Abel to Yzerman

17 Left. Kenny?

And now Cotsonika’s just going flat-out BFF with the Holland talk.

@cotsonika

Wings fans saying it’s what-have-you-done-for-me-lately. Um, Cup in ‘08, Game 7 in ‘09, 21 straight playoffs, offers for Parise, Suter

I’ll tell you this: if we land a few critical pieces between now and whenever, I’ll be with you Nick.  But Tootoo, Samuelsson, Gustavsson and Brunner aren’t cutting it…not when he’s admitted for nearly a year that upgrades are sorely needed and today’s the day to do it.

Update: interesting statement from Nick Cotsonika.

@cotsonika

cotsonika: Amazing how Ken Holland has not earned the benefit of the doubt among at least some of the Detroit fan base.

Well…has the team improved since we lost to Bubba?  Money to spend, Nick. Holes to fill.  Homer’s gone? Tootoo.  Hudler? Sammy.  A backup goalie? Got it.  Brunner? Untested.  Tell me that if this UFA thing ends today we’d be a favorite.  Land me Suter and we’ll talk about benefit of the doubt.

A bit more below on why I think Semin may not be an option any longer.

On the record:  like the Gustavsson deal.  Re-phrase: Really dig that deal.

Samuelsson?  The money Hudler deserves with a bit more production and grit, but not much more.  I’m neutral.

Absolutely despise the Tootoo signing.  I honestly dislike this player and I’m not sure I’ll be able to set that aside.

I don’t believe we’re in the running for Parise and I’m not sure Semin is an option either. If that’s the case and William Tell plus Tootoo are the “plan b” options? Failure.

I think we’re still in it for Suter.

And just to repeat: the Tootoo signing disgusts me.

Question from our very own agitator, Garth: why do I believe Semin isn’t an option anymore? Because if we get Suter for 10, and it’s going to take 10, that leaves us 7 with a few moves to go. I still think Knuble’s coming (although the Tootoo signing may have done away with that).  I just don’t see the Wings signing 4 more forwards (including Brunner), Suter and a goalie.

But, a trade could very well be happening as we speak, too.  You’ve read that we’re in on Nash…ok.  And the BJ’s wanted Gustavsson. Maybe they’ll get him, along with Tootoo.

If we get Semin and Suter, but miss out on Parise?  I’m reluctantly ok with that, when you consider all else that’s gone down.

And if we land Nash, along with Suter? I’m reservedly ok with that too…depending on who and what we give up to get him.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

monkey's avatar

Break out the train whistles.  TOOT TOOT

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/01/12 at 07:59 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m with you on Tootoo, Chief. Hate it.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/01/12 at 07:59 PM ET

snafu's avatar

Agreed on Tootoo.  Just the wrong kind of player for this team, imo.

Re: Sammy.  It doesn’t make the team better.  It’s, at best, a neutral/lateral move, but Sammy is older than Hudler, and he’s four yrs older than the last time he was effective (Cup win).  The NTC part of it for two yrs is what blew me away.  Why?  Was there a stampede to sign Sammy to $3 MM for more than one year?

Posted by snafu from North America on 07/01/12 at 08:01 PM ET

Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter ... and Suter.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/01/12 at 08:03 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Should’ve taken Sammy’s money and put it towards Prust. Should’ve taken Tootoo’s money and put it towards ANYTHING EXCEPT JORDIN TOOTOO.

This day is a complete stain on the face of Red Wings hockey.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/01/12 at 08:03 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

‘whistles’ is the wrong chemistry ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/01/12 at 08:04 PM ET

I smell a trade coming ....

Posted by Hockeytown Wax on 07/01/12 at 08:05 PM ET

Sure have a lot of forwards….

Posted by borq646 from South Lyon, MI on 07/01/12 at 08:05 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Jordin Tootoo in the winged wheel?

Not for one stankin’ minute am I going to try to get used to that. Just Goddammit.

Posted by dougie on 07/01/12 at 08:06 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

ROFL we’re so fuching fuched.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 07/01/12 at 08:06 PM ET

If tootoo is what it takes to keep the rest of the shitbags in the NHL from slashing datsyuk’s wrists, then I can deal with it.  As for sammy?  Are we that desperate for a right handed shot?  Why not bring j Williams back again? (sarcasm).  We have a lot of forwards, looks like there is a trade in the works and Sammy is plugging one of the holes that are about to be created with that trade.

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 07/01/12 at 08:09 PM ET

Riviera's avatar

There has to be a trade brewing - we have 22 players with only 5 d and two RFA players.

I don’t like the Tootoo signing one bit either.

Posted by Riviera from Phoenix on 07/01/12 at 08:09 PM ET

I’d take Tootoo and his energy over Sammy shooting pucks wide all game any day.  When you play on a team with a guy like Tootoo, while you’re watching him from the bench he fires you up.  Great guy to be on the same team with.

Posted by Ryan from Milwaukee on 07/01/12 at 08:10 PM ET

and I’m not sure Semin is an option either.

Based on?

Posted by Garth on 07/01/12 at 08:10 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

He hits more than Abby, scores more than Abby, agitates more than Abby, and is gonna make less money than Abby. The problem?

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 07/01/12 at 08:11 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

I smell a trade coming ....

