Abel to Yzerman

The Wings Have Turned The Minutes To Hours

And I have no idea where the love of god has gone.  No, that's not pessimism talking. That's not me saying that adorable cherub, that drooling, babbling bundle of baby fat and joy, our precious 8lb baby Jesus has forsaken us and punished us for our many, many sins.  Baby Jesus has not decreed the end of our (shortened) season.

I'm talking about Stress.  I'm talking about disgusting, horrific Stress.  It's going to overtime tonite.  Because it must.

Double overtime, because if this season is going to end tonite it's going to end in the most painful way possible.

I'll say it again, how awesome would it be if that little tazmanian bastard skated out for the opening faceoff?  Do you know what Darren Helm would add to this equation? I don't. Because I can't remember the last time he played.

The musty old hall will be rocking.  Hopefully, if providence allows, we'll hear the echoes of  "You..Got...Kronwalled". My god that is a beautiful invention.

Something else, and I have to tell you this because I've sucked as a blogger for the entire year.  I've left the carrier Navy and moved on to the shooters, the small boys, the little ships who blast away.  Two weeks ago I took over as Command Master Chief of a Destroyer here in San Diego and the pace is...unbelievable.  That's why I've been largely absent except for the live blogs.  I don't see the work slowing down but I will maintain the blog the best I can.

It's a Live Blog bitches.  One shift, one beer at a time.

LGRW

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 21 22 23 24 >       Next »

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Rumbear and I just scored two tickets to game 7.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/10/13 at 11:30 PM ET

Heres hoping you two have something to cheer about when the final horn sounds - -

Don’t know if there has ever been a double game-wrecker

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/10/13 at 11:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Talk about a sphincter minute goal, Kings scored with .2 of a second left in the second period

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/10/13 at 11:52 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Nitall. Sunday. Book it. Captian and Rummy. The dynamic duo.

I was thinking the “Abiguously Gay Duo” but… to each their own. cheese

Posted by calquake on 05/10/13 at 11:52 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I was thinking the “Abiguously Gay Duo” but… to each their own.
Posted by calquake on 05/10/13 at 11:52 PM ET

As long as I’m not Bruce.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/10/13 at 11:54 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Just finished watching the game.  Surprised I am still alive.  Refs tried their best to hand the ducks the game with that missed trip, but good on the wings for keeping on it.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/10/13 at 11:54 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 05/10/13 at 11:56 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Man do I feel like pancakes.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/10/13 at 11:59 PM ET

calquake's avatar

As long as I’m not Bruce.

That’s for you two to figure out, don’t get me involved. smile  Make us proud at the game.

Posted by calquake on 05/10/13 at 11:59 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Man do I feel like pancakes.
Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/10/13 at 11:59 PM ET

Isn’t Waffle House open 24/7?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/11/13 at 12:05 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

That’s for you two to figure out, don’t get me involved.  Make us proud at the game.
Posted by calquake on 05/10/13 at 11:59 PM ET

Kinda adds new meaning to “take one for the team,” don’t it?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/11/13 at 12:07 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Kinda adds new meaning to “take one for the team,” don’t it?

Do the letters T, M and I mean anything to you? LOL

Posted by calquake on 05/11/13 at 12:08 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Link to FSD Highlights.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/13 at 12:09 AM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Kronwalled.

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/10/13 at 07:41 PM ET

you got Kronwalled WOW  cool grin

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/11/13 at 12:10 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

This looks just like Ovechkin, floating into the defensive zone, hands at sides.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/13 at 12:10 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Do the letters T, M and I mean anything to you?
Posted by calquake on 05/11/13 at 12:08 AM ET

What George was going to call his blog, The Malik Inquisitor?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/11/13 at 12:10 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Wow… I think it’s time to smoke a cigarette.  Seez you’se guys Sunday.

