Abel to Yzerman

While Lou Is Losing His Mind, Stevie Is Hitting His Stride

When I read the Chief’s post today I was going to write a similar post to this one to break up the Chopper Willa talk around here, but I was too busy during the day to write it up.  Just about an hour ago the story got a whole lot more interesting… sometimes patience is a virtue.

From the mainpage:

NHL deems Kovy contract “a retirement contract”. Says it “artificially drops cap hit”. Also states its too overloaded the first 10 yrs

More from the mainpage via TSN:

The NHL has rejected Ilya Kovalchuk’s 17-year, $102 million contract with the New Jersey Devils on the grounds that it circumvents the NHL’s salary cap.

Kovalchuk was slated to earn $95 million over the first 10 years of the deal and then just $7 million over the last seven seasons. That would translate to an annual cap hit of $6 million per year.

You can almost see the veins on Lou Lamoriello’s massive scalp throbbing from here.

Yet while Lou loses his mind, Stevie is hitting his stride.  Also from the mainpage:

This just in: Don’t play poker with Stevie Y.

There has been a whole lot of shakin’ on Channelside Drive by a GM who won’t stop making moves. Yzerman did it again Monday, acquiring Flyers winger Simon Gagne for under-performing defenseman Matt Walker and a fourth-round draft pick…

It’s tricky and I’m not sure I agree with all of it, but there is a plan there and that’s refreshing to see. While wandering in the wasteland the past three seasons, the Bolts’ plan seemed to be drawn up on the back of a napkin with a felt-tip pen that promptly ran…

Watching him work in the short time he has been here, it’s clear that the Bolts’ new GM is decisive, focused and knows what he wants to accomplish. It’s interesting to see the plan take shape.

That’s Joe Henderson from the Tampa Tribune.  Something tells me we’ll be hearing more from Joe at A2Y this year.

I’ve considered Tick-Tock and Lou to be the best NHL GMs for a while.  They have a track record of winning, and winning often.  But Lou has been slipping lately, as have the Devils, and I think the writing is in prune juice on the wall:  it’s time for Lamoriello to be put out to pasture.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting he gets shot in the head and made into glue, just given a nice desk job where his aging brain won’t be taxed too much.

Reading from Baroque’s Big Book of Biology, we learn that synapses (the neural highway in the brain) are lost during aging in the prefrontal cortex of primates.  Baroque also tells us that the most typical psychological term for functions carried out by the prefrontal cortex area is executive function. Executive function relates to abilities to differentiate among conflicting thoughts, determine good and bad, better and best, same and different, future consequences of current activities, working toward a defined goal, prediction of outcomes, expectation based on actions, and social “control” (the ability to suppress urges that, if not suppressed, could lead to socially-unacceptable outcomes).  You may think that comes from wikipedia, but you should know that Baroque is the reference for all legitimate online scientific content.

In his old age, Lou is losing his executive function and should, rightfully, lose his executive function as GM if the Devils want to win in the future.

While details of the NHL’s rejection of the contract Kovalchuk signed with the Devils are still emerging, I can guarantee you that Steve Yzerman would not make the same mistake in seeking approval for this kind of contract (often called a “Ken Holland Contract”) from Gary Bettman and the league.  Stevie was a fast student, and one thing he definitely learned from Tick-Tock is when you send a contract to Li’l Gary for approval be sure to send an able, willing, and eager messenger to deliver the contract to Li’l Gary personally.  As Tick-Tock knows, Li’l Gary prefers “ballerinas”.

image

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Sullyosis's avatar

By the way, I posted that last one before I read J.J.‘s last post…so allow me to respond to that.  Reads like nearly every Robert Heinlein novel I’ve ever read (which I love beyond imagining) and leaves me with a sense of ‘I’m too drunk to comment on that’....But I like it.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 07/22/10 at 04:38 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

leaves me with a sense of ‘I’m too drunk to comment on that’

Sully, having met you when you’re too drunk, I’d say that’s the perfect state for you to offer comment on something, especially on Bettman and the CBA.

BTW, Part 2, Team Zetterberg, is now up:

Again, good work George.

