Abel to Yzerman

Wings Should Have One More Cup

from Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press,

Retired Detroit Red Wings forward Darren McCarty said Friday there was a strong current of disrespect from former Wings coach Mike Babcock that spared almost no one and cost the team the Stanley Cup in 2009.

McCarty played for coaches Scotty Bowman and Dave Lewis from 1993 to 2004. He returned for the 2008-09 and ’08-’09 seasons, when Babcock was the coach. The Wings beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Cup finals in ’08 and lost to the Pens in the finals the next season.

“And our (dressing) room worked in different ways and when I came back you could tell that things were different,” McCarty told the Free Press, “but the thing that didn’t change was that guys played for each other.

“That’s the key. In spite of him, right? In spite of him. And I learned that more getting into ’09 because we won in ’08 in spite of him and lost in ’09 because of him. That’s exactly the thing because he misused (Pavel) Datsyuk, (Henrik) Zetterberg and just because he’s stubborn and that was his way.”

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

“McCarty said he grew up playing for tough coaches who yelled at him and criticized him. But he said Babcock’s manner of berating players and questioning personal aspects like their lifestyle crossed a line.”

“When you read the (Franzen) article,” McCarty said, “and Swedes are the most nonthreatening and nicest people, and he says he’s the worst person he ever met, and you know what? He’s up there on my list, too, as far as most egotistical person but not a nice person in a lot of ways at the end of the day. And that’s from somebody who got along with him.”

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/07/19 at 10:51 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Mark Whicker of the LA Daily News has an in-depth article on Babcock.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/19 at 10:55 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Can you imagine having won that 2 d one any putting little Cindy down again? Fuggin’ PRICELESS.

In any case, McCarty doesnt state how Pavs a d Z were misused. And because I was flipping burgers during game 7 and it was 10 years ago, what the heck is he referring to?

Honestly at that point, you put up with it for so long already, its about winning. I think it has more to do with two team playing hockey, the most unpredictable sport in all sports.

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/07/19 at 11:41 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Mike Modano, another Hall of Famer, had to settle for 1,499 career games because Babcock scratched him for the final three of the season.

Leave No Doubt: A Credo….... Babcock is a jerk…

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/07/19 at 01:58 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Not defending Babcock, but many coaches were/are “jerks”. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 12/07/19 at 02:58 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I believe both Franzen and the Toronto stories.

On the other hand, having a hard time taking full stock in the righteous words of Chris Chelios calling someone mean, this is a guy who publicly threatened Bettman’s family, not bettman, his family, had a history of some dirty play, partying around town, and was on this team for a long time near the end of his career as an extra and his ego couldn’t handle it. Chelios, like his nose, got a little long in his recollection, and his timeline has been debunked.

As for McCarty? Love what he gave to the team in the jersey, the fight and the goal, but outside of that, that human being has no room to talk about anyone else’s character, actions, or otherwise.  I wouldn’t leave a tip on the table with McCarty in the same room, let alone believe a word out of his mouth.  Anything to get him in the limelight again to squeeze some money out of hockeytown suckers in this town, put your tip cup down Darren, we know your not going to buy a sandwich bro.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 12/07/19 at 02:59 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I will admit I was a Babcock fan outside of hockey, living in Saskatoon and talking to him at his cabin at Emma Lake SK with my son.
Now I hope I see him again, he will get an earful.  So why didn’t somebody (Wings) do something about it?  I am sure they all new above the coach.  I can’t see him ever coaching again, even in a Beer league.

Wonder what his family think?  Some wording in Coach’s contracts and they will be fired with Zero severance.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 12/07/19 at 05:55 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Wow, you sure are something. You should try looking in the mirror and stare deeply into your eyes (which I doubt you can do for.than a few seconds) and I bet you see Babcock’s image. And not the good aspects.

Most people know Darren has had his share of ups and downs but he has done a pretty good job of overcoming and giving back to the community. Most people are too selfish to do either. And so what if profits off his hockey town image, he certainly earned it! Maybe there is some jealousy in what you wrote.

I meet Darren and Marty Lapointe while bouncing in a bar in the Warehouse District when they were first called up from Adirondack Red Wings. They both stuck by me the whole night talking Hockey and asking about good places to eat and hangout downtown (I believe both were under age at the time). I have spoke him a few times since and he is really down to earth and a sincere person. For someone to write what Murray wrote is despicable and should go see the same anger management psychology as BadCock.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/07/19 at 06:16 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

* psychologist!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/07/19 at 06:18 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 12/07/19 at 01:59 PM ET

And this comes.from a guy that wrote me in a Private Message not to say the things I said about Holland on this forum because he may read it and it may hurt him and his family! I guess Darren and his family does not matter!

