Abel to Yzerman

The Old Cook Is wavering…unsure if he should feed us

We've been holding back the Lightfoot, saving Gordie for when the time is exactly right.

Well, the time is right. In a musty old hall in Detroyet we pray because this is a biggie.

It's a live blog, bitches. And, yes, your pets have lived long and you've loved them well. Time to, you know, take one for the team.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 >       Next »

calquake's avatar

So, elephant in the room…

Why did Brunner get so little icetime?  Punishment?  Is he banged up?

Posted by Primis on 05/06/13 at 11:43 PM ET

Babs said a few days ago that someone was banged up, didn’t say who it was, said it would be a gametime decision.  Maybe.

Posted by calquake on 05/06/13 at 11:46 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

So, elephant in the room…

Why did Brunner get so little icetime?  Punishment?  Is he banged up?

Posted by Primis on 05/06/13 at 11:43 PM ET

The bad hesitation trying to clear the puck, subsequent turnover, and goal in game 3?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/06/13 at 11:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’m out, 19.  One little bottle of Guinnes Draught left in a perfect Wings win.

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/06/13 at 11:46 PM ET

Dream hulu hoops on the beach.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/06/13 at 11:47 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Babcock said the 4th line became the 3rd line, “just because you start in one place doesn’t mean you can’t move during the game”  -  he thought they didn’t earn the playing time.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/06/13 at 11:48 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Dream hulu hoops on the beach.

So weird to see my dreams go viral

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/06/13 at 11:49 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/06/13 at 11:48 PM ET

It was only for a shift or two but I liked Bert playing on the 3rd line with Andy and Nyquil.

Posted by calquake on 05/06/13 at 11:51 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Hot Pocket wrappers left in a crumpled mess in the visitor locker room. Toppham Hatt slowly waddled to board the train back to Californ-I-A. The Nyquil has been poured, the bitches are put to rest. Game #5 served up Todd BER-TU-ZZI style.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/06/13 at 11:51 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I think I pulled a muscle when the Wings scored.  I’ll be a gametime decision for Wednesday…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/06/13 at 11:51 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Later. See y’all next game. Or sooner.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/06/13 at 11:53 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/06/13 at 11:51 PM ET

Jesus, don’t make us bring up primis.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/06/13 at 11:54 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

There’s about 20 playoff games experience between all of them put together.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/06/13 at 11:38 PM ET

Yep…and wo playoff GWGs

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/07/13 at 12:00 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

(you’ll have to excuse me on this, chalk it up to post game euphoria and the late hour - apologies to Paul, feel free to delete this post)

So my daughter screen saves our texts that I spoiled the game for her and posts it on facebook.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/07/13 at 12:02 AM ET

calquake's avatar

I am very happy with the outcome tonight.  Not perfect… but gutsy.  The rookies won it but Wings wouldn’t have even been there without a goal “willed” in by Dats.  He did play like a man possessed tonight.

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 12:03 AM ET

klank's avatar

Beauchamin will not be buying Datsyuk dinner tonight.  haha

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/07/13 at 12:07 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I wonder if national media coverage of the Wings will somehow magically change next season when they’re in the East…

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 12:09 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 12:09 AM ET

HAHAHAHAH no

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/07/13 at 12:11 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Well summarized.  Datsyuk in the 3rd period was an absolute beast.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/07/13 at 12:15 AM ET

Primis's avatar

HAHAHAHAH no

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 05/07/13 at 12:11 AM ET

Well truthfully, all the Western teams get treated like Afterthoughts in most cases.  They’re what you talk about after you’ve spent the first 45 min. of the hour talking about the NYR, BOS, and now PIT.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 12:16 AM ET

calquake's avatar

I don’t live east but I’m sure the Wings national coverage has fallen off this year.  Would you say Detroit is mentioned most when they do talk Western teams or would that be Chicago?

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 12:20 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Y’know, you watch STL-LA, and you watch MIN-CHI… and you see just how plodding the ANA-DET series is at times.

The former 2 have a bit more hitting overall, and a lot more pace by and large.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 12:22 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 12:20 AM ET

I’d say at the end of the season it was (in order) it was CHI, CBS, ANA, MIN, LA (only because they’re defending champ probably), everyone else… VAN talk picked up a bit with the Luongo/Schneider drama too I guess.

They really have no interest in the DET-ANA series though, none at all.  And I’d say there are at least 3 Eastern series’ talked about more than any Western ones despite the fact that some of the Eastern games have been truly awful.

It is true, the West is just an afterthought, it’s what you are contractually obligated to talk about.  Especially with the Laffs in the playoffs finally again this year.  And now after the MTL-OTT game last night, it seems like it’s only going to get worse.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 12:27 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I’m starting to fall in love with this Wings team.  I think they’re finding an identity, and I like it.

that they were able to do it in one shortened season is astounding.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 12:30 AM ET

calquake's avatar

They really have no interest in the DET-ANA series though, none at all.

