Abel to Yzerman

19’s Not For Everybody

Shane Doan’s a guy I wanted the Wings to pick up a few years ago.  Actually, Shane Doan’s a guy I wanted the Wings to pick up a few weeks ago.  But now he’s just a bitch.  If you’re a Coyote fan, don’t take that the wrong way.  Nothing personal.  I mean no harm by saying that. I’m just pointing out the fact that if you’re a captain, and you wear a specific number, you should probably avoid running Nick Lidstrom behind the play, putting your team down a man, then down a goal.

Captains don’t do that. Bitches? They do, but not captains.

Oh, we know why Shane’s all uptight and bothered.  Uncle Mike and the Real 19 left him off the Olympic squad and you know Tick Tock probably had a say in it too.  So the JV 19 decided to throw his weight around and punish a few Wings.  Game 1 was impressive. He went Kronwall hunting and got him.  He nailed a few others along the way and by golly if he wasn’t deemed effective.

Until he cornered the Perfect Human and forgot captains don’t run around like Tyson Nash.  Captains bide their time and win stuff.  Assholes like Ed Jovanowski?  They run around. They run their mouths and they spend summers wondering where the Cup went…again.

Since we’re into random observations now, let’s talk a little goaltending.  No offense to Russian goalies, but Bryzgalov now reminds me of another of his countrymen who doesn’t scare me one bit anymore.  We were way ahead of the smart kids here about three years ago when we said Nabokov was, essentially, a whole lot of jack squat.  While everyone else was proclaiming him as unstoppable we pointed out the fact that the Wings had his number.

“Breezy”? Same story.  He’s shown me nothing and he was the one factor that scared me going in to this series.

But he’s not the topic of discussion today is he?  Around mid-day one of you asked a good question over on the live blog.  If the Wings had lost Game 2 would we be clamoring for a goalie change?

Easy to say it today, but I’m in the camp that says no.  If I thought Chris Osgood could come in and steal a game? Maybe. But I can’t remember him stealing a period much less a game.  If I thought that putting Ozzie back there would change an attitude or give the team a jump?  Sure. But, it’s been Jimmah all year that this team has rallied around.  He’s the guy they want back there and they’ll rally for him.

And I like the thought about starting on the road helping Howard.  He needed to experience a win in hostile territory, a win in a must-win situation.  He did that.  He’s back home tomorrow where the puppies and fire trucks are.  He’ll be fine.

So yesterday I realize in a panic that my warship doesn’t have Versus.  As many of you know, I’m living on the ship until the IwoCPO family arrives in May.  I did a little searching for San Diego sports bars and found one.  Emailed the west coast contingent of the 19 and let them all know where I’d be in the event they wanted to join me.  Minutes after I sent that email Gabe contacted me and told me that my game-day demeanor may not translate well to a drunken non-hockey understanding crowd in the Gas Lamp district.  I concurred and off to catch a train I went.  A genius move, as it turned out, considering OLN’s blackout until after little brother and Bubba’s game was done. Thanks Gary. Ass.

One hour later and I’m in Gabe’s shrine to the Wings, swilling beers and waiting for Game 2.  I’m serious, he’s got a man-room you’d all be proud of.  Yzerman sweaters, McCarty’s Flint Generals jersey and helmet.  A Jason Wooley stick for god’s sake.  Yzerman sticks, Kocur, Maltby and Draper sticks.  Awesome.

Plus he’s got two of the cutest little Wing goblins you’ve ever seen.  As a dad of girls who are halfway across the country right now, there’s something special about seeing toddlers in Wing jerseys.  Nothing’s cuter than that.

The West Coast gathering of the 19 continues tomorrow at 11:30 PST at a bar called Miller’s Field in Pacific Beach.  I’ll be arriving with Rummy and wearing my stylish H2H t-shirt (thanks Jen).

Wings in 5. I’m just sayin’.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from The Frigid North on 04/18/10 at 10:13 AM ET

Love me some Dead, summers almost here! If you are music fan, how well do you digest this:
sick

RWBILL I live in Evanston,IL right on the border of Chicago. Zip 60202 The green dumpster behind the Chinese take-out.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 12:17 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Chunk?

Posted by RWBill from The bar on The Hasek. v00x! Hurry up Bitch! on 04/18/10 at 10:15 AM ET

Sloth

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/18/10 at 12:22 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’mma bit rusty on sending instructions to add your own icon to The A2Y Map, but these instructions devised by PaulMiami seem to work.  You have to have a Google account to add your own icon I think.
Otherwise just list your town or intersection here or email it to me.  I’ll try to use your A2Y avatar as your map icon.

1. click the link to the map
2. type in your address, city, etc. (however you want to show your location) and click search
3. click Save To
4. Select Abel to Yzerman Red Wings Blog
5. Click save
6. go back to the map itself and click your location on the left side (not on the map).  this should make the details window come up in the map
7. click the Edit button on the left side near the map title
8. change the title, and click the little blue teardrop icon - click to add your own icon (it’ll scale automatically)
9. click Save
10. click Done

Public link:

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/18/10 at 12:24 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Chunk?