Posted by calquake on 05/11/13 at 12:11 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Kings are doing their best to eliminate St.Lose tonight if anyone is still awake.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/11/13 at 12:12 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Not that this matters much by comparison, but LAK are 14:00 away from eliminating the Blues in 4 straight since the Blues won 2.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/13 at 12:15 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

3OT Victories this series. Everybody buy your powerball tickets!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/11/13 at 12:19 AM ET

calquake's avatar

They may have woken them up.  LAK has as good a chance to repeat as some of the Wings teams did.  No one is a lock… not Chicago, not Pitt, not San Jose and certainly not the Ducks.  I’ve seen a decent amount of King’s games this year, they are for real.

Posted by calquake on 05/11/13 at 12:20 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Staples is rockin’. It is never that loud for the Lakers. 10:00 to go. I’m jealous, the Kings look like they can hold a lead

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/11/13 at 12:21 AM ET

Bent's avatar

The reason FSD went to commercial in OT is BB called a timeout.  Because of the downtime, they went to commercial.  The goal was scored so fast after the break that I accidentally fast forwarded it past, but I thought it must have been from another game since it was the first thing I saw after the commercial.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/11/13 at 12:24 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/11/13 at 12:12 AM ET

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/13 at 12:15 AM ET

Still awake and watching.  The idea of the B’lose going down the tubes yet again and all those bitter bitch b’loser tears is like sweet, sweet nectar.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/11/13 at 12:26 AM ET

calquake's avatar

You nasty.

Posted by calquake on 05/11/13 at 12:30 AM ET

Trish's avatar

Cape of Confidence ??  What I wouldn’t do for a CBC broadcast . . ..

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 05/11/13 at 12:32 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/11/13 at 12:26 AM ET

The fact that the Blose won games one and two and are on the verge of a monumental choke by losing four straight makes that nectar even sweeter.

Westie, I forgot to comment on your comment on my avatar the other night. That is Gracie, our golden retriever. She’s a rescue we were so lucky to get two years ago. We also have a pure bred flat coated retriever. They are both terrific companions

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/11/13 at 12:32 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

See ya later St. Losers!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/11/13 at 12:40 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/11/13 at 12:32 AM ET

Gracie is a dead wringer for our golden retriever Montana who might be the happiest soul on the entire planet—but I guess most owners say that about their retrievers.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/11/13 at 12:51 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/11/13 at 12:51 AM ET

That is a fact.  My daughter would say the same about their 2 year old retriever.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/13 at 01:39 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Filppula just got resigned (Draper’s idea) to $1 contract.
He’ll score the GWG in Game 7 or Carlo Cola will while shattering his leg ripping a slapshot.

snake

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 05/11/13 at 02:52 AM ET

It shouldn’t have come to OT.  Fuch Fils.  That sumbitch has a Game Seven to unfuch himself.  Show up, Glamor Boy.  It’s the playoffs.

I’m ecstatic and drunk that the Wings won this game.  I don’t know how I’m gonna come down from this high, but YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/11/13 at 03:58 AM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Hopefully, if providence allows, we’ll hear the echoes of

“Jim..Mee…Howard”

. My god that is a beautiful invention.

Tis….

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/11/13 at 05:41 AM ET

dougie's avatar

So, I sez to myself…...“No WAY these guys can choke away ANOTHER 2 goal lead.”

So, now I have another addition to my Stupid Things I Have Said Hall Of Fame.

Fil should be ground into sausage, and served at the next team meal.

Posted by dougie on 05/11/13 at 07:01 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Sunday evening is gonna be a helluva ride.  Strap in, let go, be a fan.  Whatever happens is whatever happens, I’m happy with this year’s results.  Seriously… where would the Wings be if they had Helm and Der Kaiser?

Posted by calquake on 05/10/13 at 11:45 PM ET

This, this, a thousand times this.

Rumbear and Captain - I’m so excited for you guys!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/11/13 at 08:20 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Congratulations, Chief!  ...  Command Master Chief!

