Abel to Yzerman

A Five-Year Deal For Dylan Larkin

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today re-signed center Dylan Larkin to a five-year contract.

Larkin, 22, skated in his third NHL season in 2017-18 and nearly doubled his point total from the year prior by producing a team-best 63 points (16-47-63) in 82 games after 32 points (17-15-32) over 80 games in 2016-17. He became the fifth-youngest player in franchise history to lead the team in scoring, trailing only Steve Yzerman (18 years and 10 months in 1983-84), Mark Osborne (20 years and seven months in 1981-82), Marcel Dionne (20 years and seven months in 1971-72) and Dale McCourt (21 year and two months in 1977-78). The Waterford, Mich., native also ranked among Red Wings leaders with 82 games played (T1st), 16 goals (T3rd), 47 assists (1st), 61 penalty minutes (3rd), eight power-play points (T8th), two shorthanded goals (T1st), four game-winning goals (T1st), 232 shots on goal (1st), 19:50 average time on ice (4th, and most among the team’s forwards) and 56 takeaways (1st). He reached a pair of milestones in 2017-18, tallying 100 career points on Dec. 2 at Montreal and skating in his 200th NHL game on Jan. 5 vs. Florida.

Originally drafted by the Red Wings in the first round (15th overall) of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Larkin has appeared in 242 games with Detroit since 2015-16, registering 140 points (56-84-140), which is tied for fourth-most among his draft class. He debuted for Detroit at age 19, making him the first teenager to play in the team’s opening-night lineup since Mike Sillinger in 1990-91. During his rookie campaign in 2015-16, Larkin was named to the NHL All-Star Game and set the NHL’s fastest skater record during the Skills Competition, posting a lap time of 13.172 seconds to break Mike Gartner’s 20-year-old record. Internationally, Larkin has represented the United States on four occasions at the IIHF World Championship, most recently earning bronze while serving as an alternate captain at the 2018 IIHF World Championship in Denmark. He also skated for Team North America at the 2016 World Cup.

Prior to his professional career, Larkin spent two seasons with the U.S. National Team Development Program from 2012-14 prior to spending one season at the University of Michigan in 2014-15. He was named the Big Ten Rookie of the Year while earning a spot on the conference’s First All-Star Team after producing 47 points (15-32-47) in 35 games for the Wolverines. Larkin also scored five goals at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship to lead the tournament in goals. He went on to sign with the Red Wings and make his professional debut with the American Hockey League’s Grand Rapids Griffins during their postseason run, picking up five points (3-2-5) in six games.

Dylan Larkin, Center
Born Jul 30 1996 -- Waterford, MI
Height 6.01 -- Weight 198 -- Shoots L

Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 1 #15 overall 2014 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012-13  U.S. National U17 Team      USHL   37    7    7   14   40  --  --  --  --  --
2013-14  U.S. National U18 Team      USHL   26   17    9   26   24  --  --  --  --  --
2014-15  U. of Michigan              Big-10 35   15   32   47   38  --  --  --  --  --
2014-15  Grand Rapids Griffins       AHL    --   --   --   --   --   6   3   2   5   6
2015-16  Detroit Red Wings           NHL    80   23   22   45   34   5   1   0   1  18
2016-17  Detroit Red Wings           NHL    80   17   15   32   37  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  Detroit Red Wings           NHL    82   16   47   63   61  --  --  --  --  --
         NHL Totals                        242   56   84  140  132   5   1   0   1  18

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

AAV is $6.1M.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/10/18 at 11:05 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

its nice to see Larks locked up..but boy..6.1 annual wages !! ...typical KH !

I think its one million too much…

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 08/10/18 at 11:14 AM ET

Paul's avatar

CapFriendly tweet,

With Dylan Larkin signed for 5 years at $6.1M by the Detroit #Redwings, we now show the club as projected at $3.27M above the upper limit with a roster of 21 (13F-6D-2G)

Teams can exceed the upper limit by 10% during the off-season.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/10/18 at 11:18 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Another CapFriendly tweet,

Larkin’s 5 year contract includes a full no-trade clause (NTC) in the fifth year (2022-23).
It also includes a $1M signing bonus this season (2018-19)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/10/18 at 11:26 AM ET

Contract sounds about right to me. Sure I would have like to see it for less $$$ but I don’t think much less was a reality. Here’s hoping he continues to grow and towards the middle of that contract the $$$ seems like a bargain.

Posted by evileye on 08/10/18 at 11:26 AM ET

Teams can exceed the upper limit by 10% during the off-season

If I understand things correctly once the season starts and Franzen is on LTIR that leaves the Wings with only about $700K of cap space. Maybe that is just enough to add Hronek to the roster but it isn’t enough to add Cholo, Zadina or Ras. They’d have to move or waive someone to make them fit.

Once again Holland will be playing tight against the cap, barely enough room to handle short-term injuries.

Posted by evileye on 08/10/18 at 11:35 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Ken Holland on a media conference call regarding Larkin signing, said this on Zetterberg.

