Abel to Yzerman

Vaccinations

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The Detroit Red Wings are taking advantage of having access to the COVID-19 vaccine.

The pandemic ripped through the locker room on opening weekend, forcing five players into quarantine. One spent training camp dealing with it — and that’s left him leaning toward postponing getting the vaccine until after the season ends.

The majority of Wings players, the coaching staff and other staff within the so-called team bubble have been vaccinated, including head coach Jeff Blashill.

“I have empathy for anybody around the world that doesn’t have access to it,” Blashill said Tuesday. “It’s beyond the NHL and bigger than the NHL. We feel fortunate that we have access to it. There’s countries in the world that do and some that don’t have as much, and I feel empathy for any of those.”

continued

Below, watch Darren Helm and coach Blashill after the morning skate.

Helm

Blashill

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today reassigned left wing Mathias Brome and defensemen Dennis Cholowski and Gustav Lindstrom to the team’s taxi squad from the American Hockey League’s Grand Rapids Griffins.

Brome appeared in two games with the Griffins after he was reassigned to the team on March 29 and picked up his first two AHL points (1-1-2). The 26-year-old has also skated in 24 games with the Red Wings this season, recording one goal and eight penalty minutes in 13:33 average time on ice.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/06/21 at 02:57 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I encourage everyone to go get the shot. I got the Pfizer and didn’t notice any side effects.

So Brome needs more games so he can be exposed in the expansion draft?

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/06/21 at 03:14 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

2 defenseman brought up might mean a trade of one or two of the vets is in the works?

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/06/21 at 03:16 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I do not do vaccines. I would not advocate for or against. When I was ten, the City gave out booster ahots (vaccines). Out of six of my friends three of us had severe reactions. I ended up in the hospital for two weeks. One drag his left leg for a year the other died of a brain hemorrhage. Maybe coincidental.

Those vaccines were supposedly well studied. For many years.

Tom Hearns sent a tweet when Marvin Hagler ended up in the hospital due to the Covid vaccine.

Do your own research. Do not believe the crazy conspiracies if you can. But educate yourself.on the many issues with vaccines. MMR has been proven (then covered up) link to Autism.

Be smart. Be informed. Be well.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 04/06/21 at 05:27 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Do not get medical advice from a hockey blog and it’s comment section, that much is certain.

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 04/06/21 at 05:51 PM ET

Amen

Posted by JL72 on 04/06/21 at 06:06 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

My wife works in the Radiation department at the hospital here and she won’t come close to taking it. Take that with a grain of salt. But I will not be taking it. And I am quite sure I’ve been exposed many many time as I work with the public. The countless number of times someone has coughed on me and whatnot.. if I were going g to catch it I’d have had it. Mind you I do get my temperature still checked everyday for work. Most people don’t do that anymore.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 04/06/21 at 06:25 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

My Wife and I received our second Moderna shot today. I would take it, rather than catching the virus at our age. gulp

Posted by bigfrog on 04/06/21 at 06:50 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I’ve had 2 vaccines in my life. Polio in 1963 and J&J in 2021. I’m more than willing to be a science project if it will help others in the long run. Most people my age lived through measles, mumps, etc because there were no vaccines way back then.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 04/06/21 at 07:28 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

You are right - I made a mistake - You should consult your doctor. If you do find a doctor that says you are better off catching the virus than taking the vaccine let me know.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/06/21 at 09:12 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I should rephrase that last sentence. There was not mass vaccination for childhood diseases in the early 50s like there are today.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 04/06/21 at 09:29 PM ET

d ca's avatar

I don’t care what Q beliefs you hold or if you think the Earth is flat, or that mRNA will alter your DNA: there will always be morons. You want to expose yourself or people you care about to potentially life-threatening disease: that’s on your conscience—just stay away from anyone I care about. But I will point out BS every time:

Read it for yourself. No cover-up. No BS beliefs. Science.

Working in the Radiation Dept is not the same as having a medical degree please don’t imply else-wise. I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express too.

Beyond the science:
Your employer can fire you for not having a vaccine—unless you are employed by a CBA (in other words are represented by a union), have an underlying health condition, or sincerely-held document-able conflicting religious beliefs (“the employer would be justified in requesting additional supporting information”). In other states there could be additional protections. But if you are fired in Michigan because of this, you do not get to collect unemployment. It will be considered gross misconduct. In some other states you can collect.

Say your employer doesn’t want to do that. They can make you take a unpaid leave of absence under FMLA for 12 weeks. There goes any emergency fund for most people.

Read it for yourself:

JUST REMEMBER THIS: Special groups of people cannot be vaccinated, including those with compromised immune systems (e.g. those with leukemia or other cancers) and those with severe allergic reaction to any ingredient of the vaccine. These people rely on the general public being vaccinated so their risk of exposure is reduced.
These compromised people have to get medical care they can’t simply hide in their homes. And we all know what John and Jane Doe will do when they get seriously sick from COVID—run to the nearest ER room for help: at which point you are endangering people that I care about.

So go talk to your doctor, tele-doctor, or the CDC hotline 1-800-232-4636. . I am 99.9% sure they will tell you what I am about to: if you are eligible and medically-able: take the vaccine. That’s medical information you can take from a hockey board.

Posted by d ca on 04/07/21 at 02:17 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

That’s medical information you can take from a hockey board.

Posted by d ca on 04/07/21 at 02:17 AM ET

This.

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 04/07/21 at 02:41 PM ET