Abel to Yzerman

The Summer of Ken: 2013

This is hilarious.

There is no way on God’s green earth that all three of those players will be in the Wings lineup in two years. The Wings don’t work that way.

That's Mandingo, last night, responding to another bit of prescient prose from lead Digger, Helene St. James-Holland. And he's right. It's hilarious.

Here's what HSJ-H said after her benefactor, Ken Holland, directed her to.

The Wings also have to consider that in another year, they likely will be adding three talented forwards from their system in Tomas Jurco, Riley Sheahan and Landon Ferraro.

She wrote that. I didn't make it up. George even posted it and George doesn't dabble in speculation. I do. It's my thing.

LeCavaliar will probably end up in Dallas (said Holland as translated by HSJ-H).

The Wings will likely be adding three talented forwards...(but not any UFAs or anyone via trade because we like our team, we like our system, we like our approach, we like every fuching thing there is to like about our situation because we're the Detroit Red Wings and what's not to like, Helene? What? Write that down, but not like that, go ahead and say that Jurco, Ray's kid and that wrong-way driving Teletubby will be coming up in a year and we'll be all set. All. Set. Get all that?)

Do you have to literally believe what you write anymore? Is there a requirement to have a shred of conviction? She really, without attributing anything, said those three will likely be Wings in "another year".  If Jurco, Ferraro and Sheahan are up in a year we're all in rehab.

So, Vinnie goes to Philly (one of our new rivals, while you're bullshitting) for 4.5 and 4 and a NTC.  I guess his pace (new term Kenny told the Diggers to use so that they don't have to write he's too slow) wasn't what the Wings were looking for.  Ok. It was a "hockey decision", I'm sure. Not a financial one, or one based on the now highly effective approach that free agents will come to Detroit for less money and less term because of the...what? Yeah, I can't answer it either.

And Stephen Weiss now?  Khan(!), who used to be Deep Digger captain but absolutely must be replaced by St. James-Holland because baby Jesus says so...Khan(!) said Weiss used to be called...

“Weisserman'' because of his similarities to former Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman.

That's gonna go over real well.

30 years old. A midget like Happy. Good faceoff guy. Blah, bluh, blah.  I'd like him. I said that and even typed it.  But here's what's gonna happen:  Wally's gone. Off to some place like Winnipeg for 5.5. Never to be heard from again, kind of like most of the last two seasons in Detroit.  Weiss will sign with, I don't know, Buffalo. Too steep, according to a poll of JLA employees. Tires kicked. Discussions had. Vote taken. Negative. Not Kenny's fault. We like our team.

But here's the thing.  We kinda do.  We liked them in May and we still do.  We like the D, even though I'd be tempted to keep ColiacoWTF.  Without him, we're thin and nobody's coming up. We like the forwards, especially...(you fill it in and use the Helm word).

We like them, but we're tired of the patter.  Just because Kenny likes this team doesn't mean it can't be dramatically improved.  But it won't be. Because it's not the Winged Way anymore.  It just isn't. They're not going to spend. Risks are not allowed. Apple carts must absolutely remain untipped.

And so Friday another SOK will begin and end in a span of 72 hours.  Remember...we called. Talked to a lot of people, a lot of teams. A lot of agents. The money wasn't right and when it comes right down to it, when you consider Sammy's gonna be good by October and Bert's back to his old self and Helmer's gonna be back and, shit, Tatar is right on the cusp, plus DON'T FORGET DEKEYSER.  In the long run, we just decided we like this team. Always have.

Holes to fill. Money to spend. Hands to sit on.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Colo bought out = 10.7m cap space

Smith + Gus + Andersson = 5m
Brunner = 3.5m

Net = ~2.2m

That’s not enough money to get a 2nd line center which is where the Darren Helm PR comes into play.

That’s also not enough money to get a top 4 d-man, which is where nothing changes beyond a permanent Lashoff promotion and perhaps a cast-off on the cheap for 1-1.5m that they hope will pan out.

