Canucks and Beyond

Yay. Fashion Advice From NHL Draft Picks

I’m not someone who thinks sports figures should hesitate to share their personal opinions. Say what you want, I figure, as long as you’re willing to own it.  But Florida Panthers draft choice Rocco Grimaldi might be stepping a little outside his expertise in telling girls how to dress, no?

Stringing together a few of Grimaldi’s Tweets yesterday, for example:

Ladies, you can help us guys out big time. Put your boobs away and everything else that is hanging out. Guys have a hard enough time with… that temptation without u helping it along. When did being a beautiful girl become dressing with the least amount of clothes on? When did… what u wear become a competition? Before you dress ask, “Does this outfit honor God, does it honor my body, does it help serve/love my… brothers? If it’s a no to any of those questions, then u shouldn’t wear that outfit #ThinkBeforeYouDress

To be fair, he has a few words for how men treat women, too. (i.e. “Guys, when did sleeping with every girl u can make u a man? Anyone can lay with a woman…”)  Umm. Okay.

I’ll admit, it’s sort of fascinating to be privy to players personal opinions, but there’s a TMI quality that inevitably creeps into it, too.  Greg Wyshinski the other day (sorry, I can’t seem to find the direct link, so I’m operating a bit on memory here) referred to the fact the modern era of the NHL now has a “reality tv” aspect to it, given the demand for and pervasiveness of uncensored access.

He’s right, but sometimes I wish I knew a little bit less about our hockey idols and idols-to-be.

Really, there’s a lot of things I’m happy and interested to know about young Mr. Grimaldi… but his opinion on thigh-highs and tube tops really isn’t one of them.

Oh well. C’est la vie.  Maybe the net result of this will shame me into classier clothes.

I’ll do my best, Mr. Grimaldi.

___________________________
*hat-tip to Matthew Hendley at the Palm Beach New Times.
*I also just saw that Wyshinski commented on Grimaldi’s tweets earlier today as well

Filed in: dumb stuff, nhl general, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink

Comments

Hank1974's avatar

This ticks me off! Why are we reporting on tweets, from non-NHL players, that have nothing to do with hockey????

Rocco Grimaldi has a personal twitter account where he decides to tweet about things important to him.
If you don’t like his views, don’t follow him on Twitter.
Greg clearly has an ax to grind and follows through perfectly by ridiculing this man for his beliefs.

Leave the kid alone.
I don’t care if James Neal tweets about his favorite colors. So I don’t care what Ricco tweets about his religious beliefs.

It was an incredibly unprofessional thing to do by Mr.Wyshinski.
Report on hockey, not on players, or prospects, religious, political or personal views.
If I want that crap, I’ll tune into CNN or Fox to get ultra left and right wing points of views.

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/29/11 at 06:45 PM ET

with sarcasm - It’s nice to see an 18 year old kid with a reality-based grasp on the average person’s sexuality and all its intricacies at such a young age.

Posted by NathanBC on 09/29/11 at 06:51 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I agree. But even more reason to not bother with what this kid’s talking about.
He’s 18. What 18 year old knows anything?
Certainly nothing to report on.

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/29/11 at 06:57 PM ET

You seem confused - it wasn’t actually you that reported on this.

If you don’t like his views, don’t follow him on Twitter.
Puck Daddy is Wyshynski’s blog to do with what he wants, and from Paul Kukla I’ve seen him say a bunch of times that he lets his bloggers control their content.
If you don’t like their views or their decisions on content, don’t read it. You have the option of blocking blogs that get you all riled up.

Very true. Also:
Read an interview with him, he understands how his views are seen by some, and he doesn’t have a problem with it. Because of the article, more people will know what his views are - that’s what Grimaldi wants. He didn’t drunkenly fire that off, those are his beliefs and he wants to spread his word.

I don’t think a girl having her boobies showing and a man having sex with multiple woman, and an 18 year old’s opinion on that, is on the same level as basic human rights.

So I don’t care what Ricco tweets about his religious beliefs.”
You don’t - so why are you reading it?

He put himself in the spotlight by going on twitter and posting anything. He’s in the public eye because of his job. Hockey people who are on twitter follow him.

It was an incredibly unprofessional thing to do by Mr.Wyshinski.
Report on hockey, not on players
(haha), or prospects, religious, political or personal views.
Tell that to Puck Daddy himself, I’m sure he cares.

Posted by NathanBC on 09/29/11 at 07:18 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Hank 1974—Thanks for your comments, and to a large extent, I actually do agree with you. But I think it’s also fair to have a response to Grimaldi’s comments as well. After all, he’s the one who chose to share his thoughts and beliefs, and I’m assuming he did so with the intent of influencing people to agree with him. So if he presses his opinion out there in such a way, with the kind of platform that is afforded him given his very public career path, I don’t see how he can expect people not to have their own reaction.  And while many people’s reactions will be in agreement and positive, some people will have a negative or indifferent opinion. And since it was Grimaldi himself who brought his personal feelings into a public venue, I think it’s fair game to critique or support him, however fans might feel.

