Abel to Yzerman

[01/24/2014] GDT: Red Wings vs Canadiens

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict a hockey game between two teams.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Thanks as always, Red.  Surprisingly I have nothing to say about tonight’s refereeing duo.  Keep up the energy level and hope Monster is seeing the puck a little better tonight.  L.G.R.W.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/24/14 at 01:55 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, RM.

I was kind of surprised to see Bert shelved for Fred.  Does this mean Cleary goes when Pav comes back?  Pav could center the first line, keeping Nike and moving Z back over to the wing.  And Abby could go to the Helm/Fred line.  Those would be some pretty awesome lines.

Here’s hoping the Wings can keep building on that wonderful win over the Squawks.

LGRW!!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/24/14 at 01:59 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Thanks Red!

Curious on sitting the Unibomber.  He seems to have a play making quality with the kids.  Cleary is just….Cleary.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 01/24/14 at 02:15 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Someone will pipe up and say it’s for his work on the PK, but I don’t think those 1-2 minutes a night make up for his ineptitude in the o-zone or lack of wheels in general.
Big Bert has always had hands and been a MF’er in front of the opposing net minder.
But either one of these 2 is preferable to Sammy.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/24/14 at 02:39 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Mike Green (D, Washington) is available for trade.  Last I read, Babcock was a big fan of Green… Could Holland make a trade?
big surprise

Posted by w2j2 on 01/24/14 at 02:42 PM ET

Posted by w2j2 on 01/24/14 at 01:42 PM ET

No thank you. We already have plenty of offensive minded D-men who suck in their own zone.

Posted by George0211 on 01/24/14 at 02:48 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by w2j2 on 01/24/14 at 01:42 PM ET

Please, Baby Jesus no.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 01/24/14 at 02:48 PM ET

Danke Schon, RedM.  A mugful of Hawaiian Kona salute to the GDT.  Mahalo.

MTL won the last meeting between the teams, 7-2, on 1/25/12

2012?  Has it really been that long?  Wow.  Indeed, it’s time to get reacquainted.

Two points, Wings.  OUR two points.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/24/14 at 02:54 PM ET

But either one of these 2 is preferable to Sammy.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/24/14 at 01:39 PM ET

Agree.  In the game against the B’lose, David Backes (as much of a douchesniffer as $0.20) stayed put in front of Jimmy on one of their PPs and a goal was scored.  Bert, on the other hand, tried to intimidate a B’lose defenseman by stepping out of Halak’s crease as a pass found its way to Kronner at the point.  Halak saw that shot as clear as the proverbial day and killed any chance for a rebound or secondary scoring chance.  He may be a nuclear deterrent, but he’s proving less and less useful.

As I’ve stated on the LB, the difference between Shanny and Bert on the PP is that Shanny was looking to shoot.  Bert is a better puck handler than Shanny, but I’ve never seen him square up to the goalie and take a shot.  He’s always looking for two things:  to pass (which makes me angry because it’s the frickin’ PP) or a loose puck around the crease.  No wonder he had the lowest TOI of any of the Wings forwards last game.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/24/14 at 03:02 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by George0211 on 01/24/14 at 01:48 PM ET

Yes and isn’t his salary off the charts?

Washington is playoff-competitive, what’s the source that he’s up for a trade I wonder?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/24/14 at 03:08 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Well, with a little better goaltending. I would like what happened the other day. Just win baby. 2 pts. Time to go on a roll. Get healthy. Win. We’ve yet to see what a whole team would look like.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/24/14 at 03:20 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s as easy as ABC;(Anybody But Cleary). Bert is a far more effective and threatening player. And lets face it, they’re all old and slow. I still prefer Brutus to Buckets any day!

As an old timer, and, someone that remembers these two Teams playing against each other on a regular basis, I am looking forward to tonight’s tilt. Lots of history here. I know I have mentioned this before, as a kid my Uncle’s nickname for me was Beliveau, my little sister was Henri.

Thanks Menace.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/24/14 at 03:20 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Awesome nickname, Kate. smile

I like the Serial Killer. Sammy and Cleary should be a head of him on the Don’t Give A Fuch List. In reality, they probably all need to go. And will go. So it’s all good. Just gotta sit and wait.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/24/14 at 03:48 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Sit Cleary when datsyuk returns.

