Abel to Yzerman

We’ll Have 3 Burgers, 2 Chips, Some Guac and….37 Coronas.  Charge It To The Kid.

When you've got a day off after winning three in a row on a road trip that was supposed to signal the end of joy forever?

You do what men do.  Drink a little and mess with the most junior guy you can find.

Here's Brendan Smith's tab after an afternoon in Phoenix today, via @bssmith7 (since deleted).

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

John W.'s avatar

Ha, yeah, that’s awesome.  I figured when I saw it on twitter earlier the Wings would make him pull it.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/26/13 at 07:59 PM ET

Crow's avatar

That’s hilarious!  But wouldn’t Lashoff be the most junior of the bunch?

Posted by Crow on 03/26/13 at 08:03 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Hahaha…awesome!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/26/13 at 08:04 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

That’s hilarious!  But wouldn’t Lashoff be the most junior of the bunch?

Posted by Crow on 03/26/13 at 09:03 PM ET

Probably, but I was in a hurry and (don’t tell anyone) I’ve had a few pops myself so I’m technically breaking my no drinking/posting rule (self imposed).  It’s not no drinking/commenting, just posting.  Anyway, there you go.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 03/26/13 at 08:07 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

lmao, 37 corona’s.

Which fruitcake ordered the Pina Colada?  I’m betting Franzen.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/26/13 at 08:09 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I bet it was Ian White. Had to be. With double umbrellas

Posted by dougie on 03/26/13 at 08:18 PM ET

My money is on Kindl for the Pina Colada.

Posted by maltby18 on 03/26/13 at 08:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It was Brendan Smith.

If you like pina coladas…and getting caught on the rush.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/26/13 at 08:37 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

All that drinking by 11:37am !!??

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/26/13 at 08:48 PM ET

The Pina Colada had to be Filppula

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 03/26/13 at 08:48 PM ET

Yeah, but mad props for tipping 20%. No cheapskates on the Wings!

Posted by CJBear71 on 03/26/13 at 08:50 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Always a possibility that the Piña Colada was bought for a ‘visitor’ rather than one of the Wings themselves.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/26/13 at 08:52 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

DRD, had to get it in before their afternoon nap, can’t be wakin’ up tomorrow with a hangover!

Besides, boys have earned it.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/26/13 at 08:53 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/26/13 at 09:52 PM ET

Don’t defend him Shane, we demand accountability on the Wings.  That Pina Colada should be a healthy scratch Thursday.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/26/13 at 08:53 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Okay, okay, okay.  Would you believe me if I said Newfoundlanders LOVE the Coladas?

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/26/13 at 08:59 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Hard to beat a Pina Colada poolside at the Jackrabbit, gents.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 03/26/13 at 09:03 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I see Bert was there, 4 double Bacardi’s.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/26/13 at 09:06 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Were the 3 soft drinks Uncle Mike’s Frescas grin

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 03/26/13 at 09:12 PM ET

hdw's avatar

That was just lunch, or possibly breakfast.

Using the fact that they were “stuck” in Scottsdale for travel reasons they had the Tuesday off for RnR.

So they held the annual “Rookie Dinner” Monday night, which most likely was a bit harder on some of the younger players wallets.

Posted by hdw on 03/26/13 at 09:19 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

I love this - makes these fellas more real than constantly hearing the “we got to go to the net”, “we have to take care of the puck”, etc… They deserved the break.

Posted by alukacs on 03/26/13 at 09:25 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

All that drinking by 11:37am !!??

Noon somewhere.  Happy hour in Big D.

Posted by Colquhoun on 03/26/13 at 09:31 PM ET

Also, $6.50 for a friggin Corona?

Posted by maltby18 on 03/26/13 at 09:32 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

lmao, finally get to put that calculator watch to use Malts18?

You guys are on fire tonight, I’m lovin’ it.

I’m just glad he didn’t pull an Evander Kane.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/26/13 at 09:35 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by hdw on 03/26/13 at 10:19 PM ET

I love that the Rookie wasn’t even there for it!

“Just got the pool and see the boys were nice enough to leave a tab under my room…”

Love it

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/26/13 at 09:37 PM ET

hdw's avatar

I love that the Rookie wasn’t even there for it!

The Rookie Dinner was Monday night (directly post the Coyotes game).

The tab pictured is from noon the day after ...

It might very well represent stuff they decided to stick on his tab from the end of the dinner to noon the next day.

Posted by hdw on 03/26/13 at 10:20 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Poor Lashoff.  I disagree with whoever felt for him not being there.  How good do you think a carona would taste if you knew it cost you 6.50 and you were paying for everyone else’s, too?

Eh.  On second thought, Carona tastes like piss under the best of times.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/26/13 at 10:21 PM ET

hdw's avatar

Regardless of the natural taste of a Corona.

I’d say it’d taste quite well, despite price, amount and well, the actual taste, if it’s your “welcome to the gang” of an NHL team wink

Posted by hdw on 03/26/13 at 10:25 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Also, $6.50 for a friggin Corona?

How about $16.00 for a frigging chz burger? I hope it was at least Kobe beef.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/26/13 at 10:29 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I hope it was at least Kobe beef.

The Lakers are in town?

Posted by calquake on 03/26/13 at 10:39 PM ET

I don’t always wear a calculator watch,

But when I do…

Oh wait, wrong kind of beer.

Posted by maltby18 on 03/26/13 at 10:59 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/26/13 at 09:37 PM ET

Banned.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/26/13 at 11:03 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

A pool full of Jackrabbits just doesn’t seem that soothing…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 03/27/13 at 12:13 AM ET

perfection's avatar

I actually bet it was Z who ordered the Piña Colada. He’s more metrosexual than anyone. I mean have you seen his wedding photos or his clothing line?

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/27/13 at 12:19 AM ET

achinaz's avatar

The prices there are a bit ridiculous, given that the cheapest casitas are around $400.00 a night this time of year, not including the $25.00 per person per day “resort fee”.

My bet: the soft drinks were Tootoo’s and the Piña Colada was Emmerton’s.

20% is like 110.90, why would you round that down?

Monkey’s right, poolside at the Jackrabbit is one of the best places in the valley to enjoy an adult beverage or six.

Posted by achinaz from the counter at Lafayette Coney Island on 03/27/13 at 04:53 AM ET

20% is like 110.90, why would you round that down?

Probably because he didn’t have a calculator and who’s going to complain about only getting a 19.5% tip?

Posted by Garth on 03/27/13 at 06:18 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/27/13 at 01:19 AM ET

Yeah but he can do all that stuff, drink a pina colada, and he’s still a frigging badass.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/27/13 at 06:28 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Corona is Mexican piss in a bottle.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/27/13 at 08:19 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

three big road wins then some bonding.  I’m liking where this is going.  paintball anyone?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 03/27/13 at 08:20 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

20% is like 110.90, why would you round that down.

Posted by achinaz from the Total Perspective Vortex on 03/27/13 at 05:53 AM ET

Tips are supposed to be based on the pre-tax amount. You don’t tip on tax. So this was nearly a 22% tip.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/27/13 at 09:22 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

I can’t stomach people I know drinking one Corona, let alone seeing my poor friends drinking 37 of them…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 03/27/13 at 09:44 AM ET