Abel to Yzerman

The Rhythm Method Never Works and You Shouldn’t Have Tried It.

It's been a long, long day.  Torturous.  I tried to give you advice this morning. But you didn't take it. Not a single one of you listened.  Instead you opted to obsess.  You chose to fret and worry, and you probably ruined a whole bunch of Mother's Days.  19 pretty maids all in a row, waiting for you to pamper them.  And all you could do was stress about...you know.

I like this team.  We all do. They've grown on us and they've done more than we could have seriously expected.  It's been a bonanza, a bountiful bouncing April and May baby that you didn't expect.  You thought you took all the precautions, but this one time, this one silly time, the cheap-ass thing broke.  We didn't expect this but here we are, and I'll be damned if we don't love this baby just like the other 21.

And we've learned from the others.  We cut this one a bit more slack. We temper our expectations for their sake and for ours. But when they succeed, even slightly, we start to think maybe they'll be just as awesome as three or four of their older siblings.

But this baby's still a toddler, mostly toothless.  He takes a few steps forward and you're thinking you'd better start putting the expensive shit away, out of reach, because he's got the skills to start breaking things.  Then he falls and you almost breathe a sight of relief. Too much. Too soon.

But you see it.  You've seen it before and you know the signs. This one's got something.  He does.  The unexpected ones always do.  They bring you a kind of joy you didn't anticipate and so everything is new again.

Put the binkies in, boys.  Put 'em in. Keep 'em in and piss all over yourselves if you have to. If that's what it takes.

It's a Game Seven Live Blog, bitches.  We like this team. We dig these kids.  And we've all got a feeling.  This baby just may have legs.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 20 21 22 23 24 >  Last ›      Next »

Trish's avatar

Bring on Little Brother’s Chicken Hawks.

Yeah, what he said

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 05/13/13 at 12:11 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

look at it this way.  the Wings are a better team now, than they were when they took Chicago to overtime 3 out of 4 games.

and Chicago has sitting on their asses for a few days, while the Wings have been playing their hearts out and are rolling on an emotional high.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/13 at 12:12 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

We’re going to Chicago with a six-shooter, a full nine yards of ammo and a chip on our shoulders.  We may go down but by god if we do, it’s gonna be a blaze of glory!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/13/13 at 01:08 AM

Who will Patrick Sharp spear in the balls this time!?!??!?!

Posted by pgoody on 05/13/13 at 12:12 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

you all realize who got the game winning goal, right?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/13 at 01:05 AM ET

Uhhh ... that would be Mr. Filppula!

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/13/13 at 01:07 AM ET

And an assist

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 12:12 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

here come those craptacular sunday 1230 afternoon games :( I hate those so damned much.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/13/13 at 12:12 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

back atcha Ducks

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/13 at 12:12 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

Uhhh ... that would be Mr. Filppula!

He looked so weak on the puck, he really did…

Posted by pgoody on 05/13/13 at 12:13 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/13/13 at 01:10 AM ET

alcohol and metaphors don’t always mix

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/13/13 at 12:13 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

TELL ME HE’S NOT WORTH $5 MILLION SO I CAN SLAP YOU WITH HIS DONG

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/13 at 01:07 AM ET

I quoted you sarcastically a few games back.  Consider this a mea culpa.

Howard now 7-3 when facing elimination.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/13/13 at 12:13 AM ET

Bent's avatar

I don’t think I will be able to fall asleep yet.  I wish my boss was a hockey fan, because then he would understand why I am a zombie tomorrow morning.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/13/13 at 12:14 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

This is high on the list of the times I consider it good to be the boss.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/13/13 at 12:16 AM ET

BC's avatar

What a ride!  It’s amazing how according to these announcers the Ducks played exceptional shift after exceptional shift and they still lost.

Eff the D’s.

Hey, Chicago:  “Here it comes!”

Posted by BC on 05/13/13 at 12:17 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 12:17 AM ET

Primis's avatar

The Duck Sadness pics on Twitter are killing me.

Posted by Primis on 05/13/13 at 12:17 AM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Since I sent the boss an email right after the game, it means I’ve been working this evening…right?

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/13/13 at 12:18 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

So…will FSD NOT supply ANY feeds going forward?

Posted by The Hurricane on 05/13/13 at 01:11 AM ET

I’ve never seen it past the first round in recent years.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 12:18 AM ET

BC's avatar

My boss is a Sabres fan.  I’m screwed, too.

