Abel to Yzerman

Tick Tock’s All Redolent Today

Don’t think for a second that I’m ready yet to jump back in, but I will bring you this ditty from Khan(!).

“We’ve got some cap space, but there’s got to be somebody to sign,’’ Holland said. “Even if you get one or two players in unrestricted free agency, you need four lines.

“You can’t just make two signings in the summer and go on a long playoff run. This is a team sport. … We got some good pieces, but we’re not quite as deep.’‘

Holland likes his nucleus, which includes Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Johan Franzen…

I stopped reading right about there. No. I stopped reading after I got to the “z” following “Fran…” and realized what the whole word was gonna be.  I’m seriously disgusted with that player.  Note to Kenny: you have two disasters to make up for. (1) letting Hossa go and keeping Franz…and (2) February 28, 2012.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

I know that the hindsight is always 20/20.
But many diggers and posters argue that there was nobody on the market for KH to sign and no picks to give at the trade deadline. This is not entirely true.

KH could have easily signed A. Kostitsyn for the 1st round pick he gave for Quincey and a bag of pucks (OK, two bags).

From Sporting News on Feb 27, 2012:

“Andrei Kostitsyn, 27, [6’0, 214, left wing, shoots left] would bring some goal-scoring ability to a Predators team that has, at times, lacked it. In return, the Canadiens got a second-round pick in the 2013 draft and the conditional pick they sent to Nashville in the Hal Gill trade.”

Some goal-scoring ability was just what the Wings needed, badly. I bet he would have looked good on Pavel’s wings, not mentioning that both are Russians and should have instatnt chemistry. But KH chose to not make this move.

And this is exactly a little bit of help that Wings needed to put themselves on top, at least against Nashville.

And also, Kindl or Smith would have done a better job in the playoffs than Qman. Guaranteed.

Posted by Alex on 04/22/12 at 09:29 PM ET

And pretty please, can someone on the RW coaching staff closely study videos of St.Louis defensive play and figure out why Hitch’s teams are so solid defensively, and maybe do some reverse engineering?

Posted by Alex on 04/22/12 at 09:38 PM ET

A. Kostitsyn

NHL TOTALS   398   103   119   222   +15   181   34   0   20   826   12.5

A blown golden opportunity, Kenny. Sorry, you just cannot deny it.

Posted by Alex on 04/22/12 at 09:46 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but… THE CURRENT CBA EXPIRES AFTER THIS SEASON. Maybe, just maybe, Kenny H is saving his dimes and preparing for the possibility of a lower salary cap again. Two full seasons after the last lockout, we were the Cup champs. In Kenny I trust. Lets go Wings

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 04/22/12 at 10:34 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Who knows if Kostitsyn would have gelled with the Wings?  Hindsight, hindsight.  The Preds put everything they had into winning this season and if it doesn’t work out for them, they gave up a lot.

While I am bitter and sulking about the Wings losing, I was struck by one thing today while watching Caps/Bruins.  Much more willingness to go to the net, take shots from somewhere besides the point, try different approaches, etc.  It just seemed like Detroit became so predictable to the other teams.

Then again, when teams are built solely around beating the Wings,this is what you get.

Ugh, St. Louis and Nashville both scored fewer goals than the Wings during the regular season.  BORING!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/22/12 at 10:38 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Well I can see I am not the only one who lays a lot of blame on Franzen ...such a LACK of effort on his part made me sick ...  If they don’t want to give 100% like Danny was out there then they should be put down to the third line or sit the pine .... maybe that would wake his azz up.
Well Primus you may be right he was mauled without the refs calling things but so was Z and Pav and every other Red Wings but they still gave it their all especially Danny on one leg none the less.  After the first game or so Mule was pretty lazy out there especially in our own zone ... like he was fed up and just gave up… that’s not the Red Wing way.

IMO John W got it right about Hudler and Franzen see below*

If Franzen maybe tried on occassion to skate in the direction of the net and look at all dangerous, maybe Pav wouldn’t have 3 guys draped on him every shift.  But yeah, Franzen was a poor victim getting picked on and wasn’t loafing at all.  Fact is, unless the opposing team decides to leave him completely open, he won’t score anymore.  He doesn’t fight for space and plays half as big as Hudler, and that’s just sad. - Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/22/12 at 03:00 PM ET

The added desire needs to come from hungry players around them, and to me that means starting to infuse real youth into the Top 6, not the Bottom 6.

