Abel to Yzerman

Tick Tock’s Summer Just Got Hotter

Updated below (@1310) after I had a chance to think more about the Semin signing, and get angrier.

On the contrary, I feel we should all freak the f**k out.

And no, I’m not kidding.

Semin’s off the market and our Tick Tock’s in deep trouble.

The details are right there in front of you, so I won’t re-hash them.  You’ve read it all summer, after several months of virtual guarantees from Ken Holland that this wouldn’t happen.  You can go along and get along all you want, but the fact remains that—at the most optimistic—this is the worst period in Wings history since pre-Yzerman.

And, you’re damn right, I’ve elected to lose it.  Now, don’t get scared. My family’s safe. The law hasn’t been called.  All is well, relatively speaking.

Suter, Parise, Semin: gone.  All the UFA defensemen: gone.  The second tier forwards: gone.

Nash: traded, but not to Detroit.  Weber: offer sheet tendered, but not by Detroit.

No, this is not a sign that the Wings are no longer a destination of choice.  This is, very simply, a failure by management.  Abject, absolute, asinine failure.  This summer has been nothing short of incompetence.  Holland knew Lidstrom was leaving and did nothing, and that’s a very raw but true statement, to compensate. Not replace, just compensate.  And it’s his job to do so.  Failure.

Shane Doan is no longer a nice-to-have.  He’s now a necessity.  Not just because the Wings need his grit, leadership, scoring.  Ken Holland needs that signing to rescue his own credibility.  Doan needs to happen to save this fan base from implosion. And if you think Holland doesn’t realize that, you’re mistaken.

Semin for 7 is gross.  But it’s one year.  I wonder if he would have taken 6 per year for 2 years?  Well, Kenny?

Something’s broken in Hockeytown and it’s turning what should have been a glorious summer into a steaming pile of horse shit.

It’s down to Doan, Kenny.

And, oh yeah, it’s not like Stuart’s departure was a surprise either.  Garrison, Wideman, Carle, Salo….gone. And we’ve got what as our top pairing? Kronwall and….White?

If this is true….

Khan(!!!)

Semin’s agent, Todd Diamond, told M-Live.com that he had only one conversation with the Detroit Red Wings.
“It never got serious with them,’’ Diamond said.

Hi. That’s just negligence. If that’s true? Negligence.  At this stage Ken Holland didn’t have the luxury of selecting only those players who “fit the Wing mold.”  No. At this stage it’s down to signing talent to short-term deals and hoping they adapt.  Never got serious?

Oh, it’s motherfuching serious now isn’t it?

One consolation in this Summer of Ass Pain?  Only this: nobody in the Central has done jack squat either.  Stagnancy and ineptitude all around.  Hooray for the Norris.

Whatever.  I’m not giving up but I’m not giving in.  Doan signs in Detroit I’m happy as a school girl. But if he signs elsewhere, there’s going to be a change in tone around here.  Kenny’s gonna have some explaining to do and I don’t really give a shit if his impotence this summer has been out of caution due to a new CBA.  Labor strife didn’t stop Fletcher or Rutherford or Sather.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

About Semin (and the attitude towards most players, it seems), it’s no the “not signing”, it’s the “not interested”.

Seriously, with a kajillion in cap space, why not try to sign a goal-scorer for one season? No excuses about next year UFAs or anything like that, why not interested??

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/26/12 at 05:48 PM ET

Khan (!):

“It never got serious with them,’’ Diamond said.

Also Khan (!):

The Red Wings continue to pursue power forward Shane Doan, who has met with the New York Rangers and Philadelphia and is scheduled to meet next week with Montreal. Doan is in the process of deciding whether to leave Phoenix, where he has played since 1996.

NY, Philadelphia, Montreal are apparently ahead of Detroit. Phoenix too, obviously. So… no way.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/26/12 at 05:51 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

I’ll repost this here because I’m that pissed off:

Hope it’s worth waiting for Doan to not sign with the Wings while the only other top 6 forward signs elsewhere, Kenny.  Guess he’s REALLY banking on other teams having to dump salary with a cap rollback.  Problem is, it’s not exactly top 6 forwards that these teams will be dumping, it’s overpaid 3rd/4th line players.  Shame is, adding a 2nd year for Semin probably would have gotten him for a lot cheaper (rumored he wanted 2 years for 10M).

I don’t get it, you’re willing to trade 2 core players, picks, and prospects for Nash, yet won’t go after a guy who has put up equal or better numbers consistently that costs nothing but the money to sign him, of which there is plenty.  But you never know, Scott Gomez might be available if there is a contact amnesty with the new CBA…

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 07/26/12 at 05:52 PM ET

phillyphever's avatar

Want some cheese with that whine sir?

