Abel to Yzerman

Want A Cup Of Joe?

Updated at 0141 15 Feb Carrier Standard Time: Herm asked in the comments below if I have a comment regarding a certain player I won’t type the name of who currently resides and plays in a certain pisspot of a town south of the border.  No comment now. No comment tomorrow or ever until providence delivers that big horse to our door.  I’ve jinxed so much for so long.  No. I won’t say it.  But, please, Tick Tock…just this once. Get Dombrowski on the phone if you have to. There. That’s all I’m gonna say about Rick Nash.

Win or lose tonite against the Original Bubba, one thing can’t be disputed: no Red Wing team has ever been as dominant at Joe Louis Arena as this team is right now, or has been this season.  Back when the 19 was just a gleam in the eyes of sinister bastards like RWBill and the elusive Gramps, the Joe was a house of sin.  Poor pathetic little sisters like St. Louis and Denver, Nashville and San Jose (remember when they couldn’t win a damn thing in our Manger?) feared the Joe because they knew they’d leave soiled and violated.

The last few years saw a change in that, though.  In dark corners of The Hasek we talked amongst ourselves and whispered the bad things. We wondered about motivation and grit and, ugh, leadership…as if we know a damn thing about what it takes to lead a hockey team. Oh, don’t get all redolent on me.  We all talked about it, and I probably spewed that garbage more than most. We wondered about The Swede and our Uncle Mike.  The last two years the Wings won more than they lost at home but big frigging deal.  Plenty of teams win more than they lose at home.

But the Wings haven’t dominated at the Joe like baby Jesus promised us they would.  Last year Detroit won 21 games at home. An interesting number considering what they’ll try to accomplish tonite…in February.  Think about that. Detroit goes for their 21st straight victory with two months left in the regular season. The streak itself would equal the number of games they won at home last year: period.  ‘09/10? 25 wins.  23 already this year.  27 home wins the year before that.  A number this year’s team should surpass no later than early, early March.

Something’s going on with this team, this year. Krupa, with his vocabulary, noticed it yesterday and wrote about it in between sonnets and Latin classes.  In yet another article that has me warily wondering if maybe he can’t be coined the new Anti-Digger, Krupa tells us this might be Detroit deciding getting booed in their own barn is just not the Wing way.

But the will to please their fans, or, at least not to hear their displeasure, merely underlined an imperative realization. To play deeper into the playoffs, the Red Wings had to correct their problems at home.

There it is.  Oh, dealing with the boos sucks I suppose.  Although when the drive home takes you to million dollar mansions I kinda think the displeasure of the fan base is softened a bit.  No, Krupa nailed it when he told us the real reason:  if glory is to rest where we know it belongs, then winning at home is the only sure-fired recipe.  Home ice advantage. Not just in Round 1 or 2.  But 3 and then, by God, 4.  You want San Jose again?  Nifty. I’d like that too.  But I want them at the Joe when it matters the most.  Bow down to Gordie before you take that ice for Game 7, Joe.  Bow, bitch.

Streak or no streak.  Home ice all the way through is the ultimate goal.  8 wins at home in the postseason and we’re talking a real strong parade possibility.  10 and you can pack your coolers for a long, blissful day in downtown Hockeytown around 10 June.  Home ice is what we need and it’s the decree that rules all others.

Here’s a few other ditties, just to show you I pay attention:

Hank Zetterberg can go scoreless every game though mid-April. I don’t care.  He can float and he can coast.  Back check if he feels like it.  Shoot twice a game, all from 20 feet out. I don’t care.  I don’t care as long as Playoff Hank shows up when he’s supposed to.  I think he’s earned that.  I think he’s earned that benefit of the doubt.  I know what February does to us. I get it.  We stress, no matter what. Best record in the league. Greatest display of home dominance in hockey history.  Best team defense we’ve seen in three years.  Best goaltending we’ve seen since 2002 and probably even before that. But we’ll bitch because it’s all we know to do in February. The playoffs are too far away and too much can go wrong.  We were born to stress and stress we shall.  But until Henrik Zetterberg proves to me that he doesn’t have what it takes to lead this team when it matters the most, I’m inclined to cut him some slack.

