Abel to Yzerman

The Rhythm Method Never Works and You Shouldn’t Have Tried It.

It's been a long, long day.  Torturous.  I tried to give you advice this morning. But you didn't take it. Not a single one of you listened.  Instead you opted to obsess.  You chose to fret and worry, and you probably ruined a whole bunch of Mother's Days.  19 pretty maids all in a row, waiting for you to pamper them.  And all you could do was stress about...you know.

I like this team.  We all do. They've grown on us and they've done more than we could have seriously expected.  It's been a bonanza, a bountiful bouncing April and May baby that you didn't expect.  You thought you took all the precautions, but this one time, this one silly time, the cheap-ass thing broke.  We didn't expect this but here we are, and I'll be damned if we don't love this baby just like the other 21.

And we've learned from the others.  We cut this one a bit more slack. We temper our expectations for their sake and for ours. But when they succeed, even slightly, we start to think maybe they'll be just as awesome as three or four of their older siblings.

But this baby's still a toddler, mostly toothless.  He takes a few steps forward and you're thinking you'd better start putting the expensive shit away, out of reach, because he's got the skills to start breaking things.  Then he falls and you almost breathe a sight of relief. Too much. Too soon.

But you see it.  You've seen it before and you know the signs. This one's got something.  He does.  The unexpected ones always do.  They bring you a kind of joy you didn't anticipate and so everything is new again.

Put the binkies in, boys.  Put 'em in. Keep 'em in and piss all over yourselves if you have to. If that's what it takes.

It's a Game Seven Live Blog, bitches.  We like this team. We dig these kids.  And we've all got a feeling.  This baby just may have legs.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

kayl's avatar

I’ll admit; I haven’t watched an NHL game all season just out of principle; tonight will be the exception. No way on earth can I miss a game 7!

I’m still not buying any new apparel for a few seasons though!

Posted by kayl from Brewtown on 05/12/13 at 08:29 PM ET

igrover's avatar

As the pangs of sleep start to take over I rub my eyes over and over waiting for the puck to drop.

And I pray that Kindl did not get more tickets to Disneyland on his day off.

Posted by igrover on 05/12/13 at 08:29 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

The Hasek is pumping, huh?

This is a year of transition
The D never been this “bad” in 20+ years
Our stars are old
The team is too young

Yet, here we are…  Cause we are the 19, and they are the mother fuching Red Wings!
And both us and them, hope for more..  Expect more, actually

LGRW!!!

Posted by Zqto on 05/12/13 at 08:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

This baby just may have legs.

And won’t that piss off Getzlaff and Perry all the more?  That this team that everyone said (hoped) was finished is in the midst of being reborn?  To win?  To beat the damned Ducks again?

How sweet that would be.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 08:31 PM ET

Riviera's avatar

God damned right, here we go bitches!

Posted by Riviera from Phoenix on 05/12/13 at 08:32 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

This is our time of year. Take out the Ducks in a Game 7? Been there, done that. Dashed Chicago’s hopes of taking Stanley? We all remember who put the final nail in that coffin. There’s only one team that calls the playoffs home, and it’s time to kick out the intruders. LGRW!

Posted by BrendonR on 05/12/13 at 08:41 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

everything is new again.

I still remember how it all felt, still living in Detroit, hockey as religion, watching a team grow, and that glorious June in 1997.

I didn’t really get into the games in the regular season this year.  wasn’t expecting much.  oh, they made the playoffs?  cool.  we’ll get to see four or five more games.

and here we are.  falling in love with a bunch of kids.  it almost seems like they’re at that “too young to know when they’re beat” stage.  I can see some of their older siblings just folding after giving up 46 goals in the last 3 third periods.

but not this team.  not these kids.  and I’m starting to feel the way I felt all those years ago.  the ones in between were great, multiple Stanley Cups, but it was basically the same team.  it was expected.  it wasn’t expected in 1997.  yearned for, but not expected.

this season, not expected.  but the yearning is growing.

and when they do it?  holy hell my neighbors are gonna know it.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 08:42 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s a Game Seven Live Blog, bitches.  We like this team. We dig these kids.  And we’ve all got a feeling.  This baby just may have legs.

Evenin’ Bitches, Commander Master Chief. Game 7. All superstitions set aside, and, throw caution to the wind.

Let’s Roll. Detroit-style.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/12/13 at 08:45 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

All superstitions set aside

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 08:46 PM ET

dougie's avatar

My in-laws cannot figure out why I am pacing the floor, going outside, then coming back in 30 seconds later. Or how I drank all the beer I brought with me already.

At least I get to watch the game tonight, which wasn’t a given when I woke up this morning.

Hope the toddlers ruin Mother’s Day for a couple dozen Duck hockey Moms, where ever they are.