Nope, Chunk was the fat kid. Sloth is pictured a few posts back, I think he was played by Brent Sutter in the movie.

Posted by dougie on 04/18/10 at 12:24 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

oh yeah, it was sloth who said “me love chunk” or something disturbing.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/18/10 at 12:26 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Yeah, I got that from you, BEL.  Still a fun guy, and as long as you didn’t get into a drunken brawl with one of Pinky’s felllow fans, then I don’t think you were too wasted…
Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/18/10 at 10:13 AM ET

No brawls that I can recall, but yeah Andrew by the time I found my way to were you guys all were sitting I was crippled.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 12:26 PM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

That is too funny cuz I signed MO CHEESE sweater at H2H. I was too drunk to notice it was him when I saw him. He was hangin with his buddies in the concourse and I just noticed his sweater with all the signatures (thinking it was players sigs) and walked up and said thats a bad ass jersey man. They all said “Jesus!” (every time I am in the D everyone calls me Jesus and/or ZetterburgJesus) and we high fived each other. Then MO says: “you wanna sign it?” So I signed the bitch still not realizing it was MO. Then I thnk in the 2nd or 3rd period he got up to do his dance and it all came back to me in regurgitated laughter. Man I was friggin wasted at H2H….....  LGRW

Yeah the link still works Bill. Do you just need the city/state or do you need addresses, zip codes, and things of this nature?

I don’t mean to seem rude, I’m new here, but who are you? (you don’t have to answer that) Why do people call you Jesus/ ZetterbergJesus? Does that work with the ladies in the D as well? What is H2H?  Who is MOCHEESE, why do you know him if you are new here?.  I seem to remember that screen name from when i used to read this site, did you just not register on the map? Sorry for the game of 20 questions, just many questions about your post, and I’m runnin a little low on sleep, and vitamins, it makes me want answers to everything i don’t understand lol, and mountains are funner than mole hills anyway

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/18/10 at 12:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

H2H, for a start:

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/18/10 at 12:36 PM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

sick

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the poopship. on 04/18/10 at 10:17 AM ET

Digest music? Not this early in the morning. That reminds me though, time to eat.

Zappa is a god, i prefer his work with the Mothers but Joe’s Garage is simply superb. Freak Out! is definitely in my top 50 of all time, and Trouble Everyday is in my top 100 songs. The best part is, he got funnier after the Mothers, but I’ve always been a 60s man at heart.

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/18/10 at 12:41 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from The Frigid North on 04/18/10 at 10:26 AM ET

I have long ass hair and a huge beard. Everyone thinks I look like the depictions of Jesus I guess. If I have my Z sweater on then people switch it ZJesus. H2H is Herm to Hockeytown.
MOCHEESE = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os3jiOLoPz0

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 12:41 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I have long ass hair

That must make pooping excruciating.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/10 at 12:43 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by monkey from Finland on 04/18/10 at 12:44 PM ET

Does that go for Old Firm colors too, Mark?  Because, you know, depending on the part of town…

I suppose there are instances where the laws of self preservation will apply. But I can’t see that ever being applicable to a ‘yotes fan.

Posted by markw from Scotland on 04/18/10 at 12:45 PM ET

monkey's avatar

How would anyone know how long Jesus’ ass hair was?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 04/18/10 at 12:45 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

That must make pooping excruciating.
Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/10 at 10:43 AM ET

That and the hemorrhoids.

How would anyone know how long Jesus’ ass hair was?
Posted by monkey from conversing with the wolves on 04/18/10 at 10:45 AM ET

yeah it is kind of silly thats why I included the word “depictions” understand now?

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 12:50 PM ET

dougie's avatar

How would anyone know how long Jesus’ ass hair was?

Posted by monkey from bat country on 04/18/10 at 10:45 AM ET

Osrt probably has some thoughts on that, once he regains consciousness .

And, EXACTLY, on the Sutter photo, thanks.

Posted by dougie on 04/18/10 at 12:50 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The Vinson and its 3,500-person crew will make San Diego their home port, bringing with them an estimated $417 million annually — a much-needed gust of wind in the sails of the regional economy.

Chief’s already pumping in beer money into the economy.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/18/10 at 12:50 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Today will be the Jetotes’ first appearance on national television.  Golf clap, everyone, please.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 04/18/10 at 12:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

How would anyone know how long Jesus’ ass hair was?
Posted by monkey from bat country on 04/18/10 at 10:45 AM ET

Well, he blended in with other Jews of the day, so his hair wasn’t too long, consistent with the times.  If it was too long it would have dragged on the ground while he was riding dinosaurs.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/18/10 at 12:52 PM ET

monkey's avatar

And, EXACTLY, on the Sutter photo, thanks.

CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK

Jesus man, take off your pants and relax.  VooX, someone needs a drink…

Posted by monkey from Finland on 04/18/10 at 12:52 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Maybe it was useful as a saddle?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 04/18/10 at 12:53 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

::clap:: ::clap::
Awww I hope they enjoy their first ride on the Douche Canoe.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 12:53 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

How would anyone know how long Jesus’ ass hair was?
Posted by monkey from conversing with the wolves on 04/18/10 at 10:45 AM ET

What, you’ve never heard of the Shroud of Charmin?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/10 at 12:54 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

I totally forgot, THAT is what makes people call me jesus, The daym triceratops I drive.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 12:55 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by monkey from bat country on 04/18/10 at 10:52 AM ET

Sorry didn’t mean to sound all butt hurt, after I read it it did sound kinda like WTF bitch, hahaha my bad, and I DO need a drink btw.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 01:00 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

In honor of Chief’s San Diego arrival, I’m on the Green Flash Imperial IPA this morning, hey, it’s 10 am somewhere, oh yeah, here.

ABV: 9.4%
IBU’s: 101

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/18/10 at 01:00 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by RWBill from The bar on The Hasek. v00x! Hurry up Bitch! on 04/18/10 at 11:00 AM ET

mmmmmm looks good.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 01:24 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Jesus pose with playoff beard in full effect bitches.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 01:29 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Jesus pose with playoff beard in full effect bitches.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the poopship. on 04/18/10 at 11:29 AM ET

And the sunlight coming through the blinds right above your head creates an interesting halo effect.

BTW, we need to finish up this mini thread before the rest of the 19 get home from church.

Posted by dougie on 04/18/10 at 01:35 PM ET

dougie's avatar

What, you’ve never heard of the Shroud of Charmin?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/10 at 10:54 AM ET

Damn, J.J., you have raised the bar pretty high for yourself with that one. Pace yourself, it’s early.

Posted by dougie on 04/18/10 at 01:38 PM ET

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the poopship. on 04/18/10 at 11:29 AM ET

You’re missing a cross strapped to your back.

Posted by Aphaea from Pennsylvania on 04/18/10 at 01:48 PM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

“Ya know, I’ve always said, If I had to *#$%@& a guy, I mean had too, I’d *#$%@& Elvis.”

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/18/10 at 03:32 PM ET

Very cool stuff about the various “hockey caves” some of you have.  I got so much more stuff (mostly photos) than I have wall space, that I actually have to rotate it periodically.  Among my autographed pics I’ve got Gordie Howe, Stevie Y, Ozzie, Rafalski, Igor Larionov, hell even Mickey Redmond…got a bunch of other un-signed pics on what I call my Red Wings Wall of Fame, along with vintage banners, pennants, framed Detroit Free Press front pages from 97, 98. 02 & 08, my flat screen teevee and all my music gear.  Just need to add a bar, a kegerator and a small fridge and I might just never leave!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/18/10 at 01:58 AM ET

That’s like a museum, man.  Amazing…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/18/10 at 03:42 PM ET

Look no furthur than the Great State of Michigan! U. of M. is obviously an amazing school, Congrats, smarty pants! Man what I would give to have to make that decision, turning down the Blue is something I could never do, couldn’t turn down the Green one either, which may have something to do with the fact neither sent me any letters…and i never bothered applying

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from The Frigid North on 04/18/10 at 08:08 AM ET

Thanks!  Hehe, I didn’t apply to any colleges right out of high school, either, but apparently I missed the constant banging my head against the wall and came back for more.

And Mule93 adds to the San Diego contingent, welcome Bitch!

For all you more recent newly posting Bastards don’t forget to get yourselves on The A2Y Map.  You can email me at radiomann at comcast.net and I can email instructions to you how to place your own icon, or tell me what city or landmark you want to be placed at and I’ll add you.  Does this link still work?

Posted by RWBill from The bar on The Hasek. v00x! Hurry up Bitch! on 04/18/10 at 09:40 AM ET

Thanks, bitch!  Glad to be here!  You guys have probably kept me from having multiple heart attacks after Wings games over the past few months with all the good humor.

Posted by MulesWillFly93 on 04/18/10 at 03:46 PM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

“Drexel, what’s a Drexel?”

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/18/10 at 03:46 PM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

H2H, for a start:

Posted by RWBill from The bar on The Hasek. v00x! Hurry up Bitch! on 04/18/10 at 10:36 AM ET

Damn that is really really cool. Good time had by all?

I see, I thought MO CHEESE was a member of this blog, so thinking that, it made it seem as if you were giving me the run around. Thanks for clearing that up I really need to start reading these comments before i post, but i don’t know if i want to, game day i just need an outlet, and the day after i need Red Wings reading material. Too bad I just have to read me appearing to be a douche, but oh well.

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/19/10 at 06:01 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2