Posted by phillyphever on 07/26/12 at 05:55 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Screw Doan. What we need is Yandle or equivalent.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/26/12 at 05:56 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

is it too late for Holland to retire and hire Yzerman instead? (also reposting.. and also pissed)

Posted by detroitredwings on 07/26/12 at 05:58 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/26/12 at 03:51 PM ET

That’s what pisses me off.  All we’ve heard is we’re waiting for Doan, we’re waiting for Doan, yet there’s about a 1% chance of that actually happening, while the only other option leaves the market.  We essentially have 3 proven top 6 forwards on the team now, (I’m not counting Flip as 1 until he proves he can put up 60+ points again) and 2-ish top 4 D-men.  But hey, at least we got 2 more bottom 6 forwards to go with the other 30.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 07/26/12 at 06:01 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Want some cheese with that whine sir?

Yep, and make it cheddar.  It’s what we’ve eaten here since June of 97.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/26/12 at 06:02 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Surely, with so much cap space left over and the blueline in shambles, ticket prices will decrease this season, right?  I mean, if they arent going to use the money, there really is no reason to charge me $90 or more to sit in the Upper Bowl.

At least Holland showed these free agents (Suter, Weber, Doan) how much Detroit wanted them by pining away for them while EVERYONE else was grabbed up.  That should count for something.  Nothing thats going to help them win this season, but something.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/26/12 at 06:03 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Holland knew Lidstrom was leaving and did nothing,

AND - - - -

Knew or should have strongly suspected STU was a goner too.

Total failure.

Didn’t compensate on D, and didn’t get more scoring either.

It is going to take a miracle to get to 22.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/26/12 at 06:03 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Screw Doan. What we need is Yandle or equivalent.

Agreed.  Doan would be a treat, but Yandle would be a meal.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/26/12 at 06:04 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Meh… The Canes can have Franzen 2.0.
I’m more nervous about our blueline than anything else. Tick Tock

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/26/12 at 06:05 PM ET

The only thing I can guess about Doan is that maybe the Wings know something that is not being reported, like the Wings are his first choice should he leave the Coyotes and that is why they’re waiting.  Otherwise I have no idea

Posted by booyah! from chicago on 07/26/12 at 06:08 PM ET

Meh… The Canes can have Franzen 2.0.

I rather have Franzén 2.0 than Samuelsson beta version on the 2nd line.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/26/12 at 06:09 PM ET

phillyphever's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/26/12 at 04:02 PM ET

Yeah, like I haven’t heard that one before (rolls eyes). Seriously, grow up. So what if the Wings didn’t get those guys. Doesn’t mean everyone suddenly goes into panic mode. Things happen. Move on. Don’t do something stupid just to make a move and made the fans happy.

Posted by phillyphever on 07/26/12 at 06:09 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

sign Doan and trade him for Yandle?

Posted by detroitredwings on 07/26/12 at 06:11 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

Doan would be a treat, but Yandle would be a meal.

Thats what I’m hoping for. A 1st pairing D-man like Yandle or Bouwmeester. Doan would be a good fit too but the 1st priority should be finding a D-man.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/26/12 at 06:12 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I’m glad Kenny is oh so happy with this team. I guess time will tell. Didn’t do crappola on D even after Lids and Stewie left. Oy.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 07/26/12 at 06:13 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

I do think it’s pretty much bullshit though that Carolina gets to trade for and extend Staal, pay 7 MILLION for Semin and make serious bids for the 2 big boys this summer while using other teams’ money.  It must be nice.  But yeah, the owners need more money.  When one of your smaller market franchises can make these kind of moves, where do you get off crying poor at the bargaining table?

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 07/26/12 at 06:13 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

“It never got serious with them,’’ Diamond said.

Kind of throws Georges “Grandler is a PITA to deal with, so we can’t deal with him” theory out the window.

ANd he was had for 1 year… the theory he was holding out for term is out.  Signed for 1 YEAR.  for a few hundred thousand more than his cap hit on his last contract.  With all that skill?

Detroit couldn’t get the more out of the most talented skillwise UFA on the market?  Seriously?  For one year?

I like this team as is, but we shouldn’t be happy about not seizing the opportunity to stack the deck.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/26/12 at 06:13 PM ET

I’m more nervous about our blueline than anything else. Tick Tock

All of us are, but it’s the excuses that pisses us off.

So we didn’t land a foward, because we were focused on defense. But we didn’t sign a defenseman!

And the big D-man we pursued, he didn’t dish us over money. Because if he really wanted money, then he’d choose… well, Minnesota and their extra $8 million, anyway.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/26/12 at 06:15 PM ET

“phillyfever” is slang for Chlamydia. fact.

Posted by Rick on 07/26/12 at 06:16 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by phillyphever on 07/26/12 at 04:09 PM ET

Oh hi, you must be new here.

As to the post, well, everyone’s free to do what they want; I’m going to watch the games and hope for the best (assuming there’s no lockout).

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/26/12 at 06:16 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Yeah, like I haven’t heard that one before (rolls eyes).

Did you really roll your eyes?  Seriously?  Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s awfully feminine.  I love how I have to predicate that now.  Awesome.