Holland has to make a trade or this roster is going to look nearly the same as last season with Helm back-filling in for Fils.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/03/13 at 08:12 AM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

Love it

Posted by joedaiceman on 07/03/13 at 08:12 AM ET

If any ufa did their homework they will realize that they don’t need a NTC or NMC because holland never trades roster players, hell he can’t even buy them out, so once you sign with the Wings you have a job for life.

Posted by bababooey on 07/03/13 at 08:14 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Is this the same Sheahan who had a cup of coffee with the Wings this season and Babock announced he wasn’t even close to being NHL ready?

Again, I’m just sick that we weren’t even close to getting Vinny.
Holland poisoned the waters early with comments like “We don’t like his compete level”, or “we don’t like those terms”.
He forgot to add “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to pleasure myself to Johan Franzen’s 11-year contract I signed him too. I love his compete level and that he’s visible for 21 games a season”.

I’m a spoiled Wings fan. I was spoiled in the late 90’s and early 2000’s when the Wings were always at the top for any available player via free agency or trade.
Now? We can’t convince anyone to come here.

Posted by Hank1974 on 07/03/13 at 08:20 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I would’ve liked Lecavalier in a Wings jersey. Not for 5 years when he’s already been on a steady decline for three or four seasons. And given that he was all too happy to add another big cap hit to a team already in cap troubles, maybe he’s really not the type of team player we would want around anyways.

I would love the Wings to improve the team, add a difference-maker… but where is that player in UFA? The only guys out there with difference-maker talent are Iginla and Briere, and you run into a similar problem with them that you do with Lecavalier—some desperate team, or a bottom-feeder just wanting to hit the floor, will give them a higher AAV and/or term than is at all reasonable for a team that is trying to be competitive every year.

Weiss is a solid player. But how is he different from Filppula? He’s more of a shoo-in to score 20 goals and 50 points, but he’s not on the same level defensively. And he’s also 30 now. And also coming off injuries. If he’s available at the $3.1 million cap hit he had before, or less, awesome. But if Filppula is projecting as a $5 million cap hit player, what are the odds Weiss is as low as $3 million any more?

In UFA most years, I want the Wings to make shrewd signings, of guys that are affordable, fit very specific needs, or in the case of someone like a Lecavalier, have a high reward possibility even if the risk is somewhat high as well. Manage the cap space well, and take your shots the years when truly top players become available, just like last year with Parise and Suter.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/03/13 at 08:24 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/03/13 at 09:12 AM ET

Who is the mystical top four D that you want this team to add this offseason that is an improvement over Kronwall-Ericsson and Kindl-Quincey? Let’s not forget, this team was very good defensively at even-strength the second half of the season and the playoffs. The weakness on the D right now is puck movement, and Kindl, Quincey, and Smith all improved dramatically in that area down the stretch and into the playoffs, with DeKeyser showing briefly a good ability to make a first pass and skate the puck out of trouble.

If the money were there, would you want to take a shot on Ryan Whitney? He’s the only UFA D out there that has a somewhat proven track record of being a good puck mover on your top two pairings. There are some more attractive names on the RFA list, but that comes with all the politics of the offer sheet and will inherently be doubly expensive since it costs both money and draft picks.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/03/13 at 08:30 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

In UFA most years, I want the Wings to make shrewd signings, of guys that
are affordable, fit very specific needs, or in the case of someone like a
Lecavalier, have a high reward possibility even if the risk is somewhat high
as well. Manage the cap space well, and take your shots the years when truly
top players become available, just like last year with Parise and Suter.

That’s the problem though. Nobody wants to come here anymore.
Back in the day, all the free agents wanted in. We were a contending club, but our front office also showed a willingness to go for it with big signings.

But that’s not it is anymore. The Wings have a dilapidated building and a front office that has the ferocity of a kitten.

There’s very little incentive to play here anymore.

Posted by Hank1974 on 07/03/13 at 08:32 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Now? We can’t convince anyone to come here.

Worse. We’re not interested in convincing anyone.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/03/13 at 08:42 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/03/13 at 09:24 AM ET

I agree with pretty much all of this. That’s why I think the only options left at this point are re-signing Filppula and maybe taking a run at Iginla if he’s available for cheap, which he probably won’t be. Weiss is basically an older, smaller Filppula with less defensive upside and slightly more offensive upside.

