Abel to Yzerman

This Is Where Things Stand With Henrik Zetterberg Today

Zetterberg participated in a full practice today and stated he will skate tomorrow morning, meet with the doctors, then...

So, one of 19, should he play if the doctors give him the go-ahead, or should he wait another game?

added 1:20pm, via Craig Custance tweet,

Babcock on the status of Zetterberg, who will consult with doctors: "They'll let us know - if he's available, he'll be going."

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Nathan's avatar

If the doctors truly OK him, and he feels good enough to play confident hockey, he should play. That said, if he doesn’t feel quite right, I don’t hold it against him for not playing. Odds are heavily against this team and I’d rather have him healthy going into the offseason where he can be ready for next season, when the team’s chances look a lot better now that we know how good some of the kids are.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/23/14 at 12:17 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Dana Wakiji tweets,

Zetterberg: If there weren’t any playoffs or if we were going to the 1st day of camp I wouldn’t be doing the stuff I’m doing now.

Zetterberg: We want to rush it, but we want to do it at a safe pace. As soon as I can get in I will.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/23/14 at 12:36 PM ET

Primis's avatar

As @OnTheWIngs noted, if Z plays BOS is going to dogpile him every chance they get.

I’d personally rather he just sit.  I don’t know that he can help DET enough anyways, not when the problem is systemic.

Posted by Primis on 04/23/14 at 01:03 PM ET

I would assume they are taking almost certain hits to the back into consideration and I would think he can’t make things worse if he plays. My guess is it’s mostly about conditioning at this point.

Posted by George0211 on 04/23/14 at 01:16 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Either way he wouldn’t be in game shape, but hey the Red Wings could use any help they can get. Concerned about the Bruins going at his back. Does he risk it?

Posted by bigfrog on 04/23/14 at 01:20 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Doggammit Z. Winning a series then losing the next isn’t worth two (or more) years of your career.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/23/14 at 01:29 PM ET

The doctors wouldn’t clear him to play if there was that kind of risk. Herniated disc surgery is a minor surgery with a high rate of success and fast recovery. If Z wants to play and the doctors say it’s okay, let him play. I agree with George0211, conditioning is probably the main thing right now. This team could use his help even if he’s 70%. He hasn’t been 100% all season yet was still the best player in the lineup when present.

The Wings need more than that though if they want to win this series. Hopefully Babcock is over his line experiment. As soon as he abandoned those lines yesterday the team started playing better (but still couldn’t score). Plus there is the abysmal PP but adding Z might help with that

Posted by ryan-o on 04/23/14 at 01:46 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I honestly don’t think that any of the Bruins players are THAT douchy that they would possibly jeopardize a player’s career, particularly a player of Z’s standing,  for the chance to move on to the next round.

Now I wouldn’t put it past Matt Cooke to do something like that but not any of the Bs players.

That said, if Z does come back, I can only assume that he’s going to be a shell of the player he is capable pf being.  Between conditioning and worrying about the injury, he just will not be the same.

I say keep him out.  Let the kids do their thing.  If we move on, great.  If we get eliminated, chalk it up as a valuable learning experience for them.  Come back hungrier and healthier next year.

I’m still saying Wings in 6.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/23/14 at 01:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The doctors wouldn’t clear him to play if there was that kind of risk.

Posted by ryan-o on 04/23/14 at 02:46 PM ET

*coughHELMcoughWEISScoughGROINSPLOSIONFEST2014*

Pardon me if I have little-to-no faith in the current medical practices of and for the Wings.

Posted by Primis on 04/23/14 at 02:07 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

I’m more excited for his contribution to the locker room and morale of the team than his actual play on the ice. This team needs a kick in it’s rear end to get going.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 04/23/14 at 02:56 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Oh jeebus Z dont do it… dont play… if you value your life you will not play against this team now in the playoffs… They will cross check you in the back until your spine detaches…

Posted by pgoody on 04/23/14 at 03:46 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Lmao u make it sound like bloodsport.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/23/14 at 04:07 PM ET

Heaton's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 04/23/14 at 04:46 PM ET

If he’s going to worry about that he should retire.

Posted by Heaton on 04/23/14 at 10:15 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Nope. No way. Makes no sense to me.

Posted by dougie on 04/24/14 at 04:06 AM ET