The following is in tribute to you:

What a little “Tin Can” (the Johnston) can do:

Engagement of Taffy 3 [edit]Main article: Battle off Samar:

On the morning of 23 October 1944, American submarines detected and attacked units of the Japanese fleet coming in from the South China Sea toward the precarious Leyte beachhead. The battleship-cruiser-destroyer Southern Force was decimated as it attempted to enter Leyte Gulf via Surigao Strait the night of 24/25 October. The more powerful battleship-cruiser-destroyer Center Force under Vice Admiral Takeo Kurita had been pounded by Admiral “Bull” Halsey’s attack carrier planes and presumably turned back from San Bernardino Strait. Admiral Halsey then raced north with his attack carriers and heavy battleships to engage a decoy Japanese carrier–battleship task force off Cape Engano. This left Johnston and her small escort carrier task unit as lonely sentinels in north Leyte Gulf, east of Samar and off San Bernardino Strait.

As enemy ships fled the Battle of Surigao Strait at daybreak of 25 October, the powerful Japanese Center Force slipped through San Bernardino Strait and into Leyte Gulf. It steamed along the coast of Samar directly for Johnston’s little task unit and the American invasion beachhead at Leyte, hoping to destroy amphibious shipping and American troops on shore.

One of the pilots flying patrol after dawn alert that morning reported the approach of Japanese Center Force. Steaming straight for “Taffy 3” were four battleships (including Yamato), eight cruisers (two light and six heavy), and 11 destroyers. Johnston’s gunnery officer—Lieutenant Robert C. Hagen—later reported, “We felt like little David without a slingshot.” In less than a minute, Johnston was zigzagging between the six escort carriers and the Japanese fleet and putting out a smoke screen over a 2,500 yd (2,300 m) front to conceal the carriers from the enemy gunners: “Even as we began laying smoke, the Japanese started lobbing shells at us and the Johnston had to zigzag between the splashes…. We were the first destroyer to make smoke, the first to start firing, the first to launch a torpedo attack….”[2]

For the first 20 minutes, Johnston could not return fire as the enemy cruisers and battleships’ heavy guns outranged Johnston’s 5 in (130 mm) guns. Not waiting for orders, Commander Evans broke formation and went on the offensive by ordering Johnston to speed directly toward the enemy—first a line of seven destroyers, next one light and three heavy cruisers, then the four battleships. To the east appeared three other cruisers and several destroyers.

As soon as range closed to within ten miles, Johnston fired on the heavy cruiser Kumano—the nearest ship—and scored several damaging hits. During her five-minute sprint into torpedo range, Johnston fired over 200 rounds at the enemy, then—under the direction of torpedo officer Lieutenant Jack K. Bechdel—made her torpedo attack. She got off all 10 torpedoes, then turned to retire behind a heavy smoke screen. When she came out of the smoke a minute later, Kumano could be seen burning furiously from a torpedo hit; her bow had been blown completely off, and she was forced to withdraw. Around this time, Johnston took three 14 in (360 mm) shell hits from Kongō, followed closely by three 6 in (150 mm) shells—from either a light cruiser or Yamato—which hit the bridge. The hits resulted in the loss of all power to the steering engine and all power to the three 5-inch guns in the aft part of the ship, and rendered the gyrocompass useless. A low-lying squall came up, and Johnston “ducked into it” for a few minutes of rapid repairs and salvage work. The bridge was abandoned and Commander Evans—who had lost two fingers on his left hand—went to the aft steering column to conn the ship.

At 07:50, Admiral Sprague ordered destroyers to make a torpedo attack: “small boys attack”. Johnston, unable to keep position with her damaged engine, and with her torpedoes already expended, nonetheless moved to provide fire support for the other destroyers. As she emerged from a smoke screen, she nearly collided with fellow destroyer Heermann. At 08:20, Johnston sighted a Kongō-class battleship—only 7,000 yd (6,400 m) away—emerging through the smoke. The destroyer opened fire, scoring multiple hits on the superstructure of the much larger ship. The return fire from the battleship missed clearly.

