Abel to Yzerman

Want A Cup Of Joe?

Updated at 0141 15 Feb Carrier Standard Time: Herm asked in the comments below if I have a comment regarding a certain player I won’t type the name of who currently resides and plays in a certain pisspot of a town south of the border.  No comment now. No comment tomorrow or ever until providence delivers that big horse to our door.  I’ve jinxed so much for so long.  No. I won’t say it.  But, please, Tick Tock…just this once. Get Dombrowski on the phone if you have to. There. That’s all I’m gonna say about Rick Nash.

Win or lose tonite against the Original Bubba, one thing can’t be disputed: no Red Wing team has ever been as dominant at Joe Louis Arena as this team is right now, or has been this season.  Back when the 19 was just a gleam in the eyes of sinister bastards like RWBill and the elusive Gramps, the Joe was a house of sin.  Poor pathetic little sisters like St. Louis and Denver, Nashville and San Jose (remember when they couldn’t win a damn thing in our Manger?) feared the Joe because they knew they’d leave soiled and violated.

The last few years saw a change in that, though.  In dark corners of The Hasek we talked amongst ourselves and whispered the bad things. We wondered about motivation and grit and, ugh, leadership…as if we know a damn thing about what it takes to lead a hockey team. Oh, don’t get all redolent on me.  We all talked about it, and I probably spewed that garbage more than most. We wondered about The Swede and our Uncle Mike.  The last two years the Wings won more than they lost at home but big frigging deal.  Plenty of teams win more than they lose at home.

But the Wings haven’t dominated at the Joe like baby Jesus promised us they would.  Last year Detroit won 21 games at home. An interesting number considering what they’ll try to accomplish tonite…in February.  Think about that. Detroit goes for their 21st straight victory with two months left in the regular season. The streak itself would equal the number of games they won at home last year: period.  ‘09/10? 25 wins.  23 already this year.  27 home wins the year before that.  A number this year’s team should surpass no later than early, early March.

Something’s going on with this team, this year. Krupa, with his vocabulary, noticed it yesterday and wrote about it in between sonnets and Latin classes.  In yet another article that has me warily wondering if maybe he can’t be coined the new Anti-Digger, Krupa tells us this might be Detroit deciding getting booed in their own barn is just not the Wing way.

But the will to please their fans, or, at least not to hear their displeasure, merely underlined an imperative realization. To play deeper into the playoffs, the Red Wings had to correct their problems at home.

There it is.  Oh, dealing with the boos sucks I suppose.  Although when the drive home takes you to million dollar mansions I kinda think the displeasure of the fan base is softened a bit.  No, Krupa nailed it when he told us the real reason:  if glory is to rest where we know it belongs, then winning at home is the only sure-fired recipe.  Home ice advantage. Not just in Round 1 or 2.  But 3 and then, by God, 4.  You want San Jose again?  Nifty. I’d like that too.  But I want them at the Joe when it matters the most.  Bow down to Gordie before you take that ice for Game 7, Joe.  Bow, bitch.

Streak or no streak.  Home ice all the way through is the ultimate goal.  8 wins at home in the postseason and we’re talking a real strong parade possibility.  10 and you can pack your coolers for a long, blissful day in downtown Hockeytown around 10 June.  Home ice is what we need and it’s the decree that rules all others.

Here’s a few other ditties, just to show you I pay attention:

Hank Zetterberg can go scoreless every game though mid-April. I don’t care.  He can float and he can coast.  Back check if he feels like it.  Shoot twice a game, all from 20 feet out. I don’t care.  I don’t care as long as Playoff Hank shows up when he’s supposed to.  I think he’s earned that.  I think he’s earned that benefit of the doubt.  I know what February does to us. I get it.  We stress, no matter what. Best record in the league. Greatest display of home dominance in hockey history.  Best team defense we’ve seen in three years.  Best goaltending we’ve seen since 2002 and probably even before that. But we’ll bitch because it’s all we know to do in February. The playoffs are too far away and too much can go wrong.  We were born to stress and stress we shall.  But until Henrik Zetterberg proves to me that he doesn’t have what it takes to lead this team when it matters the most, I’m inclined to cut him some slack.

