Abel to Yzerman

The Talk After A 5-2 Loss To Nashville

Not sure when videos will be posted but this sums up the night for the Wings.

added 9:54pm,

added 9:57pm, Hit o Seider is below.

added 10:46pm, Game highlights are below.  added 10:49pm, Larkin and Blashill below.

Highlights

Larkin and Blashill

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Not 100% sure if an AHL suspended Witkowski
could in fact have played, but this was a game you dress him for.

I’m sorry to say I called it: Nashville runs around and dresses
multiple fighters. It was a matter of time before someone took
a run at Seider or Raymond high. This is Tanner Jeanot’a game:
he runs around and throws borderline hits. I’m not saying this was
the worse I’ve seen. But he’s hitting to hurt. He’s hitting to drive an
opponent up high into the glass. This is how Michael Ferland used to play.

Borowiecki…Jeanot, Harpur, Trenin

And we have one rookie who can fight.

Note Tanner Jeanot sort of smiling and chuckling on the bench after he
injures Seider. This is why we have Witkowski folks.
Yeah he’s a tough fighter, but when a team like Nashville runs around
they’ll at least know Witkowski is coming for their star players.

If he couldn’t dress, ok, that sucks. If it was a coach’s decision,
great thanks for DeKeyser doing nothing and a -2

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/07/21 at 10:18 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

the hit on Seider was charging…that should have started a brawl…

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 12/07/21 at 10:25 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

and before that hit Seider was absolutely marvelous out there. The reincarnation of Larry Robinson..

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 12/07/21 at 10:28 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

From the one angle it sure looked like a shoulder to the jaw to me.  Guess those aren’t illegal anymore.  But then again, what is a penalty these days?

Posted by Hootinani on 12/07/21 at 10:53 PM ET

I definitely think the Pred is getting a phone call tomorrow. Crystal clear on replay.

Posted by pnwwing on 12/07/21 at 11:38 PM ET

Can’t count on the league for anything.

Coach and GM should have seen this a mile away.

I had no idea Seider and Raymond would be this good,
this soon.

But my big worry was Seider would come in, be a precious
top-four D, and quickly become a target for opponents to take out of games.

we don’t have the lineup to line brawl with anyone.
But we sure as hell need Witkowski in the next Nashville game
to wipe that sick smile off of Jeanot’s face.

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/07/21 at 11:45 PM ET

precocious

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/07/21 at 11:46 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by pnwwing on 12/07/21 at 11:38 PM ET

I think he deserves a call from DoPS. Whether or not he gets one is another matter entirely. How many times have our guys been charged, boarded, and crosschecked with little to no push back from officials or DoPS this year alone? At this point, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/08/21 at 02:03 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

The loss ended the Wings’ (13-10-3) five-game win streak, which was the Wings’ longest streak since 2019. It was also only the Wings’ third regulation time loss at Little Caesars Arena this season in 14 games (9-3-2).

The Wings now hit the road for back-to-back games in St. Louis (Thursday) and Colorado (Friday).

““We have to forget this one quickly,” Larkin said. “We have two more teams from the West that are tough, on the road, and we have to set our focus on that. Those are huge hockey games for our team.

“The biggest thing now is how we respond in St. Louis and Colorado.”

Nashville jumped out to a 2-0 first-period lead on goals by Ryan Johansen (power play) and Roman Josi, and never let up.

Blashill felt the poor start was costly.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/08/21 at 03:21 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I am with you Lefty, Witkowski should have been in this game. This is a bad call on Blashill unless he was honoring the AHL suspension. Yzerman called him up, so he was available. He could of easily replaced Rowney.

Ras’ goal was a thing of beauty! These are the types of goals he scored in the juniors. Hopefully this gets him going offensively.

Smith has been playing better of late.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 12/08/21 at 07:26 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

If I didn’t know better I would think Nash and Det were still in the same division.  Nashville played like it was a playoff game.  Kind of seemed malicious for a game they were in total control of.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 12/08/21 at 09:48 AM ET

But my big worry was Seider would come in, be a precious
top-four D, and quickly become a target for opponents to take out of games.

Also Larkin was hit yesterday more than he was hit in the last 10 games I think. Borowiecki was clearly given an assignment to destroy our captain.