Tick Tock Kenny Holland is not going to deal for a backup goaltender. Not now. Not in two weeks and, get this, not in two years.  Joey MacDonald’s your backup goalie for the long-term future.  If 15 million’s the number Holland has to spend at the deadline (and I saw that somewhere but have no link or any idea if it’s accurate. I may have dreamt it) not a cent is going toward a goaltender.  He needs a sniper and he knows it.  I’m still thinking it’s Selanne.

Finally, compared to special teams performance the identity of our backup goalie is a frigging speck in the milky way that it is the brain of one Michael Ophelius Babcock.  If that power play doesn’t get going and I mean going at a clip that sends sick chills down the spines of potential playoff enemies, nothing’s gonna matter anyway.  I don’t care what Boston did last year with their garbage power play.  The Wings are built to make dirty teams pay dearly.  Guys are gonna get run and the man-games lost are gonna be disgusting come May if power play goals don’t start becoming the norm instead of the exception.

It’s a Live Blog, bitches. And we’re running it way early so Primis and JJ can start anew.  You know the kids get scared when mom and dad are fighting.

21’s a nice number but flip that fucher around so we can let the puppies loose on Woodward.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›      Next »

RWBill's avatar

1970 Dodge Dart.

That’s why I like playing Forza Motorsport 4 on xbox360.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/14/12 at 08:50 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

ANUS

ANUS

A**HOLE

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/14/12 at 08:54 PM ET

Not me, Jeff.

That’s why I like playing Forza Motorsport 4 on xbox360.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 02/14/12 at 06:50 PM ET

How is that game with the Kinect, Bill?  Except for the first FM, the rest of the FM games I have are all Ultimate Collector Editions - meaning they have ALL of the cars without having to go Live.  I thought I would get the Live cars on the UCE FM3 disc and I got pissed off.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/14/12 at 08:54 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

As much as the Guys have rightly not made much abooot this thing that is 4 hours away from being christened The Streak, or The Record, right aboot now I would be very surprised if Babs has not said something like, Men, we’re this close, let’s do something now that they can never take from us, something that 20,000 paying fans have come to see written in history.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/14/12 at 08:58 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Awesome the cat ass returns.  The only thing to make that post complete would be the cat-ass moon.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 02/14/12 at 08:59 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

love every bone in yer body,
especially mine.

You sick bastards.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/14/12 at 09:00 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Is that wood in that picture?

Or just in my pants.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/14/12 at 09:05 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Is that wood in that picture?

Or just in my pants.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 02/14/12 at 07:05 PM ET

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/14/12 at 09:06 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

So show of hands here…who has seen Doomsday Preppers and who thinks they’re nuts?

I’ve seen the commercials, and from what I’ve seen, some of those women could live off their own fat for 1000s of years. Yes, they are nuts.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/14/12 at 09:08 PM ET

You sick bastards.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 02/14/12 at 07:00 PM ET

The grapes?

Oh, THOSE grapes.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/14/12 at 09:09 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Is that wood in that picture?

Or just in my pants.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 02/14/12 at 07:05 PM ET

Yes to both?

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/14/12 at 09:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I don’t SYF, I don’t have the Kinect system, haven’t played that game online much so don’t have any feedback from those guys either.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/14/12 at 09:10 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

I almost never…NEVER….post here, but I have read every post since there were only 19 members on this blog. With tonight being such a redolent event, I had to come on and toss back a drink or two with everyone while the Wings kick the fuch outta them thar Stars. They got stars on thars, but the cup’ll be ours.
Yeah, Dr. Seuss can suck it too.
Fair weather and following winds, Chief, from a silent (usually) admirer.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 09:10 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

LMAO….drinking early.
That’d be fair winds and following seas.

Hey, I was Air Force, but I luv them squids like brothers.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 09:14 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

This is a good idea actually, peremptory masturbation before the game so Jeff won’t send me into the bathroom at intermission.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/14/12 at 09:16 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 02/14/12 at 07:16 PM ET

I’m sure that won’t tooooooo long…

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/14/12 at 09:17 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Welcome Thunderpriest, and thank you for your service to our country (well, for those of the 19 that are American).