That being said, and just speaking for myself, I didn’t highlight his tweets in this post to ridicule him in any way. But he carefully chose to say what he said, and since he’s destined to be a high profile member of the hockey family, I gave his tweets consideration.

He is 100% entitled to believe whatever he believes. But—and this is the same for anyone who shares their opinion in a public venue—that also means facing critique.  That doesn’t entitle people to be jerks (and I certainly had no intention of being so), but I do think we’re allowed to react to those opinions, without being considered necessarily vindictive.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 09/29/11 at 07:32 PM ET

awould's avatar

I have no opinion about any of this except that the dude has a great name for a hockey player or a hit man.

Rocco Grimaldi. Sweet.

Posted by awould on 09/29/11 at 08:15 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

He’s a property of an NHL team making misogynist comments - absolutely that’s worth reporting.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 09/29/11 at 08:44 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Thanks for the intelligent reply Alanah.
My problem, however, is how is this news?
How is this related to hockey outside the fact that he was drafted by a pro hockey team?

I think it’s up for debate as to whether Rocco believes he’s in the public eye.
I can agree though, that he’s probably using his limited fame to spread ‘The Word’.

However, I just don’t see why this is made to be such a huge deal.
The guy is ultra religious and made a post about girls dressing less provocatively. I seriously can’t believe what a big stink that’s making.

Paul “BizNasty” tweets pics of his female conquests and nobody bats an eye. I didn’t see Puck Daddy write a scathing article about how he doesn’t like BizNasty’s man-whoring ways and how he throws it in our face.

So in conclusion, if Puck Daddy likes your lifestyle, everything’s cool. But if you tweet a comment about your religious or political views, and they don’t jive with Greg, then look out! The Almighty Puck Daddy shall smite you down!

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/29/11 at 09:37 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

No it’s not. It’s owned by Yahoo Sports. And in that regard it’s a public forum.

“This young man, thanks to Puck Daddy (aka Greg Wyshinski), is going to face some serious scrutiny for his beliefs.”
Very true. Also:
“Sorry if anyone takes offense to what i post but i don’t feel bad about saying it ”

“Nevermind that if he wrote about gays needing rights, or unfair human rights policies in China he would be revered, but since he’s talking about his faith, he’ll get slammed for it.”

But they do. Many people don’t agree with homosexuality, and as weird as it sounds, there are a number of people that agree with communism.

My point is, if someone says “It’s great to be gay!” nobody can say boo. But if someone says “I don’t agree with homosexuality”, they’re slammed and ridiculed.
Both are matters of opinion. Why does one comment receive praise, while the other shouldn’t ever be said? Isn’t this a free country? There was no hate in this kids message. And yet, judging by Puck Daddy’s blog entry (and some of the comments under it) you would have thought he was trying to organize the fourth Reich.

“So I don’t care what Ricco tweets about his religious beliefs.”
You don’t - so why are you reading it?

Because Puck Daddy is an excellent hockey blog where I like to read about hockey. Instead I read an article where Puck Daddy decides to use his public forum to preach his values to everyone.
Kind of like how he’s flamming Rocco for doing the same thing.

“Puck Daddy takes offense to it and yet he’s the one pulling this poor young kid into the spotlight.”

Again, that’s fine if I was going to a website dedicated to liberal beliefs, or people who like girls that dress slutty.
I went to a hockey blog, not FoxNews.
If SIdney Crosby tweeted that he thought Purple was the best color, I wouldn’t want an entire article bashing him for it and then rallying for the colour Red. I simply don’t care. Talk about hockey please.

“It was an incredibly unprofessional thing to do by Mr.Wyshinski.
Report on hockey, not on players (haha), or prospects, religious, political or personal views. ”
Tell that to Puck Daddy himself, I’m sure he cares.

I did, and I’m sure he doesn’t give a crap.
Still, from reading the comments on there, and from him taking an absolute beating on his posting of Dan Ellis’s tweets, I wouldn’t be at all shocked that he apologizes, or at least makes a statement about how he was ‘misunderstood’.

In my view, his article was nothing more than a soapbox to chime off against Christianity.
It’s no different if he was to flame a player for tweeting about their support for Obama while Greg W. is a staunch Republican.

Stick to hockey, not personal opinions about a players religious beliefs.

Besides, Greg is smarter than that. This is a dumb 18-year-old kid that barely understands the world.
Don’t pull another Dan Ellis and drag this kid into hot water for saying stuff that he’ll probably regret 10 years from now.

I remember when Barry Sanders spoke out in favour of abstinence and then proceeded to knock-up a woman out of wedlock.
He was the greatest football player in the world at the time, and he received a 10th of the scrutiny that this 18-year-old highschool hockey player has. And over what? To ask girls to dress conservatively and guys to stop being dogs?
Who the heck cares?

I know we’ll agree to disagree, but I’m so sick and tired of getting bombarded with political commentary on every website. I use sports to get away from that crap.
So when I go to my 2nd favorite hockey blog website, I don’t want to read an article that stirs a debate on something as deep and sensitive as religion. I just want to read about hockey.

