Abel to Yzerman

The Team They Joined

Oh yes.  Contenders.  Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall?  Rosby, Malkin, Letang?  Toews, Kane, Keith?

Nope.

Oh yes.  Contenders.  Have fun wasting away. Together.

Hockey Wilderness

Justin Falk - Clayton Stoner

Nate Prosser

Goaltenders

Niklas Backstrom

Josh Harding

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

monkey's avatar

I understand Devils or Preds fans being this angry, but they were never yours in the first place, so what gives Wings fans? Disappointed I get, but maybe they just don’t want to play in Detroit. Is that a crime?

There are a lot of passionate fans whose emotions get the better of them.

Also there is a pretty strong sense of entitlement.  We were spoiled by the pre-lockout years when we could buy any free agent we wanted and the Stanley Cup cycled through Denver, Detroit, and New Jersey.

A lot of people will be saying Holland failed, but the reality is the price was too high.  This is the salary cap world, Gary’s World.  Look at Minnesota now- they’ve got $35 million in cap hit (halfway to the cap) taken up by five players.  Hard to build a team with just $35 million left for the other 18 roster spots.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/04/12 at 05:21 PM ET

The Wings need to move in a different direction

You’re saying this because Detroit right now has an overabundance of perennial 30+ goal-scoring power forwards?

I would agree with you but really, can a team have too many perennial 30+ goal-scoring power forwards?

Posted by Garth on 07/04/12 at 05:22 PM ET

There are a couple UFAs we haven’t mentioned…

Let’s bring back Lebda/Janik as our 2nd pairing?

Posted by Alex from San Francisco on 07/04/12 at 05:23 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I don’t go around to the Pens blogs and complain about their fans, or to the Wild blog and point out how big the bandwagon has gotten, or to the Blue Jacket blog and point and laugh at their fan.

Sure, but it would be pretty redundant if you did.  Makes more sense just to skip it.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/04/12 at 05:26 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

And maybe I’m crazy, but that Minnesota line-up looks pretty solid to me.

Yep, you’re crazy.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/04/12 at 05:28 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Garth, I get that…I really do.
I just think that he’s going to begin to decline….he has to.
By the time we could pick him up he’d be 37.

The Wings need to move in a different direction….IMHO.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 07/04/12 at 03:17 PM ET

I have similar thoughts about Doan.  I think he would contribute right now with grit, fire, passion that is lacking in, say, oh, I don’t know, Franzen?  Hard to imagine Doan leaving as Captain of Phoenix, however, but let’s hope the Wings are talking to him today so he won’t piss people off by taking 3 days to decide whether to cut ties with his career team or not, because after all, players owe us fans instant gratification.

Franzen is more capable of offensive bursts, I know, and would still be on the team, but if he is not scoring what else does he bring?  Doan is going to be playing his ass off every night, hitting and playing hard, and knocking in some ugly goals too.  Iginla plays similarly to Doan and one year from now would still be quite an offensive threat for a couple of more years.  Getting him now would probably cost a lot on trades.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/04/12 at 05:29 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

I understand where you’re coming from.
I’d just rather see us pick up someone who is not on the downslope for their career.
Holland needs to keep an eye on the future…now more than ever.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 07/04/12 at 05:30 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by RWBill from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on 07/04/12 at 03:29 PM ET

I think Doan would leave Phoenix for a legit shot at a Cup. I think his loyalty to that team has been pushed past the limit with the ownership saga and complete inability to really compete. They just lost Ray Whitney too.

Doan would be a great addition for a couple of seasons. I know he’s not popular around here, but I’d be ok with him. He’s not near the top of my UFA list though.

Posted by awould on 07/04/12 at 05:34 PM ET

Gumby's avatar

A lot of people will be saying Holland failed, but the reality is the price was too high.  This is the salary cap world.  Look at Minnesota now- they’ve got $35 million in cap hit (halfway to the cap) taken up by five players.  Hard to build a team with just $35 million left for the other 18 roster spots.

Posted by monkey from pushing Jimmy Howard on 07/04/12 at 03:21 PM ET

Well said, considering that defenders like Jason Garrison and Bryan Allen combined will be a little more than what Suter will be getting this year.  There is no reason to think that Kronwall’s numbers won’t be better than Suter’s in the coming season.

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 07/04/12 at 05:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Holland needs to keep an eye on the future…now more than ever.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 07/04/12 at 03:30 PM ET

I agree, but I think the Wings are doing a good job of balance.  The problem with the abundant number of young ones on the team is that, other than NyQuil, none have shown they are capable of putting up big offensive numbers.  And I’m only imagining about NyQuil.  We have many of them.  Adding a more mature player with a history of 20 or 30 goals each year to this mix wouldn’t be a bad thing right now, IMHO.

