Abel to Yzerman

The Losing Continues

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

For those fans wishing hard for the Red Wings to sink to the bottom of the standings — increasing the odds for a better draft pick — it’s taking shape.

They’re losing, all right, and doing it on a consistent basis.

Monday was more of the same, with the Wings losing 5-3 in San Jose, extending their winless streak to seven (0-6-1)....

“We started good, scored early, didn’t take advantage of a power play, had some turnovers, and suddenly we put ourselves on our heels,” coach Jeff Blashill told Fox Sports Detroit.

Below are the game highlights and post-game interviews....

Highlight video may be slow to load.

Zetterberg, Nyquist, Howard and Blashill.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Keep increasing lottery chances

Posted by George0211 on 03/13/18 at 08:53 AM ET

Is anyone really eager to stay up late on the eastern time zone to see these meaningless late night contests? At some point there has to be a better use of my time.

Posted by evileye on 03/13/18 at 10:25 AM ET

Think Blashill started changing the lines after one shift. That’s not quick enough, maybe we can rotate players in and out continually instead of changing the lines all at once. Looks great on the bench with the players standing and shuffling back and forth. We need to get someone to put it to music, call it the “Blashill Shuffle” or maybe ” Scoot Down And Come Around”.

Posted by stateofmifan on 03/13/18 at 10:31 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I am indeed happy that the losing has begun in earnest.  Now is *not* the time to be winning games.

DET has 3 other teams below them within 4 points.  I’d like to see them fall down below at least a couple of OTT, MTL, and VAN and maybe slot in to one of those Bottom 3 slots.

Posted by Primis on 03/13/18 at 10:56 AM ET

Tank! Tank! Tank!

Posted by SlimChance on 03/13/18 at 11:00 AM ET

As a note, Mrazek needs 1 more win for the 3rd Rd condition. (I think).

But if stats are anything to go by, he’s been playing some absolutely dismal hockey

Posted by neffernin on 03/13/18 at 11:25 AM ET

Primis's avatar

As a note, Mrazek needs 1 more win for the 3rd Rd condition. (I think).

Posted by neffernin on 03/13/18 at 11:25 AM ET

When PHI traded for him I figured it was a slam dunk they’d re-sign him after the season and choose him over one of their other two goalies… and now I really doubt it.  In the last 6 starts for PHI he has won exactly 1 games and has given up 4, 6, 4, 4, 1, and 3 Goals.

I’d be very curious what the market for Mrazek would be.  It’d be very possible if PHI doesn’t re-up him that he finds no takers.  This was his shot, his showcase, and it really hasn’t been good.

It sure does make the hand-wringing over trading him away seem completely ridiculous, in retrospect.

Posted by Primis on 03/13/18 at 11:35 AM ET

Mrazek had better iron things out - he actually has something to play for,
including a possible starting role in the playoffs and a chance to ensure
the 4M, two year deal he’s wrapping up won’t be the high water mark of his career.

Great stretch, bad stretch, one game breather, good game, OK game…

It’ll be interesting to see if he can keep the job or if Neuvirth replaces him.

Well, it’s not like we can say that Howard has been any better over the same stretch of games.

Posted by Lefty30 on 03/13/18 at 11:42 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I believe it was Kahn who said he doesn’t expect Philly to resign him.

Really dismal effort by Petr.  He’s playing for a big-time contract - if not with Philly, with ANYONE looking for a legit #1 goalie this summer.  He has a chance to get a 4 or 5 year contract at $25+ mil by playing good, consistent hockey but he’s just not doing it.

It’s probably too late now, and since he likely won’t be qualified, he’ll probably be lucky to sign a 2 year contract at $3.5 mil/year.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/13/18 at 11:45 AM ET

Great stretch, bad stretch, one game breather, good game, OK game…

This is really weird because he was so consistent in Detroit!

if not with Philly, with ANYONE looking for a backup goalie this summer.

Fixed for accuracy.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 03/13/18 at 11:52 AM ET

I was not even planning to watch the game, but then 10:30 pm comes and I cannot help myself and still watch. Most difficult part is I know it’s better when they lose now, but when I watch I cannot root for them to lose, so I still root for them to win. As Murray said yesterday, losing, but still being competitive is the best scenario now.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/13/18 at 12:24 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Yeah, I saw the score when I woke up and was happy.  “Lose, closely”: Keep it close but still get the L in regulation.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/13/18 at 12:27 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

I sure wish A to Y would write an in-depth article about Chris Illich. The immediate future of our favorite team pretty much rests in his hands but we know almost nothing about him.  Who is he?  Does he know much about hockey?  Does he even care?  What’s his relationship with Ken Holland?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Posted by WingDingy on 03/13/18 at 12:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Chris I was a high school state champion hockey player and continues to play in men’s leagues.
Lacking much of anything public about the Wings, he recently praised the Tigers GM for implementing modern analytics and a staff that uses them to help evaluate prospects.  Even though the GM states he is not under any directive to slash salary, he has done just that and traded one of the highest contracts the Tigers had.

It could indicate a change in management is coming inasmuch as Holland is responsible for a number of lengthy contracts to middling players, leaving little roster flexibility unless they eat salary.  If Chris is inclined that way he still could be countermanded by Mrs Ilitch.

I don’t think we know much but he is a pretty sharp guy who does know hockey.  Does that translate to aggressive directives to the Red Wings?  We don’t know yet.

Posted by RWBill on 03/13/18 at 01:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Oh, and while in Florida recently he refused to answer any questions about Holland or the Wings, just the Tigers.

Posted by RWBill on 03/13/18 at 01:07 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Posted by evileye on 03/13/18 at 10:25 AM ET

I had the game on, out here in Satangayland, and it was actually pretty entertaining. Bert looked good, and Z was fun to watch. AA had some chances, and Mantha even got back on some defensive plays (granted, he was breaking up a shortie bid after Green pinched) but still. It was perfect! They scored first, fought hard, and lost in regulation! Go Habs, Sabres, Sens, Hawks (cough), Canucks!

Posted by Primis on 03/13/18 at 11:35 AM ET

That was probably not going to happen, since they have both their “main” guys for another year for $2.5-ish. They won’t qualify Razer (at $4mil) unless he gets them to the finals or something. But hey, one more Razer win, and that 4th becomes a 3rd! Woo!

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 03/13/18 at 02:41 PM ET