Abel to Yzerman

Tick Tock’s Summer Just Got Hotter

Updated below (@1310) after I had a chance to think more about the Semin signing, and get angrier.

On the contrary, I feel we should all freak the f**k out.

And no, I’m not kidding.

Semin’s off the market and our Tick Tock’s in deep trouble.

The details are right there in front of you, so I won’t re-hash them.  You’ve read it all summer, after several months of virtual guarantees from Ken Holland that this wouldn’t happen.  You can go along and get along all you want, but the fact remains that—at the most optimistic—this is the worst period in Wings history since pre-Yzerman.

And, you’re damn right, I’ve elected to lose it.  Now, don’t get scared. My family’s safe. The law hasn’t been called.  All is well, relatively speaking.

Suter, Parise, Semin: gone.  All the UFA defensemen: gone.  The second tier forwards: gone.

Nash: traded, but not to Detroit.  Weber: offer sheet tendered, but not by Detroit.

No, this is not a sign that the Wings are no longer a destination of choice.  This is, very simply, a failure by management.  Abject, absolute, asinine failure.  This summer has been nothing short of incompetence.  Holland knew Lidstrom was leaving and did nothing, and that’s a very raw but true statement, to compensate. Not replace, just compensate.  And it’s his job to do so.  Failure.

Shane Doan is no longer a nice-to-have.  He’s now a necessity.  Not just because the Wings need his grit, leadership, scoring.  Ken Holland needs that signing to rescue his own credibility.  Doan needs to happen to save this fan base from implosion. And if you think Holland doesn’t realize that, you’re mistaken.

Semin for 7 is gross.  But it’s one year.  I wonder if he would have taken 6 per year for 2 years?  Well, Kenny?

Something’s broken in Hockeytown and it’s turning what should have been a glorious summer into a steaming pile of horse shit.

It’s down to Doan, Kenny.

And, oh yeah, it’s not like Stuart’s departure was a surprise either.  Garrison, Wideman, Carle, Salo….gone. And we’ve got what as our top pairing? Kronwall and….White?

If this is true….

Khan(!!!)

Semin’s agent, Todd Diamond, told M-Live.com that he had only one conversation with the Detroit Red Wings.
“It never got serious with them,’’ Diamond said.

Hi. That’s just negligence. If that’s true? Negligence.  At this stage Ken Holland didn’t have the luxury of selecting only those players who “fit the Wing mold.”  No. At this stage it’s down to signing talent to short-term deals and hoping they adapt.  Never got serious?

Oh, it’s motherfuching serious now isn’t it?

One consolation in this Summer of Ass Pain?  Only this: nobody in the Central has done jack squat either.  Stagnancy and ineptitude all around.  Hooray for the Norris.

Whatever.  I’m not giving up but I’m not giving in.  Doan signs in Detroit I’m happy as a school girl. But if he signs elsewhere, there’s going to be a change in tone around here.  Kenny’s gonna have some explaining to do and I don’t really give a shit if his impotence this summer has been out of caution due to a new CBA.  Labor strife didn’t stop Fletcher or Rutherford or Sather.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >       Next »

GrahamWIIM's avatar

there are some significant advantages to a one year playoff hiatus

Including having zero chance to win the Cup.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 07/26/12 at 05:36 PM ET

To contextualize (?) our feelings: it’s not about this summer.

Since 2009, gone are Hossa, Kopecky, Samuelsson, Maltby, Rafalski, Draper, Osgood, Lidstrom, Stuart, Hudler twice.

To replace them? Bertuzzi, Williams, Eaves, Miller, Brad May, Salei, White, and a bunch of bottom-six kids.

Oh, and the trades. Leino for Tollefsen (?), Commodore and a 1st for Quincey.

Seriously, what the hell.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/26/12 at 05:37 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Inhale deeply; count to five; exhale; re-light joint; repeat/quote]

What did you say?

Posted by calquake on 07/26/12 at 05:41 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

There is no one (or two or three) D-Men out there that can shore up Detroit’s depleted defense corps. There is no UFA/RFA calvalry coming to save the day. All we have are Kronner, White, E-52 and a bunch of unproven, wet-behind-the-ears youngins. Oh and Quitcy.

Hopefully, Uncle Mike is half as good as most of you seem to think he is and he plays whatever season there is for a good draft pick. Platoon the heck out of Jimmah instead of riding him hard. Play all the kids on defense a lot of minutes. And when the season is over collect our prize, Seth Jones, Nathan MacKinnon, Sasha Barkov or Hunter Shinkaruk.

This ain’t Debbie Downer or negative Nellie talk, it’s just the cold hard truth. As has been said by others here, you can’t take a 5th place team (in conf.) subtract the best D-man in the last 50 years, subtract another top-4 D-man, fail to add any veteran D-men and expect to finish in the top 8. And unless you have a team capable of making it to the second round or farther, you’d be better off missing the playoffs entirely and missing them BIG time to hit that lotto of the bottom 5 teams that gets a shot at the first pick.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/26/12 at 05:43 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t really have anything new to say, but I have an overwhelming desire to say something.

