Abel to Yzerman

You’re The GM, Will You Re-sign Darren Helm?

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

Blashill appreciates the variables in Helm's game that make the Wings a harder team to play against.

"He competes extremely hard, he's very quick on the puck, and he wins puck battles for us, and the game kind of comes down to that," Blashill said. "He's really good at going to the net.

"Over the course of the last two years, he's played real good hockey for us. Being in the lineup on a regular basis, he helps us."...

Helm, 34, is in his 14th season with the Wings. He's one of the last connections to Stanley Cups, long playoff runs, and winning seasons.

The rebuilding has been difficult, but Helm has seen a good trend develop over the last couple of weeks as the lineup has filled out after a brief COVID-19 protocol outbreak.

"I do feel over the last four or five games, whether the results have been good or bad, the guys are competing harder and working hard, and if we dig in a little harder, good things can happen," Helm said. "We're leaning in the right direction."

It'll be interesting to watch at the April 12 trade deadline, and beyond, what happens in regard to Helm, who is an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Will the Wings re-sign the veteran as the rebuild continues, or trade Helm for valuable draft picks?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

d ca's avatar

Posted by d ca on 02/22/21 at 11:47 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Nope. Always injured. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 02/22/21 at 11:52 PM ET

d ca's avatar

image deleted

Posted by d ca on 02/22/21 at 11:53 PM ET

Paul's avatar

FYI, trade deadline is scheduled for April 12th.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/23/21 at 12:18 AM ET

“valuable draft pick”(?)

I don’t mind Helm at all.
A team needs a player or two like this.
He’s been a good Red Wing and played well above his size.
I have fond memories of him at his peak causing havoc forechecking
and killing penalties. He has played pretty well from the samples I’ve seen.

He’s 34, often injured, and not part of the future.
If the Wings need him for leadership they’re in worse shape than I thought.
Trade both Helm and Glendening? Barring a big return I can sure see why not.
Trade Helm? Absolutely. Retain salary and hope he gets to go on a long playoff run.
Anything between a 3-5th pick and or a prospect we like and this is a remarkably easy decision.

Posted by lefty.30 on 02/23/21 at 12:30 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 02/23/21 at 12:36 AM ET

I’ve always thought he’d like to end his career in Winnipeg where he’s from. Either way I hope he ends up on a contender, I could see him in a Dallas Drake or Brent Gilchrist type roll. Just solid veteren depth. I’ve always thought of these types of comments from coaches as selling points. Blash is selling Helm in the media, not just for the wings, but everyone else as well.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 02/23/21 at 01:09 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

“Over the course of the last two years, he’s played real good hockey for us. Being in the lineup on a regular basis, he helps us.”...

Well, he’s “helped” to the tune of 33 points in 129 games over the past two years while making a total of $7.7M. Brome can fill his shoes defensively with a much higher upside offensively.

I like Helm, but his time has come and gone. Give him a gold watch or something and send him on his way whether it’s at the trade deadline or at the end of the season.

On the other hand, I’d like to see Glendenning back next year. Trade him at the deadline for whatever the Wings can get and then resign him this summer. His faceoff skills alone make him both valuable trade bait and a guy the Wings can use during the rebuild.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/23/21 at 01:30 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

that tells you how much this coach knows the game..

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 02/23/21 at 02:25 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

NO   and I was a fan of his in WHL.

Is this writer Holland incognito?

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/23/21 at 03:38 AM ET

Lucce's avatar

Based on the four games i watched this year yes. Based on corsinumbers still yes. But it comes down to what player and coach relation. If he wants to retire as a one club player yes, but if he is just a little bit reluctant no. Trade him for a third round pick - yes.

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 02/23/21 at 07:06 AM ET

No. Just no.

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/23/21 at 07:52 AM ET

Primis's avatar

That’s a hard “No”.

When he’s healthy Helm is in fact ok.  But he’s not going to help this team anymore, especially given his complete lack of finishing still.  If he ever did a Draper and developed ability to finish, we’d all feel very differently about him.

that tells you how much this coach knows the game..

