Abel to Yzerman

19’s Not For Everybody

Shane Doan’s a guy I wanted the Wings to pick up a few years ago.  Actually, Shane Doan’s a guy I wanted the Wings to pick up a few weeks ago.  But now he’s just a bitch.  If you’re a Coyote fan, don’t take that the wrong way.  Nothing personal.  I mean no harm by saying that. I’m just pointing out the fact that if you’re a captain, and you wear a specific number, you should probably avoid running Nick Lidstrom behind the play, putting your team down a man, then down a goal.

Captains don’t do that. Bitches? They do, but not captains.

Oh, we know why Shane’s all uptight and bothered.  Uncle Mike and the Real 19 left him off the Olympic squad and you know Tick Tock probably had a say in it too.  So the JV 19 decided to throw his weight around and punish a few Wings.  Game 1 was impressive. He went Kronwall hunting and got him.  He nailed a few others along the way and by golly if he wasn’t deemed effective.

Until he cornered the Perfect Human and forgot captains don’t run around like Tyson Nash.  Captains bide their time and win stuff.  Assholes like Ed Jovanowski?  They run around. They run their mouths and they spend summers wondering where the Cup went…again.

Since we’re into random observations now, let’s talk a little goaltending.  No offense to Russian goalies, but Bryzgalov now reminds me of another of his countrymen who doesn’t scare me one bit anymore.  We were way ahead of the smart kids here about three years ago when we said Nabokov was, essentially, a whole lot of jack squat.  While everyone else was proclaiming him as unstoppable we pointed out the fact that the Wings had his number.

“Breezy”? Same story.  He’s shown me nothing and he was the one factor that scared me going in to this series.

But he’s not the topic of discussion today is he?  Around mid-day one of you asked a good question over on the live blog.  If the Wings had lost Game 2 would we be clamoring for a goalie change?

Easy to say it today, but I’m in the camp that says no.  If I thought Chris Osgood could come in and steal a game? Maybe. But I can’t remember him stealing a period much less a game.  If I thought that putting Ozzie back there would change an attitude or give the team a jump?  Sure. But, it’s been Jimmah all year that this team has rallied around.  He’s the guy they want back there and they’ll rally for him.

And I like the thought about starting on the road helping Howard.  He needed to experience a win in hostile territory, a win in a must-win situation.  He did that.  He’s back home tomorrow where the puppies and fire trucks are.  He’ll be fine.

So yesterday I realize in a panic that my warship doesn’t have Versus.  As many of you know, I’m living on the ship until the IwoCPO family arrives in May.  I did a little searching for San Diego sports bars and found one.  Emailed the west coast contingent of the 19 and let them all know where I’d be in the event they wanted to join me.  Minutes after I sent that email Gabe contacted me and told me that my game-day demeanor may not translate well to a drunken non-hockey understanding crowd in the Gas Lamp district.  I concurred and off to catch a train I went.  A genius move, as it turned out, considering OLN’s blackout until after little brother and Bubba’s game was done. Thanks Gary. Ass.

One hour later and I’m in Gabe’s shrine to the Wings, swilling beers and waiting for Game 2.  I’m serious, he’s got a man-room you’d all be proud of.  Yzerman sweaters, McCarty’s Flint Generals jersey and helmet.  A Jason Wooley stick for god’s sake.  Yzerman sticks, Kocur, Maltby and Draper sticks.  Awesome.

Plus he’s got two of the cutest little Wing goblins you’ve ever seen.  As a dad of girls who are halfway across the country right now, there’s something special about seeing toddlers in Wing jerseys.  Nothing’s cuter than that.

The West Coast gathering of the 19 continues tomorrow at 11:30 PST at a bar called Miller’s Field in Pacific Beach.  I’ll be arriving with Rummy and wearing my stylish H2H t-shirt (thanks Jen).

Wings in 5. I’m just sayin’.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

monkey's avatar

Come on LA, get that split.

Terry Murray is their coach, and he’s already panicking.  They’re done.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/18/10 at 12:07 AM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Plus he’s got two of the cutest little Wing goblins you’ve ever seen.

Turns out the girls were pretty smitten with you, Chief. Julia even forgot to be disappointed that you weren’t Nick Lidstrom.

Glad you could make it up here, it was great having you over.  Although I gotta say…if the Wings had lost, there’s a very real possibility that we’d have spent most of today in Tijuana trying to find someone to smuggle us back into the country.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/18/10 at 12:25 AM ET

Holy shit.  LA all tied up with the ‘Nucks at 2 apiece.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/18/10 at 12:28 AM ET

EFWolverine's avatar

Holy fuch, LA with a goal, some nervousness in front of their net, and a 3 on 1 that leads to the tying goal just like that. 2-2.