That’s not a passive-aggressive shot at anybody, BTW. That’s actually how I feel.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/26/12 at 05:44 PM ET

calquake's avatar

And there’s also this: man, I’m tired of reading people telling me how I’m supposed to think and react.  If I want to panic? I’m gonna panic. If I want to flip out, well I’m going to flip out.  Lots of people are using this summer as an opportunity to get way, way up on this super high very tall skyscraping horse. I’m getting a little sick of it.

I’m getting this tattooed on my backside.

You sir… must have a very large backside… or a very talented ink master.

Posted by calquake on 07/26/12 at 05:44 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Inhale deeply; count to five; exhale; re-light joint; repeat/quote]

I had a rough night, and I hate the *#$%@& Eagles, man.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/26/12 at 05:45 PM ET

PANIC IN HOCKEYTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by old bit siren from airwaves on 07/26/12 at 05:45 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I’m personally not heartbroken that Semin is gone. He’s not worth seven million bucks. I’m bothered by the lack of fortitude put forth from Kenny to get something done.

Oh… and…

Posted by phillyphever on 07/26/12 at 04:09 PM ET

No one said you had to come here. If you don’t like what you’re reading, feel free to move on.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/26/12 at 05:45 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Just going to reiterate, people aggrivation with Kenny isn’t that the team sucks.. it’s that he’s not giving them the best opportunity he can for them to win it all.. which is what a GM’s job is.  Coach’s is to get them on the same sheet of music.  If he wouldn’t have worked out, I’m 100% sure we could’ve traded him.  But don’t take criticism of Kenny Holland as proof positive we hate the team.  Just mad the guy who puts it together didn’t do EVERYTHING he could to make them better.

That’s why he’s been covering his ass with, we have a plan a) plan b) plan 2) plan 3) shit..  at the same time telling you, you can’t really plan for it things happen so fast you just react, you got about 15 minutes to make most decisions.

Well, he didn’t execute any plans they might have had, and he had more than 15 minutes to decide to add Semin, and he talked to his agent once (who’s not Grandler evidently, never even thought to verify that) and we all thought it was the term we couldn’t commit to, but he signed one year.  Rumors he’d have taken 2 for 10?  That’s what we all thought the price would be in the first place, and seems like a FAIR price and term.  So why are the Cane’s making this deal and not the Wings when we still have the same amount of cap space as when we were persuing the top 2 UFA’s this summer?

Doesn’t make sense except for a big ol’ “WHOOOOPS, My bad”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/26/12 at 05:46 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/26/12 at 05:50 PM ET

monkey's avatar

BRETT LEBDA IS STILL AVAILABLE

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/26/12 at 05:51 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

BRETT LEBDA IS STILL AVAILABLE

Posted by monkey from bunting for Nash on 07/26/12 at 04:51 PM ET

*#$%@& THAT, GIMME COMMODORE

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/26/12 at 05:52 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

BRETT LEBDA IS STILL AVAILABLE
Posted by monkey from bunting for Nash on 07/26/12 at 04:51 PM ET

SEE! That’s what I’m talking about! Embrace the Season of Suckage! Lebda would almost singlehandly insure a bottom 5 finish.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/26/12 at 05:53 PM ET

GrahamWIIM's avatar

You sir… must have a very large backside… or a very talented ink master.

I choose not to respond to this on advice of counsel.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 07/26/12 at 06:02 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

The lack of hunger with the players the past 2 years in the spring is apparently catching on to Tick-tock this summer. This listlessness in now affecting from upper management on down.
Does Kenny have a STFU switch?  Flip that bitch. Now

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/26/12 at 06:02 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

BRETT LEBDA IS STILL AVAILABLE

Hey yeah, he’s familiar with the team and system, just like Quincey.

We’re gettin the band back together.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/26/12 at 06:03 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I can guarantee Pasha gave them a big nyet

No you the fvck cannot.  To suggest this is reasonable, to assume it asinine, and to fvcking guarantee is very annoying.  Blarg!

The summer of Ken must be next year.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/26/12 at 06:04 PM ET

Crow's avatar

Well, let’s look on the bright side.  A top three pick in next year’s entry draft may be a possibility.

Posted by Crow on 07/26/12 at 06:05 PM ET

calquake's avatar

We’re gettin the band back together.

I’m going to have to brush up on my heroin etiquette.

Posted by calquake on 07/26/12 at 06:07 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/26/12 at 05:04 PM ET

Just as guaranteeing ANYTHING when nobody has any inside knowledge whatsoever is annoying…

... it’s a slippery *#$%@& slope, and too many people tend to want to slide right down it without thinking that there might be other possibilities out there…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/26/12 at 06:07 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Crack out the baby oil, baby.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/26/12 at 06:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I guarantee I’m drinking tonight.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/26/12 at 06:10 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

We’re gettin the band back together.
I’m going to have to brush up on my heroin etiquette.
Posted by calquake on 07/26/12 at 05:07 PM ET

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/26/12 at 06:11 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I guarantee I’m drinking tonight.
Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/26/12 at 05:10 PM ET

VooX? VooX? Anybody seen VooX?
Never a bartender around when you need one.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/26/12 at 06:15 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I particularly enjoyed the “Things You’ll Need” section as they mention cotton swabs, bleach and an autoclave.  And I know we all have an autoclave laying around the house… or in the garage.