I tried to keep it copacetic between you and I but you sure do not make it easy. But I still will wish you good well and will remain compassionate to your issues.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/07/19 at 06:38 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Although I’m sure there’s a lot in this, Chelios has always had an ax to grind with Babcock, among others he finds reason to dislike.  His recollection with intent to damage Babcock was in error by “five or six years”.  Close enough when your intent is to defame someone.

But I recall another incident of Babcock choosing to scratch Drew Miller when he had a chance to play against his brother with his parents and family in attendance, on the road it was, I guess Buffalo.  It wasn’t unusual, Drew Miller and Pat Eaves frequently alternated as scratches, but I felt it was personal (with no personal knowledge, just a feeling) in that instance to show Miller who was boss.

I was also disappointed that Blashill chose that night in Vancouver to scratch Chilowski for the first time last season when his close and extended family were in attendance to see him play in the NHL in person.  I’m sure Blash had his reasons, coaches always can cite aspects of play to justify it, but c’mon, pick THAT night in a season the Wings were just that close to a Cup run.

Posted by RWBill on 12/07/19 at 06:59 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/07/19 at 05:38 PM ET

I look in the mirror and all is well, I have no issues whatsoever on how I live and lived my life.  Sure as a younger manI have been a jerk or a Richard a time to time 2 , all humans are, but I never screwed anyone over intentionally, hurt people intentionally or maliciously, its a rule my dad installed in me as a young boy and I have lived by my whole life to success, Don’t be a Richard. Don’t ever let someone say that Murray guy, he’s a Richard.  That and treat people you don’t know like your parents. Now you would argue that, but this is a nameless faceless internet forum, which I take differently than real life, you can fault that if you want have at it.

As far as DMac, I’m glad you had positive experiences with him and LaPointe (who is a good guy), people I know and care about did not, some a while back, another recently.  Glad the guy got out a really dark bad place to get to a…  I’ll stop there on your account, as I will agree with you,  I should not have been so brutal in my take, but I was,  so be it, I don’t mind as I personally felt it was warranted based on what I know.

Funny the rope you’ll give a guy like Dmac. vs. a coach you call BadCock.  If we’re telling stories I know of several of Babcock giving a lot more of his time and monies to young men and this local hockey community, and that’s just cursory, I’m sure there’s a lot more. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a Richard in close quarters, seems like he was.

As far as your comment above though, that’s utter BULLBLEEP.  I never made an effort to PM someone about their posts, don’t care that much to do so. I’ve had a few jack-a-loonies PM me from time to time, unsure what I said back, but all concluded with a go pound sand message, this is a nameless faceless forum, I could care less what you or you moniker thinks about me.    If you were one of those loonies trying to criticize me, I might’ve I said your talking about a real human in Holland or whomever, I could see myself saying that, but I never reached out to you to stop that’s BS its a lie, and you know it. Frankly, I could care less about what you and other nameless faceless monikers say other than the debate on the board.

I’ll return to living my life now…

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 12/09/19 at 12:15 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

No it’s not BS about the PM.and you KNOW IT!  Either you have a bad memory OR…...

Glad to show you the errors of your way.

Have a nice day!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/09/19 at 12:53 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/09/19 at 11:53 AM ET

You are either thinking of someone else, or you PM’ed me looking to stir the pot up, and I responded.

I swear on my kids I have never reached out to anyone on this site via PM to complain about their posts or whatnot.  I just don’t care enough.

The only person I initiated a PM with was George Malik, and that was obviously a long time ago, and that was asking for a good feed before it was common knowledge, and other were complimentary in the coverage he was doing and ways he might want to market himself better.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 12/09/19 at 04:42 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Well I swear on my whole family.

Listen, you did and I don’t care if need or want to lie about it. Maybe check your pm.folders. I would show you if I still had it. I have Zero reason to mention something like this. Sorry your memory does not serve you well.

You knew your post would Garner a reaction and it did. Be happy with that. You got what you wanted. I obliged.

BTW, I think you need to do more research on who gave what to Charity.

I am moving on.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/09/19 at 05:33 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Okay, the private message talk is done.  I respect both of you but no one but yourselves wants to read about this.

Use PM again or just drop it.

Thanks.