If they’re going to pay Weiss ~$5 million per, they may as well pay Filppula ~$5 million per.

Posted by Hank1974 on 07/03/13 at 09:20 AM ET

...and the same Jurco who the pundits were all saying was “four years away” last year.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 07/03/13 at 08:46 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/03/13 at 09:24 AM ET

Agree on my accords, although the idea of Lecavalier as a 4.5-5m per player in year 4 when the cap ceiling projects to 80m is much easier for me to digest in particular when you think of the other respon

Curious to hear how Weiss still seems like a viable option from your perspective.  Unless I"m missing something I don’t see how they can afford to get any UFA that runs 3m+ given the roster situation right now (assuming Brunner is back).

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/03/13 at 08:51 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/03/13 at 09:30 AM ET

I’m going off of what we’ve been told was a priority for the Wings, not what I want personally.  Combine that with the message that they were shopping Colo and/or Quincey and I can see why the idea of them getting access to a pending UFA D-man that wanted to sign here like Whitney (or landing a guy like Couborn via trade) seems like it would’ve been a viable way to go.

Agree with you as well regarding the direction the club is taking on defense, we’re on a really good path.  That said,  there is still considerable risk associated with an 82 regular game season where 4 of your roster d-men (Kindl, Smith, DeKeyser, Lashoff) have yet to experience as regular everyday options.  I can see certainly see why the club expressed the need publicly.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/03/13 at 09:00 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

“Weisserman’’ because of his similarities to former Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman.

I will fight anyone who makes that statement around me. Any ONE!  cool mad  wink
Sir Scotty Bowman as a member of the Red Wings organ-i-zation: Great franchise who top line players wanted to play for and trades happened. They feckin’ happened, confarnit!
Sir Scotty Bowman as a member of the Blackhawks organization: (I can’t even comment)

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/03/13 at 09:20 AM ET

<Holes to fill. Money to spend. Hands to sit on. >

Nothing else left to be said. Summarized quite succinctly.

Posted by Rsambo00 on 07/03/13 at 09:24 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

<Holes to fill. Money to spend. Hands to sit on. >
Nothing else left to be said. Summarized quite succinctly.
Posted by Rsambo00 on 07/03/13 at 10:24 AM ET

At the end of the day (summer) there should never, EVER be money to spend. Looks like there will be two summers in a row where this is the case. WTF?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/03/13 at 09:36 AM ET

I once worked somewhere where my department head got a bonus at the end of the year that was 50% of however much below budget our department was. We all knew it and hated it. He was cheap, we all got shitty raises/bonuses and any request made for equipment/supplies was met with a “we will see about it next year.”

I worry Kenny is in a situation just like *#$%@& boss Jim and is saving up for a boat..

Posted by lancer on 07/03/13 at 09:51 AM ET

The_Firebird's avatar

Just you wait, in the coming weeks Ken Holland will be kicking tires so hard that he’ll need splints for his toes.

Posted by The_Firebird on 07/03/13 at 09:54 AM ET

This was another Tire Kicking Offseason brought to you by Bell Tire….

Posted by lancer on 07/03/13 at 09:56 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by lancer on 07/03/13 at 10:51 AM ET

Did your old boss also continuously hire and promote guys to his inner circle that had no industry experience in their new roles?

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/03/13 at 09:59 AM ET

Worse. We’re not interested in convincing anyone

Ding Ding, we have a winner.  I can’t believe the Wings were not even interested in competing for Vinny’s services.

Posted by bababooey on 07/03/13 at 10:01 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I love how KH has convinced us depth now means quantity and not quality.  And now he just has to say, we have depth and everyone’s happy.  If depth were a swimming pool, we’d be an olympic sized kiddie pool (That gets deep at the very top end, in the middle) and water levels are dropping every year (since we don’t draft top 10 picks).  We had a chance to move some pieces around and add some REAL depth and we weren’t interested?  With that resume, Detroits record with vets, that size, spending year after year telling fans these players don’t grow on trees, they aren’t hitting FA anymore teams are locking them up.. blah.. blah.. blah… we don’t even act interested?  That’s because we KNOW we’ll get Weiss, right?  And if Weiss is similar to your departing Filpulla, do you really think he’s going to take less to be a Wing?

