Abel to Yzerman

The Latest On Pavel Datsyuk

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

“We are meeting in the coming days to discuss options and future plans,” Milstein said. “It’s very likely Pavel will live up to his promise of playing for his hometown team in Russia.

“NHL options will also be discussed.”

Milstein said there’s a 90% probability of Datsyuk staying in Russia.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

While Datsyuk is popular with Wings fans and the team has room on the roster, it makes more sense for Datsyuk to finish his career in his Russian hometown.

Might be better to say, “While Datsyuk WAS popular with Wings fans…”

Great player, one of my favorites - and I have his jersey.  But no thanks.  Still not happy with how he left his contract, not to mention he’s not what this team needs right now.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/04/19 at 02:48 PM ET

I still like Dats. I always will.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 06/04/19 at 03:03 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

Datsyuk, 41, announced earlier this spring he was not going to return to SKA St. Petersburg, where he’d been playing since leaving the Red Wings after the 2015-16 season.

With that decision, and the mild speculation during the regular season that a Datsyuk-Red Wings reunion could take place, the idea of Datsyuk playing at Little Caesars Arena suddenly didn’t look too far-fetched.

But the arrival of Steve Yzerman as the Wings’ new general manager — and departure of Ken Holland to Edmonton in that same position — likely dimmed the chances of Datsyuk returning, the new regime wanting to go in a different direction.

The Wings’ only had lukewarm interest, preferring to stay the course on the current rebuild and give larger roles to young players — who would be held back by Datsyuk’s ice time.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/04/19 at 03:21 PM ET

My impression has been that this is just leverage for contract negotiations and he’ll be in Russia.
I’d love to watch him play again in Detroit though

Posted by Ventr on 06/04/19 at 03:52 PM ET

I hope he enjoys playing for his hometown team.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/04/19 at 03:58 PM ET

Thing that really hurts Datsyuk is his age followed closely by the cadaver tendons in his ankle. That being said, would trade Neilsen for Datsyuk.

Posted by stateofmifan on 06/04/19 at 04:24 PM ET

Matter of fact, rather have Datsyuk than any of the dead weight we have.

Posted by stateofmifan on 06/04/19 at 04:26 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I’d like to see Pavel back in Detroit, but in a suit ans tie, not skates.

Suiting him up back on the ice sends the wrong message, I think. One of Yzerman’s first moves would be to reach back to the past for help on a team that has to show it’s finally serious about the future.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 06/04/19 at 06:56 PM ET

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 06/04/19 at 06:56 PM ET
Agree totally winger, play the kids, was just being facetious, if we’re going to have any old players, I’d rather have it be Pavel.

Posted by stateofmifan on 06/04/19 at 07:28 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I still like Dats. I always will.

Loved watching him play. I also have his jersey, but time to move on. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 06/04/19 at 10:53 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Datsyuk will always be one of my favorite Wings players. The problem with retiring and coming back is you run the risk of tarnishing your own reputation because the new you isn’t able to keep up or play as well as the old you. I don’t want to see that happen, not to Datsyuk.

If he comes back to us, I want him to come back as a coach, scout, or something along those lines. I don’t want to see him as a player. He has so much skill to teach and knowledge to share, and the kids in our organization could learn a lot from a hockey mind like his.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/05/19 at 12:43 AM ET

AzWingsFan's avatar

I would love to see Dats part of the Wings again, but after he retires.  Maybe he would be interested in working as a scout in Russia, or come back to US to work with the kids.  Who knows what he might be able to teach some of the youngsters using some of the old school training drills from mother Russia. smile

Posted by AzWingsFan on 06/05/19 at 12:51 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

To talk like that Dats agent already had a discussion with SY…and SY said…no thanks !

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 06/05/19 at 01:54 AM ET

Paul's avatar

It’s official, Datsyuk has signed with Yekaterinburg.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/05/19 at 08:23 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Good to hear.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/05/19 at 09:47 AM ET

So, after 3 years playing for the richest KHL club he finally decides to play for his home team and be close to his daughter, aka the reason he left in the first place.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/05/19 at 05:32 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Playing in Russia is still closer to his family than playing anywhere in the NHL.

Why is this such a hard concept?

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/05/19 at 07:09 PM ET