Abel to Yzerman

Whoa…Fingers Crossed

So, I guess we have something to talk about.

As you've seen below at KK, Steve Yzerman is stepping down as GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

As you've seen below here at A2Y for about four years, Ken Holland is out of his depth and needs to be placed into a Jimmy D-like position of little to no influence over personnel decisions made by the Detroit Red Wings.

Now we wait, and we hope.

First, we hope that this isn't medically related. It's shocking and the timing is crazy weird, I guess. We are all hoping this is a professional move on Yzerman's part, not a personal one affecting him or his family.

Secondly, we hope he's on his way to Detroit.

If he doesn't have a suitcase, he needs to get a box, or an old brown paper sack. He can pack it light or pack it heavy. Take a truck, take a Chevy.

Captain, just come back.

Oh yes I did. That's George Strait for you, right here on A2Y.

According to the Tweets posted by the Emperor (and I'm sure they're still flooding in), he's going to stay on in an advisory role.

I'm going to step aside and let you guys discuss, but I'll tell you this...Shit. I don't have to tell you anything.

Come home, Captain. Let's go.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Of course he’s coming home to Detroit!

Great Day for Hockey Town.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 09/11/18 at 01:00 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

my phone is blowing up!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 09/11/18 at 01:01 PM ET

HSJ tweeted out that she is hearing the TB players were told he’s heading back to Detroit.

BEST DAY EVER IF TRUE!!!

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 09/11/18 at 01:05 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

If it ends with Steve coming back to the Wings, I’m elated…..the timing of this seems a bit odd. Training camp starts next week, season 3 weeks away…would have thought something like this would have taken place around or after the draft??

Posted by Down River Dan on 09/11/18 at 01:06 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

# 19

... always a Red Wing

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/11/18 at 01:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Joe Smith tweet,

Jimmy Devellano on Steve Yzerman stepping down: “Like the rest of the world, I was totally surprised.” Had no inkling.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/11/18 at 01:18 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’m really afraid that this is a medical or family-related issue. As others have suggested, the timing doesn’t make sense if he was simply stepping down as the GM in order to (eventually) return to the Wings.

I hope like hell I’m wrong and that, after his “advisory year” with Tampa, he’ll become the Wings GM when Holland is allowed to leave for Seattle. The timing would be right for that scenario, but could the Wings really get that lucky?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/11/18 at 01:21 PM ET

The fact of the matter is Vinik has said he wanted Yzerman to stay. The fact that he is stepping aside in the final year of his contract means for one reason or another that means it wasn’t getting done and we are seeing their succession plan in action.

I’m trying not to get my hopes up, but… On the verge of a cup like this? I’m shocked, elated, nervous, confused, and frankly terrified.

Posted by Robert on 09/11/18 at 01:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I am with you OTC, but this tweet from Brian Lawton says he heard rumblings about this for some time.

Heard some rumblings about this months ago…....wasn’t sure if true. Guess it is now! Steve has done an amazing job

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/11/18 at 01:24 PM ET

His family still lives here, he has ties to the area and comes home every chance he gets.  I really think he will soon be a Red Wing for life and have a title like Brendan Shanahan does for the Leafs.

Posted by bababooey on 09/11/18 at 01:38 PM ET

Paul's avatar

John Shannon tweet,

Steve Yzerman’s resignation in TB has everything to do with quality of life. Steve has always been completely committed to any task at hand. If not, he would feel guilty that he was taking Vinik’s money. Right now, being away from family and too much travel was taking a toll.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/11/18 at 01:41 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Bob McKenzie expects him to fulfill his remaining contract with TBL.

Posted by The Meal from Longmont, CO on 09/11/18 at 01:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m with OTC.  My immediate concern given the timing is that there’s some other pressing matter that isn’t even hockey-related.

And I’ve never disliked him even when he left.  So I’m hoping it’s not something terrible for him or his family.

Posted by Primis on 09/11/18 at 01:47 PM ET

TBH Even despite our rivalry with Tampa as a team they’ve been my “2nd” team since Yzerman left. It was much, much easier to do that when the wings were still in the western conference. Still though I’ve always liked them and Stamkos and Kucherov are stellar, likable players even when they were beating us in the playoffs.

Posted by Robert on 09/11/18 at 01:52 PM ET

Stevie as G.M. Gallant as coach? Kenny tanks the team & gives them a cupboard full of draft picks? There’s a plan? I’m gonna cut back on the Koolaid & fairy tales for the rest of the day grrr

Posted by leftwing on 09/11/18 at 01:53 PM ET

The timing is wrong. I’m hoping this isn’t anything with health or family

Posted by leftwing on 09/11/18 at 01:57 PM ET

Stevie as G.M. Gallant as coach?

That would require Holland to have hired Gallant, no?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 09/11/18 at 01:57 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Some of you may remember Al Strachan.

