Abel to Yzerman

The West Is On Fire

And it's burning to the tune of "Chelsea Dagger."

I'd love to tell the naysayers to suck it, but I'd be telling myself to suck it and that's just awkward.

This is absolutely insane.  Discuss as you see fit and I'm sure George will be right behind me with a 5000 word recap that he'll call "quick".  All I can possibly type at this point is that, once again, this is the postseason none of us ever saw coming, but--because of who we are (Red Wing fans)--it's the one we deserve.

LGRW.  9 to 12 and 5 until this conference is burned to the ground once and for all by the team that kept it afloat and ruled it for twenty years.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3

OlderThanChelios's avatar

We’re a good team—we’re a really good team. We have a lot of players with some great ability in this locker room, and when you put it all together and we play the right way, we’re an amazing, amazing bunch of guys.

That’s Jonny Boy Toes from about 12 hours ago. And now? Well, right about now he getting ready to fly back to Chitown on a plane filled with cheese and a whole lot of whine.

I thought the sight of Corey Ferry kneeling on the ice in tears at the end of Game 7 was as good as it was going to get for Wings fans in this playoffs. But the sight of Jonny Boy’s whining, crying, tantrum-flummoxed face at the end of tonight’s game? Well, that’s just soooo much better.

It’s about 12 to 12 on my clock, but it’s definitely 9 to 12 in my heart. This has been one of the craziest Wings seasons ever. It’s only fitting that they should beat all of the odds, and all of the prognosticators, and make it their strangest Cup ever.

What better way to leave the West in flames before moving on to wreak havoc in the East.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/23/13 at 10:45 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

I like our team”
Aquote of the year

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/23/13 at 10:52 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Fuch, you’ve gone completely sideways, man.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/23/13 at 10:55 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

this is just funny ...

Bickell got “rocked”:

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/23/13 at 10:57 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Outstanding game. OutFuckingStanding!

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 05/23/13 at 11:01 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

and make it their strangest Cup ever.

SWM

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 11:10 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I like our team”
Aquote of the year

Posted by

Rdwings28

on 05/23/13 at 11:52 PM ET

Crow is GREASY

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 11:10 PM ET

Until I see the Wings on the winning side of the scoreboard with 00:00.0 showing on the clock at the end of the third period of Game Five, sorry, I love you guys to pieces, but forgive me for being a bit cautious about gloating.  Per Wings presser, “We haven’t won anything.”

Bring on Game Five.  Let’s just play.

That doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy a victorious pint of Guinness in the meantime.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/24/13 at 12:35 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Bring on Game Five.  Let’s just play.

That doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy a victorious pint of Guinness in the meantime.

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/24/13 at 01:35 AM ET

Exactly. No gloating. No jink.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/24/13 at 08:53 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Whore mouths, shutty.
Let’s just play.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/24/13 at 09:22 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I just woke up. It’s a little past 7:30am out here on the left coast. I had the most amazing dream last night. The Wings shut out the mighty President’s Trophy winning Blackhawks and lead the series 3-1.

Heck of a dream, right? I was always told I had an over active imagination.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/24/13 at 09:48 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I had to grab an extra double rye on rocks last night to get the highlight reel to shut off so I could sleep. It was glorious.

I have a friend, a union brother, who lives in Chicago and is a Blackhawks season ticket holder. He’s one of the few in that arena who hates the bandwagoneers and Chelsea Dagger as much as the rest of us. All around, he’s a good guy, and he’s beside himself trying to figure out this meltdown. It’s not hard to figure out. We saw it in Denver. Composure ends where Q’s mustache begins.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/24/13 at 10:06 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I really need to start watching the CBC broadcasts somehow.  their ice-level mics are turned up, and the announcers are the best in the biz.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/24/13 at 10:56 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/24/13 at 11:56 AM ET

I love Bob Cole. But VooX and seemingly many Canadians have grown tired of him. Cool. Have CBC dump him they way they dumped the best theme music in televised sports. Let NBC pick up Cole and Hrudey. I’ll take them over Doc Mike and Edsuck any day.

I watched some of the King v. Sharks last night and I enjoyed Joe Micheletti calling the game. Can someone start an online petition to the NHL that NBC announcers that are employed an NHL team (or that team’s Broadcast Partner) are barred from calling games for that team on NBC broadcasts. For example, Edsuck is the Cawks regular color guy during the season, so he should not be calling Cawks games on network broadcasts.

Even my wife noticed how biased Edsuck is in favor of the Cawks.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/24/13 at 11:22 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/24/13 at 11:56 AM ET

Last night my boy turned on the tube, changed the channel and said, “Dad, dad, the game is aboot that start.”
I stopped working, took one look and slapped that boy upside his head exclaiming “You must get that from your mothers side; this the wrong frikken channel boy!”
I promptly changed the alter from 206 to 999: CBCHD. No way I’m having that NBC clown crew diss the Wings for 3 hours in my house. CBC may not be Mick-n-Ken, but they do hockey right.
He then says, “That’s not FSD.”
I only shake my head in bewilderment that the boy knows whats right, but has to take it whorestyle from Gary with no vasoline.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 05/24/13 at 11:34 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/23/13 at 11:57 PM ET

Dude falls down twice on the way to the bench, but never left the bench and rolled back over the boards for his next shift. You’d think he’d have had a time out in the quiet room.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/24/13 at 11:58 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

monkey - was that Kerouac you were on last night?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/24/13 at 02:04 PM ET

Beautifully said. I woke my ass up at 8am to watch this in the Philippines after 22 hours of flying. So glad it was the magnificent work of art I wanted it to be. James with the shutout. Team defense functioning at a high level. I’m so fuching happy right now.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/23/13 at 10:59 PM ET

Oy vey, the fried chicken, man.  If you have no other choice but to have fried chicken, make sure it’s Max’s.  Otherwise, you’re on your own, handsome.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/24/13 at 03:57 PM ET

monkey's avatar

monkey - was that Kerouac you were on last night?

Isn’t everyone?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 05/24/13 at 07:16 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/24/13 at 12:58 PM ET

rewatching the game tonight and saw that ....  exactly ... obviously the Hawks must not care about their players health ... I thought the NHL had special rules for that?

as for rewatching it gawd Edzo is even worse the 2nd time around ... aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/24/13 at 09:29 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2 3