Tick Tock Kenny Holland is not going to deal for a backup goaltender. Not now. Not in two weeks and, get this, not in two years.  Joey MacDonald’s your backup goalie for the long-term future.  If 15 million’s the number Holland has to spend at the deadline (and I saw that somewhere but have no link or any idea if it’s accurate. I may have dreamt it) not a cent is going toward a goaltender.  He needs a sniper and he knows it.  I’m still thinking it’s Selanne.

Finally, compared to special teams performance the identity of our backup goalie is a frigging speck in the milky way that it is the brain of one Michael Ophelius Babcock.  If that power play doesn’t get going and I mean going at a clip that sends sick chills down the spines of potential playoff enemies, nothing’s gonna matter anyway.  I don’t care what Boston did last year with their garbage power play.  The Wings are built to make dirty teams pay dearly.  Guys are gonna get run and the man-games lost are gonna be disgusting come May if power play goals don’t start becoming the norm instead of the exception.

It’s a Live Blog, bitches. And we’re running it way early so Primis and JJ can start anew.  You know the kids get scared when mom and dad are fighting.

21’s a nice number but flip that fucher around so we can let the puppies loose on Woodward.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›      Next »

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

The 2 more points tonite Wink? Or no Wink?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/14/12 at 10:34 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

My coming out party with the 19 and I’m firing more missed shots than Samuelsson ever did.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 10:34 PM ET

Aloha bitches.  It’s now 0433 CST and it feels like the fuching playoffs in here.  And, just FYI, I hate the fuching playoffs.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 02/14/12 at 07:34 PM ET

Davalos, Master Chief.  Stat.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/14/12 at 10:35 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I’ve pretty much stayed on the sidelines for this whole E52 debate, debacle or whatever we’re calling it.  I’m all for cleaning up the special teams play and hate the idea of those road games this season where the team simply didn’t show up, but hell it’s February and, like the Chief said, bitch we shall.  A big-time deadline acquisition that will bring us joy in June?  Sure, why not?  I’ve wanted it all along, but if it doesn’t happen?  Then we go into springtime with a team that will have a legit shot at the trophy.

The first car I learned to drive was a 72 Dodge Dart Swinger.  318 cu. inches under the hood and way more power than any sixteen year old kid really needed, but I loved the way it would haul ass on the highway.  My all-time favorite car though was the 1971 Dodge Charger 383 Magnum I drove back in high school.  That thar, boys and girls, was a beast on the open road that would pin your ass to the seat and make your eyes bulge outta their sockets when you stomped on the gas.  A true Deee-troit legend.

LGRW!!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/14/12 at 10:35 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 02/14/12 at 07:34 PM ET

Aloha! Com’on, Chief, They can’t make it easy. EARN THEM 21!

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/14/12 at 10:36 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

I’ve been watching through the peep hole for a long time.
I fit right in.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 07:27 PM ET

Is it just me or is that line delivered by Calquake in one of RWBill’s wet dreams (re-written by me)?

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/14/12 at 10:36 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

pregame song being sung

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 02/14/12 at 10:36 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

AAAAARRRRGHHHH projector fail

ugh…

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/14/12 at 10:38 PM ET

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 07:34 PM ET

Whiskey is a helluva drug…er…drink.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/14/12 at 10:38 PM ET

Trish's avatar

LGRW

Aloha Bitches.

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 02/14/12 at 10:38 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Ready bitches?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/14/12 at 10:38 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

The Wings just need to stop passing up so many shots from the circles, always looking for the shot from the point. Somebody has to WANT to score the goal and not always look to pass!

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 10:38 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Game On.