Posted by Hockeytown Wax on 07/01/12 at 07:05 PM ET

I have been wondering about this, but to whom, and for what?  Seriously, who would take Tootoo for that kind of money?  That’s Darren Helm money.  He’s worth more than Miller?  or Eaves?  WTF?  I like the grit element, I really do, but I have to admit I hated the deal until I saw the money.  Then I really hated the deal.  3 years at 5.7 million is way too motherfuching much for some training camp competition.  Kenny please do something awesome and make me believe again, because you just spilled cool points all the fuch over the floor…

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 07/01/12 at 08:11 PM ET

Crow's avatar

The thing is, if they wanted a disturber, why not Avery?  He is bigger than Tootoo with a better scoring ability and we drafted him too.

Posted by Crow on 07/01/12 at 08:12 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Regarding tootoo, oh well. I like him better than abdelkader so I’m on the bus. Or is it…...TRAIN LOL

TOO!! TOO!!

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/01/12 at 08:15 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Wasn’t there a time when the Wings Nation despised Chelios? Absolutely hated him? Same with TooToo for some of you folks.. But hey.. He’s a scrappy little dude.. and incase you never seen the games.. he aways gave the Wings a hard time.. Welcome to the other side of the stick.. If he sticks around that is.. Sammy…? Eh, it’s whatever. He better hit the damn net with his shot. Gusty.. I like it.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/01/12 at 08:15 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Kenny please do something awesome and make me believe again, because you just spilled cool points all… over the floor

^^^ This. lol

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/01/12 at 08:15 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

@RorSchach

Chris Chelios was a future fall of famer. Jordin Tootoo is a former AA member. Big difference.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/01/12 at 08:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Break out the train whistles.  TOOT TOOT

Posted by monkey from pushing Jimmy Howard on 07/01/12 at 06:59 PM ET

If someone at JLA blows the Mothe- Fuc——train whistle for Too Too I will find them, lift up a concrete cinder block and break it over their Moth—Fuc——heads!

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/01/12 at 08:16 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Avery is a d-bag to not just his opponents but his teammates as well. Tootoo is not.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 07/01/12 at 08:17 PM ET

13datsyukfan13's avatar

this is tootoo much bad news for one day!

Posted by 13datsyukfan13 from Mid Michigan on 07/01/12 at 08:17 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

ROFL we’re so fuching fuched.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 07/01/12 at 07:06 PM ET

that is the first that made me laugh since I got home and was assaulted by all this unthinkable bullshit.

and not because it was funny, but for how disturbed this is.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/01/12 at 08:18 PM ET

Monster signing was good, Sammy signing is very “eh”. I would have rather sat on the 3m and let some of the younger players get more ice time. It seems like that money could have been put towards Semin.

I feel like we’re really in the mix for Suter.

A trade might be needed to appease the fan base, to be honest.

Posted by Zach Alexander on 07/01/12 at 08:18 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I love the posts on TMR saying they have lost all faith in Kenny. We aren’t out of anything yet. I may not like the footloose signing, but I think William Tell’s signing for 3rd line duty with Helm and Eaves/Miller is a good thing. Suter and Parise…ans Seminar still haven’t signed…and we now HAVE to trade a few forwards anyway…I’m far from depressed as some of these fools are; I’m intrigued. Kenny is far from done.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/01/12 at 08:18 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Footloose means tootoo. Damnedest kindle fire. Damned that is.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/01/12 at 08:20 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/01/12 at 07:16 PM ET

An what about Mr. McCarty? He enjoyed his booze quite well.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/01/12 at 08:20 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I’ll quote Kenny on this one: “it’s got to be a fit”. Tootoo?  Meh.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/01/12 at 08:21 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 07/01/12 at 07:16 PM ET

+19. BwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHahaAA.

Lets Go Red Wings In ’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/01/12 at 08:22 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by topshelf14 from Hockeytown, USA on 07/01/12 at 07:11 PM ET

He will make more money than Abby, he’s a stupid self-centered shit who plays like there’s no puck on the ice, is not anywhere near as good defensively as Abby and nowhere near as good in the locker room as Abby, and did I mention he’s a selfish stupid shit who takes stupid penalties, to the extent that even Nashville sat his ass down as a scratch in the playoffs because they couldn’t afford to have him on the ice?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/01/12 at 08:22 PM ET

Guys has anyone thought this may be at the request of a former teammate named suter?

Posted by Adam from Detroit on 07/01/12 at 08:24 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Tootoo?  Really?  I just barfed.  Not sure I can get used to this.

Though I thought the same when the wings signed Dallas Drake, and that got them a cup.  I am going to have to really think about this one.

I also don’t know about the Gustavsson signing.  My wife’s team is the leafs and I watched him blow an awful lot of games for the leafs.  But that was the leafs I guess.

Still waiting for that big deal, tick tock.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 07/01/12 at 08:25 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Posted by topshelf14 from Hockeytown, USA on 07/01/12 at 07:11 PM ET

He’s a dick hole?

Posted by dougie on 07/01/12 at 08:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Serenity now.
Serenity now.
Serenity now.
Serenity now.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/01/12 at 08:26 PM ET

Posted by Adam from Detroit on 07/01/12 at 07:24 PM ET

Any indications they were good friends at all?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/01/12 at 08:27 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Hard to believe we’ll have money for suter and semin. Because we’re definately getting suter. I’d rather not have semin due to the fact that every time I see his name in a sentence I giggle like a schoolgirl. Or is it…...gurgle LOL

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/01/12 at 08:27 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Alcohol now.
Alcohol now.
Alcohol now.
Alcohol now.

Hit Me, Mick!

Posted by dougie on 07/01/12 at 08:28 PM ET

monkey's avatar

We did not draft Sean Avery.  No one did.  Also, he’s a douche.  He’s too busy pimping out his wardrobe to play hockey at the NHL level.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/01/12 at 08:29 PM ET