Abel to Yzerman
DETROIT VS NEW YORK
- Tonight is the 100th all-time meeting between DET and NYI
- Tonight marks the 3rd of 3 meetings this season between DET and NYI, only meeting in DET
- DET’s all-time record vs. NYI: 47-44-6-2
- DET’s all-time road record at NYI: 26-19-2-1
- DET is 1-0-1 against NYI this season
- Daniel Alfredsson has 59 points (19-40-59) in 60 games vs. NYI
- Todd Bertuzzi has 14 points (6-8-14) in 14 games vs. NYI
- Bertuzzi was originally drafted by NYI (1st round, 23rd overall, 1993) and had 80 points (35-45-80) in 192 games with the team from 1995-98
- Pavel Datsyuk has 7 points (2-5-7) in 8 games vs. NYI
- Darren Helm has 6 points (3-3-6) in 6 games vs. NYI
- Pavel Datsyuk had never scored against NYI or TOR prior to this season; after goals on 11/16 at NYI and 12/21 at TOR he has now scored against every opponent he has faced
- Jonas Gustavsson is 2-1-2 with a 2.21 GAA, .921 SV% and 1 SO in 5 games vs. NYI
But let's forget about hockey for the moment and instead go back to 1975 in merry old England.
Hopefully this brings back some memories for current Detroit area residents, those of you in the out reaching areas and those of you coming home or even thinking about the days gone by during this holiday season.
Bruce Springsteen performs a Detroit Medley...
I hate you Maple Leaf - you are the worst leaf!
via Fox Sports Detroit,
The public service announcement features Detroit Red Wings players Justin Abdelkader and Daniel Alfredsson; Detroit Pistons players Greg Monroe and Chauncey Billups; FOX Sports Detroit on-air personalities Rod Allen, Darren Eliot, Mario Impemba, Chris Osgood, Craig Monroe and other local Detroiters.
... to accept the lineups I cannot change;
Courage to watch the games they play;
and an Iron Liver to survive the rest of the season.
Oh look, it's another home game against a struggling team. Predictions, anyone?
via Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,
“We’re a better team than that. It was embarrassing at times,” defenseman Niklas Kronwall said. “We were all over the place and nowhere to be found. We didn’t generate a lot, and there were way too many chances for them.”
“I liked the way we started, things were going good for about three minutes,” coach Mike Babcock said. “They shot the puck in the net and we lost momentum. We didn’t have a very good effort from that point on.”
“We’re a fragile group,” Babcock said. “When things we bad, we lost energy instead of gritting our teeth and get going. We need to win a game to feel better about ourselves.”
“We keep talking about certain things, but enough said,” Kronwall said. “It’s time to go out and do something about it.”
As far as injuries go, that cannot be what defines us. In some respects, it has to be the motivator. Like last season. More pie, anyone?
Sorry for going all Blabcock on ya'll.
Blah, blah, blah.
via Helene St. James tweets,
F Justin Abdelkader (hit in jaw Saturday) improving daily, possible before Christmas if no setbacks.
F Johan Franzen (blow to head Sunday) having concussion symptoms, so no timetable on his return.
F Stephen Weiss going to see groin specialist later this week. So that's a sound 'out indefinitely' on Weiss.
F Darren Helm doing more on ice daily, but said still feels shoulder pain. Hard to see him back before Christmas.
This might get ugly...
About Abel to Yzerman
Welcome to Abel to Yzerman, a Red Wing blog since 1977. No other site on the internet has better-researched, fact-laden and better prepared discussions than A2Y. Re-phrase: we do little research, find facts and stats highly overrated and claim little to no preparation. There are 19 readers of A2Y. No more, no less. All of them, except maybe one, are juvenile in nature. Reminding them of that in the comment section will only encourage them to prove that. Your suggestions and critiques are welcome: firstname.lastname@example.org