Posted by EFWolverine from Dearborn on 04/18/10 at 12:29 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Have a great time at the game tomorrow Ms B, and if you get arrested for that ‘Douche Canoe’ sign…call me…I’ll be happy to come bail you out.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/18/10 at 12:33 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Canucks are back on their heels.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/18/10 at 12:36 AM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Big Mo is now with LA.

Speaking of Mo, is anyone else as disappointed as I am that we didn’t get Herm to meet MO CHEESE?  Remember that fuching guy?  I wanted someone to introduce Herm to him, considering the occasion it seems quite probable, and that way I could use it as an excuse to meet him myself.

MO CHEESE.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 04/18/10 at 12:46 AM ET

HAHAHAHAHA.  The Green Men are at tonight’s game again.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/18/10 at 01:05 AM ET

LA doesn’t have a chance, though i am pullin for them

Posted by LovelyRedWings,MeterReader from The Frigid North on 04/18/10 at 01:23 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

LA doesn’t have a chance, though i am pullin for them
Posted by LovelyRedWings,

Just hoping for a long series to wear the Canucks down.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/18/10 at 01:37 AM ET

Henrik from Daniel

Posted by LovelyRedWings,MeterReader from The Frigid North on 04/18/10 at 01:41 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Just hoping for a long series to wear the Canucks or Kings down.
Posted by HockeyTownTodd

FIXED

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/18/10 at 02:02 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

That sucks for the Canucks.  The refs ignore a high stick and a goaltender interference penalty at the beginning of OT, but then remember their whistles for the game winning PP.  Also, what happened to Sammy that he no longer is a turnover machine?

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 04/18/10 at 02:03 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Just tweeted:

COMPLAIN all you want about officiating in OT, but that winner made it 3 unanswered goals against the Nucks.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/18/10 at 02:17 AM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/18/10 at 02:19 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

fleeting emotional expletives are fine, but a stream of invective deliberately to offend and for no other purpose isn’t

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 04/17/10 at 04:57 PM ET

We try to catch a few Wings games at various venues each year, and we’ve pretty much heard it all at this point.  Denver Dive fans are perennially among the most annoying of course in terms of being intolerable whiny front-runners, but when we were in San Jose this year man oh man, talk about douche-baggery…

dialog between a Shark fan and a Red Wing fan on the way out of the building…

Shark fan: (smugly) Yeah, well we’re number one in the west and you’re number eight.

DRW fan: And your next cup win will make how many for you guys?

dead silence….long pause

Shark fan: Yeah well how come you live here instead of Detroit?

DRW fan: The hell makes you assume I’d ever wanna live here?

Shark fan: You know I can buy a house in that shit-hole of a town for the price of a beer here at the Shark Tank!  (lots of laughter from the peanut gallery)

DRW fan: Man, that’s classy.  Just like your fuching hockey team, you wouldn’t have the heart or the guts last five minutes in Detroit.  And by the way, since you never answered my question, our next cup will be number twelve and, oh yeah, your guys haven’t won shit.  Oh and enjoy your fuching beer, *#$%@&.”

Shark fan: (clearly flustered), Oh yeah, well fuch you man!

Shark fans start chant of “Red Wings Suck!” as all of us giddy, high-fiving folks wearing red and white remind them as we pass by that the Wings had won the game.

Then on our way to the parking lot where our rental car was parked my ten year old son and I encounter two angry, sullen, hateful Shark fans just storming down the sidewalk with rage in their eyes who, upon seeing our jerseys, immediately launched into an obscenity-laced stream of nonsense beginning with “eff you” (directed at a man and his son no less) and careening into some insane theory that the Wings only win because the refs are on their hip pockets (a theory widely held in teal nation I might add)

Their behaviour was so stupid and disturbing that it just stopped me in my tracks, and as they walked away I just turned and watched, looked around at other people who saw what had gone down and shouted into the night “Stay classy San Jose! Stay classy!”  At which point a fellow Red Wing fan walks over to us and says “man that was seriously messed up.”

I was pretty glad to see San Jose in my rear-view mirror that might…

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/18/10 at 02:32 AM ET

Ah, I was out there in the fall, so that would explain the dryness, also coming from Michigan, anywhere but Seattle probably feels a bit dry. At least SD has free irrigation…

Well it’s good to know that that is the dryest time of the year, I definitely will have to consider making the move. I did love how you could go from 70s on the beach, to 85 six miles inland. The family I stayed with had a pool, which is probably pretty essential out there.