<~I agree whole heartedly .

let’s not get carried away here and lose sight of everything.  In spite of losing the series in five games, to those who are under the impression that the Nashville Predators have suddenly become this mighty juggernaut that is a vastly superior team to Detroit in every aspect of the game and that Barry Trotz is now a brilliant tactical genius to whom Mike Babcock should bow down, and David Poile is now the master of the universe, I’d remind you that setting up in your own zone, chasing the puck around the rink all night and relying on your goaltending to steal games isn’t exactly the mark of a great team and doesn’t really point to any huge tactical edge in terms of coaching.

We might not like the results of the series, but take a deep breath everybody because the fact of the matter is, putting emotions aside and looking at it objectively for a moment, Detroit actually outplayed the Prednecks for long stretches in that series and, but for Pekka Rinne, the fact that the series only went five, is pretty damn deceptive in many ways.  A good bounce here or there and perhaps it’s the Wings who win it in five.  In any case, the idea that they were completely overmatched and overwhelmed by Nashville contradicts the series I watched. - Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/22/12 at 03:29 PM ET

Bravo !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/23/12 at 12:16 AM ET

Bye, Canucks!
LA scored in OT on a 2 on 1. The refs could have easily whistled this play down and give LA a tripping/hooking penalty. I’ve seen this call made on the Red WIngs 99 per cent of the time.

Posted by Alex on 04/23/12 at 01:04 AM ET

Round 2 match-ups and results:

St. Louis (2) vs Los Angeles (8) - St. Louis in 5
Phoenix (3) vs Nashville (4) - Nashville in 6

Posted by Alex on 04/23/12 at 01:12 AM ET

awould's avatar

I think that was a legit play, no tripping. He got the puck first and then they got tangled up as the Vancouver player tried to change direction. Good goal, and good riddance Vancouver.

St. Louis/LA will be a low scoring muckfest.

Posted by awould on 04/23/12 at 01:14 AM ET

I think that was a legit play, no tripping.

Exactly. But, as I said, I’ve seen this call made on the Red Wings 99 per cent of the time.

Posted by Alex on 04/23/12 at 01:18 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/22/12 at 03:29 PM ET

I’m with this guy. Seriously. Well put.

This is also a big question mark, and I get the feeling it’s a big reason more wasn’t done. That kind of uncertainty could leave a team in a bind worse than Chicago after the cup if not careful.

Yeah, I know it’s way early, but here’s my very simple wish-list going into the off-season:
1- A shooter. Someone who thinks shoot before pass and goes to the middle to do it. Doesn’t even have to be all that good defensively. Ideally with size, but as long as they’ve got determination and willingness to skate, I’m good with it. A right hander to start using the left side of the ice would be a bonus. Bobby Ryan type player would be perfect. Parise is also acceptable. No Alex Semin.
2- True top 4 Dman, something leaning toward offense or damn good both ways. Wideman would be good, as would Filip Kuba. Maybe even Sheldon Souray. This becomes priority #1 if Lids retires. No Lebda.
3- Healthy Patty Eaves and Danger Helm. We need their speed and dedication on the 3rd line and PK. Any setbacks with either, and a career grinder that knows what he’s doing may be required. Conner may work just fine as an internal solution.

I’m not picky about how any of this would happen. I accept the possibility/need of trades. Only Pav, Z, Jimmy, Nyquist, and Smith are untouchable in my book, with Helm, Kronner, Flip and a prospect like Jurco being very close behind. Not quite untouchable, but the trade better be right. I’m fine trading Franzen if it makes a significant deal happen. Kindl and Tatar may be the best other assets we have to make a deal happen. I like em both, but if they’re casualties of a deal, so be it.

I would like to see Quincey’s RFA rights moved in pursuit of an upgrade somewhere as I don’t see him fitting in and a qualifying offer will be more expensive than an improving E52 is right now. Still, he’s got those top pair D minutes with crappy teams, someone would bite on him. But defense is going to be the tricky part with the potential of losing 2 top 4 guys, so I anticipate Q will be back.

The first 2 will be tricky, I know, and many teams have the same goals. But pending CBA nonsense, we’re in better position than most to make it happen. Kenny has the skills and the assets (I’m just gonna be arrogant and assume he agrees with my assessment). Question is who will be available come open season?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/23/12 at 02:33 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

With the Wings out, I think the Predators have a great shot at the cup.  After all, they and the Blues and the Hawks are all built to emulate the Wings.

they were built to BEAT the Wings, not emulate.  Denver tried to emulate the Wings and you see where that got them.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/26/12 at 02:26 AM ET