Abel to Yzerman

Will The Wings Find A Way To Turn Their Recent Funk Around?

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The challenge for the Detroit Red Wings is to restore confidence and show they are headed in the right direction.

They head to Montreal after being routed for the second time in two weeks, tarnished by a stretch of poor play that can’t be pinned entirely on a lack of personnel.  As it turned out, the Wings did a better job taking on the best team in the NHL in Tampa Bay Saturday than they did Sunday when they were shelled by the Florida Panthers. The 6-1 final at BB&T Center was as ugly as the score, as the Wings lacked emotion and execution. They are headed for a third straight draft lottery, but it’s vital to their future success they don’t get there by being blown out.

“We’re already out of it, so there’s no time to pout and sit around and feel bad,” veteran Thomas Vanek said. “There’s a lot of guys here who still have a lot to play for, not just for this year but for the rest of their career, and they better realize it quickly because there are a lot of good players coming up.”

The Wings fell to 1-6-1 since Feb. 22, a stretch that’s seen them trade top-four defenseman Nick Jensen and top-line winger Gustav Nyquist. Top offensive defenseman Mike Green (virus) was out for the season March 5. The team’s best player, Dylan Larkin, missed the weekend games because of a strained neck. He’s to see a specialist Monday in New York, and if he’s cleared to play, he’ll join the Wings in Montreal.

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

The Meal's avatar

The game after the deadline, the team came out as flat as any of us have seen them this season.  To me it looked like there was a players-only locker room meeting that went along the lines of “They got rid of Jensen and they got rid of Gus.  Let’s show them how that makes us feel.”  8-1.  (It was weird that it happened right after Blash had given his positive comments about what he had been seeing with the team.)

Since that day, every game looks like they had that same players-only meeting before coming out on the ice.

I don’t expect it to look any different between now and the 2019 Amateur Draft.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 03/11/19 at 02:13 PM ET

I don’t expect it to look any different between now and the 2019 Amateur Draft.

Posted by

The Meal

from Firestone, CO on 03/11/19 at 02:13 PM ET

Don’t forget. This was also the day in which Holland mentioned Blashill getting a contract extension. I really feel the players are tired of him. Especially those who have enjoyed/suffered 4 years of “The Process”. Imagine having an awful boss and knowing that he was probably leaving in a few months. Then you learn he’s coming back for a couple more years. Ughh! The emotion has been zero since that day.

Posted by rogerrab on 03/11/19 at 02:25 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

lack of personnel.

Make that a lack of good personnel including Coach/GM and their best player is on the injury list, etc etc

I doubt the prospects are losing a lot of confidence, they know what a good D looks like, no top 6 on this team, worn out goalies but a more permanent problem has to be the Coach/GM.  Holland is not going to get a lot of chances to get close to home without a Wheel Chair.  The Bald one will talk himself out of a job sooner than later.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/11/19 at 03:02 PM ET

I don’t get that “feeling” from the players. maybe some quotes would help me understand your point of view.

Do you realize they guys who probably hold the most weight in a players only meeting are going to be the older players? The young guys would be stupid to follow the advice of playing badly on purpose for 1/4 of a season. I’d be like, “WTF?!?!?!! I’m an RFA after next season (Mantha, AA, Bert). You want me to coast because the team has no shot…...I’ve got a payday to think about, not you hasbeens who have a (perceived) grudge against the coach.” Giving a GM ammunition to keep your pay low is just stupid. Other teams are going to coast against Detroit from now on. It’s time for Mantha to get a few extra goals to pad his stats…..not coast.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/11/19 at 06:18 PM ET

I don’t think the veterans are telling kids to mail it in. Maybe others said that. I didn’t. I think both young and old are just not looking forward to more years of the process. So you start playing for yourself rather than your teammates. You start cheating a little. And it’s such a fine line between losing 3-2 and getting blitzed 6-1. I don’t know. Guys who have played pro or high levels can probably attest that when a coach loses the room there are very small things that creep in. But nobody actually has a players-only meeting to talk about it. Haha.

Posted by rogerrab on 03/11/19 at 08:11 PM ET

Posted by rogerrab on 03/11/19 at 08:11 PM ET

I wasn’t replying to you. but…thanks…I guess….

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/11/19 at 08:38 PM ET

OK sorry. You quoted me so I thought you were replying to me. Guess it was someone else.

Posted by rogerrab on 03/11/19 at 08:46 PM ET