Abel to Yzerman

Where Is The Detroit Organization Headed?

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The growth of their young players give the Detroit Red Wings hope for the 2020 playoffs.

That’s the longer-term outlook. The shorter term is that Thursday’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning offers a chance to play competitively against the best team in the NHL, and then the remaining 11 games in the season are equally a chance to prove something. The Wings were mathematically eliminated from the 2019 playoffs Tuesday, and while that had been coming for weeks — months, really — the team needs to adhere to working hard and showing effort.

“It just goes to show you where this organization is headed,” veteran defenseman Niklas Kronwall said. “We need to find a way to make sure it is heading in the right direction. If everything is spiraling the wrong way, at the end of the day you’re kind of OK with things going on. That’s not acceptable for this organization.

“We have to find a way to be better on a daily basis.”

continued

Below, watch Bernier, Abdelkader, Kronwall and Blashill after the game.

Plus the game highlights.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Marlowe Alter of the Detroit Free Press,

On Tuesday, the Wings were eliminated from the postseason, as expected, for the third straight season in a 3-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens.

And at least one fan in Montreal made it clear Yzerman is wanted in Detroit.

Peter Andrianopoulos is a longtime Wings fan who lives in Montreal. He was sitting in the second row behind the boards Tuesday, and held up a sign that read: Save Us Yzerman.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/13/19 at 08:47 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

How are you feeling Paul?

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/13/19 at 08:55 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Much better dd, meds are back in my body and feeling fine now.

I was completely out of it most of the day yesterday, weird feeling I don’t want to experience again.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/13/19 at 08:57 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Good to hear things are better Paul. It’s amazing in this day an age things such as getting a prescription can that cumbersome.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/13/19 at 10:20 AM ET

Where is it headed?

Option A. With Holland. That means Blashill is back. So is Howard and Kronwall, you know, because of leadership. Like we can’t just have a team full of 20-year olds and be like the Oilers. Yada. Yada. Under Holland we can also expect zero creativity around getting rid of dead weight like Abby, Helm, Ericsson. We just have to wait for their deals to expire. Besides, all of these kids need veteran mentors like that. You know, guys who will step up for their teammates, like they did when Larkin was cheap-shotted. Anyway, we expect 2-3 new kids to be on the roster next year so look mom, I’m rebuilding.

Option B. With Yzerman, or any competent GM. Blashill fired. Kronwall and Howard and Vanek let go. Creativity to shed a bad contract. Courage to waive a vet to the AHL. Maybe a bold trade to add a missing piece. Think something like Mantha for Montour. You have to give to get.

Pretty simple choice to me.

Posted by rogerrab on 03/13/19 at 10:47 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Even if Stevie comes back, I don’t see him “blowing” things up. I just don’t see that as his style. I suspect Blashill will be back regardless of who is sitting in the GM seat. I don’t think this is necessarily the worst thing. They have some contracts coming off the books, they have a legitimate shot at the #1 pick. They could make an offer sheet to a RFA that could be an impact player. Except for a few bad contracts on the books, I think things will be looking up at after July 1st.

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/13/19 at 11:16 AM ET

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/13/19 at 11:16 AM ET

Letting Kronwall, Howard and Vanek walk away. Trading away a bad contract like say Helm. And than waiving Ericsson to the AHL isn’t my definition of blowing anything up. That’s just the bare minimum for a rebuilding team. It also gives you like $20M of cap space to start using wisely.

Posted by rogerrab on 03/13/19 at 11:36 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/13/19 at 11:16 AM ET

I agree, not because of style, moreso the rigidity of the NHL CBA system.

That said, Holland, Yzerman, or any other GM is going to have about as much available canvas to paint on as there is. Lots of cap space rolling off the books in the next two years, only 4 players signed beyond, and a top 3 pick and more to work with.  Talent at the top of the draft is at forward, meaning we almost certainly need to trade our forward depth for a dman or goalie, where we have needs.

Mantha and AA both have contract decisions looming, Bert behind them, we can’t keep them all.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 03/13/19 at 11:38 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Where Is The Detroit Organization Headed?

Well… the trajectory over the past ten years has been downward. I have yet to see much that is going to cause that trend to go upward. Maybe there’s a flattening coming. But then again, maybe the flattening is due reaching the bottom, where there’s not much room to go further down. Thanks Kenny.

I agree, not because of style, moreso the rigidity of the NHL CBA system.
Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/13/19 at 11:38 AM ET

Thanks Gary, @$$

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 03/13/19 at 12:19 PM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

I would like to see the franchise trade AA over the summer in order to build a defense. I also think give Mantha and Bert another year to either cement a place or build trade value; then, possibly move one of the two the following summer for more defense or a goal tender. There’s forward depth in the pipeline, and the roster is stocked with veteran fourth liners.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 03/13/19 at 12:30 PM ET

What if Yzerman goes to Seattle? Ha!

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/13/19 at 01:38 PM ET

Even if Stevie comes back, I don’t see him “blowing” things up.
Posted by Down River Dan on 03/13/19 at 11:16 AM ET

...the rigidity of the NHL CBA system.

It’s probably a but of both. I’m sure a new GM (yzerman or someone else) will want to evaluate the talent that’s in the system. A blowup sends a clear message to the team - you are all expendable to management and we don’t care about you so don’t think of us as your family but, rather, just a business where you are our servants.

I doubt Vanek or anyone else is back. Svech and Zadina will be fighting for that spot. If a trade comes this summer I wager it involves at least one of Bert, AA or Mantha for a Dman prospect and some late picks.

Next season Hronek and Denny will be on the team. The only space left is at #7. If that’s Ericsson then the Dman trade moves up to a proven NHLer and no picks.

