Abel to Yzerman

While we’re kicking tires? Let’s kick the dive while they’re down

I've been forwarded to Rhode Island for the next two weeks.  That means I'll be a little scarce.  I'll be checking in from time to time to read HockeyinDB's daily life lessons, but thumbing the phone gets old.

If our man on the scene, Tick Tock, goes all nutso and actually trades someone for someone else? I'll probably write about it or something.   If no deals, I'll be "studying".

The worst team in hockey is visiting the Joe and this is a live blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

MOWingsfan19's avatar

There could possibly be two of the worst teams at the Joe tonight if there’s any carryover from that craptastic effort yesterday.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/01/13 at 04:44 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

Do you guys think KH kicks the spare tire too? Just checking..

Posted by detroitredwings on 04/01/13 at 04:44 PM ET

klank's avatar

Do you guys think KH kicks the spare tire too?

it be flat as well…  Tick Tock is still wonder struck as it’s tubeless.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 04/01/13 at 04:49 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Robyn Regehr has full NMC clause but Buff getting lots of calls, including tire kicking from Montreal I hear

Ken Holland’s true lasting impact on the league; “tire kicking” is used everywhere now, lol!  Thanks to Pierre LeBrun for the tweet.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 04/01/13 at 04:57 PM ET

Zetterberg only has 8 goals.  He needs to be waived.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/01/13 at 05:00 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Hopefully the Wings took their pride off the shelf this morning and put it back on.

Sink the Dive

LGRW!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/01/13 at 05:02 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Zetterberg only has 8 goals.  He needs to be waived.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/01/13 at 06:00 PM ET

Fishing for attention again. Go away Troll.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/01/13 at 05:05 PM ET

Bonjour, Amigo.

At this point in the season, two points is two points.  Really don’t care how the Wings how get ‘em, just get the two points.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/01/13 at 05:08 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

BREAKING NEWS:  Detroyet Red Wings sign G Dominik Hasek and F Robert Lang to 6 yr re-entry deals, compensation to be $10 an hour, plus Fanatic U gift cards for every round of playoffs achieved.

Ken Holland on the unexpected signings, “Now we really like our team.”

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/01/13 at 05:12 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

me (as if I’d really get the chance to ask ... right):
“Do you gentlemen see any moves on the horizon?”

Uncle Mike: “I really like our team.”

Tick Tock: “I’m OK where we’re at, ...”

OoooooooooooKayyyyyyyyy ... then,

L.G.R.W.

(To be fair, I personally do like our team and am OK where were at, too; we are rebuilding and my expectations aren’t too high for this year. Injuries have really been the unpredictable issue, I believe. However, if the boys want to surprise me and make it No. 12 in ‘13, I’m still all in. Never give up. L.G.R.W.)

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/01/13 at 05:16 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/01/13 at 06:16 PM ET

I was on the trade wagon in the last two seasons, but this year I don’t want to see a deal unless it’s a sweetheart deal.  To me its all about opportunity cost, and the Wings just aren’t close enough to the competitive edge to make the gamble worth it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/01/13 at 05:20 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

injuries are a valid “excuse” to some level, but at what point do we start to question the training staff?  seems like it’s been a few years now with a lot of these groin and back injuries.  are the players not training properly?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/01/13 at 05:21 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Could it be that Kenny really does like our team, it’s just that he likes 27 other teams more?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/01/13 at 05:21 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

and if they never make any trades to get better, how will they get to the point where they ARE close enough to make a trade?

it’s like saying “I’m too far from that bottle of beer to start walking toward it, so when I’m closer then I’ll walk toward it.”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/01/13 at 05:21 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Don’t get a stiff neck keeping your nose in the air in Newport MC.

Working the night shift tonite thanks to some nincompoop scheduling and will miss another game. Will dvr it and watch it following along with the 19.

I don’t believe any earth shattering trades are happening so let the chips fall where they may.

Now for something really important…... How is Cindy going to repay Uncle Gary for the Iggy trade with his mouth all busted up? Had a stick time with a Czech guy today and we both shrugged shoulders saying meh.
Go get em Wings.

For those who have center ice.  The Tigs are on right now.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/01/13 at 05:25 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

And Smyly’s blowing it

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/01/13 at 05:30 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Sorry, I cannot relate to that. It is not possible for a beer to be too far away to walk (run) towards.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/01/13 at 05:31 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I really have no idea what the over/under is for a DET trade?  Say Wally for some other top 6 type?

Whatever it is, is just too damn high and isn’t happening.  I give the team better odds for just showing up tonight and being, you know, competitive.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/01/13 at 05:36 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 04/01/13 at 06:36 PM ET

Terry Sawchuk will rise from the dead and start for the Wings before Kenny is a seller at a trade deadline.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/01/13 at 05:40 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/01/13 at 06:21 PM ET

Show me a team that will trade us a young player that will make a good, long term investment (i.e. worth what we’ll pay for it) and I’ll be cheering right with you man.  But take Iginla for an example, he’s probably going to go down as the biggest pickup in this year’s trade market.  Do you really think the Wings would be that much better if they’d got him, let alone a lesser player?

