Abel to Yzerman

The Cup Is For Closers… Time To Close This Series

A couple of my recent posts have upset some people.

A few days ago I upset a lot of hockey writers about their Norris nominations.  That is acceptable.

Today I upset Mike and Marian.  That is unacceptable.  I suggested that a long-deserved vacation would be the silver lining to losing tonight.  Like Mike and Marian, many of the 19 found this upsetting and unthinkable.  There are no other options.  Winning is the only option.

Mike and Marian sent us a special friend.  He is here to tell us the truth and straighten the team out.

His name?  Fuch you.  That’s his name.  Pay attention, bitches, he’s only here as a special favour to Mike and Marian:

Let’s talk about something important.

Put.  That.  Cup.  Down.

The Cup is for Closers only.

You think I’m fuching with you?  I am not fuching with you.

Have I got your attention now?

Good.

You got the lead this series.  The lead was good.

You can’t close the lead, you can’t close shit, you are shit, hit the bricks pal, and beat it, ‘cause you are going out.  You can’t play in a man’s game?  You can’t close them?  Then go home and tell your wife your troubles, because Red Wings fans don’t give a shit anymore.

Only one thing counts in this life:  Play 60 minutes.  Get the W.  Close the Series.

A…B…C…
Always.  Be.  Closing.

The Winnpeg Jets are sitting there, waiting to give you a victory.  Are you going to take it?  Are you man enough to take it?

You want to play here?  CLOSE.  You think this is abuse?  If you don’t like it, LEAVE.

Get MAD you son of a bitches, GET MAD.  Do you know what it takes to win the Stanley Cup?  It takes brass balls to win the Stanley Cup.

The Stanley Cup is for Closers.

I’d wish you good luck, but you wouldn’t know what to do with it if you got it.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

edillac's avatar

win this shit

Posted by edillac from isolation on 04/27/10 at 07:16 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I was thinking about GGGR today and there it was on the front page of the NY Times website with a video review by A.O. Scott. Great omen, great film and great post, VooX.

One question…Is this the LB thread or will we be hearing from our fearless leader?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 07:16 PM ET

VooX's avatar

This is the calm before the storm.  The Chief has been muttering to himself under his desk all day.  Once they unchain him there, he will be along to let out his demons.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/27/10 at 07:17 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

nice, voox. this is what we needed.

the fuching feel good story ends tonight.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 04/27/10 at 07:22 PM ET

I want that fuching Cadillac of a trophy called the Stanley Cup.

Man up, bitches.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/27/10 at 07:25 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Don’t win it for “us”... don’t win it for the “organ-i-zation”.... win it for yourselves Wings.  You are The Detroit Red Wings.  You are the best hockey team on the planet for the past two decades.  Defeat is acceptable… but only when done with honor.  Honor is playing a full 60 minutes with an all out effort.  Every player must look in the mirror to find the man inside who is capable of taking tonight’s game.  Do that… and I’m not only satisfied with the effort but I will defend you to all comers who wouldn’t know a dynasty if their name were Ming.

Posted by calquake on 04/27/10 at 07:29 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

1st prize: Stanley Cup
2nd prize: Steak Knives
3rd prize: You’re golfing

Posted by pgoody on 04/27/10 at 07:29 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I spent the whole day thinking of 1638 possible scenarios… a blowout win, goalies battling, overtimes until tomorrow morning, every possible Wing scoring the game winner…

The game is still 150 minute away, and I’m already exhausted.

Just win this motherfucher, please, I don’t want to get away from hockey until October.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/27/10 at 07:30 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

And the word is: Doan is out tonite.

And the second word is: the semi-finals will start on Thursday (of course);

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/27/10 at 07:32 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Need to channel this game 7:

2002 Playoffs - Avalanche @ Red Wings Game 7

Posted by pgoody on 04/27/10 at 07:33 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

remember this game 7?

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 04/27/10 at 07:38 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 04/27/10 at 07:42 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Is the bartender going to continue to post even with the Chief back?

That last post leads me to believe that the “fvck it” attitude comes from many disappointing years as a laffs fan.

Losing is not acceptable, period.

Just for you, voox.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/27/10 at 07:59 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

It doesn’t come without heart.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/27/10 at 07:59 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

LGRW(!)

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/27/10 at 08:03 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Time to dump the grumpy old avatar for the game. Since I’ve been living in the Hasek since Sunday, I figured I’d go with the Super Chief Club Car pic.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 08:11 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by pgoody from the 2nd season, 2010, Howard’s run… on 04/27/10 at 06:33 PM ET

Muahahahaha love that moment in time.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/27/10 at 08:14 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

LGRW(!)
Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the poopship. on 04/27/10 at 07:03 PM ET

Unreal Voice
Unreal Hair
Unreal Band!