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/29/11 at 09:56 PM ET

Closing italics tag.

Please, Grimaldi isn’t a martyr. He opened a public forum to express his thoughts and then blanketly addressed them at two groups that constitute everybody on earth. To do so invites scrutiny. You can’t complain that he won’t like the response that invitation brings.

As a bluechip hockey prospect, he is a public figure from the perspective of sports journalists.

If Grimaldi wants to promote Christian values to the public through his twitter account, that can easily be done without pissing people off,

Example http://twitter.com/#!/rupper17

Posted by steviesteve on 09/29/11 at 10:41 PM ET

This just in:  Twitter is super-lame.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt on 09/30/11 at 03:11 AM ET

Just like with so many other topics/issues, it feels totally absurd to see someone 18 years old spouting off with such confidence about religion and all these things that go along with it.  And it’s one thing to do this in your dorm room or in a philosophy class (or in the break room at your job), but another thing to do it on a public forum.

But we’re also in an era in which people are becoming more and more infatuated with themselves and their own opinions.  This is the Facebook generation—and I’m not just referring to 18 year olds—in which people communicate by trumpeting announcements about themselves, be it accomplishments or trivial matters, in a way that is effectively very self-aggrandizing and totally egotistical.

Grimaldi obviously is very confident in his beliefs, but what worldly knowledge does he have to stand on?  Probably less than your average 18 year old, in fact, because he’s been immersed in the world of hockey through his formative years.  He doesn’t get how yes, he does now represent a professional organization and his comments likely have upset many people.

But why would he get that?  He’s part of this Facebook generation.  And little does he realize, but the egotism that comes with that (and which he’s clearly demonstrated here) isn’t exactly something that would go over so well with J.C. himself.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 09/30/11 at 04:13 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Closing italics tag.

Example http://twitter.com/#!/rupper17

Where in Rupp’s twitter account is there anything about Christianity?
The part where he says “Thoughts and prayers to the Rypien family?”
Thoughts and Prayers is probably the most overused slogan and is used by non-christian’s alike.
Or was it his post about a sick catch in the pool during the HR derby?

The fact is, nobody in this country can say anything about their Christianity without being ripped to shreds for it.
If he had said “I like girls with nice boobs” he would have been given high fives.
Instead he tweets a request for girls to cover themselves up and guys to take ownership of their libido’s. Hardly anything worth to report on (which is my point about this whole fiasco).

Next thing you know. Greg drops the hammer and this kid’s nailed to the cross.

I can’t wait to tune into Puck Daddy tomorrow and read about how Dwayne Roloson demands people get their dogs spade or neutered.
Then maybe we can read about Cory Perry’s tweets about how the US is too dependant on foreign oil.
WHO GIVES A CRAP? Can we talk about hockey now, instead of some kid’s views on young woman’s choice in attire?

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/30/11 at 09:56 AM ET

Where in Rupp’s twitter account is there anything about Christianity?

Rupp’s twitter feed is an endless set of links to various charity and awareness groups directing people how and where to get involved to help other peoples’ suffering. He didn’t decide to make it that way because he’s a cat person. Him and his wife are involved in this stuff because the values of their faith demand that they be.

Grimaldi: Hey idiots. Herez what you do wrong and you shud do what i say cuz im totally smart and know what im talking about.

Rupp: Drunk driving victims are suffering. Here’s what you can do to help out.

Understand the distinction?

Carcillo was suspended for making some crass comment about a girl on his twitter feed last year.

Grimaldi’s comments are not news because he’s Christian. He’s made about a billion Christian comments before now without anyone objecting. His comments are news because he addressed them at EVERYBODY ON EARTH and told them they were doing or thinking something wrong, then proceeded to give them all the answers, which he would obviously know as someone who’s barely an adult. He’s got Danellisproblems, not unfair persecution problems.

More than that, the sheer arrogance involved in an 18 year old stepping onto the dais and loudly dictating to strangers about how they live their lives is astounding. The Christian bible has very negative things to say about people who pull stunts like this. Perhaps Grimaldi should try reading it instead of hitting strangers over the head with what he thinks it says.

Posted by steviesteve on 09/30/11 at 04:45 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I have several hard-core athiest friends that do a boundless amount of charity work.
If you didn’t know better, you would have thought these guys lived in a church.
So charity doesn’t always equate to Christianity.

Finally, who cares if this kid is spouting off about how YOU or anyone else should live?
It’s in his personal twitter account and you wouldn’t have had a clue he was saying that unless Greg dragged him into the limelight.

I don’t Follow twitter accounts that I don’t agree with.
I don’t follow this kids twitter account either.
What I do follow is Puck Daddy and I don’t need my morning cup of hockey served with a side order of social commentary by Greg.
I go there to read about hockey, not to hear him go off on some dumb-ass 18 year old and his beliefs on how woman should dress.

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/30/11 at 04:54 PM ET

this sucks.  hockey talk?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt on 10/03/11 at 09:13 PM ET