Hossa was an anomaly, get, the fuch over it.  You were the luckiest SOB the morning his agent called you while you were on the turn pounding High-Lifes..  Why do you act like every other FA is SUPPOSED to do it.

I also wonder how, with Boston paying market prices, they managed to pick up Horton and still field a full roster.  How’d they possibly make it to the finals twice in 3 years?  I guess they did have to give up top prospects for nothing through waivers.. wait, they didn’t?..  Something isn’t computing here.

Again, the reason for the HOMETOWN discount is to have money to buy missing pieces because they cost a lot on the open market.  They do this because they want to WIN.  I don’t blame Cleary and Filpulla and Brunner for nickle and diming KH.  He sits on cap space year after year meanwhile asking players to take discounts to stay.. for???? rebuilding on the fly?  sounds awesome.  I’m sure FA’s can’t wait to take 50% of market value to play for that.

I could go on for days, I’ll just stop now.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/13 at 10:06 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The devil you know….

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/03/13 at 10:07 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by lancer on 07/03/13 at 10:51 AM ET

I think it’s more likely he’s in a situation where his boss’s other team has a $150 million payroll and is in legitimate danger of not making the playoffs.

One of the aspects no one seems to be talking about is that the Tigers are in complete, unmitigated disaster mode right now. Their attendance is down and the team, which was supposed to be a lock to win the AL Central and the favorites to win the World Series, has utterly sh*t the bed so far this year, and they look fat, lazy, and disinterested on the field.

If that’s happening in one division of a company I own, I’m not looking to throw more money at another division. I’m looking to cut my losses.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 07/03/13 at 10:07 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Picturing Holland in the clubhouse pounding High-Life’s just clicked a lightbulb for me that makes everything make sense.  Holland is the GM equivalent of Alec Baldwin (at least every character he plays anymore)  I’ve thought he sounded half tossed before in lots of interviews, eyes almost closed like the guy on 3rd Rock, saying uhhhhhhhhh continuous for more than 5 seconds.. I thought it might just be a Canadian thing.  In retrospect, he was probably doing keg-stands with Murph, thinking about hitting the golf-course ASAP.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/13 at 10:13 AM ET

davisrc19's avatar

Detroit’s goaltending stayed the same, DeKeyser replacing Colaiacovo improves the defense and experience improved the offense. All for a team that was a bad call away from the conference finals. Lecavalier is a nice guy but we already have one Franzen. Barring some unforeseen miracle, I’d keep the roster where it is and keep the money for an emergency or deadline deal.

Posted by davisrc19 on 07/03/13 at 10:17 AM ET

I can name that Kenny Holland UFA trade deadline tune in 4 notes:  “We like our team”
Leyland’s loyalty to Donnykellybaby, is the best way to explain how and why Daniel Cleary remains on the Wings roster.

Posted by beelza on 07/03/13 at 10:28 AM ET

That’s precious, emergency deadline deal.  grin Because we all know Ken Holland makes deadline deals.  With all due respect, he has had the cap space and even the parts to make deals at the deadline and never has, he is incapable of trading roster players.  He has lost the guts and foresight needed to manage this team.

Posted by bababooey on 07/03/13 at 10:29 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by davisrc19 on 07/03/13 at 11:17 AM ET

I do think DeKeyser will be a better d-man than Colo long term, it’ll be interesting to see if opponents will exploit some flaws (assuming they exist) in his game this coming season.  Rarely do you see d-men thrive in this league in the sub 25 age group.  Colo was at least a proven commodity in that regard despite the fact that he’ll never be close to a top pair option like DeKeyser may be on the path toward.

The other side of the coin is that this club was one point from not making the playoffs to CBus.  Icing that with Filpulla potenitally signing with them on Friday (without the Wings getting anything in return) would make for a much different picture for the majority of the fan base heading into the fall.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/03/13 at 10:30 AM ET

Yeah, but if one of my divisions is a license to print money and one is hemhorraging money, it’s a poor, poor owner that cuts money from the profitable venture rather than the unprofitable one.

