Abel to Yzerman

The First Preseason Game For The Wings Is Tonight

Fox Sports Detroit Plus will have coverage, puck drop is just after 7:30pm.

If you want to discuss the game, there will be an open post for it on A2Y close to game time.

It's preseason and you can tell just by looking at the Blackhawks (below) roster tonight.

I am sure the spotlight will be on the youngsters tonight and the Wings play in Chicago tomorrow night.

added 11:35am,

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

Svechnikov said he is super pumped to play in his first game tonight since injuring his knee last preseason. But he also said he is not all the way back to where he was before the injury.

Not really what we need to hear him saying.  This is completely make or break for him.  He’s running out of time to make a case to be with the org entirely at this point.  DET has been patient, but they can’t be so forever.

#Blackhawks’ roster for tonight’s preseason game in Detroit: pic.twitter.com/uQOn3HxvyC

Looks like the Hawks are going the same as the Wings.  Lots of kids and minor leaguers.  Maybe McIlrath can end Andrew Shaw tonight or something fun…

Posted by Primis on 09/17/19 at 11:59 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’m not surprised, and it’s incredibly unfortunate for him and the franchise.  But particularly for Svech.

I had a freak injury six years ago while playing a sport and only now and I getting back to where I was pre-injury (and I’m still not even there yet, but closer than ever and feeling the best I have since then).  It’s incredible how some of these unfortunate injuries can derail everything.

Sometimes all you can do is be patient with the process and try your best to slowly make your way back to where you were before.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/17/19 at 12:16 PM ET

Not really what we need to hear him saying.

So, you’d prefer he lie?

DET has been patient, but they can’t be so forever.

Jesus, you know the guy was injured, right? Torn ACL? Surgery? He wasn’t just dogging it last year…

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 09/17/19 at 12:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Four intense days of skating in training camp were tough but helped him prepare.

“It’s a little bit, I wouldn’t say not in shape, but I can feel that I was not on the ice for all season,” Svechnikov said. “It’s kind of double work for me. It’s conditioning-wise and just feeling the game again. I feel it’s going to take a little bit of time, but it’s coming. Every day it’s better and better and it feels like it’s going to be getting better. I’m looking forward to it feeling better.”

A good-sized winger (6-3, 212) with offensive ability, Svechnikov, 22, will be skating on a line with Michael Rasmussen at center and Taro Hirose.

“I think it’s a long time to be out and super hard,” coach Jeff Blashill said. “No real high expectations; let him go out and feel his way into this thing. You got to get used to how your leg feels. Anyone who’s had any kind of injury knows it’s never the same. It’s hard at the beginning of any year to have all your habits ingrained and be able to play without thinking, but it’s really hard for a guy who’s missed tons of time to play without thinking. That’s the way you have to play to be faster.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/17/19 at 01:34 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Dana Wakiji of the Wings’ website,

Forwards Dylan Larkin, Andreas Athanasiou and Darren Helm are all fighting through a few nagging things following training camp.

Blashill said there was nothing really new on them.

“Again, like I said the other day, I don’t want two days to turn into two weeks,” Blashill said. “It’s a lot of soft tissue stuff. So we’ll take our time with it. I don’t anticipate any of those guys necessarily being in tomorrow but we’re looking at Friday as potential so we’ll see, but nothing big.”

Defenseman Mike Green, who missed the Red and White Game along with Larkin and Helm, could be ready a little sooner.

“Mike could potentially play tomorrow,” Blashill said. “I’m looking at him potentially for tomorrow, maybe Friday.”

The Wings play Wednesday in Chicago against the Blackhawks and then host the New York Islanders Friday.

more, mostly on Svechnikov…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/17/19 at 01:55 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

As I said previously, I will be there tonight. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 09/17/19 at 04:13 PM ET

I totally wish those top two lines were our 3rd and 4th lines this year…. if only.

Agree, the wings have been patient with Svech…. now, how much was over patience in typical old wings style… but what a waste of a pick if he doesn’t turn out, so many picks from the first round that year are playing and contributing.  I’ve always thought he looked good when he played but screwed behind our plethora of grinders.

I absolutely hate the top six, bottom six…. the third line needs to be an offensive line, maybe players that need to be more sheltered, but an offensive line and you have one checking line, not two….

So if you’re going to go with the top line, then Fil/Nielsen and AA and say… Hirose?  Then your third line should be Fil/Nielsen, with Svech and another younger player.  And a 4th line of cheaper guys too.  Keep Glenny, and use De La Rose and Ehn.  Speed, cheap, hungry.

Surely Helm has some trade value no?

Posted by DieByTheWing on 09/17/19 at 04:21 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Is this streaming anywhere?

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/17/19 at 06:52 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Nvm looks like the nhl.tv hockey package is streaming it…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/17/19 at 06:55 PM ET

He obviously won’t be in the Wings lineup until he’s 100% again but that doesn’t mean he could still be part of the future. If he progresses well enough this season in GR they could probably re-sign him as an RFA pretty cheap and hope he is ready for NHL play in the next 2 years. It’s not ideal but I’m not ready to write him off because he had an injury last year.

Posted by evileye on 09/18/19 at 10:23 AM ET