Canucks and Beyond

iPhone Adventures in Hockey

So, I’m distressed to say that I missed the Canucks second game of the season, against Columbus on Monday.

Not because I was busy with work (it was Canadian Thanksgiving); not because my kid was screaming for attention (she was buried in family affection all weekend and really didn’t want anything to do with any of us after a certain point); not because I was cooking some big feast (after three straight days of Thanksgiving dinners, I may never look at food again, much less turkey); and not because I was too drunk to program the PVR (like I said, Thanksgiving, family, screaming kids, etc).

None of these things.

No, the reason I missed Monday’s game against Columbus is because I downloaded the Canucks iPhone app.

To be fair, it’s not a bad app. Schedules, news, video, player bios, etc. All in one nice little package. Handy, you know? The way a decent smartphone app should be.

But there was one wee issue with the whole thing.

The problem with this fine little application was its gutsy choice not to devote itself to any particular time zone… but to ALL of them. And then not tell us which time zone is being cited for any particular game on the schedule.

Clever, huh? A revolutionary concept—create a time-shift and hope your viewers can guess when the game starts. A radical and exciting approach, and one which ensured I entirely missed game 2.

Living on the west coast, we’re used to seeing our TV and game schedules noted in various time zones, and inconsistently at that.  So we always check and double-check.  But you know when we don’t do the double-check? When we download a Vancouver Canucks official app, and after we verify that the first game on the schedule was noted in Pacific Time.

At that point you’d take it on faith the calendar was constructed on PT, right? And this would make sense given the primary audience for the app watches the game from the PT zone. But I shouldn’t have trusted this.

The Canucks iPhone app informed us that Monday’s Columbus game was scheduled at 7pm. I assumed PT, but it turned out they were using the Eastern Time Zone… without actually saying it was ET.  (That’s the fun part: we were supposed to guess.)

Sadly, I guessed wrong and turned on the TV just in time to listen to a recap of some “game-changing penalty shot save” by our backup goalie, about 45 minutes earlier. Bloody hell.

Back to the app, I see the coming games are largely reported in ET, although there’s a tricky twist later in the month that’s meant to ensure I’m ready to watch one particular match-up about 3 hours before it actually starts. (So that’s an improvement, anyway.  I’ll be seriously

bombed

ready by the time puck drops.)

The Canucks Letters to the Editor page dealt with the issue today by stating that after receiving some “nice” emails (yeah, I’m sure they were very sweet, very understanding) about the botch-up with the schedule, they recommend everyone just delete the thing from their phones and download it fresh.  Good advice, and I’ll get to that.

Meanwhile, tonight’s game is now being set for recording from about 4:30 pm PT to 10:30 pm ET.  That works, right?  Mix-and-match time zones are the hot new thing sports scheduling, I hear.  It’ll certainly keep me on my toes in future.

Gotta love technology: awesome! useful! practical! fun! Until it isn’t. smile

Go Canucks!

P.S. I also have the official NHL Game Center app.  Does anyone else have problems with it freezing up, dragging, basically acting completely bonkers within various screens?  I fear I have more hockey-app-deleting in my future…

Filed in: hockey media, vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink
  Tags: canucks, iphone, nhl

Comments

Chris from NOHS's avatar

The NHL spends very little time on their apps.  The NHL app still hasn’t updated for 2011.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 10/12/11 at 07:32 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 10/12/11 at 05:32 PM ET

Good grief, seriously?  I’d been so focused on the fact that the screens kept freezing up and not loading, I hadn’t actually been able to see that the content is still that far out of date.  That’s embarrassing.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 10/12/11 at 07:45 PM ET

Love it smile

Posted by Air maniac from Serbia on 10/12/11 at 07:54 PM ET

Instead of updating the old app they created a new app called “NHL Gamecenter 2011-2012”.

I found it randomly a few days ago looking for the app the Canucks had last year where you can watch the Sportsnet games on your phone for $9.99.  I’m housesitting for a couple of months and have a beautiful 50”  HD TV to watch hockey on and NO SPORTS CHANNELS! I’ll be streaming the game tonight if I can find a good link.

Posted by Diane from British Columbia on 10/12/11 at 08:20 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Posted by Diane from British Columbia on 10/12/11 at 06:20 PM ET

Wow, that’s crazy.  And you know what’s even dumber? I only downloaded this NHL one a few days ago… and it was the top option that came up when I searched for NHL apps. I didn’t even see a 2011-12 one.  I wonder how many other people did the same thing?

Thanks for mentioning the Sportsnet deal. I hadn’t heard of that.  Not as good as adding Sportsnet to that 50” tv set, but at least it’s something. smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 10/12/11 at 08:32 PM ET

awould's avatar

The NHL Gamecenter 2011-2012 is great. The best feature is it allows you to choose whether it shows scores or not. For me, with fantasy hockey, I love checking up on some games but hate risking it to see the scores of a game I intend to watch on DVR. Anyways, I like the app.

Posted by awould on 10/12/11 at 08:44 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Thanks, awould. I deleted the one I downloaded the other day and then downloaded the 2011-12 one you all suggested. Works just fine. Thanks for the save!

On the other hand, I’m not so sure the new Canucks version solved my schedule problem. Though the game times seem accurate as far as I can check, I’ll probably still distrust that page for the whole season now. Once burned… wink

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 10/12/11 at 10:53 PM ET

hiero4life's avatar

I got gamecenter this year over center ice.  Watching the game on the iPad when I’m not at home and now it’s on Apple tv too.  No more direct tv after my agreement.

Posted by hiero4life on 10/13/11 at 01:12 AM ET