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 02/23/21 at 01:25 AM ET

This is the sort of thing a coach has to say for a player to have confidence.  What’s he supposed to do, come out publicly and say “Yeah, I can’t wait until next year when we don’t re-sign Helm, what a waste of roster space and cap space he is on this worthless team”...?  I mean, c’mon.  It’s very likely he was directly asked about Helm on the record.  What do you people expect?

He’s the coach though, not the GM.

Posted by Primis on 02/23/21 at 10:14 AM ET

I’ve always liked Helm, opposing players need to respect speed. Thought he does well on PK. Over the years I thought he’s been missed but that’s probably more a factor because of his injuries. Would I resign him, NO, it’s been time to play the kids. So far this is looking like a 50 year rebuild like the Lions.

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/23/21 at 10:14 AM ET

...misused…

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/23/21 at 10:16 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Nope, but I would sure as heck thank him for being a good sport and hard worker.  I don’t think his work ethic has ever been questioned).

I really don’t see a player like Helm fetching a return at the deadline, especially with the taxi squad this year.  We’ll see, there’s lots of roster moves to be made, but this might end up being a year with a low amount of deadline trades.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/23/21 at 10:31 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

No. Next question?

This Red Wing rebuild is joke that nobody gets…..

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, sing along The YzerMan Can!...... on 02/23/21 at 11:06 AM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 02/23/21 at 09:31 AM ET

This is kind of what i’m leaning towards as well. Between the expanded taxi squads and the mandatory quarantine time going to/from US and Canada I would expect trades to happen sooner rather than later in last minute deals. Really questioning if anyone is going to take a flier on steve’s magic beans or if we’ll move a guy or two for 5th/6th rounders and be left to let contracts expire after the season

Posted by MZ2215 on 02/23/21 at 11:31 AM ET

Nope.  Hands of stone Helm has always been overrated and injured.

Posted by wonderwings on 02/23/21 at 11:32 AM ET

No. He should have never been signed to the current contract he is playing out.

While I don’t doubt his determination and he has some skills that are desirable, those aren’t worth a hell of a lot to the Wings at this point. He’s pretty much blocking a younger player from learning the skills to replace him.

If he can return anything at the trade deadline, that’s a bonus. Let him have a chance to compete in the playoffs again. Holland would probably be interested.

I do like what Glendening brings to the Wings too but this has to be about the future. With his faceoff percentage, quality defense and cheap contract, he should be in high demand. The Wings have to take advantage of that. If they lose him in the offseason, so be it. It would be a disappointment but Rasmussen can fill his role.

Posted by evileye on 02/23/21 at 11:36 AM ET

I love Darren Helm. One of my all-time favourite players. No way in hell I re-sign him.

If he wants to retire a Red Wing I’m cool with not trading him, but if he still wants to play past this year then he’s got to do it on another team,

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 02/23/21 at 11:46 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

There’s value on a contender for a PK specialist that knows his role and doesn’t cause trouble in the locker room.  If the Wings can realize this value at the deadline in a few weeks, then I’d be happy.  I like Helm, but I don’t think his role is really valued (or necessary) on Team 30.  I’ll miss him when he’s gone, but I don’t anticipate him being around when this team turns the corner.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 02/23/21 at 12:24 PM ET

This is the sort of thing a coach has to say for a player to have confidence.

Not only that, but also to help his trade value. Still I am with the majority that Helm will not fetch anything more than a very late pick.
I would personally keep one of Glen or Helm (not both) as leadership still important, on and off the ice. Especially Glen I’ve heard is a great example to young players on how to train, how to prepare yourself for the games. Glen will probably get us a higher pick than Helm though, but probably not higher than 4th rounder, so it really does not matter.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/23/21 at 01:00 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Do we need another no vote on this one or are we good? smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/23/21 at 01:12 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Trade Glenn and Helm. There defensive play isn’t that much better than other players and they both lack hands to contribute offense on a cup team. Find younger players to fill those spots. Take the draft picks.

Both of them don’t check as much as they used to either. I want aggressive players that check and are pests on the 4th line.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 02/23/21 at 01:43 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 02/23/21 at 12:00 PM ET

Agreed, well said.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 02/23/21 at 05:10 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I understand the leadership suggestion but it is also possible that there are too many voices in the locker room and Larkin can’t make it his team as captain yet. Maybe that is part of Larkins problem this season.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 02/23/21 at 08:15 PM ET