going to watch the Wings when we’re on the honeymoon?”

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 05/25/13 at 11:04 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Although I may end up living in a Maytag box underneath an overpass one day, today is a day that my decision not to knowingly reproduce myself is looking like a good one wink

Eat,drink, nap, and stress is all I have to do today. Took care of the potential trip to the home improvement store by telling my wife ” You want a new washer and dryer? Go buy a washer and dryer, then come home and tell me what a great deal you got on it.”

I may live to regret that.

Posted by dougie on 05/25/13 at 11:06 AM ET

dougie's avatar

“How are you going to honeymoon while I am watching the Wings?”

fixt.

Posted by dougie on 05/25/13 at 11:08 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Chief.

Happy Saturday, 19.

grin

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/25/13 at 11:09 AM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Of all the days for a friend to get married, my buddy picked today. Uggh, DVR it is.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 05/25/13 at 11:13 AM ET

Primis's avatar

For second weekend in a row, we have recitals.  Last Saturday I emerged after 3.5 hours from an old opera house, bleary-eyed, squinting to see my phone pushing me an update that the Wings and Hawks were tied 1-1, then hurried home a few blocks away to watch the glory.

That won’t happen today.  I’m not going.  Not entirely for hockey reasons even but because it’s stupid to have to spend money on 374234092390 tickets for family to go to 8324902384 different recitals.  I’ve been to two different recitals already, this one I’ll watch recorded on the DVD while some other family goes.

Hopefully my nephew’s baseball team makes a deep state playoff run and hopefully the Wings are still around to possibly interfere with it.

Posted by Primis on 05/25/13 at 11:23 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

What’s going on at Kmart?  The Blackhawks fans have been doing this for a week now.

Clicky KMart

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/25/13 at 11:24 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I must have got fifteen texts in the last two hours. People are just trying to find anything to do to take their mind off the game, until game time.

As you know, the Soo is a hockey town ,and I haven’t seen this place this jacked up for Red Wings hockey since the ‘97 playoffs.

This team is something special, and people sense that.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/25/13 at 11:27 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

“How are you going to watch the Wings when we’re on the honeymoon?”

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 05/25/13 at 11:04 AM ET

Great one MarkK.  There are few “Untouchables” in a marriage for a guy, but if you have an understanding from the beginning that you can call in that chit things will go well.  Now, that may have consequences at other times!

Some of The 19 may remember that my daughter’s wedding fell on Game 7 of the 2009 Finals (not the other way around).  Managed to go until 1 a.m. without hearing any news to get home to start the DVR, a numbing 3 a.m. it was for many reasons.

Best of luck!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/25/13 at 11:30 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Clicky KMart

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/25/13 at 11:24 AM ET

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/25/13 at 11:30 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Burn. This. Conference. Down.

Fortunately, no Blackhawk has a hose big enough to put that fire out.

Not even all of Jonny Toes tears will do it.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/25/13 at 12:00 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

With apologies to Rockmaster Scott & the Dynamic Three…

The West. The West. The West is on FIRE! We don’t need no water let the motherfucher BURN!

BURN MOTHERFUCHER, BURN!

Oh, and congrats on your nuptials, Mark!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/25/13 at 12:12 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Blue Light special for hawks fans on TP & Toews wah tissue.
Kmart Chicagoland stores should see record sales numbers.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 05/25/13 at 12:29 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

This team is something special, and people sense that.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/25/13 at 11:27 AM ET

I know.  I got chills reading that just now.

Chief, I’m feeling nauseous already.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/25/13 at 12:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Congrats, Mark!  She sounds like a keeper.  With me, it’s the other way around.  I’m the sports fanatic.  My husband couldn’t care less.  But he’s a good sport and lets me take over the TV.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/25/13 at 12:33 PM ET

dougie's avatar

With me, it’s the other way around.  I’m the sports fanatic.

