Abel to Yzerman

Two Bones Left To Be Chewed And Then All Bets Are Off

The interns were excited yesterday.  Little tykes. Children really.  On loan from institutions like Grand Valley State, Saginaw Valley, Northern Michigan and Ferris (oddly, the only schools willing to take a chance in 1987 on a young Irishman fresh off a straight C career at Saginaw’s Arthur Hill High School). They knew the import of last night’s game, how critical it was to the psyche of the 19…a fragile thing during the best of times.  The interns met early, shook off their wine cooler hangovers and refined their pitch.  By 2pm they were unified and rosy cheeked, gathered in the A2Y outer office, waiting for their moment to convince the Chief that the time had come to discard the doubts.

One by one I chastised them.  It wasn’t the time for optimism. Happiness had no place in our hearts yesterday.  Beating the ferocious Blues in St. Louis was too tall an order and one that shouldn’t be entertained by the likes of level-headed us.  But they wore me down and by 6pm the live blog had posted and we’d danced on the limb.  Mule would be the Moose.  James Tiberius MF’ing Howard would return to form. Our swirling saucer of magic would lead us and even a tall boy named Jonny would remind us of the hope we had for him back in 2009, or was it ‘08?  Somehow, the interns saw all this and they promised me that if I’d just show a few phrases of faith, I’d be rewarded.

So the LB went up and the Stress Train left the station for what we hope will be a long Spring journey into a Southern Michigan Summer.  Predictions were published and that’s always a hinky proposition.  We said that game 80 was precisely the kind of game the Wings would win because they’re, well, the Wings.  We predicted a victory because the Blues are, well, bitches.

When the Wings gave up the inevitable shorty I fired every intern in the building. I told them to pack their miserable sacks of shit and banished them from A2Y headquarters.  Two minutes later I posted every one of their resumes on St. Louis Game Time, declaring them fit for duty on that piss pot of a blog.

But then Moose became Mule again.  Twice.  The Wings tied it up and I brought the interns back in and gave them milk.  We went to OT and baby Jesus told us we’d have our 12th (yes…12th) consecutive 100 point season.  And then a Killer on the Road took a slow ditty to the crease and delivered a backhanded bitch slap to Blues fans everywhere and that was good.

And now, like Gordo told us, there are bones left to be chewed. Two of them.  Just two and then the torture starts.  Stay healthy. That’s all we can hope for. We can’t expect a dramatically improved power play because that’s just not going to happen.  We can hope the offense picks up, that Franzen will somehow stay hot (and holy Hell he looked good in the third).

The interns are less optimistic today, of course. They tell me that after last night, tonite is exactly the kind of games the Wings lose.  We know that’s just raw logic.

It’s a trap game of a Live Blog, bitches.  Your emotions are now allowed to get the best, or worst, of you.  Start now.  Work your way into it, because in less than a week we’re all going to be worthless.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›      Next »

we dont need no stinking lead

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/05/12 at 07:54 PM ET

I’ve come to expect that from this team.  How ridiculous I feel that way.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/05/12 at 09:57 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Just checking in.  How they looked so far?

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/05/12 at 07:56 PM ET

Great, up until about a minute ago…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/05/12 at 09:57 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Whoever kept putting E52 on the ice that much last night was under the influence of shrooms?

Not a lot of people know this about Uncle Mike.  He also listens to Leonard Cohen records late at night, often in the throes of an opium stupor.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/05/12 at 09:58 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Just checking in.  How they looked so far?
Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/05/12 at 07:56 PM ET

They dominated the first ten. Then they forgot how to play D. Jimmy bailed them out once, but not a second time.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/05/12 at 09:58 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

A lead? I plum forgot what that is.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/05/12 at 07:56 PM ET

It’s a substance known to the state of California to cause Cancer.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/05/12 at 09:58 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

That’s a stupid commercial

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/05/12 at 09:58 PM ET

Prince Fielder, 1-3, 1 RBI.

