Abel to Yzerman

Thoughts On Yzerman

Listen to the podcast.

Doug MacLean and Elliotte Friedman start the Yzerman talk at the 1:49:00 mark.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

I listened for 10 minutes of MacLean talking, some great Detroit stories but no Yzerman back to Detroit talk, so it must be somewhere else on the podcast.

If you find it, please leave a comment.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/15/19 at 12:46 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I would be fine with.that step up. I was hoping yzerman would bring the Little Ball of Hate with him.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/15/19 at 12:48 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Welp. It’s not Holland. Lol

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/15/19 at 12:48 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

This I could deal with! Its a lot harder and longer basis for a fanbase to turn on a president than a GM.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/15/19 at 01:09 PM ET

I forgot all about Verbeek. What’s his track-record in management?

Posted by George0211 on 03/15/19 at 01:54 PM ET

Drunk Doug MacLean is hilarious smile

Posted by George0211 on 03/15/19 at 02:33 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Good stories. Good profanity. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 03/15/19 at 03:21 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I know this won’t be popular, and I haven’t listened to the podcast yet, but I hope this isn’t some sort of “leak” coming from someone close to the situation but rather Friedman just speculating. I know Holland isn’t exactly beloved by many here, me included, but this organization under Illitch has been pretty good about doing the right thing and showing loyalty/respect to people. I would hate to think the younger Illitch has changed course on this. Holland may have made some mistakes ( many by some count) but it just doesn’t seem right to be planning his departure (in public anyway) while he is still on the job.

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/15/19 at 03:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

DRD, Friedman is quoted ‘my guess’  so I don’t think it has come from a leak.

Believe me, I have done some behind the scenes digging, reaching out to a few who would be in the know, but no one knows what he is going to do.

We know Yzerman can go dark and he has, imagine we won’t hear anything until Tampa’s season is over.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/15/19 at 03:42 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Joe Smith of The Athletic,

DETROIT​ — The Tampa Bay​ Lightning had just​ wrapped​ up​ another victory​ on​ trade​ deadline​ day​ when​ Steve​​ Yzerman took the elevator down from his perch in the Amalie Arena press box.

As Yzerman, surrounded by several team scouts and executives, exited the elevator and turned the corner, he deadpanned with his typical dry sense of humor:

“I’ll catch up with you guys in 10,” he said. “I’ve got to clean up my office.”

As the group laughed, Yzerman ducked through a back door and disappeared from sight.

That pretty well sums up Yzerman’s presence in the organization over the past year: stealthy but significant.

continued (paid)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/15/19 at 04:19 PM ET

It starts around 18:40 and ends around 25:00

Posted by A II R on 03/15/19 at 04:42 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks A II R.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/15/19 at 04:43 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

George

Verbeek is currently employed as Assistant General Manager with the Tampa Bay Lightning with former Detroit teammate Steve Yzerman, the former General Manager of the Lightning. He previously served as pro scout with the Detroit Red Wings
NHL veteran PAT VERBEEK enters his ninth season with the Tampa Bay Lightning, his eighth as assistant general manager. He was hired by the Lightning as director of professional scouting on June 8, 2010 and then named assistant general manager on July 1, 2011. Verbeek oversees all of the team’s professional scouting operations, aids in player procurement and reports directly to the general manager.

Before joining the Lightning, Verbeek, 54, spent four seasons as a pro scout with the Detroit Red Wings, assisting the management staff as the organization both built from within and made key acquisitions from outside to build a deep and talented roster. He scouted select teams at both the NHL and AHL levels, providing key information to the Detroit coaching and management staffs regarding potential trades and free agent acquisitions.

A native of Sarnia, Ontario,

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/15/19 at 06:43 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Anyone know Verbeeks contract length?

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 03/15/19 at 07:14 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

Even if someone we hope is wiser than he’s so far proven to be finds the stones to replace the current regime, it’s going to take time to turn things around. What we need is pain relief…something to cling to…a light at the end of tunnel.  The likes of Yzerman & Verbeek would be just what the doctor ordered.

Posted by WingDingy on 03/15/19 at 08:00 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

God now I wanna know how a little ball of hate negotiates…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 03/15/19 at 09:18 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

God now I wanna know how a little ball of hate negotiates…

If he negotiates as good as he apparently scouts talent I’m good with it. Now just get Adam Oates to coach.

Posted by duhduhduh on 03/15/19 at 09:50 PM ET