LGRW

No floating tonight, Mule.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/14/12 at 10:39 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

LGRW!!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/14/12 at 07:35 PM ET

Also have a 74 Charger 318 (same body style, more or less) in storage with a 360 in it’s trunk (yep, we’re desert Moparnats/rednecks). Pop’s 70 Challenger is the fam’s fave though…440 and retardedly dangerously fast.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/14/12 at 10:39 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

LGRW

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/14/12 at 10:39 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/14/12 at 07:36 PM ET

You sir… are an idiot. cheese  But I still like you anyway… in a Jerry Sandusky kind of way.

Posted by calquake on 02/14/12 at 10:39 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

Why is Murph wearing a tie that’s Dallas’s colors?

Is that bastard drun….....oh right.

Posted by Yzersyuk on 02/14/12 at 10:40 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

Whiskey is a helluva drug…er…drink.

Posted by
              SYF

from a “Bron-Y-Aur Stomp” on
              02/14/12 at 07:38 PM ET

As is vodka.
wink

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 10:40 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

JMac does not need to be handling the damn puck

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/14/12 at 10:40 PM ET

All right, I bite:  my first car was a ‘77 Plymouth Gran Fury station wagon with the 318.  Good times.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/14/12 at 10:40 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Yeah,  WTF Gabe? And Gramps needs to get his cranky ass in here.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 02/14/12 at 10:40 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Goddam early whistle.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/14/12 at 10:41 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

3 line, making hay - - again

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/14/12 at 10:41 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Early scrambling for them dirty goals. Who else but the 3rd line.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/14/12 at 10:41 PM ET

Ott still winning faceoffs against Dangles.  Must stop with that shit.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/14/12 at 10:42 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/14/12 at 07:39 PM ET

Awesome.  Total Mopar lifer myself.  Driving a 2002 Dakota 4.7L V-8 these days.  Giddy up!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/14/12 at 10:42 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Haha my first car was a red-orange ‘78 Nova four door….. in 2002.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/14/12 at 10:42 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

My first car was a 1987 Thunderbird Sport Coupe.
The wife killed it. May it rest in peace.
Er…soon to be ex-wife anyway.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 10:43 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

My first car was a Chevy Citation that I owned for exactly 40 hours before my dad sold it.  Alcohol may have been involved. I could have sworn I’ve told this story before.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 02/14/12 at 10:44 PM ET

Ken: Fistric.  Watch out for him.  Hard hitter.

You mean, “Cheap shot mutherfucher,” Ken.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/14/12 at 10:44 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Nice “D” Whitey

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/14/12 at 10:44 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

My first car was a 74 Buick Apollo. Back in 99

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/14/12 at 10:44 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Alcohol may have been involved. I could have sworn I’ve told this story before.

You did, you are getting “sometimers” Sailor.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/14/12 at 10:45 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Whatup biotches.  Did I see MO up in the mug?  You still around MO?

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 02/14/12 at 10:45 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Helm can fly. (ouch)

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/14/12 at 10:46 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/14/12 at 07:42 PM ET

Nice! My daily driver is a 2009 Avenger (went economy bc I’m still payin off student loans, but kept it a Detroit Import from Mopar) and Dad’s is the Megacab Ram Cummins. I say he’s compensating for something.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/14/12 at 10:46 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

3 line, making shit happen - -

Bab’s better keep these boys together

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/14/12 at 10:46 PM ET

brb, 19.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/14/12 at 10:46 PM ET

calquake's avatar

My first car had a saddle and reins. grin

Posted by calquake on 02/14/12 at 10:46 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

Oh Steve Ott’s out there.

Oh he likes to crash and bang

Oh hes always got something to say on the bench

Oh hes a fifty goal scorer.

I GIVE NO FUCHS.. FUCHIN pussy ass steve ott with his goddanm beady little eyes…

Posted by Yzersyuk on 02/14/12 at 10:47 PM ET