Posted by BC on 05/13/13 at 12:19 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Time for a swim in the pool I need to cool down…nite nite y’all

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 05/13/13 at 12:20 AM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Uhhh ... that would be Mr. Filppula!

He looked so weak on the puck, he really did…

Posted by pgoody on 05/13/13 at 01:13 AM ET

Who cares how it looked?  It was the game winning, as in the series winning goal!

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/13/13 at 12:20 AM ET

calquake's avatar

My boss is a Sabres fan.

Then he should relate to an underdog.

Posted by calquake on 05/13/13 at 12:21 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

When Z put that puck over the glass I thought Oh Shit!,  BOHICA.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 12:22 AM ET

BC's avatar

At this point I am sure the Western Conference is happy to see us leave.

Let’s fuch with them a little more, though.

Go, Wings.

Posted by BC on 05/13/13 at 12:24 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

What a game with much needed experience and confidence building for the kids. Hope the hawks read all the bloviating and fellating and get cocky. I like the matchup better than against the other 2 teams still alive.

Till later on in the week 19.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 05/13/13 at 12:24 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t even know where we stand anymore.  I have nothing witty to say about the CHI series honestly because I don’t know WTF DET team shows up, or what crazy thing they’ll do next.

Posted by Primis on 05/13/13 at 12:24 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Did Babs just say they’re starting Wednesday?

Posted by calquake on 05/13/13 at 12:24 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Did Babs just say they’re starting Wednesday?

Posted by calquake on 05/13/13 at 01:24 AM ET

Yes. An extra day off.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/13/13 at 12:27 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

I was actually at my bos.s house tonight watching the game. At work yesterday I mentioned that I was nor going tio be not worth a shit on monday and why. He said come on ovrr but be prepared tio teach him what im watching. Thats why I only had the over post. From my phone Amazingly the fucher caught in perty quick.

I poole to think wer have us a new wings fan.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/13/13 at 12:27 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Applicator ? Who is he?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/13/13 at 12:29 AM ET

calquake's avatar

I poole to think wer have us a new wings fan.

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 05/13/13 at 01:27 AM ET

Since when do you speak Swedish? cheese

Posted by calquake on 05/13/13 at 12:31 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 05/13/13 at 01:27 AM ET

Oh my Jeff, the fact you won’t be any good on Monday may be due to the 347 beers you had tonight, but the “sound” of your typing.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/13/13 at 12:34 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Good night, 19, you beautiful bitches you. I’ll see you Wednesday. Chit-Cago? Puhlease.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 05/13/13 at 12:34 AM ET

....between the first and second period, i have this picture appear in my mind….

......the game’s at the joe, and perry has finally been penalized…..the crowd rises to it’s feet and buries the twerp under a sonic wall of derision….( get the cadence down, and cheer along….it feels swell…)

....“MVP !!”....HA HA HA….“MVP”...HA HA HA ....“MVP”.....HA HA HA…..“MVP”.....HA HA HA…..

...the place is rockin’.....for 35 seconds….until hank buries one…..

.....then i come inside, and it gets even better, because it’s JFTH leading the chorus .....

...the hawks are not pleased…......they remember a lifetime of playoff noogies…..and here come those wings again…..perhaps not THOSE wings, but a scary bunch of younger big brothers…..

...should be a bomber series….

....rock on, you SUPER STUDDED FLYING SNOWTIRE FROM HELL !!!

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 05/13/13 at 12:34 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/13/13 at 01:20 AM ET

Ya the goal was good but I’m saying every other time he “possessed” the puck…

Posted by pgoody on 05/13/13 at 12:34 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

“We probably wouldn’t have made the playoffs with Danny DeKeyser.” - Babcock.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 12:36 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

.then i come inside, and it gets even better

yea yea, id agree with that

Posted by pgoody on 05/13/13 at 12:37 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Night 19.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/13/13 at 12:38 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Wow…just wow. What a series. I can’t sleep. Too pumped up. On to Chicago! LGRW!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/13/13 at 12:38 AM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Who knows if DD is out for the playoffs?  Look how quickly that d man kid (Karlsson, I think) healed with the cut Achilles in Ottawa?  Anything can happen!

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/13/13 at 12:39 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Wednesday in Chicago.  Be there… it’s all gravy from here on out baby.

Posted by calquake on 05/13/13 at 12:39 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Seeds 2, 3, and 4 are eliminated.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/13 at 12:39 AM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 20 21 22 23 24 >  Last ›      Next »