Abel to Yzerman

The Old Cook Is wavering…unsure if he should feed us

We've been holding back the Lightfoot, saving Gordie for when the time is exactly right.

Well, the time is right. In a musty old hall in Detroyet we pray because this is a biggie.

It's a live blog, bitches. And, yes, your pets have lived long and you've loved them well. Time to, you know, take one for the team.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 18 19 20

Bent's avatar

I missed the LB last night, but watched when I got home.  For those watching NBC, did Eddie Olczyk cry when the wings won?  I hope he cried.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/07/13 at 09:15 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

What A Game.

The roller-coaster continues.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/07/13 at 09:18 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Depending on what we would have had to give up, I think Detroit missed out when they didn’t go after Bouwmeester.

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 01:54 AM ET

I don’t know that Bouwmeester or anyone would have helped DET a ton this year because of the cluster f**k it has been the whole way.  Going into next season though he would have helped immensely, and there are no available d-men in the offseason at this time anywhere comparable.  Bouwmeester would free Kronwall up to do a lot more.  Kenny really blew it unless he can nab a d-man in a trade somehow.

But yes it still is ridiculous that Holland was willing to pull a 1st for Quincey, but not for a package for Bouwmeester.  It doesn’t matter what happens to that pick, that’s just not good evaluating on his part.  Pay the first for the guy that may not have the upside you hope for even…. but not for the guy that is a proven commodity with years of experience.  Just stupid.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 09:45 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

why do people keep throwing “draft pick for Quincey” into the same sentence as Bouwmeester?  St Louis gave up a (conditional) first round pick and two young prospects.  which of these young Wings would YOU want to have given up, to get Bouwmeester?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 09:48 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

he also makes $6.6 million per year, or something like that.  there is no comparison between how Holland got Quincey last year and what it would have taken to get Bouwmeester.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 09:50 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 09:48 AM ET

Sheahan and Oullett?  Ferraro and Almqvist?  Kindl and Emmerton?  I could go on and on.  The pairings of 2 younger guys I’d give up is extensive.

It’s being mentioned because CGY was adamant about wanting a 1st, and Kenny was adamant he wouldn’t give one up.  That’s why.  Like it or not, Kenny is going to be judged on that inconsistency in valuing his 1sts.  Kenny never said he wasn’t willing to give up the other assets, he only said he wouldn’t give up the 1st.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 09:52 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

I didnt see anyone mention him here late in the blog so I will. The person is Eaves, and he played excellent last night, even though he didnt score. He took the puck away several times and played his best defensive game all season. If Helm can get healthy for next season, we can have that old 1-2 punch forecheck back together again.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/07/13 at 10:59 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

NIVO - agreed about Eaves.  He was just great.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/07/13 at 11:13 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I watched the first period then had to go teach so I set my DVR and left.  So I thought.  I get home, settle down to watch game and no recording.  I was so upset.  I was left with highlights.  My friends texted me hints and when I told them I had no recording, they told me I missed the best freaking game of the year.

Recording the rebroadcast today on NHLNetwork.

I’m not missing Wednesday.

LGRW!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/07/13 at 11:21 AM ET

You Got Kronwall’d.  Uploaded by weallbleedredd.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/07/13 at 11:43 AM ET

Trish's avatar

Watched the game in a sportsbar with 6 Canadian friends who were rooting for their “1st postseason playoff game” Leafs and their loss wrapped up way before my OT win.  Two of them were catching a flight home today so they left and I was alone chewing the crap outta my drink straw till Bruuuuuuuuuuner ended OT.  Thank the Gods. . .

LGRW

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 05/07/13 at 11:55 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

What A Game.
The roller-coaster continues.
Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 22 on 05/07/13 at 09:18 AM ET

Bring on da Funk! The original twerking music. I have (not just) knee deep on right now.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/07/13 at 01:00 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

I hate cancer, look what it did to Koivu, took away his sportsmanship, pride, and sense of shame…

Posted by pgoody on 05/07/13 at 04:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Celebrating Soccer Mediocrity as Goalie Dribbles Out the Clock

Waiting for Wednesday’s game, follow the video of joyous English soccer fans learning their teams will not be relegated from the Championship League down to League One.

A loss by either of these two Yorkshire teams could have sent them down a division for next season in the English soccer hierarchy.  Late in the game tied 2-2, they learn that Peterborough has lost, and Peterborough will be relegated instead if they finish in a draw.

So the goalie dribbles out the clock, no player challenging him or making an effort, as the joyous fans storm the field celebrating being bottom of the barrel.  Well, at least we weren’t relegated.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/07/13 at 05:13 PM ET

If you did NOT get the FSD coverage of Game Four, HockeyWebCaster posted a short segment of the Kronwall check and Ken and Mick’s reaction.  Godl.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/07/13 at 06:22 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

holy crap I so wish I could be at a game and get to be part of a “YOU GOT KRONWALLED” chant.

that. is. sheer. awesome.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 08:37 PM ET

John Tavares is a fuching net presence super beast or some shit like that because he’s killing the Pens’ defense.

And that game is getting so physical that the refs are even letting go of the shoving and crosschecks away from the action.  It is ugly, but it is so great.

Wings will have to expect the same Wednesday night.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/07/13 at 09:20 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

it’s interesting to see another team (the Islanders) get screwed by the refs more than the Wings usually do.  calling diving when Malkin reaches out and grabs you by the arm as you skate by - instant classic.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 09:33 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

HAHAHAHAHA FLEURY SUCKS

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 09:33 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

FLOWER POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by pgoody on 05/07/13 at 09:34 PM ET

Fleury given up 14 goals in last three games.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/07/13 at 09:36 PM ET

And of course, the Pens act like shitheads at game’s end.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/07/13 at 09:39 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

We’re as biased as it gets but I have never seen the Wings pull the bullshit goonery at the end of games like I have every single other team in this league… even in games where the other team wins and still goon it up…

Posted by pgoody on 05/07/13 at 09:39 PM ET

Posted by pgoody on 05/07/13 at 09:39 PM ET

Word.  Even when the Wings got their asses handed to them by the Isles a few years ago when the score was 7-1, we played to just get the game over and done with.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/07/13 at 09:41 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

there should be suspensions out of that.  disgraceful.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 09:41 PM ET

Jumping over to the MildCawks game.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/07/13 at 09:44 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Wow… Brad Stuart just took a NASTY elbow to the head in the SJ game.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/07/13 at 10:39 PM ET

Wow… Brad Stuart just took a NASTY elbow to the head in the SJ game.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/07/13 at 10:39 PM ET

Something ‘bout Western Canadian teams that brings out the butch in Stuart’s opponents to just level him in the head.  IIRC, it was the Flames who broke his jaw.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/08/13 at 12:08 AM ET

SJ choking on a suck-sage.  They just let VSN score two goals in about two minutes.  It’s now 3-2 VAN.  Fuchers are having flashbacks.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/08/13 at 12:17 AM ET

HP crowd:  as dumb as the DuhUcks fans.  What the fuch is, “Less Gaw ShahUcks???”

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/08/13 at 12:25 AM ET

Bieska crosschecks at teh most inopportune time ever (and predictably acts like a spoiled rotten baby about it) and Pavelski ties it at 3-3 on SJ’s PP.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/08/13 at 12:31 AM ET

Jeb Whornton is a buttfuching a-hole.  Having said that, I really like his brute power when he holds on to the puck and cycles and cycles and cycles well behind the opponent’s net.

And the Sharts SWEEP the ‘Nucks in OT.

Go the fuch home, VAN.