Posted by calquake on 07/26/12 at 06:16 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

And I know we all have an autoclave laying around the house… or in the garage.

Obviously you don’t tattoo people with hockey-related text out of your home.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/26/12 at 06:18 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I have an older model manualclave, but yeah.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/26/12 at 06:19 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by calquake on 07/26/12 at 05:16 PM ET

I can loan you our spare one if you need it.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/26/12 at 06:20 PM ET

Case in point.  How’s it feel up there telling the rest of us precisely how we should react to this?

I don’t particularly care how you react to it, though.  All I am doing is pointing out you’re reacting in a way I find more plaintive than substantive.  As I said earlier, there’s always going to be a portion of a fanbase that reacts they way you’re reacting, so if you want to run around howling about short-term stuff like this, hey, spectacular.

It’s not like I would stop you even if I could.

And I wouldn’t be “hyperventilating” if Holland hadn’t publicly spoken for months about how “aggressive” the Wings would be this summer.

He was aggressive.  He made a huge offer to Suter, a big offer to Parise, he tried to initiate a trade dialogue with Columbus and allegedly beat the offer Howson accepted, he tried to make a trade for Weber, he’s made an offer to Doan, he signed Gustavsson, he signed Tootoo, he signed Sammy…

Unless there’s something in the CBA I’ve missed, I don’t think outright kidnapping is an option.  Short of that, I don’t think it’s terribly fair to blame Holland because guys chose to sign elsewhere or GMs chose to take less to trade elsewhere.  Holland has made good, sensible offers to players and GMs, and I have a really hard time finding fault that he didn’t make dumber, less sensible offers to players and GMs just to land a scalp more than he has.

But whatever.  If someone is binary enough about this kind of issue, I suppose they can just look at that and go ‘So what.  The realities don’t matter.  He either gets guys or not gets guys, so Holland failed.’

In the event there’s a chance that any kind of non-confirming reality can seep in, however, let me throw something out there:  What if the cap’s 15 mil lower next year?  Does that impact your decision making at all on this issue?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/26/12 at 06:20 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/26/12 at 05:20 PM ET

The only reality that matters is the product that is put on the ice. Everything else is just an excuse.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/26/12 at 06:23 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

I have an older model manualclave, but yeah.

Bruce Wayne has a Batclave.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/26/12 at 06:24 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Does that impact your decision making at all on this issue?

No, because I can always borrow Monkeys’ manualclave if I change my mind. cheese

Posted by calquake on 07/26/12 at 06:26 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Good and sensible is fine if you’re hosting a *#$%@& cooking show.

They didn’t offer any player they courted the biggest contract… couldn’t sell them on home.. all they’ve been trying to sell is 21 straight playoffs.

You gotta spend money to make money.

Good and sensible doesn’t always get results.

I’m a results motivated person, just like the Wings claim they are.  W’s are currency right?>

Can’t believe I’m actually agreeing that if we dont’ ahve a team that can get past the 2nd.. it’d be more advantageous to get the higher draft pick.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/26/12 at 06:28 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

What if the cap’s 15 mil lower next year?

Then you say, “oh well, we brought Semin in for 7.5 (ie no assets), and then we dumped him for next to nothing (ie some asset).

Pretty fvcking easy.  This constant bargain-hunting shxt is not consistent with a great franchise.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/26/12 at 06:31 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I guarantee I’m drinking tonight.

What if a martial law drill goes down in your neighborhood?
See…..never guarantee.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/26/12 at 06:33 PM ET

That’s a little too short term of an approach for me, but like I said there will always be portions of any fanbase that only (or mostly) look at the upcoming season and pay a lot less attention to years down the road.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/26/12 at 06:33 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/26/12 at 05:28 PM ET

Another convert.

The only way to improve in the salary cap era is to suck for a year or two or three. The ‘08 Cup was won on the strength of a team built in the pre-cap era. Now that we are seven years into the cap era, all of the pre-cap era advantages are gone and the Wings are going to have to go through periods of suckage like everyone else in order to get a 3-4 year window with a chance to win the Cup.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/26/12 at 06:34 PM ET

Cal's avatar

Are Danny Markov and his vodka drip available?

Posted by Cal on 07/26/12 at 06:36 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

What if a martial law drill goes down in your neighborhood?
See…..never guarantee.

Then I’m not drinking and everybody who says they no longer trust my personal guarantee can either accept the excuse or choose to never believe me again as it comes to my self-proclaimed drinking proclivities.

Guaranteeing something isn’t that serious.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/26/12 at 06:38 PM ET