Abel to Yzerman

The Detroit Red Wings Will Select 6th In The NHL Draft

Third year in a row they have fallen.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

TreKronor's avatar

Freaking would have been nice if they’d lost a few more games the last few weeks… Ugh.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/09/19 at 08:44 PM ET

Feels like the malaise of this season is going to stick with us for a long time.

My wife said we need to find a new team to watch, she’s fed up with watching bad hockey.

Posted by Ventr on 04/09/19 at 08:47 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

If the Wings didn’t have bad luck, they would have no luck at all.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/09/19 at 08:57 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Really, had they beaten buffalo they may have gotten the Rangers numbers and be in the top 3.  This is why you don’t bother tryting to tank, in addition to not sending a crippling message to the players.

Posted by RWBill on 04/09/19 at 08:57 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

It’s all luck

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/09/19 at 09:00 PM ET

It’s annoying, because it’s not development, its playing good hockey in garbage time, on top of getting outshot quite a bit even though they were managing to win….
I always say, it isn’t about having better odds for the top choices, it’s about how far you can fall back.  The lower you are, the less far you can go back…. had they finished 2nd or third…. then they could only fall to 5th or 6th…. max…. oh well.  As much as I didn’t think they’d get the top 2… I was really hoping for a chance at the Top D… now, let’s just hope they make the right call on whichever C’s are left to them.  Sad night.  Seriously, Chicago?  Hughes centering Hall, with Nico as a 2C is looking pretty damn good for the devils though.  The Hawks get a potentially NHL ready W as well….
Sigh…....

Posted by DieByTheWing on 04/09/19 at 09:00 PM ET

I imagine if I didn’t live in the Chicago are I wouldn’t be quite so sour right now.  Icing on the cake, I have to go to work in about an hour where there’s several people are big Hawk fans who know I’m a Wing fan.  This shift is going to suck.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/09/19 at 09:13 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I’m actually very angry because the hawks got the third pick.. I don’t trust gary’s lottery system..

LGRW

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/09/19 at 09:16 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Just look at it this way: in a few years when DET is firing on all cylinders and teams like MTL, COL, and CHI are still playing the draft lottery game, it’ll be all the sweeter then to point out that DET did it without ever having a single really high pick.

Posted by Primis on 04/09/19 at 09:19 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/09/19 at 09:19 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If the Wings didn’t have bad luck, they would have no luck at all.

BB King I believe…

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/09/19 at 09:22 PM ET

That look by Holland is the same one I get when I think about another year of him and Blash.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/09/19 at 09:23 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I am afraid so…..

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/09/19 at 09:25 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I expect you to do great stuff with that 6th pick KENNY!  You wanted it so bad with the late season heroics this season. Time to produce!

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/09/19 at 09:29 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Still, knowing the propensity for teams to prefer forwards perhaps Bowen Byram isn’t beyond reach…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 04/09/19 at 09:33 PM ET

Neznarf's avatar

Can we start talking about who we want with that 6th pick?  I’m hoping neither LA or Colorado want to draft defense and we end up with Bowen Byram.

Posted by Neznarf on 04/09/19 at 09:34 PM ET

So, it’s between Byrum, Cozens and Turcotte I guess.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/09/19 at 09:36 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

When Chicago moved up to the top three I think everyone in the neighborhood heard me scream.  Here I am in Chicago and I’m probably the only one screaming, because nearly everyone here has forgotten they have a team.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/09/19 at 09:38 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

This could kind of be a blessing in disguise… There are a couple of D-men who are ranked around the 4-7 hole, and that’s this team’s most glaring need. Just trying to put a positive spin, here.

Posted by Steeb on 04/09/19 at 09:43 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

It could be a silver lining after another shaft against the Red Wings. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 04/09/19 at 09:43 PM ET

First and one of our seconds to move a spot or to for Byrum?

Posted by SevensForTed on 04/09/19 at 09:53 PM ET

d ca's avatar

So, it’s between Byrum, Cozens and Turcotte I guess.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/09/19 at 09:36 PM ET

Add Dach plus Krebs and take away the d-man Byrum and you got it.

Posted by d ca on 04/09/19 at 09:58 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

First and one of our seconds to move a spot or to for Byrum?

No you loose that extra 2 games during the final 10 games so you don’t loose a 2nd.

Not worth it.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/09/19 at 10:11 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Can’t get the player you wanted then trade down and get Knight so no one else in the east gets knight and makes it harder for the wings to get to the playoffs. Grab him.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/09/19 at 10:14 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Let’s assume the wings tanked and got the 2nd worst record.
Using these same results, they would have dropped to…5th. One whole place better.