Posted by LovelyRedWings,MeterReader from The Frigid North on 04/17/10 at 09:15 PM ET

Yeah, it’s pretty nice out here, on the whole.  I recommend it, except for the traffic and housing prices.  Man, yeah, I wish I had a pool…luckily, my best friend’s parents did, so I spent many a hot day over there.  They are kind of expensive to keep up, though, so it’s kind of a trade-off.

As for hockey in So Cal, the Suck Pond in Anaheim is a really nice place, so when you go there to see the Wings kick some poultry butt, you’ll be in pleasant surroundings (not including the Ducks fans).  I’ve never seen the Kings, or been to Staples Center for anything, for that matter, so I couldn’t tell you anything about that either way.

Funnily enough, one of my main grad school choices is U. of Michigan, so we might be trading places!  I wish I were sane enough to be able to say that the idea of being close enough to go to Wings home games is in no way influencing my decision, but alas, I am not.

As for the original topic…the words “the Real 19” said it all.  Accept no imitators.

Posted by MulesWillFly93 on 04/18/10 at 02:37 AM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/18/10 at 02:52 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Very cool stuff about the various “hockey caves” some of you have.  I got so much more stuff (mostly photos) than I have wall space, that I actually have to rotate it periodically.  Among my autographed pics I’ve got Gordie Howe, Stevie Y, Ozzie, Rafalski, Igor Larionov, hell even Mickey Redmond…got a bunch of other un-signed pics on what I call my Red Wings Wall of Fame, along with vintage banners, pennants, framed Detroit Free Press front pages from 97, 98. 02 & 08, my flat screen teevee and all my music gear.  Just need to add a bar, a kegerator and a small fridge and I might just never leave!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/18/10 at 02:58 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Hodad’s. Ocean Beach. San Diego.  Been there. O.B. is an awesome place to hang out.  Grab some mexican food and a sixer, head out to the end of the pier.  Good times!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/18/10 at 03:03 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by WestWing

Wild story, but sad to hear too.

“Dad, why did that man just yell at us?”

“Because there are only two kinds of people in the world son. Hear me well. There are Winners and there are Haters. We’re Winners son, so that Hater was just hating.”

“That makes sense Dad, thanks. But what’s on your nose?”

“Cocaine son. Winners need to kick Hater-ass sometimes. Wait here. Dad will be right back.”

Posted by Osrt on 04/18/10 at 05:31 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

In Sweden, everybody love ABBA!

No frickin’ kidding, Homer.  Even the toughest biker in the loudest bar in the rural north with a meth buzz on and tattoos all over…if you disrespect ABBA in front of him, or just declare that you’re not a fan…well, you better be prepared to run, and fast.

Jesus Sully, the point was to introduce Herm to his first Wings game, not to traumatize him.  Though I suppose one of us could have searched him out.  I know he was at games last year because I saw him on TV a few times, and he might be around for these playoffs, but…the dude is seriously weird.  If you can get him to talk to you, even for a minute, you’ll know what I mean.

Besides, I think Osrt and a few others took Herm to the Landing Strip.  Can you imagine what would have happened if he’d gone from that to getting a dance from Mo Cheese at the Joe?

BTW, a tip of the ol’ CCM for your antics at Game 2.  Well done man.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/18/10 at 06:09 AM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

I’m hammered and awake at 2:45 am, yet I’m going to be at Miller’s Field no later than 11:30am.  Let’s go fuching Red Wings.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 04/18/10 at 06:46 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

So, it’s 4:15 am MDT, that’s 6:15 am EST, and I’m fuching hammered and high at the same time. Why you might ask? Because I’m celebrating the Red Wings game two triumph. And as I expect to do, I’ll be throwing another party at about 4:00 pm MDT to celebrate a motherfauxing Red Wings game three victory. JIMMAH~!, and the Lords of the Stanley Cup, bitches.

LET’S GO RED WINGS

(holy shit, no typos. Maybe from now on I should only post when I’m half in the bag)

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/18/10 at 07:18 AM ET

Posted by mserven from warmer than where you are, Arizona on 04/17/10 at 03:34 PM ET

What a numpty. He doesn’t wear his yotes jersey at away games out of fear—nothing to do with respecting the other team. Pansy. Team colours are worn out of pride and not hidden away ‘cause you’re afraid of upsetting the natives. Wear them with pride in any and all places or don’t wear them at all. He’s yapping about respecting the other team when he clearly doesn’t have any respect for his own.