Speaking of Hank, he’s getting hitched tomorrow, which means that Emma is officially off the market.  Guess I’ll have to focus my attention on the other few million hot women in Sweden.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/22/10 at 06:34 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Stop taking my (fake) name in vain, gentlemen - I haven’t written an book for the excellent reason that I’m a horrible writer. smile

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/22/10 at 09:11 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

I haven’t written an book for the excellent reason that I’m a horrible writer.

Well, that much is obvious.

(Sorry Baroque, I couldn’t resist.  Will you forgive me if I apply my professionally-appraised [no joke] excellet writing skills to helping you compose and publish Baroque’s Big Book of Biology?)

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/22/10 at 10:45 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That’s quite a compliment.  Thank you.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/22/10 at 11:13 AM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

We have a saying in the mining towns in which I live, actually several on that subject, but one of them is:  Husbands don’t plug holes.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 07/22/10 at 11:38 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

HA! So, I’m not commenting so I don’t have my own typo.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/22/10 at 12:04 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Husbands don’t plug holes.
Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 07/22/10 at 09:38 AM ET

Never seen a ring fill one either.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/22/10 at 12:23 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I don’t know about that-  with a properly sized husband and some silicone, I’m sure something can be worked out.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/22/10 at 01:26 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/22/10 at 01:28 AM ET

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/22/10 at 01:28 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/22/10 at 01:28 AM ET

What I meant to say was “Yeah.”

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/22/10 at 01:28 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

HA! So, I’m not commenting so I don’t have my own typo.

Well, that’s me done.  I will bid you good day, sir.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/22/10 at 02:43 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Off topic, Rush was by far probably the best concert I have ever seen.

A-fuching-mazing. I can’t believe I have been a fan for all these years and haven’t made the opportunity to see them. No lines for the Ladies Room but a super long one for the guys.

Geddy did a bit on how 7 females showed up for the concert. Too funny. Rush is not known for it’s legion of female fans, but, I saw many families with teens and tons of people my age. A band for the Ages. Literally.

Moving Pictures in it’s entirety for the first time during a tour.

Neil Peart, part nerd, all talent. Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/22/10 at 04:19 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Oh, fuch, that’s some bizarre shit on Hank’s wedding:

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/22/10 at 10:25 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Herm, you don’t have a posterior shot, do you?  I’d like to blow up that legendary ass, frame it, and put it on my wall next to the wedding and family photos.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/23/10 at 03:37 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

Husbands don’t plug holes.

Never seen a ring fill one either.

Posted by MOWingsfan19

Awesome.

And right next to JJ’s well written breakdown of the owner-player logic against which the PA should act.

Homer looks too comfortable in that getup.

Btw, can you imagine being that skinny pasty dude in the background and having to stand next to Hank, Nick and Fil. His chances of getting laid that day? -3%  (never underestimate the power of a roufiecalada)

Posted by Osrt on 07/23/10 at 06:35 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Dallas, I’m going to put off retirement for one more year to win the cup with the best fuchin’ organ-I-zation in all of sports, Drake gets inducted to the BC Hall of Fame.

He says a few nice (which we all already know) words about Nick, Z , and Pav.

He also tells Willa Chops to get off his waffling ass and sigh with ink and paper already.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 07/23/10 at 10:09 AM ET

monkey's avatar

I’d like to blow up that legendary ass

I don’t know about the rest of you, but it’s tidbits like this that keep me coming back.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/23/10 at 05:58 PM ET

monkey's avatar

According to Google translate “Zäta” means “Detroit”.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/23/10 at 06:12 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Its like “wheres waldo” with red wings

too big to post

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 07/23/10 at 06:50 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 07/23/10 at 04:50 PM ET

So awesome.

Viewing the assembled luminaries, it appears that the only non-Swede Wings on hand are Datsyuk and Filppula.  Also, who invited John McCain?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/23/10 at 07:13 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Mule rocking the Ray Bans…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/23/10 at 07:47 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 07/23/10 at 04:50 PM ET

Could this be midnight at the reception? You know, summer sun all night long?
That’s just wild ... a Zetterberg jail break.
(But I’m not sure we’ll be wearing these at H2H2.)

Help me out,
I can pick out:
Z, Pav, Fil, Samuelsson, Big Rig, Homer, TPH, Kronner, Lilja, and Mule.
Who did I miss?
Ah, I mean, of current or former Red Wings, who did I miss?

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/23/10 at 09:17 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2