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/14/12 at 09:18 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I hope the fans at the Joe are cheering and chanting the whole game like they did in Game 6 against the Sharts in the playoffs last season, and carry the team to #21 in a row at home!  Why not?  Let’s do it!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/14/12 at 09:18 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

HeyyOhhhhhh, what’s up ThunderPriest.  Now all we need is ChristPuncher back in this joint.  And Gabe.

Rumbear WTF is Gabe?  Few have such redolent crazed wit as Gabe.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/14/12 at 09:19 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Hola Bitches.  I saw this little ditty on the way home.  Thought you could use the comic relief.

Here’s to 20 straight at home!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/14/12 at 09:21 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Welcome Thunderpriest. I hope you don’t regret coming into the asylum.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/14/12 at 09:22 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Y’all are a trip. It’s why I love this place!

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/14/12 at 09:22 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Hey, I was Air Force, but I luv them squids like brothers.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 07:14 PM ET

Hey ho there my AF brother.  20 years and counting.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/14/12 at 09:24 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 07:14 PM ET

Cheers, welcome aboard.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/14/12 at 09:24 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 07:14 PM ET

Stick around, and don’t be shy!

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/14/12 at 09:26 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

Thanks, bitches!
Such a warm welcome from the 19. I might just shed a tear.
42Jeff…I feel for ya…I was stationed at Ellsworth for a few years. Bundle up!

Kate, I’ve been watching through the peep hole for a long time.
I fit right in.
wink

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 09:27 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 02/14/12 at 07:16 PM ET

I’m sure that won’t tooooooo long…

Posted by SYF from a “Bron-Y-Aur Stomp” on 02/14/12 at 07:17 PM ET

I’ll see what I can do.  Will be watching the game on the projector tonight so the wife may interfere.  Stinkin wife wanting to hang out with me on Valentine’s day?  What the hell woman..do yo NOT understand what’s at stake tonight?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/14/12 at 09:27 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

Well here we are bitches, gazing longingly at a golden toilet once again.

A golden toilet is useless, I know this, but I want that motherfucher.

Lets roll WINGS.

Posted by Yzersyuk on 02/14/12 at 09:27 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

42Jeff…I feel for ya…I was stationed at Ellsworth for a few years. Bundle up!

Kate, I’ve been watching through the peep hole for a long time.
I fit right in.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 07:27 PM ET

Winter this year has been amazingly mild.  Hit damn 40 today and we have no snow on the ground save for some shady spots around buildings.  Absolutely creepy.

Really only had a few days below zero and i was TDY to Whiteman for all of those smile

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/14/12 at 09:28 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Game time. I’m in.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/14/12 at 09:29 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

I can’t stand that the game is on OLN…Vers…NBC….what the fuch ever this piss poor station is called these days.
Thanks, Gary.Ass!

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 09:29 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I heard through the grape vine about the Wings being interested in Paul Gaustad from the Sabers.. 6’5 and likes to hit.. Interesting.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/14/12 at 09:29 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

42…yeah, been a nice mild winter here in Motown, too. Only had snow for a few days, but that’s all I’m saying about that….no need to jinx it for anyone.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 09:31 PM ET

Well here we are bitches, gazing longingly at a golden toilet once again.

A golden toilet is useless, I know this, but I want that motherfucher.

Lets roll WINGS.

Posted by Yzersyuk on 02/14/12 at 07:27 PM ET

Rock, paper, and scissors.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/14/12 at 09:31 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

Bahahahaha….I’m complaining about the channel, and it’s actually on FSD2.
You’d think I was as hammered as Murph.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 09:32 PM ET

FSD Feed.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/14/12 at 09:32 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Bahahahaha….I’m complaining about the channel, and it’s actually on FSD2.
You’d think I was as hammered as Murph.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 02/14/12 at 07:32 PM ET

He’s been marinating since this morning… that amount of booze would kill any other man.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/14/12 at 09:33 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

do yo NOT understand what’s at stake tonight?

ya, i mean two points are on the line.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 02/14/12 at 09:33 PM ET

Love for JMac.  Steal this, Tracker.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/14/12 at 09:33 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Aloha bitches.  It’s now 0433 CST and it feels like the fuching playoffs in here.  And, just FYI, I hate the fuching playoffs.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 02/14/12 at 09:34 PM ET