Posted by markw from Scotland on 04/18/10 at 07:29 AM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

Idk if anyone else has posted this song already, but boy what a song for the 19
Tom Waits - Mule Variations - Get Behind the Mule

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/18/10 at 08:57 AM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

Look no furthur than the Great State of Michigan! U. of M. is obviously an amazing school, Congrats, smarty pants! Man what I would give to have to make that decision, turning down the Blue is something I could never do, couldn’t turn down the Green one either, which may have something to do with the fact neither sent me any letters…and i never bothered applying

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/18/10 at 09:08 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

omg, again so much genius in the thread.

thanks mserve, the iPad has a great youtube player App built into it.  Picked up the video right away.  It is awesome for web browsing and even works super for getting my comcast.net email through wi-fi, something i could have used when out in southern California.

Thanks for the printing option DennisPolonich, I’ll need to remember that one, very 21st century!

And Mule93 adds to the San Diego contingent, welcome Bitch!

For all you more recent newly posting Bastards don’t forget to get yourselves on The A2Y Map.  You can email me at radiomann at comcast.net and I can email instructions to you how to place your own icon, or tell me what city or landmark you want to be placed at and I’ll add you.  Does this link still work?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/10 at 10:40 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from The Frigid North on 04/18/10 at 01:19 AM ET

Haha, an authentic English tea cozy to keep the pot warm.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/10 at 10:51 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

Wild story, but sad to hear too.

“Dad, why did that man just yell at us?”

“That makes sense Dad, thanks. But what’s on your nose?”

Posted by Osrt on 04/18/10 at 04:31 AM ET

If they hate then let’em hate and watch that money pile up…

Posted by pgoody on 04/18/10 at 10:54 AM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

MO CHEESE.
Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 04/17/10 at 11:46 PM ET

That is too funny cuz I signed MO CHEESE sweater at H2H. I was too drunk to notice it was him when I saw him. He was hangin with his buddies in the concourse and I just noticed his sweater with all the signatures (thinking it was players sigs) and walked up and said thats a bad ass jersey man. They all said “Jesus!” (every time I am in the D everyone calls me Jesus and/or ZetterburgJesus) and we high fived each other. Then MO says: “you wanna sign it?” So I signed the bitch still not realizing it was MO. Then I thnk in the 2nd or 3rd period he got up to do his dance and it all came back to me in regurgitated laughter. Man I was friggin wasted at H2H….....  LGRW

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 10:54 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

I’m was watching the Sports Reporters on ESPN this morning, and Mitch Albom’s ears are really wierd, they are like horizontal in relation to his head…

Posted by pgoody on 04/18/10 at 10:58 AM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by RWBill from The bar on The Hasek. v00x! Hurry up Bitch! on 04/18/10 at 09:40 AM ET

Yeah the link still works Bill. Do you just need the city/state or do you need addresses, zip codes, and things of this nature?

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/18/10 at 10:59 AM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

I <3 music

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/18/10 at 11:01 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I don’t want to get too exact with anyone’s location, a city landmark, intersection of nearby highways, whichever dumpster you crashed in last night, that’ll do!  whatever works for you.  Let me know and I can update your the map with your icon and location in a jiffy.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/10 at 11:03 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I thought we already had BEL in Chicago, but that’s Franzen’sMouthGuard (lmao)

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/10 at 11:11 AM ET

LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader's avatar

Grateful Dead - Alligator

Posted by LovelyG,RedWings,MeterReader from Objectively Looking through a Red Glass Onion on 04/18/10 at 11:13 AM ET

YYZerman's avatar

I think we have a winner

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/18/10 at 11:13 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Wear them with pride in any and all places or don’t wear them at all.

Does that go for Old Firm colors too, Mark?  Because, you know, depending on the part of town…

Tom Waits - Mule Variations - Get Behind the Mule

Good song, but our official Waits song is Jockey Full of Bourbon (have a look a few liveblogs ago).  Much as I’d like to see it changed to Ol’ 55 (last Cup before the modern era), it ain’t gonna happen.

And while U of M is my alma mater (born, raised, went to school in A2; a real homer), I’ll refrain from comment because I never did postgraduate work there.

Man I was friggin wasted at H2H….....

Yeah, I got that from you, BEL.  Still a fun guy, and as long as you didn’t get into a drunken brawl with one of Pinky’s felllow fans, then I don’t think you were too wasted…

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 04/18/10 at 11:13 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Chunk?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/10 at 11:15 AM ET

1 2 >       Next »