I believe I mentioned some months ago that Stevie Y would step down in TB and become the architect of the Red Wings’ resurgence. Not changing that view now.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/11/18 at 02:08 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Sirius/XM NHL Network radio speculating that MTL came after BrisBois, and Steve didn’t want to leave Vinik without either him (because he knew he was going to DET after ‘18-‘19 season) and the TBL GM-in-waiting.  I hope this is all this is.

Posted by The Meal from Longmont, CO on 09/11/18 at 02:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Press conference is at 4pm, I have set up a post for it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/11/18 at 02:32 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Wow.  I wasn’t planning on having butterflies in my stomach this afternoon.

COME HOME STEVIE!

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/11/18 at 02:37 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I think that’s the most telling statement.  If something were (currently) in the works with the Wings, Jimmy D would have known and most certainly owned up to it (or said nothing at all).

Posted by TreKronor on 09/11/18 at 02:40 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...this tweet from Brian Lawton says he heard rumblings about this for some time.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/11/18 at 02:24 PM ET

Thanks, Paul. I sure hope that’s the case. The tweet about “quality of lfe issues” is also a positive.

And with a fair number of solid prospects and the chance for a couple more next spring, this would be the perfect time for Stevie Y to come back. Then, with those young guys, a new arena and Yzerman as GM, I think a few quality free agents might find Detroit to be an attractive landing spot.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/11/18 at 03:00 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Stevie Y in a very chipper mood at the podium.  Doesn’t sound like a health or family issue.

Posted by The Meal from Longmont, CO on 09/11/18 at 03:08 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

That’s kind of the funny thing.  After Nill left, Holland looks to actually have put together a great management team and a nice base of a rebuild in the drafting and development the last two years, and that should continue next year.  But if Yzerman comes back to Detroit in a year and Detroit starts winning in 4 or 5 years (like you would expect given the players we’ve got coming up) Stevie will get all the credit.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/11/18 at 03:13 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

There’s no way Stevie is in Tampa after one year.  Given how he’s answering these questions, there is nooooo way he stays another year.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/11/18 at 03:17 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Very carefully not committing to being around after one more season with TBL.

Posted by The Meal from Longmont, CO on 09/11/18 at 03:19 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

C’mon Chris Illitch - make it happen!

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/11/18 at 03:25 PM ET

It’s important to note he is staying on as an adviser to fulfill the duration of his contract. With that being the case he can’t really comment on taking the reigns in Detroit or GMing anywhere else for that matter considering he is working to bring a cup to Tampa, a division rival, this season. However everyone knows the next year will be endless speculation and I am thrilled.

Posted by Robert on 09/11/18 at 03:29 PM ET

Especially because Yzerman has to know the speculation this is going to bring—- If he was going to stop GMing period or had no intentions of looking for another job again I feel like he would have squashed these rumors about him coming home now.

Posted by Robert on 09/11/18 at 03:36 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

2019 for #19 back in Detroit.  You can already picture the graphic in the Freep.

Posted by The Meal from Longmont, CO on 09/11/18 at 03:40 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Ahh Dreams of the Caption returning. Only thing to make this day better would be the prospects defeating Columbus tonight to win the tourney… grin

Posted by Down River Dan on 09/11/18 at 04:37 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Smells like the Stress Train in May in this joint.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/11/18 at 04:51 PM ET

Stevie will get all the credit.

And he absolutely should because if Detroit is good in 4-5 years it’s because he, or someonem figured out how to get out from under the steaming pile of awful Ken Holland contracts.

The person who will deserve the credit for rebuilding is the guy who actually tears down and rebuilds the team, not the guy who had good draft picks fall into his lap all while resisting an actual rebuild and signing rebuild-obstacles like Thomas Vanek, Luke Witkowski and Mike Green.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 09/11/18 at 05:20 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I dont think this means for sure he is coming to detroit.

It’s possible Yzerman said he wants to go home or maybe take on a new challenge (seattle expansion team, national team?) And that the owners asked him to step down.

Could be detroit, could be something else. This is just a good excuse to stay home mostly.

Posted by ilovehomers on 09/11/18 at 05:36 PM ET

Hockeyful's avatar

Had a little time to digest this information. Perhaps it was Ottawa coming after Briesbois, Mr Y always being true to the orginYzation knew that could have severely hampered the Karlsson situation. He takes the high road which would just be who he is.

Posted by Hockeyful from The Best Beach in America on 09/11/18 at 07:35 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Just click your heels together three times and say, “There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home.”

Thanks Chief!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 09/11/18 at 07:56 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Crawling out of my cave to celebrate this milestone with you, Chief.  Good days are ahead and the sun will be shining on our Wings once again.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 09/11/18 at 09:01 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

It does look like Yzerman is coming home. Ken Holland has a 2 year contract, and doesn’t want to be promoted upstairs. The next year should be quite interesting. Hold on. tongue laugh

Posted by bigfrog on 09/11/18 at 09:12 PM ET