I’m as frustrated as the rest of you, but I don’t think trading Flipulla, White, and a draft pick to get a forward slightly better than Filpulla is gonna be worth it.  Those guys aren’t going to fetch a lot value for a team thats gonna make a curtain call at best, if it even makes the playoffs at all.

I hate it too, but this team is too close to sell but too far away to gamble.  Player development is the only viable way forward for this team.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/01/13 at 05:42 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Trading Flip to Dallas for a first rounder (perhaps more depending on how DAL finishes) would work. They have 4 games against the ducks and hawks and another three agains the kings and nucks. No way they make the playoffs. Draft lottery here we come. Pick a bubble team who thinks they’re going to make the playoffs, but you think will miss. Make the deal. Cpondition the pick; team makes playoffs, they kick in a second rounder too, or something to that affect.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/01/13 at 05:50 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Terry Sawchuk will rise from the dead and start for the Wings

Hell, I’d settle for Franzen rising from the dead for now.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/01/13 at 05:51 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

So you want DET to sign him at $5 mill/yr?  That is the salary that is rumored to be necessary to keep him?

Or do you trade him and try to salvage at least a draft pick for him?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/01/13 at 05:51 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Fear not:  the next 6’4” 250 pound puck moving defensive minded high scoring defenseman with two years left on his deal at $2 million per is as good as signed.  For a fourth-rounder.

Gotta quit drinking so early in the day.

Posted by Colquhoun on 04/01/13 at 05:52 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Because I don’t see Wally being worth that kind of money - - not nearly.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/01/13 at 05:53 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Filppula isn’t playing like he wants $5 million in Det.  Cripes, even Drapes scored twenty four in his last playing-for-a-contract year.  That’s what you call “selling”.

Posted by Colquhoun on 04/01/13 at 05:56 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Oh no,  Eddie Icepatch and Pee-air tonight.

Fuch, I’d almost rather poke my eyes out with forks.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/01/13 at 05:58 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Filppula isn’t playing like he wants $5 million in Det. Cripes, even Drapes scored twenty four in his last playing-for-a-contract year. That’s what you call “selling”.

Posted by Colquhoun on 04/01/13 at 06:56 PM ET

Flip is no Draper. Hell, Flip is no Happy

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/01/13 at 05:59 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Hey Master Chief are you at the Senior Enlisted Academy?

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 04/01/13 at 06:03 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Oh no,  Eddie Icepatch and Pee-air tonight.

That means the play-by-play guy who screams like an ninety-year-old woman having a happy ending.

Fortunately much beer in fridge.

Posted by Colquhoun on 04/01/13 at 06:04 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Flip should easily be worth $5 mil per year, at least that’s where most people thought he’d be at this point in his career when he first entered the league, and that’s what’s so shitty about all this. As many of my high school teachers, a few uncles, most aunts, two little league coaches, a minister, and an ex girlfriend used to say: unrealized potential is so sad.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/01/13 at 06:06 PM ET

NHL Rumor Mill @NHLRumorMillcom
Hmm. RT @aaronward_nhl Calgary Flames have granted Toronto Maple Leafs permission to talk to Kiprusoffs representatives

Well, how nice is that?  Seeing Kipper six times next season.  Presuming, of course, that Kipper IS reporting to his new team…

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/01/13 at 06:08 PM ET

Hell, I’d be thrilled if they traded Filpulla and White for draft picks.

Posted by Django on 04/01/13 at 06:11 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Apparently I torture myself with this because I have nothing else to hope for. If I had alcohol, I’d be shit-faced already, but it’s probably a good thing I don’t.

I don’t even know if I care whether the Wings win or lose tonight.

Whatever.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/01/13 at 06:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Or do you trade him and try to salvage at least a draft pick for him?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 04/01/13 at 06:51 PM ET

That’s a good point, but most of us aren’t talking in the vein that you are.  I’m speaking to the “make a home run trade” mindset.  Getting something rather than nothing for Filpulla is preferable than letting him walk for sure… if that is indeed what happens.

I’m interested too if Filpulla doesn’t end up in the same position Ericsson was in last season.  We may not like what he costs, but how much better are you gonna do for another player with the same money?

Anyway, my point is that the Wings aren’t going to be able to trade for the messiah this season.  This isn’t a bad a team, certainly not bad enough to blow up just to get a trade done.  But the Wings aren’t good enough to absorb a bad trade either.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/01/13 at 06:15 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by SYF from a deadline acquisition deal on 04/01/13 at 07:08 PM ET

Man the Flames have rode that guy like a rented pony… he’s all used up and life won’t get any easier for him in Toronto.  Not worried by that at all.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/01/13 at 06:17 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Or do you trade him and try to salvage at least a draft pick for him?

If he seriously wants $5 mil per year, then absolutely yes they should trade him.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/01/13 at 06:19 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Bonjour, bitches.  Let’s kick some tires whore style.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/01/13 at 06:20 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Let’s kick some tires whore style.

Seems to be all DET is good at lately,

bonjour

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/01/13 at 06:22 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Or kick whores tire style.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/01/13 at 06:22 PM ET