This would be nice

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 01/24/14 at 03:07 PM ET

You’re double shifting Abber, dude.  lol

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/24/14 at 04:10 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

You’re double shifting Abber, dude.  lol
Posted by SYF from calquake’s rug inspection office on 01/24/14 at 03:10 PM ET

Better than letting Cleary play.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/24/14 at 04:20 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

RM, thanks as always for the GDT. I really appreciate your hard work. But you have have a lot of room for improvement. Just look at the game day preview of Four Habs Fans (now known as Four Hockey Fans):

grin

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/24/14 at 04:28 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Haha…oops. Abby’s young he can handle it.  The point is I love our lineup if holland and Babcock would actually go for it.  Unfortunately I don’t see Cleary out of the lineup.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 01/24/14 at 04:35 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Unfortunately I don’t see Cleary out of the lineup.
Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 01/24/14 at 03:35 PM ET

Where’s Tonya Harding when you need her?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/24/14 at 04:36 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

This feels like a huge game tonight. Coming off the great effort to knock of the Blackhawks. A win in regulation would be a big step not only towards getting back into a wild card spot but also to making up ground on the three teams leading our division. Two wins in a row versus two good teams, both at the joe, would go a long way towards snapping me out of my hockey depression funk. Hope the boys come out firing on all cylinders tonight.

Posted by Yzersyuk on 01/24/14 at 04:50 PM ET

Wwwhhhyyy meee????  Whhhyyy???

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/24/14 at 04:51 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Two games in a row of Original Six hockey.  YAY!

LGRW!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 01/24/14 at 04:51 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Z/Pav/Nike

Jurco/Sheahan/Tatar

Abby/Helm/Fred (I haven’t seen any indication that Mule is close to returning)

Miller/Glendening/Eaves

(Don’t see why anyone would want to boot Glendening out of the line up.  He’s been playing great.)

LGRW!!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/24/14 at 04:55 PM ET

grin

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/24/14 at 03:28 PM ET

I saw bewbs and I didn’t even bother with all of the other stuff.

Agree, MsRedWinger.  I really appreciate Glendening in the lineup.  Against the Duhucks, he was totally effin’ awesome fearless.  He got into the Rangers’ faces all night as well.  If he becomes the next Maltby (and even though Glen’s a center), I’d be thrilled.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/24/14 at 04:58 PM ET

gowings's avatar

“It’s as easy as ABC;(Anybody But Cleary)”

I love this!!! I also liked the Brutus part/serial killer! All in good fun smile

By the way, I REALLY hope we can CRUSH the Canadians tonight….I can’t stand reading about how horrible they are (I keep reminding my friends that they are still in 3rd place). whether or not they stay there I don’t care (actually I do…I want them out)...but if we win tonight, then I will be sooo happy to read about their demise…..imagine…..they lose and we win the next 2…....then I can tell my folks: start panicking we are after you:)

Ahhhh it’s nice to dream!

GO WINGS

Posted by gowings from MTL on 01/24/14 at 05:34 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

In the Wildcard race, we have three games in hand over the Laffs (5 points ahead) and two in hand over Philly (2 points ahead). As for that final guaranteed spot held by the Habs, they have a 5 point lead over the Wings and both teams have played 50 games. Tonight’s tilt is HUGE. It’s a four point swing; after tonight we either trail the Habs by 3 points or trail the Habs by 7 points.

Captain Obvious says 3 points back is way better.

The last time the boys won 2 in a row was over a month ago. The last time they won more than 2 in a row was nearly two months ago.

RWBill, when will the Peloton of Suck make its appearance?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/24/14 at 06:08 PM ET

dougie's avatar

A brand new bottle of Jameson Special Reserve, and 2 hours until game time.

What to do,what to do….....?

Posted by dougie on 01/24/14 at 06:17 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

A brand new bottle of Jameson Special Reserve, and 2 hours until game time.
What to do,what to do….....?
Posted by dougie on 01/24/14 at 05:17 PM ET

Start drinking now, but be sure to save some for the PPs.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/24/14 at 06:18 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

A Francophone referee and linesman. Glad we’re not playing a team from Quebec tonight.

...wait ...

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/24/14 at 06:48 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

looks like a french ref and a french linesman. me no likey

Posted by Rdwings28 on 01/24/14 at 06:51 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by gowings from MTL on 01/24/14 at 04:34 PM ET

It’s quite nice seeing a Wings fan in Montreal. It must be tough living among the Habs fans, but, it must be nice living where most everyone is knowledgeable about the best sport on the planet.

My Uncle, a Detroiter, has always been a Habs fan. He is 77 years old, and his favorite player is Yvan Cournoyer, aka the Road Runner.

I am stoked about tonites game.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/24/14 at 07:37 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

So… What’s the actual nickname for Jurco? At any rate, I love the TRT line. Those three like playing with each other.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/24/14 at 07:39 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Tack RM !!! Hey lets go for two points tonight?? welcome back Alfredsson !!
Hmm !!!!! ?? Both Zebras are from Canada and one of them is born in Montreal (Dave Jacksson) that can be tough !!
Lets Go Red Wings !!!