Abel to Yzerman

Wings Will Look Internally First To Replace Todd Nelson In Grand Rapids

from Peter J. Wallner of Mlive,

Ryan Martin, the Detroit Red Wings assistant general manager, would like to have a new coach in place for the Grand Rapids Griffins by July 1, but he's also preparing for a different interview process this time around.

Todd Nelson, who announced Thursday he will become an assistant coach with the Dallas Stars, was hired by the Griffins in 2015 after serving as interim NHL coach with the Winnipeg Jets.

Martin, who in his current role as director of the Griffins has overseen the past two hirings, will follow the same process initially but thinks it could end up differently.

"We will certainly look first inside the organization," he said Thursday. "This is my 14th year with Detroit and I don't know if we've ever been in a position to promote someone from within - Jeff Blashill was, obviously, a different type of hire. Whenever we've had an opening at this level it's most immediately that we go outside the organization first."

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

They’ve got a pretty good AHL coach currently coaching their NHL team.

Maybe they should look there first.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/01/18 at 10:37 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

If he was such an “important organizational coach”, why didnt they promote him to an NHL assistant position instead of allowing him to be poached?

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 06/01/18 at 11:18 AM ET

I read on another site (unconfirmed) that they offered him an assistant job and he turned them down.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/01/18 at 11:45 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Jeff Blashill was, obviously, a different type of hire.

Well that is certainly true!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/01/18 at 01:47 PM ET

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/01/18 at 11:45 AM ET

That would certainly mesh with the quote I saw about his being 49 knowing he had a limited window for head coaching opportunities.

Posted by EthrDemon on 06/01/18 at 02:05 PM ET

Oilers, not the Jets.

Posted by Back Hand Luke from The Land of Unhealthy Scratching on 06/01/18 at 02:13 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

How about Dan Cleary?? Since he will NEVER leave or be asked to leave the Wings org, just make him the GR coach.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/01/18 at 02:28 PM ET

Chet's avatar

wow. be careful what you wish for.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/01/18 at 06:46 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m guessing Dan Watson in Toledo is maybe still too “new” to consider promoting.

Griffins assistants are Ben Simon, Mike Knuble, and Bruce Ramsay.  I don’t know if Simon and Knuble have enough experience (both are not that removed from playing IIRC)  Ramsay has quite a bit of “AA” head coaching experience on his resume and is a former Griffins player.

Beyond that…. who knows?  There are other ECHL-level head coaches, a handful of possibly-interesting names there, but you never know at this level, where they might look.

Posted by EthrDemon on 06/01/18 at 02:05 PM ET

That makes no sense at all.  Dallas JUST hired a new head coach, so how is hiring on as an assistant there putting him in a better position for a head gig of his own?  New guy is basically guaranteed 2 or 3 years at least.

Posted by Primis on 06/01/18 at 06:59 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 06/01/18 at 06:59 PM ET

Ha, I spaced and thought he was getting the head coach job in Dallas.

I found the exact quote if anyone is interested:

“But, yeah, short of winning another Calder Cup, what is there more than I can do here? Unless I wanted to stay here for, like, the rest of my life.  I have to move on. There is a short window and right now I’m in it. I’m 49-years-old and I’m using this as a platform and hopefully I have success with Dallas.”

I supposed if I had to take a guess, he might have been afraid of other teams staying away because he seemed like Detroit’s “property.”

Posted by EthrDemon on 06/01/18 at 11:11 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Well at the rate Dallas is going through head coaches, Nelson may very well get a head coaching gig soon wink

Posted by TreKronor on 06/02/18 at 07:33 AM ET

IF he was interested, would it be time to consider Chelios as an option?

Posted by evileye on 06/04/18 at 10:38 AM ET

Because on a new team with a new head coach he would likely be given more freedom implement some of his own ideas rather than being the latest in a line of guys trying to fit in with what a failing, flailing NHL coach is trying to do to keep his job.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/05/18 at 01:10 PM ET