Abel to Yzerman

The Rhythm Method Never Works and You Shouldn’t Have Tried It.

It's been a long, long day.  Torturous.  I tried to give you advice this morning. But you didn't take it. Not a single one of you listened.  Instead you opted to obsess.  You chose to fret and worry, and you probably ruined a whole bunch of Mother's Days.  19 pretty maids all in a row, waiting for you to pamper them.  And all you could do was stress about...you know.

I like this team.  We all do. They've grown on us and they've done more than we could have seriously expected.  It's been a bonanza, a bountiful bouncing April and May baby that you didn't expect.  You thought you took all the precautions, but this one time, this one silly time, the cheap-ass thing broke.  We didn't expect this but here we are, and I'll be damned if we don't love this baby just like the other 21.

And we've learned from the others.  We cut this one a bit more slack. We temper our expectations for their sake and for ours. But when they succeed, even slightly, we start to think maybe they'll be just as awesome as three or four of their older siblings.

But this baby's still a toddler, mostly toothless.  He takes a few steps forward and you're thinking you'd better start putting the expensive shit away, out of reach, because he's got the skills to start breaking things.  Then he falls and you almost breathe a sight of relief. Too much. Too soon.

But you see it.  You've seen it before and you know the signs. This one's got something.  He does.  The unexpected ones always do.  They bring you a kind of joy you didn't anticipate and so everything is new again.

Put the binkies in, boys.  Put 'em in. Keep 'em in and piss all over yourselves if you have to. If that's what it takes.

It's a Game Seven Live Blog, bitches.  We like this team. We dig these kids.  And we've all got a feeling.  This baby just may have legs.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 21 22 23 24 25 >       Next »

pgoody's avatar

Oh little brother, we’re coming to town, dust off that cot for yerself…

Posted by pgoody on 05/13/13 at 01:43 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Applicator ? Who is he?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/13/13 at 01:29 AM ET

That’s iPhone auto-correct !

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 01:43 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

“We probably wouldn’t have made the playoffs with Danny DeKeyser.” - Babcock.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/13/13 at 01:36 AM ET

WITHOUT DANNY DEKEYSER.

jesus Lashoff.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 01:45 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

so we’re not supposed to beat Chicago in a 7 game series, right?

well…we weren’t supposed to beat Anaheim either.

don’t look now, but the Wings are healthy and getting BETTER as the playoffs go on.

how many days has it been since Chicago played? hmmmmm…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/13 at 01:46 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I missed Babcock’s first minute or two, he said Wednesday start?  That’s terrific, an extra day.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 01:46 AM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Hitting the rack, but not sure I’ll be able to sleep. grin

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/13/13 at 01:52 AM ET

Primis's avatar

So, we burned down ANA’s world.

Let’s see what we can burn of CHI’s next.

Posted by Primis on 05/13/13 at 01:53 AM ET

I’m drunk, 19.  I ‘m smashingly happy drunk.  Got into a war of words with some DuhUcks fans.  they’re just like B[‘Lose fans:  lousy winners and even lousier losers.

Round Two agaonst lil bro.  I"m gommna love that.

Whoooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/13/13 at 01:54 AM ET

Trish's avatar

Way to go Rummy, Cap’n Dennis and all the other transplants.  We heard ya.
You did good oot there on the left coast.

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 05/13/13 at 01:58 AM ET

And her’es somehting i dnever expect to hear fomm duchks fans:  Perry sux ass.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/13/13 at 01:59 AM ET

Pugna Vox's avatar

Right now, dumb Blackhawk fans are relieved and happy.

The smart ones (both of them) have sudden, unexplained abdominal stabbing vramping and raging diarrhea.

What a game,

Posted by Pugna Vox from Idiot Out Wandering Around on 05/13/13 at 02:10 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

NHL network had a great overhead camera view of this whole play.  Ducks made a no-look spinorama pass that Justin saw coming.  What a dramatic turn of events, Anaheim had just tied the game and went on the PP.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 02:29 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Handshake line and scoreboard. From the rafters. Notice how I’m looking down on the scoreboard (you can actually see the top of the scoreboard in the pic!). I’ll post more pics tomorrow. Awesome game. I’ve been to six playoff games now and I have never seen a handshake line. Captain Obvious says Game 7’s are even more stressful to watch live. It was torture waiting for the 3rd period collapse we knew was coming, but never came. Rummy and I were stunned when it was over and we won. I expected trouble when it was over, but everyone acted civily. Jimmah gave his stick to a Red Wing fan after the game.

I really like our team! And I can say that without a trace of sarcasm.

photo ScoreboardGame7.jpg

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/13/13 at 02:40 AM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Anyone know where to go to find extensive postgame interviews? Both our team and Babs and also fatty Boudreau etc?

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/13/13 at 02:53 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Dumbass media gave 2 of 3 stars to Duh Ucks players. rolleyes

Media had it:
3-Cam Fowler
2-Emerson Etem
1-Z

I had it:
3-Etem
2-Jimmah, Pavs, Mule, even Buckets; take your pick
1-Z

Mule hustled his ass off. And Buckets. OMG I’m back in love with Buckets again. For one night at least, he willed his body like he was ten years younger. Of all the players on the ice tonight, Buckets wanted the W more than anyone.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/13/13 at 02:53 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Just in the door from The Ponda.  Great night. Good company.

My game recap is short…

Wings won!

Carry on…..

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 05/13/13 at 03:06 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Albuquerque!

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/13/13 at 06:48 AM ET

monkey's avatar

When Z put that puck over the glass I thought Oh Shit!,  BOHICA.

Henrik Zetterberg draws a lot of water in this town.  You don’t draw shit.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/13/13 at 07:51 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Cap’n and Rumbear - you did us proud.