Not 100% sure if an AHL suspended Witkowski
could in fact have played

He was recalled so he could have played I believe

Posted by VPalmer on 12/08/21 at 10:02 AM ET

DDK comes back and Seider’s minutes get cut down drastically and DDK is -2 and we lose the game.

Definitely just a coincidence.

There’s no reason for DDK to be on the team next year with Gustav.

Gustav is younger and better defensively and plays a similar style.

Staal can come back. Staal is older, bigger, stronger, a better D and smarter than DDK. He will probably come cheaper than DDK too.

DDK needs to go the way of the dodo bird like Errorson, helm and Glendening. Let DDK go ruin another team.

Posted by retrospecd on 12/08/21 at 11:02 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Seider’s minutes get cut down drastically

You need to do more than look at the stat sheet.

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/08/21 at 11:58 AM ET

Thanks guys.

I wasn’t sure if you could call up a suspended player
have him practice with you, but had to wait the two games to dress him.
If not, it was stubborn and stupid. We don’t need Rowney on PK that much;
he’s not that good at faceoffs. Of course Witkowski could swing between RW and D.
Witkowski can divert some of Borowicecki’s attention and take him off the ice
for five mins. He can give both Nashville’s tough guys and skill players something to worry about themselves. He gives Givani Smith - still a young guy - some support.

I don’t care if Witkowski wasn’t super polished in terms of details the team’s been practicing. You see him during warmups and on the bench and that alone helps deter a little bit. This was the one game I’d have wanted him in most.
Foreseeable opponents would increasingly take runs at Seider and predictable Nashville would dress that lineup and play that way. Stupid. Last thing you need is your captain getting hurt again or your stat rookie defensemen who’s had shoulder injuries missing time with more of that or with concussions. Incompetent decision by Blashill. I don’t care if Rowney is a marginally better hockey player in the ten mins he’s on the ice. Penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind.

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/08/21 at 03:23 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Witkowski can divert some of Borowicecki’s attention and take him off the ice

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/08/21 at 03:23 PM ET

Witter was definitely needed on the ice last night. I cannot for the life of me understand why he wasn’t in. Unless he couldn’t go due to his suspension, there is absolutely no excuse for him not to play.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/08/21 at 03:40 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

I agree with all you guys, the Coaching staff screwed up and left the guys vulnerable.  They literally manhandled the guys.  The guys pushed back and give them credit but we didn’t have the muscle in the lineup.  Its unconsciousable that a team can come into your barn and intimidate you like that.  We need at least one line that can play heavy like them.  Now Nashville has been playing top of their game but obviously their game plan was to thump the Wings.  Our preparation seemed to be no where, I mean scout the teams coming in, you got to list those guys like Josi who will run the whole team, look at the films and if you don’t come out and line the guys up, hit them, you send the message of a NBC game.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 12/08/21 at 04:30 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Just to add a thought, expect the same from St Louis and Colorado.  They scount and realize we got a young skilled team with no push back,  There is probably little said about protecting your stars like Fabbri will Raymond.  If I was Coach I would send a pregame message to the Blues coach, you run any of our guys we run your goalie first, then your #1 skater.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 12/08/21 at 04:38 PM ET

BIGFOOT88's avatar

As Retro astutely pointed out above….DDK should never be iced again ! But hell, myself and many others have been saying this for years !!

I am soooo sick of watching the big, clumsy, talent-challenged, puss-boy wearing the Winged Wheel !!

I have asked same question forever: Just what does DDK do on the ice, that has a positive effect on the outcome of the game ??  Anyone ??

-BIGFOOT

Posted by BIGFOOT88 on 12/08/21 at 04:51 PM ET

Well, if anything, I was interested in seeing how the Wings, especially this edition of the Wings, would handle a team built like a playoff team just using us as doormats to polish their own game for the playoffs.

Wings have a lot - A LOT - of scars to earn.  And I can’t wait to see how really, really good they’re gonna be when they’re as tough and hungry as the Preds.

The Wings needed a game like this, honestly.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 12/08/21 at 05:48 PM ET

Bert would have been very helpful too in these type of games

Posted by VPalmer on 12/08/21 at 09:10 PM ET