That’s interesting because I’m a member of an on-line NHL survey panel.  The DET-ANA series was voted most interesting series based on the panel voting.  Don’t know how many fans are involved but it’s the NHL so I’m sure it’s a good sampling.  Not saying you’re wrong.

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 12:34 AM ET

Primis's avatar

that they were able to do it in one shortened season is astounding.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 12:30 AM ET

With, what was the number of man games lost on top of it all?

Yeah, there was a reason I wondered aloud the other night if this season wouldn’t have been this way even if DET had landed Suter or somehow gotten another big-time d-man.  No camp, no preseason, the youth, the roster turnover, the injuries….  I sometimes sit during games and get mad that things aren’t going better, but after the games I remember how ridiculous it is that they’re not only in the playoffs, but making a series against a #2 seed.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 12:35 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 12:34 AM ET

Oh from a real hockey fan perspective DET-ANA should probably be THE most-compelling out of all 8 series coming in.  ANA had a run, stumbled, and had serious questions as a result.  DET had the down year, snuck in, but had the Ducks’ number in the season and seemed to be figuring some things out, and has the streak.

From a media perspective though, it’s not BOS-TOR, or NYR-WAS, or PIT-NYI (which the Isles ARE a great story)... and what the media creates as the reality tends to be so.

I bet a DET-CHI 2nd round meeting would really move the needle though even in the media.  Especially once some of those Eastern markets are out and they really need the storylines.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 12:41 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 12:41 AM ET

I will say L.A - St. Lose is an interesting series, very physical.  From a media standpoint the East is just that much easier to cover because you’re already tomorrow when the West’s stories are done.  Deadlines are a bitch.

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 12:47 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

“This has become our home,” Kronwall said, leaning against a wall in the dressing room, a posh oasis in a spartan, outdated arena. “I know they’ve been talking about building a new rink. I hope they don’t, as long as I’m here at least.

Kronner doesn’t want the Joe replaced.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/07/13 at 01:01 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Kronner doesn’t want the Joe replaced.

It’s not old… it’s vintage.

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 01:02 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Kronner doesn’t want the Joe replaced.

It’s not old… it’s vintage.

As I mentioned recently, I still catch myself referring to it as the Red Wings’ “new arena”.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/07/13 at 01:06 AM ET

Primis captured the finishing end of the OT winner by Brooooooner, I saw this and had to get it on here:

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/07/13 at 01:13 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/07/13 at 01:13 AM ET

Who made that outlet pass?

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 01:17 AM ET

Hi cal.  The best part I liked about that OT winner by Brunner?  ALL SIX Wings touched the puck.  Howard with the save. Rebound to Lashoff. Skate kicked the puck to Kindl. Stretch pass to Andersson. Breakout pass to Nyquist for a near breakaway chance. Finished by Brunner.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/07/13 at 01:27 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/07/13 at 01:27 AM ET

It may take a few seasons but the future is bright.  This summer has to bring in more change, whether UFA’s or more kids.  Tatar, Der Kaiser, Nyquil and maybe Lashoff should all be on the Opening Day roster.  Calle J is being billed as possibly ready.  I think we need a big scoring winger more than another D-man.  We’ll see what happens.

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 01:42 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I think we need a big scoring winger more than another D-man.

I think we need a first pairing defenseman to make everyone fit into their slots properly.  Ericsson - Dekeyser would be a fantastic second pairing.  Smith-Lashoff would be just fine as a third pairing… if there was a top pairing guy to go with Kronwall.  I do really, really hope the brass has learned from the logjam at forward the last few seasons and doesn’t create a further logjam at 5-6 defenseman by signing an available but not top pairing guy (which might be all that’s out there).

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/07/13 at 01:50 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/07/13 at 01:50 AM ET

Depending on what we would have had to give up, I think Detroit missed out when they didn’t go after Bouwmeester.

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 01:54 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Ima see all youse guys Wednesday.  Keep the faith.  L.G.R.W.

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 02:01 AM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/07/13 at 12:02 AM ET

I laughed out loud for a solid couple of minutes. This is the EXACT relationship I would love to have with my daughter if/when that ever happens. Thank you for brightening the end of my night with that gem.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/07/13 at 05:32 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Who made that outlet pass?

Who is Andersson?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/07/13 at 06:31 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Good morning!

I just finished reading every single one of your LB posts.

Wow.  Brunner with his second OT GWG.  Now why was his ass on the bench for the entire third period?

that they were able to do it in one shortened season is astounding.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 12:30 AM ET

My favorite post of the night.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/07/13 at 08:31 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Wish I could have been part of this LB last night, but was not to be.

What a game. It’s a good feeling to come to work in the spring and have the talk center around our team.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/07/13 at 08:53 AM ET