THEY DID IT!  THEY DID IT!  THEY DID IT!

(This phrase just keeps replaying in my head.)

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/13/13 at 08:46 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/13/13 at 02:40 AM ET

Good on you two!!  What an awesome experience.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/13/13 at 08:51 AM ET

dougie's avatar

The Red Wings cured my insomnia!!

Slept for 6 hours straight for the first time in years. My wife thought I might be dead.

I like this team.

Posted by dougie on 05/13/13 at 09:50 AM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Naysayers be damned… if you aren’t proud of this team and what it has just accomplished?  You aren’t part of the 19.

Posted by calquake on 05/13/13 at 01:00 AM ET

wink

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/13/13 at 09:53 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

What awesome news to wake up to this morning! And, as always, reading the LB was a great way to spend an hour.

On to Chicago!!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/13/13 at 09:56 AM ET

Well, I did say Fils needed Game Seven to unfuch himself after that atrocious giveaway in Game Six that tied the game.  And he did.  He was terrific MOST of the night and I was generally happy with his play.

Read Rummer’s note about the DuhUcks fans being mostly civil after the loss.  I couldn’t tell here in Vegas; they were pissants all night long after the game was over.  I got into a shouting match that made me giggle the whole time because I was bemused and entertained by it all.  It’s over.  Go home and make some pudding pie, DuhUcks fans.

Bring on Shitcago.  They’re too well-rested.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/13/13 at 10:05 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Finally got around to simmering down enough to watch the Mad Men episode on DVR, starting about 0245.  So after that I got almost 4 hours sleep and still made it to work ok.  Next time I shouldn’t bother watching the playoff hockey live, just check scores in the morning.  Sure, like I could do that.

Glad to see the pics from Rumbear and Dennis, that is quite high alright.  There still must have been a lot of Wings fans there, on the ken kal audio stream it sounded like the roof came off when abby scored the shortie.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 10:27 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/13/13 at 02:53 AM ET

I thought to flip over to NHL network in time to see Babs and Boudreau post game, but don’t know where they might be.  George Malik often embeds those kinds of things.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 10:30 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/13/13 at 02:53 AM ET

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 10:37 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Soooo greatful for the Round 2 start times. Heck I’m soooooo greatful for Round 2. Against all odds.

Imma old, and it’s hard to deal wit the 3 year old on 5 1/2 hours sleep. tongue wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/13/13 at 10:40 AM ET

Just finished the LB.  It was glorious.  The 19 - in the finest form.  And this:

Quiet. As a church Except for the pa system.

Posted by Puppies and Hookers from La la land on 05/13/13 at 12:15 AM ET

Poolhall Junkies.  “Did I stutter or something?  Everybody got all quiet and shit?  About a minute ago, it was like a hockey arena in this mutherfucher.  Now it’s quiet as a church.”

Beauty.  And why I love this place.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/13/13 at 10:46 AM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

from NHL.com ....

The Detroit Red Wings’ shocking upset of the Anaheim Ducks in Game 7 of the Western Conference Quarterfinal series on Sunday night earned the Red Wings the “privilege” of playing the top-seeded Chicago Blackhawks in an Original 6 showdown.

I think they got it backwards ... it gives the Sqawks THE PRIVILEDGE of playing the DETROIT Red Wings

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/13/13 at 11:14 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

“Wings win! Great, we get to face them in the next round”, said No One in Chicago….Ever.

What a game.  The crowd was innit until the middle of the second and ya notice the noise drop. even the 2-3 between period music was subdued.  You could have a normal conversation.  Third started and ya could feel a shift.  With five minutes left the crowd started for the doors. Either that or a lot of folks were going to the rest room.  When Cryin Bitchslap (who came up with that gem?) potted one the crowd got back innit, briefly.  The final minutes were painful as the Wings held on to take it.

Game #7, win, see the handshakes….that was a first for me.

Cap’n nailed it.  Cleary was hustling all night.  Behind the play he was working hard.  Mule was playing big.  More like that guy a few years ago that snatched the mouth guard outta Junior’s mouth as he skated by. Bert, I swear the guy just glides around always near the puck, doing circles and watching….then he quickly makes a pas or jacks someone up and glides away. I said it before…SMOOTH.

Cap’n has some fotos.  Saw a guy after the game with a wings jersey, wings necklace, big red fedora and red flip flops.  To cool….got a foto.

Now we get to slap Lil Bro around for a few games.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 05/13/13 at 11:35 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 05/13/13 at 12:27 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan on 05/13/13 at 11:14 AM ET

When I first read that I was pissed.  But then I just started laughing. Gary.Ass’s league just HATES that the Wings are still in this, and that just makes me smile.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/13/13 at 12:27 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 05/13/13 at 12:27 PM ET

That’s the only thing Perry got through Howard’s 5-hole in the series.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 12:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Remember how the Tigers swept the Yankees last year in the ALCS, and then got all that rest?  Remember what happened to the Tigers in the World Series?

That’s what I hope happens to the Squawks.

Wings need to just keep rolling.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/13/13 at 12:31 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 05/13/13 at 12:32 PM ET

Posted by pgoody on 05/13/13 at 12:32 PM ET

OMG.  That’s my favorite after Jimmy facewashing rosby.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/13/13 at 12:37 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Funniest post game comment.

Posted by calquake on 05/13/13 at 12:39 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Wonder if they will start any of the Det-Chi games at 10:00 PM?

Thank Gary. Ass.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 05/13/13 at 12:53 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Here are Rumbear’s pics from last night.

Uncle Mike brainstorming his line changes:
 photo photo2.jpg

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/13/13 at 01:02 PM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 21 22 23 24 25 >       Next »