Not a bad debut with the Tigers.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/05/12 at 09:59 PM ET

Wings fourth line buzzing like crazy saws.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/05/12 at 10:01 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Prince Fielder, 1-3, 1 RBI.
Not a bad debut with the Tigers.
Posted by SYF from fashionista dougie’s newly violated Droid 4G on 04/05/12 at 07:59 PM ET

The only Tigers to have bad days today were Leyland and Valverde.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/05/12 at 10:01 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Prince Fielder, 1-3, 1 RBI, two hot-dogs, one popcorn and three $8 beers.

Fixed.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/05/12 at 10:01 PM ET

brb, 19.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/05/12 at 10:01 PM ET

calquake's avatar

A lead? I plum forgot what that is.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/05/12 at 07:56 PM ET

It’s a substance known to the state of California to cause Cancer.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/05/12 at 07:58 PM ET

Hence the record of the Ducks this year.

Posted by calquake on 04/05/12 at 10:02 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Zebra suckage.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/05/12 at 10:02 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

That’s a stupid commercial

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/05/12 at 07:58 PM ET

Can’t argue with that.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/05/12 at 10:02 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Maybe I shoulda stayed away.  They were great until I showed up, apparently.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/05/12 at 10:02 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Maybe I shoulda stayed away.  They were great until I showed up, apparently.
Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/05/12 at 08:02 PM ET

Gamewrecker.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/05/12 at 10:03 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

For as well as DET has played so far, they only have 4 SOG and a post

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/05/12 at 10:03 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Found on Puck Daddy.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 04/05/12 at 07:20 PM ET

I took the liberty of trolling the comments on that video.  Your welcome.

Whats up bitches?  This team had too good of a first period to be trailing.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/05/12 at 10:04 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

For as well as DET has played so far, they only have 4 SOG and a post
Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/05/12 at 08:03 PM ET

Like all of us have known for a while, need more shoot.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/05/12 at 10:04 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Jimmy whips out his dong - - nice

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/05/12 at 10:05 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I don’t know why I hate baseball so much, but I do. I couldn’t care less about The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Fielder…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/05/12 at 10:05 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

They should dress that PK for the PP.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/05/12 at 10:05 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Puck never leaves the zone and the Devils somehow end up with a two on zero down low against the Red Wing PK.  That’s shockingly inept.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/05/12 at 10:06 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Puck rolled off Franzen’s stick LMAO.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/05/12 at 10:06 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Franzen - - puck rolls off his stick

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/05/12 at 10:06 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s cool that he’s Cecil’s son and all…

sURPRISE—THE PUCK ROLLED OFF fRANZEN’S STICK

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/05/12 at 10:08 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 04/05/12 at 08:05 PM ET

I feel ya man, the only way I could care less about baseball was if it was played with a basketball… on a court.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/05/12 at 10:08 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/05/12 at 08:08 PM ET

A-freaking-men.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/05/12 at 10:09 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Aside from the first 5-7 minutes, DET has looked like crap

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/05/12 at 10:10 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Late to the party and still at work. Doors are locked the real attorney beverage cabinet is open.  Breezed thru the LB and this..

Wow.  E52 with a great defensive play.

...my eye did catch.

Strange times indeed.  How’s the rest of the team a looking?

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 04/05/12 at 10:10 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Is it just me or isn’t a wrist shot taken quickly that gets through better than a slapper that gets blocked?

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/05/12 at 10:10 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/05/12 at 08:10 PM ET

Generally, yes, but not always…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/05/12 at 10:11 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Pavel’s magic and a couple stellar saves are about the only good thing so far.

Sounds like a rewind from last night.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/05/12 at 10:13 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Well, that was beige.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/05/12 at 10:13 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Well, I feel like a rih-tard—for the life of me, I couldn’t figure out who Mursak was in for.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/05/12 at 10:18 PM ET

Morel-high ground

honest-food(dot)net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/morel-horizontal.jpg

Posted by Alex on 04/05/12 at 10:19 PM ET

Cleary

Posted by Alex from San Francisco on 04/05/12 at 10:21 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

and I thought me having acute bronchitis sucks, 6 shots by the detroit red wings.  I don’t want to live on this planet anymore

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 04/05/12 at 10:22 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Murph - - what do the Wings have to do?

I dunno - - maybe shoot the fuching puck?  That might help.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/05/12 at 10:22 PM ET