Abel to Yzerman

You Have To Do It Every Game Andreas

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Asked if his compete level has been where it should be, Athanasiou said, "I think I can compete at a high level. I think I can compete in playoffs. I kind of showed that the last time we were in the playoffs (2016) when I got in that Tampa series. I think competing at a high level is very important. There's a lot of times where the stage is big here and you have to compete on that level, and I think I do a really good job of competing on the big stage and at the highest level."

Not consistently enough to suit the team.

read on

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

There’s a lot of times where the stage is big here and you have to compete on that level, and I think I do a really good job of competing on the big stage and at the highest level.”

Really, dude? Unless he had the puck on his stick flying around open ice Athanasiou looked completely invisible most nights. I also thought that he when he did have the puck he tried to create entirely too much on his own, often resulting in a weak shot or turnover. I love his speed and finishing ability but yeah…he needs to compete on a much higher level much more consistently.

Posted by godblender on 04/11/18 at 03:28 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by godblender on 04/11/18 at 04:28 PM ET

Yeah his game is really… shallow I guess.  And it’s troubling that he doesn’t seem to realize it.

It’s not even about being consistent night to night.  You need to be out there on the ice not looking lost, Andreas.  He’s not nearly young and inexperienced enough to look as lost as he does at times.

Posted by Primis on 04/11/18 at 03:52 PM ET

He needs to be moved for a top-four defenseman or a prospect that will turn into a top-four defenseman. Honestly Carolina Seems like an obvious trade partner he was even floated by several media Outlets that they couldn’t understand why Carolina hadn’t offered someone like Justin Faulk for him. Not saying we would take that trade but they do have a glut of defenseman and no offense

Posted by Iamhaljordan on 04/11/18 at 03:57 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Honestly Carolina Seems like an obvious trade partner

Maybe they are waiting to pick him off of waivers like they did with Frk and Nestrasil. smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/11/18 at 04:02 PM ET

Colin's avatar

Can anyone here tell me how they expect us to land a top-4 defenseman who is young and affordable enough for this team for a player you’re all bashing for being incomplete? You would have to give up way too much along with him to land Justin Faulk, who is himself quite inconsistent, not great defensively, and not getting any younger or cheaper.

I’m not happy with Athanasiou either, who I believe did show some good improvement with the puck on his stick but is still useless off the puck, but he is still relatively cost-controlled. Your best bet to maximize his value is re-sign him and give him that one more year to get it off the puck.

If he gets an arb contract, trade him at the deadline. You won’t get a top-4 dman now or ever, but you just might get a pick that could become one at the deadline.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 04/12/18 at 08:09 AM ET

“...did show some good improvement with the puck on his stick but is still useless off the puck…”

AA needs to have a heart-to-heart talk with Larkin about committing to getting better in the NHL. If he doesn’t please, someone, buy him a ticket to St. Petersburg or make him a sweetener for a deal for a top 4 dman.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 04/13/18 at 01:19 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 04/13/18 at 02:19 AM ET

You won’t like what you’ll have to give up with Athanasiou for a top-4 defender that isn’t overpaid and old.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 04/13/18 at 08:32 AM ET