And hell, if he’s throwing money at Cleary then his purse strings can’t be that tight, can they?

Posted by Garth on 07/03/13 at 10:41 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Lecavalier is a nice guy but we already have one Franzen. Barring some unforeseen miracle, I’d keep the roster where it is and keep the money for an emergency or deadline deal.Posted by davisrc19 on 07/03/13 at 11:17 AM ET

LOL  The two hilarious parts are in bold.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/03/13 at 10:41 AM ET

and experience improved the offense.

Yeah?  So Cleary’s experience last year of being a liability for the entirety of the regular season is going to help him improve this year as his body continues to break down?

Posted by Garth on 07/03/13 at 10:42 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

How do you mentally leap from “The Wings had a face-to-face draft-day meeting with Vincent Lecavalier” to “The Wings didn’t offer Lecavalier too long a contract with a freaking no-movement clause” and stop at “they weren’t even interested in competing for his services.”?

Being interested in competing for a guy and being willing to win no matter what the stupid cost are not the same thing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/03/13 at 10:46 AM ET

You’re kidding, right?  The Wings met up with him for a 1/2 hr in NYC, where they were staying for the draft.  Both during and after the meeting the Wings mentioned that anything north of 2yrs in term they couldn’t do because they were worried about “pace”.  They never expressed anything but a lukewarm interest from the beginning, think about that.  A top 6 forward, future Hall of Famer, Stanley Cup winner and Captain who is 6ft4in and 220 lbs and has as a weakness “likes to fight occasionally” states that his favorite team was the Red Wings growing up, and the Wings basically had no interest.  But as long as they can pay Cleary or Samuelsson until they’re 37 or 38 yrs old, who cares about their “pace”, right?

Posted by bababooey on 07/03/13 at 10:58 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Hard to argue with that Babs.

And Leo, exactly, Hank got us in on his back.  And Jimmy.  We could EASILY have not made the playoffs.  As inconsistent as we were (and we never stopped being in the post season, longest win streak was three then dropped the next three.  Reminds me of our last west coast trip).  Also, Cbus picked up Gaborik and made a REAL hard push for the playoffs.  Lost a couple players that had hit a wall.  Everybody won in that deal as Brassard was the rangers best post season guy and Gaborik was alright starting to ignite Cbus’s offense.

It’s a fine line and this is a still a wildly inconsistent team.  Having vets just to sit in the lockeroom and talk to rookies going out to play don’t require roster spots.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/13 at 11:05 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

the Wings basically had no interest.

Sounds to me that they only had interest in the years Vinny’s actually going to be a top-six forward.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/03/13 at 11:06 AM ET

Interesting that they’re so down on Lecavalier while they’re still interested in bringing back Cleary.

We don’t know what Lecavalier will be in the future, but we do know that right now he’s exactly what they’re looking for, meanwhile Cleary has never been a top six forward and the Wings already (as the broken record has been playing for several years) have too many bottom six forwards who are much healthier and more ablebodied than Cleary.

Posted by Garth on 07/03/13 at 11:22 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 07/03/13 at 11:58 AM ET

Fuching mindboggling, isn’t it?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/03/13 at 11:23 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Summer of I Don’t Care: 2013

Posted by dougie on 07/03/13 at 11:26 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m not going to defend the concept of bringing back Cleary as it relates to the decision not to give Lecavalier more years than he should get and a full no-movement clause.  I don’t like the idea of re-signing Cleary to the rumored 3x3 deal either.

That doesn’t change the fact that I don’t want the Wings to have offered him this deal nor the fact that I think not offering him this deal is the same as having zero interest in competing for him.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/03/13 at 11:29 AM ET

The_Firebird's avatar

Looks like Ken Holland is afraid to jump in to the Free Agency pool because he can’t swim, and has no intention to learn how.

Posted by The_Firebird on 07/03/13 at 11:36 AM ET

The_Firebird's avatar

TBH, it wouldn’t take much to convince me that Ken Holland gives a $#it, even if he only moved a few of our middling “bulk” players from our roster in a timely manner and received a decent return in draft picks, I would be at least content that he was trying.

Nothing yet though.