And you may have heard it, but not as eloquently as I wrote it.  Not a chance.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/26/12 at 06:18 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Kenny is off of his high horse and riding the bologna pony . Wake the hell up or leave with Homer which is what you really want to happen. If I have to hear “we are happy with our team now ” one more time , so help me I will take a hockey stick and bang it back and forth between him and Nill’s heads Blues Brother’s style. This is geting rediculous and redundant .

The only saving grace in this debacle is the season will not start on time and maybe not be played at all. Wake the hell up Kenny My trust in ya is wearing thin.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/26/12 at 06:19 PM ET

#1 - I think missing out on Garrison and Souray and Salo are a bigger deal than missing out on Semin.

#2 - You MUST remember, management asks its current players for their input on possible signings. Can you, in all honesty, sit there and bash Holland and Jimmy D. for not signing Semin after they asked Datsyuk what he thought ??  I can guarantee Pasha gave them a big nyet after thinking about how much he’d have to babysit Semin.

Lets get past this trivial crap and focus on the defence please.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/26/12 at 06:22 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

And there’s also this: man, I’m tired of reading people telling me how I’m supposed to think and react.  If I want to panic? I’m gonna panic. If I want to flip out, well I’m going to flip out.  Lots of people are using this summer as an opportunity to get way, way up on this super high very tall skyscraping horse. I’m getting a little sick of it.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/26/12 at 06:22 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Must I? No.  And I’d bet the exact opposite happened, if Holland asked Datsyuk at all.  I’d bet Datsyuk gave him the go-ahead but Holland sat on his fuching hands or decided to disregard Datsyuk’s input.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/26/12 at 06:24 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Kenny said for years that he would retire on the same day as Lidstrom.

Well, It looks like he did, in spirit anyway.

Embrace the Season of Suckage. Pray for an injury-riddled, no-effort regular season that puts the Wings in the Bottom 4 league-wide. Dump Mule on another bottom dweller like the Isle or C-bus in exchange for their first rounder to increase our odds of a good pic. Suck for Seth! Miss for MacKinnon!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/26/12 at 06:24 PM ET

I’m more peeved that our defense hasn’t been shored up, Master Chief.  Two top-four defensemen gone in one summer - and they were quality defensemen.

[sigh]

Yandle’s UFA.  Sign him.
Kaberle in MTL at a cap hit of $4.5 million for the next two years (yes, I know he’s 35+).  Trade for him.

Or roll with we got and seek to outscore the opponents 7-6 or 8-7…like in the Nick Polano days.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/26/12 at 06:25 PM ET

Lets get past this trivial crap and focus on the defence please.

Which you did on your first point, mentioning the defensemen Detroit missed out on.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/26/12 at 06:25 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Carolina is looking pretty good now though with the Staals centering the top two lines and Skinner and Semin on their wing.

Skinner one of my fav players to watch, kid is SLICK.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/26/12 at 06:26 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

f I want to panic? I’m gonna panic.

Might I recommend these simple steps you might take if you feel stress Stress Relief Tips

I personally prefer

Inhale deeply; count to five; exhale; re-light joint; repeat/quote]

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/26/12 at 06:28 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Yandle’s UFA.  Sign him.

Posted by SYF from a drunken Guinness blitz [hic] on 07/26/12 at 04:25 PM ET

Yandle’s not a FA at all, he’d have to be traded for, and how the hell are we going to outscore teams 7-6 or 8-7?  Maybe that one game Franzen decides to score 5, but this team is as about offensively lacking as it’s been in decades.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 07/26/12 at 06:29 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Labor strife didn’t stop Fletcher or Rutherford or Sather.

Yeah, but a cap reduction will hamstring the shit out of them and force them to move players they didn’t necessarily want to for absolute peanuts.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/26/12 at 06:29 PM ET

There will always be a portion of a fanbase which overreacts to short term stimuli.

Let us presume, for the sake of argument, that not only does Detroit not sign any significant UFAs until the season starts, but that they also make no significant trades by the 2013 deadline.

Based on the roster of the team as it currently stands… what happens?

IMO, they finish somewhere between 4th and 7th in the West and are a 50-50 team to win a first round playoff series.

Unless the person hyperventilating believes the team is going to miss the playoffs outright (and even then there are some significant advantages to a one year playoff hiatus), that person is not only hyperventilating, they are doing it needlessly.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/26/12 at 06:32 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Case in point.  How’s it feel up there telling the rest of us precisely how we should react to this?

And I wouldn’t be “hyperventilating” if Holland hadn’t publicly spoken for months about how “aggressive” the Wings would be this summer.

there are some significant advantages to a one year playoff hiatus

We’re not Pittsburgh.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/26/12 at 06:34 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I have this uplifting feeling that our defense is going to be way better than people think.

I also have a sinking feeling that it is going to be way, way worse.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/26/12 at 06:35 PM ET

Amerinadian's avatar

I’m getting this tattooed on my backside.

Posted by Amerinadian from Chicago via Toronto on 07/26/12 at 06:35 PM ET