Abel to Yzerman

Video- The Talk After Today’s Practice

Andreas Athanasiou is up first and below is Gustav Nyquist, Nick Jensen and Jeff Blashill.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser is expected to miss four-to-six weeks following the left hand injury he suffered in Tuesday’s 6-5 shootout loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning at Little Caesars Arena….

Coach Jeff Blashill said surgery was possible. They were waiting for results of a CT scan.

Blashill said they might recall a defenseman from Grand Rapids following the Griffins’ game tonight against San Antonio. The Red Wings have six healthy defensemen heading into Thursday’s game at Toronto (7 p.m., Fox Sports Detroit)...

If they recall someone, it might be Joe Hicketts or Libor Sulak, someone who can kill penalties. Blashill said it won’t be Filip Hronek, whose specialty is the power play.

“With Filip, we would just focus on him getting better right now,” Blashill said. “When he went down there, he’s played fine but he hasn’t played great. We want him to get playing great.

“Generally, it doesn’t make much sense with a young guy like that to call up if they’re not playing great down there. He’s got to get his game to where he feels great about his game before he comes up, especially facing offense like (Toronto’s).

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/05/18 at 02:05 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

I’d love to see Sulak and his jump with the new-look (ie, playing with some confidence) big club.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 12/05/18 at 03:00 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 12/05/18 at 03:00 PM ET

Agree. He big, fast, and young.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/18 at 05:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I said back when they started going on a bit of a winning streak here that I thought it would last until they got some injuries, and then they’d just fold.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised that they haven’t actually folded.  I think the losing skid is still going to hit soon with injuries, but…. maybe not nearly as bad of one as I’d originally expected.

“Generally, it doesn’t make much sense with a young guy like that to call up if they’re not playing great down there.”

I take real umbrage with this statement, because he says that Hronek isn’t playing great so he won’t call him up… so instead they’ll call up Sulak or Hicketts who have been “fine”, but not great.  Makes no sense whatsoever and TBH is kinda’ a double-standard.

Posted by Primis on 12/06/18 at 07:36 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I don’t think its because Hronek is not playing well. Must be another reason.

He leads all Dmen in goals and points and is a plus 8. From what I saw last night and the handful of other games I have seen this season, he is GRG best Dman.

BTW, Zadina is a team worst minus 8.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/06/18 at 08:16 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

he is GRG best Dman.

He’s certainly their best offensive defenseman. Sulak and Hicketts are still better defensively, though. With DK and Daley out, the Wings need a defenseman that can take some of those guys’ minutes and play the PK. If Cholowski or Green was injured, they’d probably be calling up Hronek.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 12/06/18 at 08:32 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 12/06/18 at 08:32 AM ET

HockeyFreak,

I am curious how you came up with your assertion on who is the better Defensive Dmen. I am being an ass, I seriously would like to know.

If you look at stats, Hronek has been on the PK as much if not more than Sulak and Hicketts.

Thanks

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/06/18 at 09:09 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

*** I am not being ass! Cannot walk and chew gum today. : )

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/06/18 at 09:14 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

I watch games and I form an opinion, usually.

And I don’t see anything related to PK time on that link you provided.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 12/06/18 at 10:01 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Sulak did not play well in the regular season, he turned a lot of pucks over, he got the least amount of ice time, and was the first one to go down.  I know he’s big and skates north and south and all, but I would just caution you all on your love affair with this prospect, I’m not sure he’s going to be a regular NHL dman like say Hronek will be. Even if he is, he has 3rd pair ceiling IMO.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 12/06/18 at 12:14 PM ET

Primis's avatar

And then Holland goes and calls up Lashoff.  Which I guess both explain it all, and somehow still explains nothing, both at the same time.

Posted by Primis on 12/06/18 at 03:14 PM ET