Abel to Yzerman

17 Left. Kenny?

And now Cotsonika’s just going flat-out BFF with the Holland talk.

@cotsonika

Wings fans saying it’s what-have-you-done-for-me-lately. Um, Cup in ‘08, Game 7 in ‘09, 21 straight playoffs, offers for Parise, Suter

I’ll tell you this: if we land a few critical pieces between now and whenever, I’ll be with you Nick.  But Tootoo, Samuelsson, Gustavsson and Brunner aren’t cutting it…not when he’s admitted for nearly a year that upgrades are sorely needed and today’s the day to do it.

Update: interesting statement from Nick Cotsonika.

@cotsonika

cotsonika: Amazing how Ken Holland has not earned the benefit of the doubt among at least some of the Detroit fan base.

Well…has the team improved since we lost to Bubba?  Money to spend, Nick. Holes to fill.  Homer’s gone? Tootoo.  Hudler? Sammy.  A backup goalie? Got it.  Brunner? Untested.  Tell me that if this UFA thing ends today we’d be a favorite.  Land me Suter and we’ll talk about benefit of the doubt.

A bit more below on why I think Semin may not be an option any longer.

On the record:  like the Gustavsson deal.  Re-phrase: Really dig that deal.

Samuelsson?  The money Hudler deserves with a bit more production and grit, but not much more.  I’m neutral.

Absolutely despise the Tootoo signing.  I honestly dislike this player and I’m not sure I’ll be able to set that aside.

I don’t believe we’re in the running for Parise and I’m not sure Semin is an option either. If that’s the case and William Tell plus Tootoo are the “plan b” options? Failure.

I think we’re still in it for Suter.

And just to repeat: the Tootoo signing disgusts me.

Question from our very own agitator, Garth: why do I believe Semin isn’t an option anymore? Because if we get Suter for 10, and it’s going to take 10, that leaves us 7 with a few moves to go. I still think Knuble’s coming (although the Tootoo signing may have done away with that).  I just don’t see the Wings signing 4 more forwards (including Brunner), Suter and a goalie.

But, a trade could very well be happening as we speak, too.  You’ve read that we’re in on Nash…ok.  And the BJ’s wanted Gustavsson. Maybe they’ll get him, along with Tootoo.

If we get Semin and Suter, but miss out on Parise?  I’m reluctantly ok with that, when you consider all else that’s gone down.

And if we land Nash, along with Suter? I’m reservedly ok with that too…depending on who and what we give up to get him.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3

WestWing's avatar

Just about all the buzz out there is that DET is out of the runing for Parise.  Carle, Suter and a trade for a goal-scorer sounds like a plausible backup plan.  Shit, there I go being logical again.  Maybe I should go back to not speculating.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/12 at 09:07 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

is that Tootoo? I’m just checking.

The guy is a piece of garbage.  If he’s not traded, I’m going to resent this signing for years to come.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/01/12 at 07:49 PM ET

This is the guy that Nashville scratched 7 of 10 playoff games.

Sounds like a great addition for the Wings.

No, of course not, he’s an idiot.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/01/12 at 09:10 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/12 at 08:07 PM ET

Meh, you’re onto something.  I’m guessing Parise goes to Pittsburgh so he can play 70 games a year with Malkin while Crosby is in the press box, and DET is now pushing hard for Nash.  Suter seems like he might indeed come.  I have no hopes for Carle.

Suter-or-bust for d-men, and a trade-or-bust for forward.  Not a really comfortable position still…

Posted by Primis on 07/01/12 at 09:11 PM ET

jimathor's avatar

I’ve been out all day. I’ve tried to ignore most of the day (although Mrs. Jimmy will tell you that’s straight BS).

The way I see it is this: Sammy - Better the devil you know, he shoots right, he can put goals away, he’s a swede, he’s a known entity and straight replacement for the pimp, I’m okay with this, he’s a pimp that doesn’t bottle.

TooToo? Well, hell Homer mark 2 - not afraid to battle, knows Helmer and has a nice edge of the Mcarty/Drake “Come hither and redeem thyself” sense to it. If he sucks, he sucks, but I have enough respect for our locker-room to knock that out, plus Nyquist/Helm/Tootoo on the 3rd? Fuch me that’s a lot of speed/grind.

Also, Quincey and Sammy back in the fold? Yeesh. Those Hasek rumours are starting to burn.

As for Suter/Parise/Nash/Semin/Carle. Meh. Call me when training camp starts then I’ll tell you whether I still love Kenny.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 07/01/12 at 09:14 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

I have no problem with these moves.
Those that despise TooToo are more than likely the fans that only see him play when it is against the Wings.

I mentioned earlier that Detroit never won a cup without veterans on the 3rd and 4th line, and that problem needed addressing.