Craig Custance tweet,

Ken Holland with the most forthcoming comments about Henrik Zetterberg’s future: “He’s had a tough summer…There’s a real unknown right now with Henrik Zetterberg.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/10/18 at 11:51 AM ET

One of the worst teams in the league with one of the highest payrolls and potentially an inability to even have a 23-man roster.

And this is why Ken Holland is the man entrusted with this “rebuild”.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/10/18 at 11:54 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

This is what irritates me about Detroit’s hockey media. They’ve done nothing all summer, can’t fault them, honestly, what’s to say again and again, but this is story they knew was coming, and it drops and it comes with a snippet and his bio? WTF? Where’s the analysis Teddy K? Where you at HSJ, Ansar, anything anything?

Here let alone dude on his computer give’er a whirl.  UFA is 27 or has played in the league for a minimum of 7 years.  Larkin is 22 and has played 3 seasons, meaning he was a Wings RFA for 4 years assuming the 2 minutes I spend and my google info is correct….

At $6mln a year, Holland paid 4 RFA years and only got 1 year of UFA status, I don’t think this is a good deal. I like Larkin, I think Larkin has an excellent trajectory, but this should’ve been a 7 year deal, or closer to $5mln.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 08/10/18 at 12:07 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

BEFORE:
“Holland never pays the kids”
“Holland low-balls the young players and overpays the veterans”

NOW:
“Holland gave him too much money.”
“Typical KH”

Which one is it going to be?  We all would have loved $5 mil a year, but this is supposed to be “our next captain.”  The guy acts and talks like a freaking Captain at the age of 22 and 11 days.  It’s an okay contract now, but this should be a great contract in another year or two as he continues the transition to Center.  If the team starts scoring more in a year or two (which they should, with some offensive talent coming), his G and A numbers should double.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/10/18 at 12:19 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

This is good news going forward . I’m not too concerned about the monies, because I think he will earn every single penny.  D-Boss is a leader, and, he shows this attribute every shift.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 08/10/18 at 01:14 PM ET

“Holland low-balls the young players and overpays the veterans”
Which one is it going to be?

Yeah, God forbid anyone hope for a contract that pays a player what he’s worth at the time he signs the contract.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/10/18 at 01:16 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

We saw a nearly 100% increase in point total from Larkin last year, I think it’s reasonable to believe another 25% this and possibly half that next season are within the realm of possibility.  This contract is a good one considering Larkin’s upside.

Also there’s just something awesome about a home town guy becoming our next captain.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 08/10/18 at 01:24 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Well said. The Athletic’s coverage of DRW (although less frequent) has shown me what good sports journalism is. You’d have definitely thought they’d have already written a very in depth article, and only had to put in quotes, salary details, etc. It’s brutal.

And I also agree with the Larks stuff. The deal isn’t BAD but it also isn’t great. Would have loved to have either seen more years or less salary. But overall, Larkin is worth it. I am really impressed by him, and honestly feel like this will be a great deal because I have no doubts that Larkin will keep working to improve. When he was drafted, it was a guaranteed 3rd line center with upside. Now people are wondering, is he 1C material or 2C material. Just like he transcended the 3C mark, I have hope that Larkin can transcend the 2C mark.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 08/10/18 at 02:11 PM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Term is too long. Four years.
Unless maybe the idea is to flip him towards the end of the fourth year for picks and prospects.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 08/10/18 at 02:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Craig Custance of The Athletic,

The more interesting thing regarding this contract is the term. Larkin and his camp did well to get this extension down to a five-year deal while keeping the average annual value over $6 million. There really isn’t another contract like this. When you look at the comparable contracts that certainly came up during the negotiations, they are typically on longer-term deals. David Pastrnak got $6.67 million per season for six years. Nathan MacKinnon got seven years at an AAV of $6.3 million. Nik Elhers got seven years with an AAV of $6 million. Sean Monahan got seven years at an AAV of $6.375 million.

This deal buys out one year of unrestricted free agency, which provides value for the Red Wings. But it’s only one year. Larkin will be 27 when he starts his next contract, and if he continues to progress as a player, he’s lining himself up for another big payday when it’s done.

more ($$$)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/10/18 at 02:17 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

By all accounts I had read, the team was pushing for 6 years and mid 5s in money. It looks like old “Hard Barganin” Holland struck again.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 08/10/18 at 02:30 PM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Spot on. Most modern day journalism is only infotainment. Expect that, and you won’t be disappointed.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 08/10/18 at 02:11 PM ET

I keep hearing good things about The Athletic. After hearing some talk about it on one of the football pod’s I listen to, I’m giving serious consideration towards a sub.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 08/10/18 at 02:36 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Something told me he’s get between %5.5M and $6.5M, so I’m not surprised in the slightest by the salary, or the NTC for that matter.

The real fun begins when camp and preseason begins.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/10/18 at 02:37 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 08/10/18 at 02:36 PM ET

It’s not perfect but it is excellent. Worth every penny. I’m not sure if they give a free trial, or if you team up with someone on here if you both get discounts. If they do though, absolutely give it a go. If they don’t, absolutely give it a go.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 08/10/18 at 02:54 PM ET

Red Wings deploying $6M/year for Larkin is a great value compared to Coyotes $4.5M/year for Christian Dvorak.