Made me think of a song

“oooh, what a lucky man he was”
                - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

Posted by dougie on 05/25/13 at 12:36 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

The 19 are always a source of sage wisdom. Thanks guys

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 05/25/13 at 12:38 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Sage wisdom… you know the good kind and the bad kind.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 05/25/13 at 12:39 PM ET

awould's avatar

The Hawks are in the middle of learning that talking about being confident isn’t the same thing as being confident. Chicago won’t get through three straight wins without snapping. I think when Detroit knocks them out, it will be a 3 or 4 goal win and I won’t be white-knuckling through the last 5 minutes. I hope that’s tonight in front of Chicago’s home crowd. One, to rub it in. Two, to end the series and give Detroit an extra day or two. Three, so the players don’t get misty-eyed by winning at the Joe in front of a home crowd that will be absolutely nuts. I want Detroit to win this series and get booed for it, loudly, and carry that back to California.

Posted by awould on 05/25/13 at 12:39 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

I said it on another thread….

Game#5, probability of winning being what it is, how sweet would it be to clinch this in their house.

Burn.This.Conference.Down.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 05/25/13 at 01:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Made me think of a song

“oooh, what a lucky man he was”
          - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

Posted by dougie on 05/25/13 at 12:36 PM ET

Awwwww.  smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/25/13 at 01:32 PM ET

SoDakWIngNut's avatar

Greetings from Rushmore land 19. Sweet post Chief. L.G.R.W!

Posted by SoDakWIngNut from Rapid City, SD on 05/25/13 at 01:35 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/25/13 at 01:49 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

dammit still too big…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/25/13 at 01:49 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Luckly, I have an extra Hapkido class today, and thas an easy 2 fast hours of this freaking long day

LGRW!!!

And this:

Posted by Zqto on 05/25/13 at 02:00 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Mine too, Paul
Still worth it
lol

Posted by Zqto on 05/25/13 at 02:01 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

It’s one of those days where I’m trying to stay busy, but just can’t take my mind off tonight.

Isn’t it 8 o’clock yet?  Sigh.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/25/13 at 02:55 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

dammit still too big…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/25/13 at 01:49 PM ET

You say that like it is a bad thing….

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 05/25/13 at 03:09 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

Y.E.S.

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Chicago, IL on 05/25/13 at 03:35 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Congrats Mark K. Yep. She’s a keeper.
On my wedding night in 97, I ducked out during the reception to watch Lapointe score the game winner in ot. My wife covered for me like a trooper.
Would love to have some coffee tonight because you know coffee is for closers. Go Wings

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 05/25/13 at 04:25 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

“teach your children (well)”.

freakin hippies.

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 05/25/13 at 04:35 PM ET

The clinching game is the hardest game to win.  Just go out there and play the shifts and the outcome will take care of itself.

Let’s just play.

Burn.This.Conference.Down.

Con-Gratiot-lations, MarkK.  Best wishes to you both.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/25/13 at 04:39 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by Zqto on 05/25/13 at 02:00 PM ET

The Great Chicago Fire of 2013 is on my mind.  The Wings have the match lit and the fuel in place.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/25/13 at 04:43 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/25/13 at 04:43 PM ET

Is it kerosene? Do they have a cow?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/25/13 at 05:14 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 05/25/13 at 11:04 AM ET

Congratulations MarkK and soon to be Mrs.MarkK. Hoping the Wings can deliver a Wedding gift tonite. That way you can honeymoon without any distractions.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/25/13 at 05:20 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

That way you can honeymoon without any distractions.

unless the WCF start this week LOL

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/25/13 at 05:22 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Spent the afternoon in Bells Beer Garden in Kazoo, and all was placid and mindless till some guy showed up in a Toews sweater, and I had to remember the world and chat him up about the guy on his nameplate.

But all was chilled after. I’m tested and ready. Looking for a good fire to iChat.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/25/13 at 05:53 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

fuching spell check.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/25/13 at 05:54 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Congrats MarkK, and a warm welcome Mrs. MarkK in the future on the blog.

Enjoy your day and honeymoon!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!