Sammy, the only reason he got away was we were up against the cap and Kenny had to pick between Hudler and Sammy.  He went with Hudler, not knowing the little weasel was going to defect to the KHL.  Sammy is still made of sandpaper, just hoping they insist he use a wrist shot from the blueline.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/01/12 at 09:14 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Sammy absolutely makes this team better if you look at his addition as offsetting Hudler leaving. Folks forget, or never noticed, that he was a GOOD two-way player. Yeah, he might be William Tell, but his effort was far more reliable than Hudler’s, and he has size, and defense. If given the opportunity to play alongside the players Hudler played with, I fully expect him to replace the scoring in full. Don’t forget that when he was here the first time his offensive numbers always looked a little lower than what we expected, in large part because he was always on the 3rd line.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/01/12 at 09:16 PM ET

jimathor's avatar

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/01/12 at 08:14 PM ET

This, if anything, I’d say the bringing back of Quincey and Sammy is nothing but a big fuch you to both the Midgets Pimp and King. We shall see.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 07/01/12 at 09:17 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

DET GM Ken Holland on signing of Jordin Tootoo: “We’re stepping out of our comfort zone.”

So I’m not the only one that’s uncomfortable with signing a guy who only suited up for 3 playoff games?  We’re THAT much worse than Nashville?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/01/12 at 09:17 PM ET

I was going to post something to respond specifically to the Chief, but generally to all the Howlers of Woe out there… but really, it doesn’t matter.  Fans that stress out and obsess about everything and see doom around every corner are going to feel that way for the 99.999% of the time their team isn’t literally raising a Cup in front of them.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with that sort of approach to fandom, but it’s also just about pointless to try and talk people out of that kind of pre-conceived, intent lamentation.

To the people on the fence, I say this:  Sammy’s better than Hudler, Gustaffson’s better than MacDonald, Brunner could surprise us, and Nyqvist is in line for a significant role.  Even if all Detroit does is sign a Plan B FA Dman to ‘replace’ Lidstrom the Wings will be a top 5 or 6 West team in 2013, barring spectacular 2010-like injury issues.

All that said, Tootoo’s a complete putz and I hate that guy.  I’m holding out hope that Holland just signed him to roster him until the start of the season and then waive him to GR just to screw him out of an NHL gig.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/01/12 at 09:18 PM ET

Can someone tell me why everyone thinks Tootoo is a piece of garbage? Is it just his off-ice issues (which seem to be cleared up) or is it that he is an instigating c*nt on the ice? In my humble estimation, sorely needed. Also like his speed and willingness to crash the net. Welcome to Detroit, Jordin.

Posted by A II R from Los Angeles on 07/01/12 at 09:18 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I get the sense Wings brass are panicking with their hands tied on the big boys.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/01/12 at 09:19 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

WXYT: Brunner is Swedish, Suter will sign for “five or six million”.

Outstanding.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/01/12 at 09:23 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Lmao

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/01/12 at 09:29 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by A II R from Los Angeles on 07/01/12 at 08:18 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 07/01/12 at 09:29 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I felt the same way aboot the Commodore signing last year, but as it turned out, it was a non-issue once the season started.

Here’s hoping Toots files the same flight plan.

Posted by dougie on 07/01/12 at 09:34 PM ET

WXYT: Brunner is Swedish, Suter will sign for “five or six million”.

Outstanding.

Heard this while driving and started yelling at the radio.  They barely cover the Wings, and then when they do…this.

Posted by heyheyhockeytown on 07/01/12 at 09:34 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

The little guy sure is entertaining isn’t he?

Tootoo, sammy make us tougher to play against. Exactly what babcock wanted. I just wish we got prust.

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/01/12 at 09:34 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Posted by A II R from Los Angeles on 07/01/12 at 08:18 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 07/01/12 at 08:29 PM ET

Maybe its wrong, but every single video you posted makes me more excited to have him on our team.  Most of the “cheapshots” he took were after he laid clean hits on guys and the opponents retaliated with instigator penalties.  And not to mention the Wings have been lacking some snarl, grit whatever the *#$%@& you want to call it for awhile now.  I hope he comes on these team and does what a 4th line forward is supposed to do.  Piss people off.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 07/01/12 at 09:44 PM ET

Primis, thanks for the videos. Topshelf, you made my point for me before I could do it. Those fired me up. We’ve had plenty of scrappy guys that have played on the edge for in our illustrious path. But it isn’t just that part that makes me excited. Our bottom lines didn’t bring much this past season. I like what he brings as a skater, as someone who will crash the net, and as someone who will make it difficult for the other team to play against us. Don’t think Mursak or Emmerton are going to make that happen.

Posted by A II R from Los Angeles on 07/01/12 at 09:50 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by topshelf14 from Hockeytown, USA on 07/01/12 at 08:44 PM ET

Yeah, won’t it be awesome to start every game with 2 stupid penalties in a row, and not just Bert’s?

Posted by Primis on 07/01/12 at 09:50 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

TOOTOO WTF?  gawd they better ban the whistle at the Joe or I won’t be watching or at the least will not be hearing Ken & mick call the game ....  and cough it up Sammy ... Kenny’s went off the deep end

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/01/12 at 09:50 PM ET

Seen our PK all season last year, topshelf?  ZERO confidence.  There’s a reason people are nervous about signing Tootoo in spite of Uncle Mike’s insistence on getting angrier/grittier/nastier on the fourth line.