Everyone is at the mercy of the ping pong balls

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/09/19 at 10:26 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Tanking gets you nothing. Look at Chicago. If anything it’s rigged.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 04/09/19 at 10:30 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

Curses.  Foiled again.  Bad karma.

Posted by WingDingy on 04/09/19 at 10:41 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

“If it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have no luck at all” is a line from the song, “Born under A Bad Sign”.  It was an ALBERT King staple for years,

Posted by WingDingy on 04/09/19 at 10:54 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Well, atleast it wasnt Edmonton again. I woulda thrown my wig on the carpet and pee’d on it

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/09/19 at 11:17 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Screw the lottery. It’s a process no one trusts (except those who jump up a bunch of slots). So, how about this…

1. Any team who finishes in the bottom three two years in a row, picks #4 thru #6 (depending on how the other three teams did).

2. Any team who finishes in the bottom six three years (or more) in a row, picks #11 thru #16 (depending on how the other six teams did).

3. In each of those instances, everyone else moves up in the order in which they finished. No one moves up nine slots like the Hawks did this year. Or 10 slots like the Canes did last year and the Flyers did the year before.

With a system like that (or something similar), no team gets rewarded for tanking on a regular basis and (more importantly) no team gets rewarded because of some random draw that no one trusts.

But the reality is that a system like that will never be adopted by the league as long as the Garden Gnome is in charge because he wants the fake drama that we saw tonight. It’s never about fairness with that SOB. It’s always about the $$$.

But I have to say, I was relieved to see a post-reveal comment tonight from BigFrog. When they announced the Hawks were in the Top Three, I thought for sure he was a goner.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/10/19 at 12:32 AM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

The league doesn’t give a shit as long as the money keeps rolling in. The parity from the cap and the lottery make them more money. It’s not going anywhere.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/10/19 at 01:20 AM ET

I have a solution. no more lottery balls.

the highest point team that DOESN’T make the playoffs gets #1. then work down to last place. then playoff teams first out up to cup winner.

They get the best kid in the draft. the last place teams will have to become more efficient with #16/17/18th etc.
if you want better, work harder, win more.no one will ever tank again. period.

I personally thin it would be very difficult to have a team “hang” in the middle in hopes of grabbing #1. the most movement in the standings is in the middle. least predictable.

In sports as in life, we should never again chant “lose for hughes” that mentality is ....ing wrong.

Posted by luvmnger on 04/10/19 at 01:28 AM ET

I’m not super familiar with LA’s prospect system since they’ve been trying to win until this year… even at the start of this year.  So they are a definite wild card, and Doughty is getting older if this isn’t a quick turn around thing for them which it probably isn’t.
Colorado I fear, could take Byrum.  They have a pretty good D prospect in the system, but they are pretty talented up front already, so I could see them taking Byrum….. but they could want deeper C depth too…. hard to say.  I think either way they will get something they need, a really good C or if they are lucky Byrum.  Its just the likliehood of that person being a superstar is less unfortunately.  But it could still happen.  They need to find an Elias Peterson.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 04/10/19 at 07:07 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by luvmnger on 04/10/19 at 01:28 AM ET

Yeah the lose for Hughes runs the antithesis of nature. Was not for it.

And it’s a strange coincidence that the top three are big market teams. I am

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 04/10/19 at 07:19 AM ET

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 04/09/19 at 09:43 PM ET

That’s my view of this.

But my God, how unlucky is this team?
Jersey with 1st pick again? They have 15 fans total. This is so frustrating.

Posted by George0211 on 04/10/19 at 08:21 AM ET

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 04/10/19 at 09:41 AM ET

But my God, how unlucky is this team?

I know, right? Can you believe it?????

After ending a 25-season playoff streak they’ve missed the playoffs three whole times and STILL haven’t won the lottery?!?!??!??!?!??!?!?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 04/10/19 at 09:43 AM ET

I know, right? Can you believe it?????

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 04/10/19 at 09:43 AM ET

Not just not winning the lottery, but dropping in the draft ranks for 3 years, that’s the unlucky part.

Posted by George0211 on 04/10/19 at 09:45 AM ET

Well, statistically, that was the likliest spot for them to end up…... that’s the unfortunate part.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 04/10/19 at 10:01 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by luvmnger on 04/10/19 at 01:28 AM ET

I actually like this approach just as much as the one I proposed. And it’s a lot less complicated. That alone pretty much assures that it’ll never get the Garden Gnome’s blessing.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/10/19 at 10:40 AM ET