I don’t see any forward outside of Hughes making the team from this draft year. There’s no space. Existing contracts make it hard to move anyone else other than Glendening. I feel Helm has an outside chance at being traded if salary is retained. Daily is with this team until at least December of 2019 and so is Green. Daily has no trade value being old and because of terrible play. It’s easy to now consider Green an injury risk.

If Detroit gets the #1 pick I might be willing to make a call to Colorado to trade back for their 1st round pick from Ottawa, Cal Maker and they take Ericsson or Helm or Abbey off our hands. Would 2 first round picks be enough to ask for Jack Hughes? Hot damn if they took Abbey! They have the cap space to bury him and only Rantanen and Barrie on the books for big paydays. Heck, maybe MacKinnon could bank shot Justin’s butt for 20 goals again.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/13/19 at 02:12 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

What if Yzerman goes to Seattle? Ha!

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/13/19 at 01:38 PM ET

That would be a huge kick in the crotch to Tampa

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 03/13/19 at 02:26 PM ET

And a few people around these parts who are assuming he’s a done deal…

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/13/19 at 02:32 PM ET

Where Is The Detroit Organization Headed?

Hard to say until there are philosophical changes at the top.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 03/13/19 at 03:09 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

...That’s just the bare minimum…

Please don’t misunderstand. I agree, the departure of Kronwall, Vanek has to happen.

I would be in favor of, but don’t think it will happen, would be the buyout/waive/bury in the AHL of a Ericsson,Abby.

I would look hard at trying to trade away Nielsen, Daley, but not sure you find a willing partner (maybe somebody trying to get to the Cap floor)???

I just meant to suggest that I don’t think Yzerman (assuming he is the GM ???) would come in and start a major shakeup. I think he will evaluate things much as he has done in Tampa.

I think/hope things will start to sort themselves out, I just think it may take longer than some on this site anticipate…

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/13/19 at 03:52 PM ET

Why would Stevie physically leave Tampa to be closer to home and family in Detroit,
and then turn around and move all the way across the country to a much more distant city
where he has no ties or history? Is his entire family moving to Seattle?

He’s from BC originally, right?

Honest question: why do people in Seattle think it’s likely let alone a “done deal”?

Did HSJ just write that making the playoffs one year from now is a legit goal?
Does she think she needs to parrot every last talking point? That is not an even slightly realistic goal.
Sure players and organizations need to aim high, but that one makes no sense.

Posted by lefty.30 on 03/13/19 at 05:59 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Most Yzerman’s family is in Ontario or Michigan:

Yzerman was born in Cranbrook, British Columbia.[10] As a youth, he played in the 1977 Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament with a minor ice hockey team from Nepean, Ontario.[11] He attended Bell High School and played for his hometown Nepean Raiders Junior A hockey team.[citation needed] After one season with the Raiders, the Peterborough Petes of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) drafted him, and he played centre for the Petes from 1981 to 1983.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/13/19 at 06:50 PM ET

where he has no ties or history? Is his entire family moving to Seattle?
Posted by lefty.30 on 03/13/19 at 05:59 PM ET

Maybe….just maybe…...he knows the move out west is coming…..he want’s to wrap up things in Detroit that are non-hockey related. This isn’t a hard stretch to imagine….unless you’ve never moved across the country.

I think what I said wasn’t clear. I didn’t mean it was a done deal that Steve would come to Seattle, I meant people at KK think Stevie signing with Detroit is a done deal. It ain’t. It’s all speculation at this point based on him moving to be closer to his family only. I’m really sorry that was crystal clear on my part.

What’s super funny to me is here in Seattle there hasn’t been talk about Kenny coming for over a year. Yet, there’s all kinds of it here at KK. The #1 reason why KK thinks Kenny is coming to Seattle…..he’s from friggin’ BC. Stevie was born in BC too. I’d wager he’s still got some family there as well. So, following the popular logic…...Stevie is also a shoe-in.

What Seattle seems to be aiming to do is hire a GM this summer. Ken will still be under contract with Detroit. Stevie will not be under contract. Honestly, I don’t think either will be Seattle’s GM. What seems logical, is that Ken Holland finishes his contract and retires. Stevie, takes a year off to enjoy his family returning to hockey next summer refreshed as Detroit’s GM. This is not to much a stretch for my imagination and it’s a very limited imagination.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/13/19 at 07:41 PM ET

Yzerman’s dad worked for the federal government. He was temporarily stationed in BC and Yzerman happened to be born there. The family returned to Nepean (near Ottawa) after several years. That’s where he grew up. Stevie owns a lakefront property near there. It’s common knowledge that you can see the Yzerman’s there during much of the summer. So his roots are clearly not in BC, but instead in Detroit/Ontario.Meanwhile Holland spends his summer in Vernon BC, well Kalamalka Lake if you want to get technical. He has relatives there. He belongs to the Predator Ridge golf course.

So anyone suggesting that Yzerman’s ties to BC are as strong as Holland is just factually wrong. Sorry. Roberta #insider. Lol

Posted by rogerrab on 03/13/19 at 09:05 PM ET

Jesus Rob, I said it was a joke. Stop feeling you need to be right all the time.

Dog, that’s a nice article, and I’m very aware of it. While it mentions Holland, people here don’t think it’s likely until Kenny quits. Like I said above, he’s still under contract for next season, Stevie’s contract ends this summer. If Stevie’ moved to MI to repair his family then it would be likely he’s going to take another year to do that. Taking over after Ken’s final year makes way more sense then Ken quitting early to move to a place that trades him one 5 hour flight from Detroit to Vancouver for a one hour flight from Seattle to Vancouver. I’m sorry, but I’m not holding my breath on this idea.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/14/19 at 09:46 AM ET