Wings special teams were atrocious for the last two-thirds of the season…even with TPH.  It struggled.  Now with Blasher in GR, there’s a vacancy on Uncle Mike’s bench.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/01/12 at 09:51 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

If tootoo is what it takes to keep the rest of the shitbags in the NHL from slashing datsyuk’s wrists, then I can deal with it.

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 07/01/12 at 07:09 PM ET

and wth is TOOTS gonna do?  .. he’s an agitator not an enforcer there is a difference ...  he’ll just piss off the other teams players so they will go after our top guys even more

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/01/12 at 09:54 PM ET

Can someone come up with the story that Tootoo runs a puppy rescue mission and volunteers at the Senior Citizens’ home on Saturdays?  Because I hate the little turd and right now cannot think of a reason he shoulld be wearing the home sweater.

Posted by Colquohoun on 07/01/12 at 09:58 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Posted by Colquohoun on 07/01/12 at 08:58 PM ET

“Nearly every hockey commentator on the continent agrees that this season, Jordin played the absolute best hockey of his career. It culminated in his nomination for the Bill Masterton trophy, given to the NHL player who “best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.”

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 07/01/12 at 10:07 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Here’s hoping Toots files the same flight plan.

Posted by dougie on 07/01/12 at 08:34 PM ET

I like your thinking   :-D

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/01/12 at 10:12 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

...and a seat in the press box when spring rolled around and games started to really count.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/01/12 at 10:30 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Tootoo!!  ..........and you bitches MOCKED me?

Grab your whistles!!

Happy Canada Day bitches!

Parise?  Suter? Bah…..anybody wonder where Jordan Tootoo will end up?  Plan B baby….Plan B. wink

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Sippin sum rum, catchin sum rays, playin the bak 9 on 07/01/12 at 01:20 PM ET

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 07/01/12 at 10:31 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/01/12 at 09:30 PM ET

And maybe I missed something but did Nsh win the Cup?  Who would you rather have in a playoff game? I’d rather have someone that the other team will take notice of during the game.

48   C. Emmerton   C   0   0   0   0   0   0   8:10   0:00   0:00   8:10

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 07/01/12 at 10:53 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Christmas is cancelled.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/01/12 at 11:25 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Tootoo is scrappy as fuch. He’s got balls. Hell, maybe he can loan his balls to The Loafer in Mule and he’ll because a real power forward.. instead of a fuching pansy. At least Tootoo goes 110% Every shift.

The guy had a problem with alcohol, he’s making strides to change his life around and had a great season last year. He has speed, he hits people, he’ll fight.. and a lot better than Abby at it, too. Hell, Dallas Drake and Pat Verbeek took cheap shots and were train wrecks too.

Just my two cents.. Hate him if you want, but he always seemed to play well against the Wings. Seriously irritated the shit out of some players too.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/01/12 at 11:29 PM ET

First, I disagree about Suter getting 10.  There’s not a player in the league who has a double digit cap hit and there’s a reason for that.  Good, smart players know that the more one guy gets, the harder it is to build a team around him.  Suter, I’m betting, can and will be gotten (by whoever gets him) with something similar to what Ehrhoff and Brad Richards got and what Parise is looking for.  Front-loaded with a big signing bonus and long, to keep the cap hit “reasonable”.

Second, without Parise or Semin, and without Abdelkader, Detroit already has 15 forwards under contract.  Add to that with the fact that teams can spend up to 10% over the cap and that Detroit still hasn’t added a top-six forward and we all can see that there’s going to be a trade or trades in the future based solely on the number of forwards that are already under contract, so there’s no reason to think that Detroit can’t sign Parise or Semin if they can and deal with the overage at a later date.

Obviously they may not do it, but I don’t think it will be because of the cap if they don’t.  If they can make a deal that “works” for Parise or Semin, I doubt they will be thinking about cap space.

Posted by Garth on 07/01/12 at 11:48 PM ET

My knowledge about Tootoo’s pro career is limited.  If he is an agitator / fighter at 5’9 199
he better be the 2nd coming of Ty Domi.

Posted by beelza on 07/02/12 at 12:32 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

And the opening day of free agency ends with a slew of information on Jordin Tootoo.  Meanwhile the Wings bottom-six looks more bloated than a 45 year old chick sun-bathing at Heath Beach and the defensive personnel continues to lack the holes that we fans seem to see following the retirement of Rafalski, Lidstrom, and the departure of Stuart.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/02/12 at 01:18 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!

This confirms my suspicions.  Rumbear has actually always been Jim Nill.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/02/12 at 02:29 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Tootoo…...Oh. Mmm. Gee.  Jeebus on a pogo stick.

I called an old friend down south and have commissioned a hand carved whistle with the Winged Wheel laser etched in the finest Georgia hardwood.  Just put your lips together and .....blow.

Cruel shoes to be wearing….no doubt Kenny has Suter, Parise and a player to be named later wrapped up and is just “funning” with us.  Toot, toot….

On a side note…where is this Heath Beach?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 07/02/12 at 02:33 AM ET

If signing Tootoo means our gind line doesn’t turn into the flatline without Helm, then welcome to the club.

Posted by 5hole from MI on 07/02/12 at 06:54 AM ET