Johnston soon observed Gambier Bay under fire from an enemy cruiser, and engaged the cruiser in an effort to draw her fire away from the carrier. Johnston scored four hits on the heavy cruiser, then broke off as the Japanese destroyer squadron was seen closing rapidly on the American escort carriers. Johnston engaged the lead ship until it quit, then the second until the remaining enemy units broke off to get out of effective gun range before launching torpedoes, all of which missed. Then, Johnston’s luck ran out; she came under heavy fire from multiple enemy ships, and right when it was most needed, the damaged remaining engine quit, leaving her dead in the water.

Under attack from all sides [edit]The enemy ships closed in for an easy kill, pouring fire into the crippled destroyer. Johnston took a hit which knocked out one forward gun and damaged another, and her bridge was rendered untenable by fires and explosions resulting from a hit in her 40 mm ready ammunition locker. Evans—who had shifted his command to Johnston’s fantail—was yelling orders through an open hatch to men turning her rudder by hand. Crewmen from the destroyer escort Samuel B. Roberts spotted Evans at the fantail, asking “isn’t that their captain”, waving to them with what they did not realize was his only good hand.

At one of her batteries, a crewman kept calling “More shells! More shells!”[2] Still the destroyer battled to keep the Japanese destroyers and cruisers from reaching the five surviving American carriers: “We were now in a position where all the gallantry and guts in the world couldn’t save us, but we figured that help for the carrier must be on the way, and every minute’s delay might count…. By 9:30 we were going dead in the water; even the Japanese couldn’t miss us. They made a sort of running semicircle around our ship, shooting at us like a bunch of Indians attacking a prairie schooner. Our lone engine and fire room was knocked out; we lost all power, and even the indomitable skipper knew we were finished. At 9:45 he gave the saddest order a captain can give: ‘Abandon Ship.’... At 10:10 Johnston rolled over and began to sink. A Japanese destroyer came up to 1,000 yards and pumped a final shot into her to make sure she went down. A survivor saw the Japanese captain salute her as she went down. That was the end of Johnston.”[2]

From Johnston’s complement of 327 officers and men, only 141 were saved. Of the 186 men lost, about 50 were killed out-right by enemy action, 45 men later died on rafts from wounds; and 92 men—including Cmdr. Evans—got off Johnston before she sank, but were never heard from again.

Posted by w2j2 on 05/11/13 at 08:25 AM ET

dougie's avatar

If I had known it was acceptable to wear bib overalls in the restaurant at The Marriot in Nashville, then I would have brought mine along.

Four men. Separate parties and tables. Bib overalls. Marriott. Welcome to Tennessee.

Posted by dougie on 05/11/13 at 10:12 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by dougie on 05/11/13 at 10:12 AM ET

I have a desire to keep visiting places in this country and others.  Nashville is just not very high on the list.  I drove through it late on a Saturday night when I was young but did not stop.  That might suffice.

I lived in Augusta GA for several years and I’d say the people there kept up a measure of dignity with their dress, especially in traditional large family going out for Sunday dinner after church gatherings.  Old times there are not forgotten.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/13 at 10:32 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by w2j2 on 05/11/13 at 08:25 AM ET

thanks for that info from Alpena.  Who knows how many unknown acts of bravery took place by thousands of people that have never received any recognition.  it’s just what they did.

I’ve been thinking lately that at Memorial Day weekend I need to find what network may be airing Band of Brothers, or schedule myself for it at the local liebarry.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/13 at 10:39 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/13 at 10:39 AM ET

$19.99+free shiiping=eBay FTW.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/11/13 at 10:50 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I posted a couple of other photos last night around the net for Datsyuk’s first goal.

This is as Zetterberg is about to launch the GWG.  Hiller at first had Abdelkader and two Ducks right in line, the outer Duck has drifted left in this picture.

Hiller is forced to break goalie save position, with his legs spread apart whore-style,  and lean to the right just to see wtf is going on.

In addition to scoring one, Justin was instrumental in obstructing Hiller on two other goals.  I think Justin’s goal didn’t hit Cleary, but Hiller really didn’t know where it was and it may have bounced off his own shoulder.  Haven’t seen a good replay of that one from behind the net.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/13 at 10:52 AM ET