Posted by dougie on 05/12/13 at 08:47 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Ready for the Wings to just DO IT!!!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 05/12/13 at 08:49 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

It’s almost 9:00 EDT and the Bruins/Leafs game isn’t even half way thru the second period.  Geebuz, I hope we don’t miss much of our game…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 08:57 PM ET

klank's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 08:57 PM ET

CNBC is open tonight.. we’ll prolly get bumped there til Bruins/Leaf over.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/12/13 at 09:00 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Shift by shift…. I will keep sayin’ it ‘til I can’t say it anymore.
And whipping out some Rush is never bad. They are one of the best 3 man bands ever. And from Canuckistan never hurt.
LGRW.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/12/13 at 09:01 PM ET

dougie's avatar

A very worthwhile read, as we furiously attempt to distract ourselves for the next hour.

and don’t forget the critical “of a destroyer” at the end of the coolest job description since “inventor of beer” a few thousand years ago.

Posted by dougie on 05/12/13 at 09:02 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

This game may as well be on OLN for me. I’m on the road in Louisville and my Hotel doesn’t carry Versus…err NBC Sports Network and their wifi sucks. Try finding a sports bar/restaurant in Kentucky open past 10:00 pm on a Sunday night !?!

Gary, you really are a Jack Ass!!

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/12/13 at 09:02 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

where the hell is everybody?

far too quiet on the Hasek tonight

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 09:16 PM ET

Aimee in Austin's avatar

I have been listening all day to my kid plead and beg to stay up to watch this game - I seriously considered it since I am not the one who has to deal with him all day tomorrow and they have won the games he has watched. But, I am going to be a good mother on Mother’s Day and get him into bed by 8:45 so that I can open a bottle of wine and try not to yell at the television too loudly (and ensure that he isn’t a beast for his teachers tomorrow).

He says they had better win because if I make him miss the last game of the season, he is going to be very very upset with me.

Let’s Go Red Wings!

Posted by Aimee in Austin on 05/12/13 at 09:16 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

klank, hope so!

Down River Dan, that does suck and it has happened to me quite a few times. Is the wi-fi good enough for you to get 97.1 on radio?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 09:18 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Put the binkies in, boys.  Put ‘em in. Keep ‘em in and piss all over yourselves if you have to. If that’s what it takes.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/12/13 at 09:19 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Aw, come on, Aimee!  Let the kid stay up!  He sounds like a true Wingaholic already!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 09:21 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

I don’t want to do this. ugggh

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 05/12/13 at 09:22 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Mayberry and Goober -> Mute!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 09:22 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Gary, you really are a Jack Ass!!

I once spent a dirty weekend in Kentucky.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/12/13 at 09:24 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Happy you’re here, Aimee.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/12/13 at 09:26 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Downriver Dan, hit up http://www.speedtest.net and tell me what you get.

if it’s fast enough, I’ll gladly loan you my (paid) feed service.  they have HD-ish feeds as well as lower quality feeds for slower connections.

while you’re at it, go to http://www.whatismyip.com and tell me what you get there too - I might need to put in an IP exception for my account…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 09:28 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by Aimee in Austin on 05/12/13 at 09:16 PM ET

That’s a rather unique spelling of Aimee.  Did you grow up in Michigan?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/12/13 at 09:29 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Paul, that’s awesome.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 09:29 PM ET

klank's avatar

I once spent a dirty weekend in Kentucky.

hahaha… recently read HST article of the Derby.  btw Monkey, I have a Gonzo Imperial Porter from Flying Dog Brew ready to share during the game.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/12/13 at 09:29 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

did this *#$%@& just recommend that Selanne literally run over Jimmy Howard?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 09:30 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Honestly I never expected this from this team, but I still kinda expect more.
Make sense?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/12/13 at 09:30 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

smirk

cool

confident

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/12/13 at 09:31 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Hey there, Bitches. All of you. Every Fuching One Of You. Win or lose tonight, I am damn proud of these boys. I’m 27 years young.. and 22 years of them have been exactly this.. Play off Hockey. It’s all I know. It’s all I want. They did damn well to get here this far. And you know what? It’s not over yet. This team will beat the Fuchs. Cause they just epically suck. Beat the Fuchs for old times sake. Just so in the handshake you can tell em.. “See you in the finals.. if you ever make it there, bitches.”

The Tequila is flowing freely through me and the beer is the chaser. I’m ready. Pumped. It’s gonna be quite the thriller.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 05/12/13 at 09:31 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

did this *#$%@& just recommend that Selanne literally run over Jimmy Howard?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 09:30 PM ET[/quote

Where are you guys hearing/seeing this?? Feed?

Posted by pgoody on 05/12/13 at 09:31 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Tick   tock tick tock   tick tock

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/12/13 at 09:32 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

somebody please run Keith Jones over with a truck

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 09:32 PM ET

klank's avatar

did this *#$%@& just recommend that Selanne literally run over Jimmy Howard?

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/12/13 at 09:32 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Cryan Getzslob and Whorey Ferry setup your tee times….....you’re done this year.

GAME ON!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/12/13 at 09:32 PM ET

monkey's avatar

BTW, I’m getting gooned on codeine, so I won’t be around much longer.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/12/13 at 09:33 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

pgoody - I’m watching the Leafs/Bruins game on NBC Sports.

Keith Jones was talking about Selanne not being able to score on Howard, and said “just run him over.”  I thought maybe he was being facetious and then he went on to reiterate his point and expound on it.  he was serious.  “knock him out of the net” he said.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 09:33 PM ET