Posted by pgoody on 04/27/10 at 08:17 PM ET

Anyone have the YouTube link to the cbc video with helm saying this was the best moment of his life and the clips that go in reverse from last year

Posted by Ron from Toledo on 04/27/10 at 08:22 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Let us hope Uncle Mike wears the McGill tie…..........we need all the karma we can get.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/27/10 at 08:29 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Ah, fuch it. Lets go with a classic.

Lets get this shit going. And by that I don’t mean my heart. That’s been on the precipice of a full on coronary all day.

GO WINGS!

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 04/27/10 at 08:31 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

See you boys and girls at the LB. Off to pick up the dog and head home to an empty house. In a bit of serendipity my wife is baby sitting her grandkids tonight so I can yell as loud as I want at the tv.

I just better have something good to yell about, like the first goal of the game. 1 minute 33 seconds into the game. Mule.

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 08:32 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Awesome History will be Made…

Posted by pgoody on 04/27/10 at 08:33 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 04/27/10 at 07:31 PM ET

Ah, the return of the iced-up curling iron.  Now I can get comfortable.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/27/10 at 08:33 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Mule is overdue.  His only goal just kinda fell into his lap I think.  Get puck in deep bitches.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/27/10 at 08:35 PM ET

pilgrim's avatar

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/27/10 at 07:29 PM ET

I believe it was retired after the Gold medal win.

Time to break out the McGill g-string, Babsy.

Posted by pilgrim from the ice at the bottom of the world on 04/27/10 at 08:37 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

amazing.
If anyone wants to get some laughs in to chill out:
I have been listening to stand up all day. My new game 7 montra.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/27/10 at 08:38 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Beautiful choice Voox.

I don’t really have anything to say right now.  I just want to be here surrounded by other people who deeply understand how I feel.  Done.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 04/27/10 at 08:38 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Hey, VooX,
Are you suffering from dimentia…?
This isn’t their first opportunity to close the series…!

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/27/10 at 08:38 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I just don’t want to hear anyone say “Well…they did their best.”

Sean Connery has a saying…about those who fall back on that quote.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/27/10 at 08:40 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by RWBill from The bar on The Hasek. v00x! Hurry up Bitch! on 04/27/10 at 07:35 PM ET

FranzenFries?

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/27/10 at 08:40 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Just got home from parent teacher conference, the finale was a Power Point presentation he’d been working on for a few weeks. It was pretty neat for an 8 year old, typical stuff about family, dog, friends, sports… he said he loved playing baseball etc etc etc, all with custom backgrounds.
The last slide “Hockeytown” with some Wings pics on it.
I asked him where he got “THAT” from & all said was “google” and went back to narrating his presentation with a shit eating grin on his face.
That’s my “omen” for tonight, bitches.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/27/10 at 08:41 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by pgoody from the 2nd season, 2010, Howard’s run… on 04/27/10 at 07:33 PM ET

funny shit dude.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/27/10 at 08:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Red Wings just filed Flight Plan to fly to San Jose tonight after the game.
Bitches.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/27/10 at 08:46 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 on 04/27/10 at 07:41 PM ET

Makes a fellow dad smile man, good stuff. LGRW(!)

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/27/10 at 08:46 PM ET

Nati's avatar

Alright I’m checking in and right back out for the night. I really don’t handle playoff stress well, much less a game 7. I can’t even form my thoughts right now.

LGRW. I STILL believe in Jimmy Howard, so please don’t let me down!

Posted by Nati from school or work, either would apply on 04/27/10 at 08:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

FranzenFries?

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the poopship. on 04/27/10 at 07:40 PM ET

Hell, I’d eat Franzen’s curlies if he scored a hat trick.  Gimme a toothpick for later.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/27/10 at 08:47 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Holy sh**...this could be an epic night.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/27/10 at 08:47 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Losing is not acceptable, period.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/27/10 at 06:59 PM ET

Dub you made my night. Homer is the best, any way you look at it.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/27/10 at 08:48 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Red Wings just filed Flight Plan to fly to San Jose tonight after the game.
Bitches.

Posted by RWBill from The bar on The Hasek. v00x! Hurry up Bitch! on 04/27/10 at 07:46 PM ET

Aside from the obvious reasons that I want to win this game tonight, I REALLY want to play the Sharks.  How many years now have the Sharks and Wings both been dominant in the regular season (obviously not the Wings this year) and everyone talks about a playoff matchup between the two.  It would be fuching awesome.  Plus they don’t scare me in the slightest bit.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 04/27/10 at 08:48 PM ET