I think $6M is the new #2 center money. I don’t see Larkin as a competitive team’s #1 center, so the risk is that he’ll be chronically overmatched like Jordan Staal, essentially a great defensive center who is defaulted to #1 by virtue of having nobody else on the team. The #1s are Seguin, Pavelski, Crosby, Tavares, McDavid, Eichel, Toews, Stamkos and you do basically need to get a real comparable center to win Cups.

Posted by mtta on 08/10/18 at 03:25 PM ET

Larkin will be 27 when he starts his next contract

This part scares me a touch because his next deal with likely be for 8 years, if the CBA isn’t changed. Based on what we’re seeing, forwards really seem to fall off a cliff in their early to mid 30s.  And only getting 1 year of UFA isn’t great.  He might be a bit overpaid but he’s a very fine player and appears to be the face of the franchise going forward.  It’s not the worse thing.

Posted by Steve1306 on 08/10/18 at 03:35 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Posted by Steve1306 on 08/10/18 at 03:35 PM ET

Absolutely!! Especially players who play the game based on speed talent.

I was never the best on the team at dribbling a soccer ball, my shot is average, my passing is average, but my speed and drive allow me to play competitive soccer and be above average. But once I hit 30 (add in a leg break), I started to lose a step compared to the 19 year olds I’m playing against, and I’m now a below average soccer player. So here’s to hoping Larks is either ageless, or he becomes a super smart player so that when his speed goes he can still play at a high level.

I’ve always theorized that speed players are good trading chips when they’re still in their prime, because it’s undoubtedly one of the first things to go with age. Play the guessing game, get the best years out of a speed player, and get a hefty return before the decline.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 08/10/18 at 03:45 PM ET

To repeat again how LTIR works: if player is put on LTIR at the beginning of the season, team’s cap at the beginning of the season becomes their maximum cap until all players are removed from LTIR. So, if Wings start the season $700 000 below the cap with Franzen on LTIR, their cap space will be 0. They could, of course, get all the space they need by putting Zetterberg on LTIR couple of days after the start of the season. On the other hand, if Wings put full 23-men roster and put both Franzen and Zetterberg on LTIR, they will have 0 cap space whole season (at least, until they trade someone).

Posted by Davor on 08/10/18 at 04:36 PM ET

That just tells me it is worse than it looks.

So typically this is why teams place players on LTIR immediately AFTER the season begins and to do so they must meet the salary cap with said player the day the season starts?

How on earth are the Wings going to shave $3M+ before the season starts and have a minimum number of roster players?

Posted by evileye on 08/10/18 at 04:58 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Yet another nice home-town discount.

Nothing to complain about here.

Congratulations, Larkin!!

Posted by alwaysaurie on 08/10/18 at 06:26 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Where is all the crying about his full NTC in year 5?

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/10/18 at 07:16 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Good contract. Nearly a top 50 scorer and with the cap up, his comparable contracts looks favorable.

Spent all this time crying about paying for past performance, and now that he pays for potential, the curmudgeons are at it again. There is no winning with the FS Jrs lol

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/10/18 at 07:39 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I figured around $5.75 million. Good for Larkin. Hope he continues progressing each year. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 08/10/18 at 11:09 PM ET

AzWingsFan's avatar

@Tripwire - I just upped for another year of The Athletic, it’s good journalism and well worth the subscription.

5 years sets Larkin up to be 27 when this contract ends which sets him up for the big payday with an 8 year deal that will take him to 35 which will take him into the the Ken Holland Loyalty Special contract which will be whatever % of the cap can be max given to a single player….

Seriously though, I have no problem with this contract because I believe the idea is getting him that 8 year deal at an age that it won’t be to horrible when it ends at 35.  Larkin’s development continues and I honestly like how his game matured last year and they way he already carries himself. I can see him being a long time captain for the Wings in the future so it really looks to me that this is just a setup contract to make him a career Wing and honestly, that is not a bad thing.  I just hope in 2 years that Holland and Wings finally part ways (Along with the rest of the front office) and Little Illitch gets some new blood to run the ship because we are going to bad for a very long time if he keeps bringing Holland back.

Posted by AzWingsFan on 08/11/18 at 02:46 AM ET

Yes. The other trick is what Holland did couple of times: put on opening day waiver-exempt players with highest cap figure and switch them immediately to the ones you wanted. That way you can get 100 - 200 K per player.

The idea is that LTIR cap relief is to enable the team to bring in players to offset injured players. Team had the offseason, so they brought in whomever they needed.

Posted by Davor on 08/11/18 at 05:15 AM ET

I guess with Mark Hunter returning to be GM of London as well as an owner,
the talk about joining the front office didn’t lead to any promises or
inside track to take over as GM in Detroit.

That’s just one alternative foregone. But couple that with Holland historic MO
and assumptions among MSM beat writers who talk to Holland a lot that
he might want to promote from within - Draper, Martin, Fischer, and it
looks like Holland proteges who may or may not have their own
strengths and styles will have that inside track.

Posted by Lefty30 on 08/11/18 at 06:29 AM ET