Abel to Yzerman

A New Season, A New Captain, A Useful Distraction

Good evening. It’s a brand new season for the 19! Welcome back to one and all, from the long absence of Detroit Red Wings Hockey. It’s been far to long since we’ve all hung out together to have what I hope will be a good time, and, a good season for all of us. I hope that everyone, and, your families are faring well, staying healthy, and, sane. I’d prefer if possible, keeping thing’s upbeat, and, not dwell on the past year, at least for now since this is our first game back.

The big news. Finally, finally, finally, Dylan Larkin has been named Captain of the Detroit Red Wings, and deservedly so. Steve Yzerman has made some additional moves in the off season that we all hope will pan out, and, make watching the Wings, let‘s just say, “more fun,” than watching the way the Wings have played the past few seasons. There are a few new faces on the roster as well as our familiar favorites. Tonight, and most nights, I hope this place that we all have come to call home, will also serve as a much needed useful distraction.

With the Yzerplan starting to take shape, one can only hope it will give us something to look forward to. To keep us out of the doldrums, to cheer on, and, as always, the possibility to cringe. It should be interesting if nothing else.

Maybe, we’ll all be able to witness some pleasant surprises along the way. Okay, that’s probably raising the bar a bit, but, what the heck? Why not?

Welcome back 19! Drop the puck!

It’s a Live Blog!

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›      Next »

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Bro May be good or he may not.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/14/21 at 09:19 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

HI Y’all !!!!  I’m so glad to see Brome doing good…He was pretty nervous before the game..Let’s go Red wings clap clap clap.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/14/21 at 08:17 PM ET

Good to see you! Brome does look good.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/14/21 at 09:19 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Bro May be good or he may not.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/14/21 at 08:19 PM ET

Winner! wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/14/21 at 09:20 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Ok dawg, here goes: I may have posted this before (?) but it shows how juvenile I am.

Little known fact: The covid virus lasts for four days on the toilet seat… beating out Elvis by three days.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 01/14/21 at 09:21 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Inviting all to raise a glass to the Chief. Cheers, wherever you are.

Posted by The Hurricane on 01/14/21 at 09:22 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Fuchin awesome, Quaker!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/14/21 at 09:23 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Howdy dawg,Kate, Cal. So glad to see ya back again.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 01/14/21 at 09:25 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Chief made an appearance on KK in the last few days or so. Cheers!

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 01/14/21 at 09:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Covidquake, “Stay the F away from me” on 01/14/21 at 08:21 PM ET

Oh dear.  The King is Dead.

Posted by RWBill on 01/14/21 at 09:25 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Ha!

If you posted before i do not recall. Nice thing about getting old, bad repeated jokes are always funny.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/14/21 at 09:25 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Howdy dawg,Kate, Cal. So glad to see ya back again.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 01/14/21 at 08:25 PM ET

Truly glad to be here with y’all. A blessing of sorts… ohh

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/14/21 at 09:27 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Why couldn’t the toilet paper cross the road?

It Kept getting stuck im the cracks!

I hear Curly Fries cure Covid. We need lots of hat tricks!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/14/21 at 09:28 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Too soon! smile

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/14/21 at 09:28 PM ET

calquake's avatar

When Disneyland closed down last year everyone blamed Sneezy.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 01/14/21 at 09:29 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

What with the World Juniors on a couple of weeks ago NHL Network also ran Mystery, Alaska, which I used to rent from Blockbuster every January but haven’t seen in years.  Still pretty good.
(If you don’t know what “Blockbuster” is, look it up in your typewriter.)

Posted by RWBill on 01/14/21 at 09:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Oh man, there’s some great former Wings’ captains there.

Posted by RWBill on 01/14/21 at 09:32 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Mr. Figaro, your notification emails are getting kicked back to me, can you make sure you check it out under your profile, Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/14/21 at 09:33 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Lol
Love that one Cal!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/14/21 at 09:34 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Hey.Nice to see you Kate…I hope everyone is doing okay? GO RW GO

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/14/21 at 09:35 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Evening bitches.

Back on the ground finally and on the way to the hotel…hope to get there in time to share a few adult beverages with all 19 of my friends

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Taylor Tucky Metroplex on 01/14/21 at 09:36 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hello Old Friends… to paraphrase Clapton. Good to have youse back again.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 01/14/21 at 09:40 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

That is a functional email.  What do I need to click to fix the problem?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/14/21 at 09:40 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Refs in mid season form. Opponent sticks himself and 2 minutes short for us.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 01/14/21 at 09:42 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

New penalty kill strategy by wings..let other team tire themselves out by shooting…

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/14/21 at 09:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 01/14/21 at 08:42 PM ET

Apparently they had a good training camp.

Posted by RWBill on 01/14/21 at 09:46 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Shots on Goal:
Car 20
Det. 6

Ugh

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/14/21 at 09:48 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Paul, I got that email. Not sure what’s up.  If it stays a problem, I’ll switch to a different email.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/14/21 at 09:50 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Good to see ya RW. Hope all is well in your world.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 01/14/21 at 09:52 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Are the new fangled pucks in use this season? Asking for a friend….

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/14/21 at 09:53 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Hive mind question…how are you planning to watch games this season? I am outside the Detroit area and left with few to no options. Hulu and Youtube no longer carry FSD….pretty sure Dish is still the same. I’d spend whatever $ I need to, but looking for options.

Posted by The Hurricane on 01/14/21 at 09:53 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I have NHL Center Ice on DirectTV. $28.75 (?) for 4 months. Check local listings.  grin

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 01/14/21 at 09:57 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Figaro, let’s see what happens on Saturday if you are around for the game.

If you don’t hear from me, all is well.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/14/21 at 09:59 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Posted by The Hurricane on 01/14/21 at 08:53 PM ET

I have DirecTV CenterIce.  I use it because I’m often not home for live games and enjoy the DVR.  And I’m not a young person so doing those online-only or Firestick-TV type things scare me.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/14/21 at 09:59 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

If you don’t hear from me, all is well.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/14/21 at 08:59 PM ET

cool smile

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/14/21 at 09:59 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I hope we can kill off our power play.  Had to say that for the first time this season.

Posted by RWBill on 01/14/21 at 10:00 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Lets see how the new PP works. The old one.was limp

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/14/21 at 10:00 PM ET

calquake's avatar

That’s how they plant those mind chips.  wink

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 01/14/21 at 10:01 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

If you have family in Detroit area with cable subscription, you could use the Fox Sports Go app and piggyback on their cable subscription….Not that I would know anything about that.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/14/21 at 10:02 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Nice to see some puck movement on the PP, but too many passes into skates.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/14/21 at 10:03 PM ET