Helm, Abdelkader, Miller, Eaves, Murszak, Emmerton, TooTooPreds,  Geezo how many of them do we need?  I love em all, except for Tootoo and I pledge I am all in for him if he stays on our team, but there are no big scorers in that group.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/04/12 at 05:37 PM ET

Holland needs to keep an eye on the future…now more than ever.

I’m not suggesting the he be signed to a 13-year contract.

And on the downslope or not, he scored more goals than anyone on the Wings this year.

Posted by Garth on 07/04/12 at 05:37 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on 07/04/12 at 03:37 PM ET

Exactly.  Youth is one thing, but being young doesn’t guarantee that you’re going to score a lot of goals.

Posted by Garth on 07/04/12 at 05:39 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

I’m not suggesting the he be signed to a 13-year contract.

I’m not suggesting the he be signed to a 13-year contract.

Agreed on both points.

I would actually hope that Holland would package some of the youngsters in a trade for a defenseman.
Then, pick up both Semin and Doan.
That would make for an interesting team composition.

The only real assets is see in GR are Smith and Nyquist.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 07/04/12 at 05:44 PM ET

Gumby's avatar

I wonder if Filppula is going to want Parise kind of money (since he’s a potential UFA after next season)?

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 07/04/12 at 05:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I am double fisting this post on two blogs.
Remaining UFAs, sorted by TOI.

I cut off the list at Lebda, because he is the end all.

2012-07-04 03.43.00 pm

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/04/12 at 05:48 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Let’s bring back Lebda/Janik as our 2nd pairing?

cut off the list at Lebda, because he is the end all.

We should bring back Lebda just for comic relief.  Lebda.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/04/12 at 05:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Also, Jaime Langenbrunner and Jason Arnott are still alive, and appear lower on this list of UFA.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/04/12 at 05:51 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

Anybody else miss Jiri Fischer as much as I do right now?

Posted by Thunderpriest on 07/04/12 at 05:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

We should bring back Lebda just for comic relief.  Lebda.

Posted by monkey from pushing Jimmy Howard on 07/04/12 at 03:51 PM ET

I had considered, between he and Tootoo, which would get two two?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/04/12 at 05:52 PM ET

weren’t people high on Cam Barker last summer? memory is a bit hazy there. i think this all speaks to a trade. too many forwards, not enough quality D, crappy UFA crop remaining.

Kenny, for the love of Pete, do it!

Posted by Alex from San Francisco on 07/04/12 at 05:55 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Anybody else miss Jiri Fischer as much as I do right now?

How well did you know him?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/04/12 at 05:56 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

How well did you know him?

Well enough to know that he was developing into a solid top pairing D-man.

Posted by Thunderpriest on 07/04/12 at 06:01 PM ET

I remember when Kariya and Selanne did their buddy tour to Colorado in 2003. They had the good sense to limit it to one year.

If immediate dividends are not paid with these signings, the MN sports media will soon turn Suter and Parise into the goats.

Posted by Cal from MN on 07/04/12 at 06:07 PM ET

sounds like girlfriend scorned ... an ugly one who thinks she’s prettier than she really is.

Posted by goldie on 07/04/12 at 06:13 PM ET

an ugly one who thinks she’s prettier than she really is.

Someone thought she was pretty enough to give her four gold rings in the last 15 years, more than any other girls have in that time.

Posted by Garth on 07/04/12 at 06:17 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

These two ladies wanted to play together in a quiet patch of daisies.

I just went back and read threads I had missed earlier when the news broke.

This is the funniest damn thing of the summer.  Nice one, Chief, ya bastard.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/04/12 at 06:19 PM ET

Cal's avatar

Anybody else miss Jiri Fischer as much as I do right now?

Yes.  Not that “far away look in my eyes, tickling myself with a feather” missing.

But yes.

Posted by Cal on 07/04/12 at 06:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Losing on the Suter signing has had an immediate effect on Detroit already.

Detroit to be hit by flesh and brain-eating zombie apocalypse

Derelict areas of Detroit face being taken over by hordes of ‘flesh and brain-eating zombies’ if an ambitious business plan takes off.

Entrepreneur Mark Siwak wants to create live-action terror theme park ‘Z World’ on Motor City’s run-down and abandoned streets.

Customers would pay to be chased by professional actors and try to seek shelter in ghostly homes, factories and businesses.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/04/12 at 06:34 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

i miss TPH.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 07/04/12 at 07:08 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Well enough to know that he was developing into a solid top pairing D-man.

That would be a no, then.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/04/12 at 07:29 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

From another thread.

It seems apparent to me, DET will have to play run and gun hockey this season.

Their simply are no UFA elite “D” out there.  For gawds sake do not overpay for Carle or whoever the hell else.

Sign Semin, and try to get over 3 G/G - maybe get Doan too.

Kenny will have to work a trade for a “D”, or wait till next year.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/04/12 at 05:36 PM ET

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/04/12 at 07:42 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

SOOOOOO it’s Minnesota is it?

I guess it just isn’t meant to be in an original 6 steeped in hockey tradition have a locker with a legend or 2 with Gordie or Ted. Nooo you would rather roll out in the prarie pooping dasies : Zac, Ryan, and their new bestest friend Pinkie having a fresca with their pinkies in the air.

Tick tock Kenny. Now is the time for action and to stop resting on your laurels.Bowmeester,Yandle,Doan, Nash,Semin show them the Red Wing way and they will come.Get rid of the log jam of 3rd and 4th liners or as Monkey put it too many nickels and not enough quaters Sell Kenny sell.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/04/12 at 07:45 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/04/12 at 05:42 PM ET

Smith is the perfect Dman for that philosophy.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/04/12 at 08:19 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/04/12 at 03:02 PM ET

I like your thinking, for sure.

For those of you who missed out-

Ryan (or Semin)...

Carle.

Murray (San Jose does owe the Wings).

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/04/12 at 09:00 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Muckers and grinders, muckers and grinders,
navy beans, navy beans, navy beans…

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/04/12 at 09:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Stay positive, no reason the Wings can’t be a contender next year.

This is not the time to go all Steely Dan.

“Drink Scotch Whisky all night long.  And die behind the wheel.”

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/04/12 at 09:16 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Seriously though, down the middle we’re fine.  Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Helm, various youngsters, prospects.  We can mix and match if we want, have Fil on a wing with Z, put Emmerton or Nyquist in as the fourth center, see how things go.    I am happy with our crop of centers.  Z is, in my mind at least, the unquestioned leader of this team.  We are strong down the center.

Now, on the wings, unfortunately (on the Wings?), things start to get dicey.  Franzen.  Will he show up?  Disappear for long stretches?  Bertuzzi.  Serial Killer, baby eater, ex-Flame.  Flashes of brilliance.  Brief flashes.  Cleary.  When was the last time Cleary was healthy and effective?  Three years ago?  Miller. Great guy.  Fourth line.  Mursak.  Young.  Unproven.  Hungry?  Holmstrom.  Will he stay or will he go?  Is it worth it to give him another year?  And these wings, these unknowns, these question marks, they just keep coming.  Eaves, Tootoo, Sammy, Abdelkader… Brunnstrom.  Bruno.  Borat.  We don’t know.  We. Just. Don’t. Know.

And dear sweet God, holy Jesus, the defense.  Kronwall, we love you, we love your goal celebration, you are the man now.  Do you have it in you?  Ericsson.  Your father’s name was Eric, that’s awesome.  It’s a good name.  Strong Viking connotations.  As for you, well, you’re a question mark.  I’m sorry.  I’ve never heard of a Viking named Jonathan.  Ian White?  Jakub Kindl?  Brendan Smith?  Kyle Quincey?  Question marks.

Tick tock, Kenny.  Tick.  Tock.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/04/12 at 09:25 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Goaltending.  We have a monster Jimmy and a backup Monster in case Dong #1 gets tired.  Nothing to question here, not right now anyway.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/04/12 at 09:28 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

I really don’t see that there is any way Detroit signs Doan.  I’d love it, but if it was in the cards, why sign Tootoo?  Fuch, that still feels strange to type.  I think I’m gonna barf the first time I see him in a Wings sweater.  I did watch an hour long special on him and his brother and there is no doubt that the guy has had it rough.  And fought some pretty long odds to even make it into the NHL.  And quite frankly if I had to deal with the shit he did in my personal life I’d have some alcohol problems too.  So for his personal life, I actually think the guy has got a lot of character…  His on ice shit drives me fuching crazy though.  I’ll come around, I’m sure.  But it may take a while.  If the start blowing those fuching whistles at the Joe though, I’m gonna lose my damn shit and start watching it on mute.  I hope the Joe staff doesn’t allow that shit.

On to Jiri Fischer.  Damn, do I miss that dude.  There is no doubt in my mind that the guy would be a first line stud, or a second paired shut down guy.  I was such a huge fan of him.  The day we brought our oldest home from the hospital he put Daniel Sedin through the glass, that was straight up magical.  He was as big guy, that was really starting to learn to use his size effectively and damnit he was smart.

Rick Nash - I can’t even list on this blog the assets I would be willing to see traded to get him, because you all would run me out of town.  He is one of the most gifted forwards playing the game today.  Good size, and willing to shoot the damn puck.  I’d love to see him the the Red and White.  L O V E it.  The amount of goals he’s scored on the BJ’s is absolutely discusting.  With no one to feed him the puck… I wonder how many of those goals is unassisted.  Didn’t he have an unassisted hatty against Detroit?

OK, back to my snakehead IPA.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 07/04/12 at 09:57 PM ET

The sympathy party between the Devils fans and the Preds fans is over-the-top ridiculous on hfboards.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/04/12 at 10:55 PM ET